2019/20 Rivals - Arsenal

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
So what happened with this Ceballos loan deal? Thought that would of been a good bit of business for Arsenal.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
The thread title is a big joke. “Rivals” :lol: There’s no way we’re going to compete with anyone in the top 6. If we hit a purple patch it’ll delude a few people for some time but I’ll be surprised if we rank higher than sixth this season.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
So what happened with this Ceballos loan deal? Thought that would of been a good bit of business for Arsenal.
Twitter ITKs had him at Colney yesterday having his medical and being shown around. Should be announced this evening or next week unless something weird happens.

Siorac

The thread title is a big joke. “Rivals” :lol: There’s no way we’re going to compete with anyone in the top 6. If we hit a purple patch it’ll delude a few people for some time but I’ll be surprised if we rank higher than sixth this season.
So it's all doom and gloom among Arsenal fans, too? That's nice.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Don't worry we have our own clown in Jones. SO we do understand how you lot feel about Mustafi.
Jones is nowhere near as bad as Mustafi is he? He’s just injured all the time. Mustafi is a walking disaster area he makes critical errors in almost every game and is completely exposed at this level. Jones doesn’t have nearly as many feck ups.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Hasn't kicked a ball for us yet and he's already shitting on Spurs. Make him captain, rename the stadium.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Nice loan transfer for them.

AshRK

I cannot imagine how West Ham, Leicester, heck even a newly promoted Villa are spending more than a club like Arsenal. Surely their owners are making everyone fools.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I cannot imagine how West Ham, Leicester, heck even a newly promoted Villa are spending more than a club like Arsenal. Surely their owners are making everyone fools.
If you are interested you can check the Arsenal financial statement. I believe Arsenal's matchday, broadcasting, commercial revenue dropped in 2018 but operating cost keep increasing. We shall see in 5 years if this business model works. The club is just a business to the owner.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
If you are interested you can check the Arsenal financial statement. I believe Arsenal's matchday, broadcasting, commercial revenue dropped in 2018 but operating cost keep increasing. We shall see in 5 years if this business model works. The club is just a business to the owner.

Do you know how much money he makes from owning Arsenal? It can't be that much compared to his investment.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Difference is as things stand the club is not profitable, CL costs on a Europa Cup income at this present time. New sponsorship deals will help us this season but still not enough. I think from Villa's point of view they are about to get something like £180m boost just being in the PL, so even if they spend half that to try and not get relegated they'll still be better off.

Our owner isn't interested in dipping into his pockets and until we shift some very expensive players (Ozil, Mkhi etc) & a lot of deadwood (Jenkinson, ELneny, Mustafi etc) there doesn't seem much hope in us signing many players.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Do you know how much money he makes from owning Arsenal? It can't be that much compared to his investment.
He probably won't make much in terms of cash but he would probably at least double his money if he sold today.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
He probably won't make much in terms of cash but he would probably at least double his money if he sold today.
I'm not clear on what his strategy is really. He's clearly never going to pour loads of cash in as that would make zero business sense so what's his gain here? Maybe just a handy place to park loads of cash?

AshRK

Difference is as things stand the club is not profitable, CL costs on a Europa Cup income at this present time. New sponsorship deals will help us this season but still not enough. I think from Villa's point of view they are about to get something like £180m boost just being in the PL, so even if they spend half that to try and not get relegated they'll still be better off.

Our owner isn't interested in dipping into his pockets and until we shift some very expensive players (Ozil, Mkhi etc) & a lot of deadwood (Jenkinson, ELneny, Mustafi etc) there doesn't seem much hope in us signing many players.
Your club's situation resembles a lot of United's. Yes we are able to spend (somewhat) but we also have many deadwoods that we are not able to ship off. I still feel to just have a budget of 40m is an absolute joke for a club like Arsenal.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The 40m figure sounds like bollocks to me. We're trying to be tight as usual, but putting the limited budget message out so that we don't get rinsed as normally happens. Letting everyone know you have 200m to spend isn't going to get you the best deals.

AshRK

The 40m figure sounds like bollocks to me. We're trying to be tight as usual, but putting the limited budget message out so that we don't get rinsed as normally happens. Letting everyone know you have 200m to spend isn't going to get you the best deals.
But the offers you lot have been putting in, be it for Tierney or Zaha is quite embarrassing and just adds up to the supposed 40m stringent budget claim.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal

Finally our board is making some smart moves.
Tierney - Holding - Saliba - Bellerin could be our best Back 4 since years, hopefully Tierney is possible.

Probably we still need time until 2021 for a completely rebuild, no one wants players like Jenkinson, Mustafi, Elneny, Kolasinac, Monreal, Mikhitaryan and Özil isn't in his prime anymore.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Wow. Crazy to see Arsenal, a team that were once such fierce rivals now getting players on finance and trying to trade pork scratchings for Zaha.

How the mighty have fallen.

AshRK

Yes, fallen above you.
Congratulations on finishing 4 points above a Manchester United side which had one of the worst seasons. I am sure that means your club is moving in the right direction.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Congratulations on finishing 4 points above a Manchester United side which had one of the worst seasons. I am sure that means your club is moving in the right direction.
No offence, but I've read your posts and concluded that you're not somebody worth engaging with. Enjoy the thread.

AshRK

No offence, but I've read your posts and concluded that you're not somebody worth engaging with. Enjoy the thread.
Took no offence. In fact Thank you for saving my time from being wasted on you.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Your club's situation resembles a lot of United's. Yes we are able to spend (somewhat) but we also have many deadwoods that we are not able to ship off. I still feel to just have a budget of 40m is an absolute joke for a club like Arsenal.
I do not know the budget we have this summer, but I think we may be able to sign Zaha. We shall see. He won't come cheap that is for sure, my guess is an offer of £60m (same as mahrez to city) may be enough to do a deal.

R'hllor

United is Arsenal without noodles, similar type of owners so its not surprising.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I do not know the budget we have this summer, but I think we may be able to sign Zaha. We shall see. He won't come cheap that is for sure, my guess is an offer of £60m (same as mahrez to city) may be enough to do a deal.
We need a dribbler but not for silly money. He'd be on stupid wages too.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
You've finished above us once over the past 5 seasons..

awop

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not clear on what his strategy is really. He's clearly never going to pour loads of cash in as that would make zero business sense so what's his gain here? Maybe just a handy place to park loads of cash?
He own a team in NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS and the Premier League. All the cash he'll ever need will come from Walmart anyway, sports franchises are just his toys.

AshRK

You've finished above us once over the past 5 seasons..
Again what has Manchester United got to do with Arsenal. Why cannot we have a discussion just focusing on arsenal considering this is an arsenal thread. We have many united thread here and our fans are critical of our board so we don't need to discuss about United in an arsenal thread.

Maybe you should have looked at the main discussion which was about arsenal's budget and why arsenal owners give so less budget to spend before an insecure arsenal fan here (not you) made a stupid argument of how arsenal have finished Manchester United which had no bearing to the original discussion.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
The thing is for years now Arsenal have been a soft touch (I'm talking all the way back to the season after the Invincible's here) and as such so many sides go to Arsenal thinking they can win. The difference is those same sides come to Old Trafford and stick 10 men behind the ball. If more sides went to Arsenal and went as ultra defensive as they do at OT Arsenal would have far less points than they do each season but alas they dont and eventually Arsenal's superior attacking players just end up out scoring the opposition

I could probably count on 1 hand the amount of really impressive performances I've seen from Arsenal over the last 10 years
Anyone who has watched us the last few years knows we have zero problems breaking down parked buses. It's by far our greatest strength, most of our players excel at that. We love playing short passes, moving the ball to move defenders all over the place and It is the reason we score in virtually every game. Players like Ozil and Xhaka have absolutely no problem unpicking those defences, ask them to run in the other direction though and they can become pretty much useless

Our weak point is in fact when teams have a go at us, even weak teams. You can easily run through or slow midfield, and it doesn't take much to get past our defenders too. If we could choose, we would love for all the small teams to put 10 men behind the ball at all times. It would suit all the technical players we have who relish that side of the game, but can't tackle or want to defend when the opposition has a real go at us.

As for the bolded bit. Are you being serious? Last season alone of the top of my head, the home game against spurs where we thrashed them 4-2 but that scoreline massively flattered them. Impressive home games against Chelsea and Liverpool. The 2 games against Napoli, a team who just dropped out from the CL's toughest group and narrowly missed out progressing, only losing 1 game in 4 against Liverpool and PSG. We beat them both games. A 4-2 win against Valencia in the Mestalla. A place not many European teams win, which is why the have a formidable home record.

Unless of course your definition of really impressive means having a flawless game and winning 6-0. Then you are possibly right.