2019/20 Rivals - Arsenal

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Poch?

Now that would be hilarious. I reckon he'd love to get one over on Spurs after the way the treated him.
What do you mean how spurs treated him? He won't have hard feelings against them, he spent 5.5 years there. Whilst premature, I don't think it's a sufficient reason for him to go to bitter rivals. His morals are quite strong in that sense.

He rejected Barcelona because he was at Espanyol and I don't think many, or any, managers would have done that in his shoes.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Where did it go wrong for him? They started well, then nosedived towards the end of last season.
They had a very good run in first half of last season but sailed very close to the wind in many games. Still didn't win many away games but far better home form than this season so far. This year all they've beaten at home is Villa, Bournemouth and Burnley and it's not like they've played many top teams at home.

The defence wasn't that bad last season, currently they're conceding two goals regularly. As I said at the time I was baffled why anyone thought signing David Luiz and making him the leader of that backline was ever going to end well. He's predictably make an unstable back 4/5 much much worse.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Couldn't believe it seeing those Southampton goals coming in!
They must be fuming, having to rescue a draw late on! Wow.

They had a very good run in first half of last season but sailed very close to the wind in many games. Still didn't win many away games but far better home form than this season so far. This year all they've beaten at home is Villa, Bournemouth and Burnley and it's not like they've played many top teams at home.

The defence wasn't that bad last season, currently they're conceding two goals regularly. As I said at the time I was baffled why anyone thought signing David Luiz and making him the leader of that backline was ever going to end well. He's predictably make an unstable back 4/5 much much worse.
Luiz has made things worse, I’m sure of it. They would have been better off with Smalling or Evans tbh.

United58

Emery really is their LVG - wonder are they mad enough to go for Poch? I think it'd be a great appointment

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Where did it go wrong for him? They started well, then nosedived towards the end of last season.
He always wants to alienate one player. Last year it was Ramsey, then Ozil. This year was a full blast on Ozil then Torreira without mentioning Koscielny that made us get luiz who is not great.
The way we also completely downed tools in the league to miss out on top 4 was alarming. If we played anybody but Chelsea in the EL final you could understand focusing on winning a trophy but that squad was capable of doing both and we did neither.
He still has no idea what his team is, he played 7 differents teams in the last 7, needed 3 months to appoint a captain for no reason whatsoever to finally end up with Xhaka.
The squad needed a winger, the board buys him a record signing winger and he drops him as soon as he hits some sort of form. He's the most undecisive man which is not a good quality to be a manager.
I'm hoping we give it to Freddie and manage to get Nagelsman this summer.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Emery from day one has been clueless and clear that he is in over his head. The unbeaten run last season we went on was a joke, outplayed in so many of those games and won games late on. Last season our team peaked too early physically, we were outrunning teams for the first part of the season but burned and crashed there after.

What manager can get the best out of average defense & midfield? You got to question the manager why did he even waste most of his budget on attacker Pepe instead of on their midfield & defense?
If you watched us last season it was clear to see we were dying for a top class wide player, the problem isn't signing him. It is not also signing other players we need, however saying that the squad we have is more than good enough to finish top 4.

RedDevilRoshi

Must win game for them tonight.

If they lose then looking at their next set of fixtures, they could be even more closer to the relegation zone:

West Ham (A) Tonight
Man City (H) 15th Dec
Everton (A) 21st Dec
Bournemouth (A) 26th Dec
Chelsea (H) 29th Dec
Man Utd (H) 1st Jan

RedPed

Whatabouter.

If they lose then looking at their next set of fixtures, they could be even more closer to the relegation zone:

West Ham (A) Tonight
Man City (H) 15th Dec
Everton (A) 21st Dec
Bournemouth (A) 26th Dec
Chelsea (H) 29th Dec
Man Utd (H) 1st Jan

Unless they get a new manager and the corresponding bounce pretty sharpish, I can see them losing all of these quite easily. :nervous:

VJ1762

What has happened to them this season? It was not too long ago that they were third.

VJ1762

Their team is bang average.
On an unrelated note, they also seem to have a weird superiority complex. They have won titles, but have never been dominant in any era. Hearing those AFTV cnuts speak, you would think they were speaking about Real Madrid.

Paul_Scholes18

West Ham (A) Tonight
Man City (H) 15th Dec
Everton (A) 21st Dec
Bournemouth (A) 26th Dec
Chelsea (H) 29th Dec
Man Utd (H) 1st Jan
Should beat Bournemouth. I think they can get something against Chelsea who are poor in the big games. We should beat them with our big game record.
I think they will get a draw tonight against West Ham.

Paul_Scholes18

What has happened to them this season? It was not too long ago that they were third.
They have played poorly all season I think even if it started going wrong at the second international break. Started with two wins without playing well against Newcastle and Burnley. Then they did beat Villa with 10 men which was impressive I think. Got a lucky point against us. Then a 1-0 win over Bournemouth which might suprise us now that they got a clean sheet.

I think the big problem is the midfield. It is bottom half level. I don't know why they didn't bring anyone in after Ramsey left. Luiz in has also not helped them much. He can do better though under a good manager I think.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The state of Arsenal right now. Hope I don't jinx anything but hope we fecking smash them on Wednesday. They could end up being 4 or 5 pts off the relegation places in 15th if results go against them. Their results over the last 3 months have been appalling. 12 points from 13 games is relegation form. And looking at their upcoming fixtures, you can't see when a run will come. Be interesting to see what they do in the January transfer window, especially with injuries and Xhaka going as rumoured. It would only take Aubameyang to get injured for them to be royally fecked!

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I know this may seem a bit like hindsight is 20/20 but as soon as Aubameyang to Arse was announced I wondered why the feck go there?? Seems he could have had his pick at the time. Perhaps Chelski will pick him up as a Giroud replacement at the end of the season.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I know this may seem a bit like hindsight is 20/20 but as soon as Aubameyang to Arse was announced I wondered why the feck go there?? Seems he could have had his pick at the time. Perhaps Chelski will pick him up as a Giroud replacement at the end of the season.
He'd be perfect for United if we're after a striker even if just for the short term and more than enough to tip the sorry Gooners over the edge. He'd be RVP pt II without the crockedness. He's still got 3 more good years in him at least. Perfect last stop before the MLS.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The state of Arsenal right now. Hope I don't jinx anything but hope we fecking smash them on Wednesday. They could end up being 4 or 5 pts off the relegation places in 15th if results go against them. Their results over the last 3 months have been appalling. 12 points from 13 games is relegation form. And looking at their upcoming fixtures, you can't see when a run will come. Be interesting to see what they do in the January transfer window, especially with injuries and Xhaka going as rumoured. It would only take Aubameyang to get injured for them to be royally fecked!

Think what's worse for them is looking at the XG data they're exactly where they deserve to be, when a big club is that far down it's usually a statical anomaly that will even itself sooner or later (Dortmund, Chelsea) but with Arsenal it seems they're genuinely playing to the level they're at.

Although that said I think Arteta may sort them out in the long run but the Arsenal board will have to hold their nerve and be patient as it's no quick fix, may take 18 months for him to even get them to late Wenger levels.

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Think what's worse for them is looking at the XG data they're exactly where they deserve to be, usually when a big club is that far down it's usually a statical anomaly that will even itself sooner or later (Dortmund, Chelsea) but with Arsenal it seems they're genuinely playing to the level they're at.

Although that said I think Arteta may sort them out in the long run but the Arsenal board will have to hold their nerve and be patient as it's no quick fix, may take 18 months for him to even get them to late Wenger levels.
No way are the fans going to give him 18 months. You've seen what United fans are like with Ole even though we ain't doing as bad as they make out. The Arsenal fans are already split on him and they have the Kroenkes to contend with too. If Aubameyang leaves as is being rumoured, there's no way they're going to replace him...unless they stumble on a real gem.

United58

No way are the fans going to give him 18 months. You've seen what United fans are like with Ole even though we ain't doing as bad as they make out. The Arsenal fans are already split on him and they have the Kroenkes to contend with too. If Aubameyang leaves as is being rumoured, there's no way they're going to replace him...unless they stumble on a real gem.
Arteta seems to want to play good football though - with Ole it can be very ponderous at times, and when you're not winning and playing badly, it can really turn the fans against you

RedPed

Whatabouter.
They already have Martinelli
Well he hasn't changed their fortunes up until now. He is a good prospect but could he replace Aubameyang? I can see Pepe getting shipped out in 18 months or so too.

Arteta seems to want to play good football though - with Ole it can be very ponderous at times, and when you're not winning and playing badly, it can really turn the fans against you
And you're saying Ole doesn't want to play good football either? We've played some of the best football under him since Fergie left. We've been ponderous under Moyes, LvG and Mourinho and even under Fergie at times. Arteta may experience a bit of an upturn but I believe things will gradually decline.

Think what's worse for them is looking at the XG data they're exactly where they deserve to be, when a big club is that far down it's usually a statical anomaly that will even itself sooner or later (Dortmund, Chelsea) but with Arsenal it seems they're genuinely playing to the level they're at.

How is this worked out and why is theres so low? They never had problems scoring goals before.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I agree, in as much as I think the fans will feel they were better against Chelsea and lost due to a poor error outside of Arteta's control. If they go a while without any results though (here's hoping to at least another couple of days) they'll be tested in their backing of the new man as slightly improved performances will not be enough if points are not being picked up.

Last edited: