2019/20 Rivals - Arsenal

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Your defence is still ultra shite
It is not great.

If only we had CB's of the calibre of Lindelof, Smalling, Jones and Rojo getting games. Not to mention FB's like Young and Darmian. Then..... We'd be in the exact same position.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
No Ozil for tonight is disappointing.
No Laca is also disappointing.
No Kolasinac either.

Torreira coming back to training late, so I don't expect he will start, which is also disappointing.

Will Luiz start straight away with Sokratis? Or will Emery go with his pre-season pairing of Sokratis and Chambers. I suspect he will as he's been pragmatic about introducing new players into the side in the past.

I wonder how we will set-up. I'm thinking it will be:

Auba
Nelson - Ceballos - Mhki
Xhaka - Doozi
Monreal - Sokratis - Chambers - AMN
Leno
Hopefully we see Pepe get 20 minutes or so.

ArjenIsM3

No Ozil for tonight is disappointing.
No Laca is also disappointing.
No Kolasinac either.

Torreira coming back to training late, so I don't expect he will start, which is also disappointing.

Will Luiz start straight away with Sokratis? Or will Emery go with his pre-season pairing of Sokratis and Chambers. I suspect he will as he's been pragmatic about introducing new players into the side in the past.

I wonder how we will set-up. I'm thinking it will be:

Auba
Nelson - Ceballos - Mhki
Xhaka - Doozi
Monreal - Sokratis - Chambers - AMN
Leno​
That's not a lineup that would strike me with fear if I were your opponent tbh

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
That's not a lineup that would strike me with fear if I were your opponent tbh
Agree. But it is missing more than half of our starters:

Laca
Ozil
Pepe
Torreira
Tierney
Bellerin
And Luiz/Holding

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It is not great.

If only we had CB's of the calibre of Lindelof, Smalling, Jones and Rojo getting games. Not to mention FB's like Young and Darmian. Then..... We'd be in the exact same position.
Why did you conveniently omit 3/4 starting defenders from our team:lol:

That's our depth, something called backup. I don't know if that's something gooner fans are even aware of:lol:

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

That's our depth, something called backup. I don't know if that's something gooner fans are even aware of:lol:
You realise that United conceded more goals than Arsenal did last season, right? No? Thought not.

And this was while we were missing our starting RB and CB, who was in great form, for a significant period of time. Let's see what happens once they return to the side, along with Tierney and (dare I say it) Luiz.

Your defense was even more shambolick than ours. It seems you conveniently forgot that.

:lol:

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

Are you actually bragging about having depth because you've got loads of deadwood?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Are you actually bragging about having depth because you've got loads of deadwood?
He hasn't thought it through and looks the fool.

Having said that this whole debate is essential over whether a turd sandwich would be better on rye bread or ciabatta.

ayushreddevil9

I simply stated the backup players we have which the other poster talked up as starting players. If you want to compare your starting defence with our backup then so be it.

ayushreddevil9

He hasn't thought it through and looks the fool.

Having said that this whole debate is essential over whether a turd sandwich would be better on rye bread or ciabatta.
I called out your first team defence shite and you brought up all the players who are going to be backup for us and yet I am the fool here by your logic:lol:

Well can't expect gonner fans to have brains so..

ayushreddevil9

You realise that United conceded more goals than Arsenal did last season, right? No? Thought not.

And this was while we were missing our starting RB and CB, who was in great form, for a significant period of time. Let's see what happens once they return to the side, along with Tierney and (dare I say it) Luiz.

Your defense was even more shambolick than ours. It seems you conveniently forgot that.

:lol:
Again I don't see why you excluded AWB, Shaw and Maguire. Also don't understand the logic of talking up last season when there's a simple argument that Arsenal's defence is shit(obv my opinion) for the upcoming season. Didn't even compare it United's.

But yeah keep twisting it.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Think the first choice defence of both teams are pretty similar in strength. Bellerin -Sokratis-Holding-Tierney vs AwB-Lindelof-Maguire-Shaw. Think Utd shades it because their defenders aren't as injury prone. I doubt we'll get to see our back four line up together even once this season.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Think the first choice defence of both teams are pretty similar in strength. Bellerin -Sokratis-Holding-Tierney vs AwB-Lindelof-Maguire-Shaw. Think Utd shades it because their defenders aren't as injury prone. I doubt we'll get to see our back four line up together even once this season.
I think our defence is a level above yours. It should be, we’ve just spent £130 Million upgrading it.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I called out your first team defence shite and you brought up all the players who are going to be backup for us and yet I am the fool here by your logic:lol:

Well can't expect gonner fans to have brains so..
Because I'm an Arsenal fan I don't have brains? This is what the Caf is allowing through the newbies these days?

Let me break it down for you because you're struggling here. This is real simple now:

You said our defense was rubbish.

Your defence shipped more goals last year. It was even worse.

Our defense was missing two starting quality players for a significant period of time, yet still conceded less.

These two players are due to return, along with Tierney and Luiz. That's four starting quality players due to come in to the side.

You can cry about not having Shaw, Maguire and AWB mentioned all you like. That wasn't the point. They are all good, capable players. Same too with the four players due to come back into our squad.

You clearly failed to realise that both defenses are in the same position - both crap, and both have starting quality players that will be added in to in. We have four, and you have two.

If you want to continue to look stupid please carry on, otherwise let's leave it there.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I think our defence is a level above yours. It should be, we’ve just spent £130 Million upgrading it.
I think Maguire is clearly that best CB out of both squads. After that I'd prefer Sokratis, Luiz and Holding over Lindelof. But that isn't saying much.

For United it will depend on how Maguire and DDG are able to marshall the defence. I think they will do well in that regard.

ayushreddevil9

Because I'm an Arsenal fan I don't have brains? This is what the Caf is allowing through the newbies these days?

Let me break it down for you because you're struggling here. This is real simple now:

You said our defense was rubbish.

Your defence shipped more goals last year. It was even worse.

Our defense was missing two starting quality players for a significant period of time, yet still conceded less.

These two players are due to return, along with Tierney and Luiz. That's four starting quality players due to come in to the side.

You can cry about not having Shaw, Maguire and AWB mentioned all you like. That wasn't the point. They are all good, capable players. Same too with the four players due to come back into our squad.

You clearly failed to realise that both defenses are in the same position - both crap, and both have starting quality players that will be added in to in. We have four, and you have two.

If you want to continue to look stupid please carry on, otherwise let's leave it there.
If I am saying that your defence is rubbish then it DOESN'T mean that I am saying that utd's is better. Is it so difficult to understand? Its clear that who is struggling here.

And yeah do some research before calling someone a newbie. Or keep being a fool like you have been. Adds to what I said earlier.

Acole9

Outstanding
I quite like David Luiz (For some reason) but what Arsenal definitely didn't need was another erratic centre back.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think Maguire is clearly that best CB out of both squads. After that I'd prefer Sokratis, Luiz and Holding over Lindelof. But that isn't saying much.

For United it will depend on how Maguire and DDG are able to marshall the defence. I think they will do well in that regard.
Lindelöf is better than all but Sokratis IMO

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
I quite like David Luiz (For some reason) but what Arsenal definitely didn't need was another erratic centre back.
I can't believe it's taken us this long to sign him. Perfectly suited to our club. Has days where he's brilliant and others right out of a tragicomedy.

He'll fit right in.

ArjenIsM3

Agree. But it is missing more than half of our starters:

Laca
Ozil
Pepe
Torreira
Tierney
Bellerin
And Luiz/Holding
Yeah you've got a very good team when everyone's available. Better than ours on paper. Our defence is probably better, midfield equal, but your attack is significantly better

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah you've got a very good team when everyone's available. Better than ours on paper. Our defence is probably better, midfield equal, but your attack is significantly better
I think Martial should become a top class player, and both he and Rashford will surprise a few this season.

Fooza

I agree about Luiz playing in a back 3. He is a ball playing center half. I mentioned this in my previous posts. If we see him played in a back 4 I'll be worried.

Tierney is a humble lad, will give everything for the shirt. Still hasnt kicked a ball for us so I cant comment on his quality. If we are talking about his time for Celtic he was always a tidy player. His 'injury' was a hernia, not expecting that to effect his football career in the slightest.

Ceballos from the limited time I've watched him l quite like the look of. An aggressive box to box midfielder looking for the forward pass and link up play.

When CBs are going for 80 mil now Saliba could be an absolute steal at 25. Hopefully he has a good year and progresses nicely out on loan.

Seems weird that they get labelled as very average signings before they've even kicked a ball for us. On paper, I'd say they were what we needed, they were what we could afford, and that it's a bloody nice change to see Arsenal actually doing proper business in the transfer window.

As mentioned before I predict we'll finish 3rd this season. Comfortably.
I can have an opinion that they average based on what I've seen when they played for their former clubs, what league they played in and then basing on it on how they will do in the PL. I'm also basing it on the other team's signings and I feel the likes of Wolves have signed players that are better.

Just because Arsenal bought and filled positions that they needed don't they automatically signed good players. We will see how well they do as you're right thats the main thing.

gajender

I can have an opinion that they average based on what I've seen when they played for their former clubs, what league they played in and then basing on it on how they will do in the PL. I'm also basing it on the other team's signings and I feel the likes of Wolves have signed players that are better.

Just because Arsenal bought and filled positions that they needed don't they automatically signed good players. We will see how well they do as you're right thats the main thing.
Please do tell who exactly have Wolves signed that is so much better because I simply can't figure out the reason why they are being overrated so much posters tipping them to break into top 6 it's getting ridiculous.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

I’ll give you 25-1 odds that Wolves finish ahead of Arsenal. Would you take that bet?

Oxeki

Supports
Arsenal

Jeez... So wolves signed better players than arsenal?

At least, if you want to wum, try doing it well.

Fooza

Please do tell who exactly have Wolves signed that is so much better because I simply can't figure out the reason why they are being overrated so much posters tipping them to break into top 6 it's getting ridiculous.
In my opinion, Jesus Vallejo is better signing than David Luiz. Wolves will be close to the top 6, I think Patrick Cutrone will do excellent for them too but I won't compare that to Arsenal as they have better strikers. But I feel Wolves went with a plan to improve their team on a whole and I think they did. Arsenal for me defensively still weak. Ended up getting plan B and C instead of A based on their budget.

And let's not forget we comparing Arsenal ambitions to Wolves here. I'll make bold predictions here, having watched Ligue 1 I think Pepe is too lightweight and my first thought he's going to struggle with PL's strength and defence. David Luiz disaster, disaster, injury. Saliba has immense potential they did well there. The rest won't exactly be a hit. Let's see if I'm wrong.

Fooza

I’ll give you 25-1 odds that Wolves finish ahead of Arsenal. Would you take that bet?
I think Arsenal will finish within 5-6 pts above Wolves. It'll be a tight 4-7 position gap this year.
Edit may aswell do my prediction here:

City
Liverpool
Spurs
--------
United/Arsenal/Chelsea/Wolves very tight pt gap

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I think Arsenal will finish within 5-6 pts above Wolves. It'll be a tight 4-7 position gap this year.
Edit may aswell do my prediction here:

City
Liverpool
Spurs
--------
United/Arsenal/Chelsea/Wolves very tight pt gap
Why do you think Wolves are going to do better this season than they did last? Even though they'll have less time to rest between games and will have to play Thurs-Sun

Fooza

Why do you think Wolves are going to do better this season than they did last? Even though they'll have less time to rest between games and will have to play Thurs-Sun
Patched up defence, improved attack along with keeping their best players. Last season they managed 57 points, scored 47 (will improve because they brought in a stronger striker) conceded 46, but they brought in defensive players who I think will improve that side. Even though it's a loan signing Jesus Vallejo will improve them this year massively.

I won't under estimate them, I think they will at least get 65-70 pts this season. You're right though Europa league may hinder them. They don't have the squad depth to deal with that.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Patched up defence, improved attack along with keeping their best players. Last season they managed 57 points, scored 47 (will improve because they brought in a stronger striker) conceded 46, but they brought in defensive players who I think will improve that side. Even though it's a loan signing Jesus Vallejo will improve them this year massively.

I won't under estimate them, I think they will at least get 65-70 pts this season. You're right though Europa league may hinder them. They don't have the squad depth to deal with that.
You're massively overrating them, there's no chance they'll get 70 points this season.

Arsenal also patched up their defence, improved their attack and kept their best players. Does that mean we'll finish 13 points better than we did last season? And if you don't think we will, then why do you think Wolves will?

ArjenIsM3

I think Martial should become a top class player, and both he and Rashford will surprise a few this season.
One can hope, but Arsenal's attack is filled with established players while what we've got is potential. We don't yet know whether they will realise their potential.

Fooza

You're massively overrating them, there's no chance they'll get 70 points this season.

Arsenal also patched up their defence, improved their attack and kept their best players. Does that mean we'll finish 13 points better than we did last season? And if you don't think we will, then why do you think Wolves will?
Improved attack - yes (which wasn't a problem)
Kept their best players - in your main forwards yes but still lost Aaron Ramsey, huge loss imo and not replaced. Cabellos wasn't sufficient.
Patched up defence - In Tierney in a way, central defence is still a serious serious mess.

Defence is as important as attack, that's why I won't say you'll finish 13 pts better. I feel Arsenal fans think they did well only on the basis of having a budget. Can you say you have improved your defensive side at all? I'd like to know where?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Kept their best players - in your main forwards yes but still lost Aaron Ramsey, huge loss imo and not replaced. Cabellos wasn't sufficient.
Patched up defence - In Tierney in a way, central defence is still a serious serious mess.

Defence is as important as attack, that's why I won't say you'll finish 13 pts better. I feel Arsenal fans think they did well only on the basis of having a budget. Can you say you have improved your defensive side at all? I'd like to know where?
I don't think we've massively improved our defence, I'm just using your logic.

You think they'll be 13 points better because they signed a 22 year old CB who played 7 games last season and a 21 year old striker who scored 3 goals in 34 apps in the Serie A. Definitely had a better transfer window than Arsenal.

Your opinion is a joke honestly :lol:

Cutrone will be great for them despite flopping in Serie A but Pepe is going to struggle in England. And a 22 year old CB who has barely played is going to have more of an impact than a 32 year old who's won almost every trophy there is to win :houllier:

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Ramsey hasn't had a meaningful impact on a season in over 4 years. Wish we sold him years ago as he has just been useless as long as I can remember. Ceballos is a big upgrade there as far as I am concerned.

Fooza

Ramsey hasn't had a meaningful impact on a season in over 4 years. Wish we sold him years ago as he has just been dross. Ceballos is a big upgrade there as far as I am concerned.
Really? The Aaron Ramsey you fans manage to always say that he's put the most effort in the games when the team didn't give a toss and plays direct, suddenly he's dross. :houllier: Makes no sense that you'd put Cabellos ahead of Ramsey. What makes you think he'll be an upgrade?

John_Jensen

Ramsey hasn't had a meaningful impact on a season in over 4 years. Wish we sold him years ago as he has just been useless as long as I can remember. Ceballos is a big upgrade there as far as I am concerned.

He was the best player in the squad from when he got back into the team after Christmas up til his injury against Napoli.

Consisntantly played well in a string of big matches, and after his injury the Always Say Die attitude returned to the squad almost immediately.

Fooza

I don't think we've massively improved our defence, I'm just using your logic.

You think they'll be 13 points better because they signed a 22 year old CB who played 7 games last season and a 21 year old striker who scored 3 goals in 34 apps in the Serie A. Definitely had a better transfer window than Arsenal.

Your opinion is a joke honestly :lol:

Cutrone will be great for them despite flopping in Serie A but Pepe is going to struggle in England. And a 22 year old CB who has barely played is going to have more of an impact than a 32 year old who's won almost every trophy there is to win :houllier:
Let me guess, you're man of stats and what they've won but don't watch them play.

Honestly, not sure why're you're stating ages but okay if Luiz is a 32year old CB is what you need, then okay you had a better deal :lol:. Suddenly he's won more trophies so it automatically makes the player better? How about his injury record? How many mistakes has he made throughout his career? Does Arsenal need a player need a player with that many errors in his defence?

But no he's won trophies, you got the better defender. (and my opinion is joke...)