2019/20 Rivals - Arsenal

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
you think a team should not buy a player they want because he might miss a month with injury?
Why should they wait a month for a player they spent a lot of their budget on and rely on an unreliable backup option?

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Why should they wait a month for a player they spent a lot of their budget on and rely on an unreliable backup option?
its literally one month. players get hurt all the time. he just happened to be hurt at the beginning of his time here. no one would blink if he got hurt in november or february.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I know football fans are great optimists, but there's no way in hell you'll be anywhere near competing next season, unless you have some sort of miraculous transfer window, and City and Liverpool either change manager, or have really unexpected issues.

Emery might hit his peak though, but that'll probably be competing for 4th.
Agree, Emery needs to go. We'll probably still be involved for fourth this year. Whether we compete for the title will depend a lot on if Pepe turns out to be a dud and who we get in next year.

VJ1762

If you face the relentless pressure we did, then your defenders are bound to make mistakes. It's all on Emery. Making Watford look like Liverpool
The mad thing is, you actually faced less shots against Liverpool than against Watford. Whatever happens with Arsenal in away games? It's been a problem for you guys for many years. Is steve bould still your defensive coach?

JazzG

Resident Arse.
It's been said on twitter a few times but people have talked about how Frank Lampard has been at Chelsea for two months. In that time they have changed their style and time will tell if he will be a success. But you can see what he is trying to do with his team.

Emery has been with us for over a year now and I still have no idea what kind of football he is trying to play or what he is trying to do for that matter. The way the team performs reflects that, the only think that has been saving him is individual performances. Even during our unbeaten run last season we were fecking shit many of those games and lucky not to lose. For a pragmatic manager we give away chances for fun, our attack play lacks imagination and for a club who in the last two decades was known world over as an entertaining free flowing attacking team, we now have no identity or no defined style. We're not an attacking team and not a defensive team. No structure to our team and I think the players don't have a clue what he's fecking doing either.

His contract is up this summer and 100% I'd get rid, can't be dealing with this dull lifeless football. Hell I'd get rid even sooner but don't know who we could get in quickly.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's been said on twitter a few times but people have talked about how Frank Lampard has been at Chelsea for two months. In that time they have changed their style and time will tell if he will be a success. But you can see what he is trying to do with his team.

Emery has been with us for over a year now and I still have no idea what kind of football he is trying to play or what he is trying to do for that matter. The way the team performs reflects that, the only think that has been saving him is individual performances. Even during our unbeaten run last season we were fecking shit many of those games and lucky not to lose. For a pragmatic manager we give away chances for fun, our attack play lacks imagination and for a club who in the last two decades was known world over as an entertaining free flowing attacking team, we now have no identity or no defined style. We're not an attacking team and not a defensive team. No structure to our team and I think the players don't have a clue what he's fecking doing either.

His contract is up this summer and 100% I'd get rid, can't be dealing with this dull lifeless football. Hell I'd get rid even sooner but don't know who we could get in quickly.
The exact same thing was said about Emery this time last year, 'oh look at the wonderful things Emery is doing at Arsenal, why hasn't Mourinho managed to do that at United in 2 years blah blah blah'

Why people continue to get caught up in the short term success of a new manager bounce is beyond me

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
The mad thing is, you actually faced less shots against Liverpool than against Watford. Whatever happens with Arsenal in away games? It's been a problem for you guys for many years. Is steve bould still your defensive coach?
Even Liverpool was an away game we didn't face nearly as much trouble there. And credit where its due, Watford were playing out of their skins. But we already knew that the new manager bounce can make teams(and coaches) look world class, didn't we?:D

JazzG

Resident Arse.
The exact same thing was said about Emery this time last year, 'oh look at the wonderful things Emery is doing at Arsenal, why hasn't Mourinho managed to do that at United in 2 years blah blah blah'

Why people continue to get caught up in the short term success of a new manager bounce is beyond me
I have no idea if Lampard will be successful or not, my point is within a short space of time he has changed the way his club plays. Too early to say anything more than that. Klopp at Liverpool, within 6 months you could see what he was trying to do. It has been over a year and nothing has improved with us despite having some very good players available to him. Our defending is still a shambles and in attack noway near good enough.

If anyone watched Emery last year and thought he was doing wonderful things then I wouldn't really pay too much attention to their football opinions....

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I have no idea if Lampard will be successful or not, my point is within a short space of time he has changed the way his club plays. Too early to say anything more than that. Klopp at Liverpool, within 6 months you could see what he was trying to do. It has been over a year and nothing has improved with us despite having some very good players available to him. Our defending is still a shambles and in attack noway near good enough.

If anyone watched Emery last year and thought he was doing wonderful things then I wouldn't really pay too much attention to their football opinions....
Well indeed but this place is like a car crash isn't it, you cant help but look

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

I don't know whether people though he was going wonderful things but there was change in how Arsenal played when Emery took over, for the most noticeable was overloading the wide ares and making many overlapping runs.

Two year contract with an option to extend, Gazidis fecked us up by bringing this guy in at least he didn't give him a long contract.
Most of you guys were happy with him last season though. Who was a better option at the time?

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
After a year and a bit, we are still playing a playing out from the back system with substandard players. This absolute kills us in away games. I don't normally watch AFTV but a guy on there called Lee nailed it yesterday. What we are seeing is on a continuation of the end of last season where we won 1 out of our last 8 games and bottled Champions League qualification.

Kolasinac is better going forward, AMN's awareness is pityful. The two centrebacks are like the chuckle brothers. To top it all off, we have a quarterback CDM Xhaka who can't receive the ball under pressure and is one of the most immobile players I have ever seen. I thought by bringing in a new manager, we would still play expansive football, but we would be smarter tactically, especially away from home. We would be set up right and teams would atleast struggle to break us down. As I explained, the players may be substandard, but drilled and organised right, we should still be seeing far better performances. Emery doesn't seem to be able to do this...which is why it could be a very long season.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
I don't know whether people though he was going wonderful things but there was change in how Arsenal played when Emery took over, for the most noticeable was overloading the wide ares and making many overlapping runs.
I am exaggerating a bit, you can see the differences but we also don't have exceptional fullbacks like Liverpool. Some of our games were just attempted cut back after cut back.

Most of you guys were happy with him last season though. Who was a better option at the time?
We were close to getting Arteta, at the time I was all for it. Would have been a much bigger gamble than Emery though.

We were close to getting Arteta, at the time I was all for it. Would have been a much bigger gamble than Emery though.
True, my friend whose a gooner doesn't rate Emery and never has, at the time he wanted Henry & Artea.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I am exaggerating a bit, you can see the differences but we also don't have exceptional fullbacks like Liverpool. Some of our games were just attempted cut back after cut back.

From a Chelsea perspective I was happy you got Emery over Arteta.

Emery I knew from his previous record was nothing special and you would never get back to early Wenger years with him incharge, whereas with Arteta there's the unknown, could have gone badly wrong but equally could have been a masterstroke.

Aouer-United

So far, Arsenal havent looked very convincing with their performance in all other games than Spurs game at home.

The opposite of us, we looked very convincing but our attack is just meh. Only if we had Arsenal's attack like Auba, we'd be top of the table right now.

AshRK

The quality of their football has regressed since the Wenger's time. Wenger for all his flaws at least made them play good brand of football. I don't see with this Arsenal side. Defensively they are still a mess and in attack they are very much dependent on their forwards to bail them out. Having said that I would still predict them to finish in top 4 ahead of Chelsea and United.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
True, my friend whose a gooner doesn't rate Emery and never has, at the time he wanted Henry & Artea.
Henry I would not want near the club, great player but not a person who I'd want as a coach or manager.

From a Chelsea perspective I was happy you got Emery over Arteta.

Emery I knew from his previous record was nothing special and you would never get back to early Wenger years with him incharge, whereas with Arteta there's the unknown, could have gone badly wrong but equally could have been a masterstroke.
Exactly, also when people like Pep & Poch sing you praises there must be something about you. When he was at the club he conducted himself perfectly, as captain he led on the pitch and off the pitch he and his wife went out of their way to help players & and their families settle in. He was very well respected at the club, was a major loss to us we couldn't keep hold of him when he retired as a player.

Of course none of this is a guarantee he would succeed as a manger but in my mind he had what we needed. Someone who understood the club, someone who connected well with players and someone who had very good knowledge of football. After being at City for two years and working under one of the best managers in the world I do think he would have made the step up. Gazidis knew if this didn't work fingers would be pointed at him so he bottled it and took the easy option, sums up the man and his time at the club in a way.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
The quality of their football has regressed since the Wenger's time. Wenger for all his flaws at least made them play good brand of football. I don't see with this Arsenal side. Defensively they are still a mess and in attack they are very much dependent on their forwards to bail them out. Having said that I would still predict them to finish in top 4 ahead of Chelsea and United.
The only reason we are in with a shout for Top 4 isn't down to the manager but I think the players we have, not like the guy is working with scraps. We haven't got a City/Liverpool standard first XI but a pretty decent one.

Agreed Emery has been a downgrade from a declining Wenger.
I've got stick from other Arsenal fans for saying that and I'd also say Wenger's squad last couple of years was worse than what we have now.

AshRK

I don't know if this true but if it yes then that's a piss poor record to have.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Emery is really strange, he's a defensive coach who can't teach defense.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
1-2 down to Villa

Does anyone want to finish top 4 this season? I feel like us, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs are trying not to.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Showed some real character today and Guendouzi was immense. He's a special player. Couple of defenders to come back and maybe shore things up a bit. It's going to be rough but interesting.

Bojan11

Credit to them with 10 men for a whole half and coming back from behind.