2019/20 Rivals - Arsenal

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
I cannot imagine how West Ham, Leicester, heck even a newly promoted Villa are spending more than a club like Arsenal. Surely their owners are making everyone fools.
It does feel weird how small our budget apparently is. However I really don't believe it is as little as £40m. I know our wage bill is massive and we have missed making the CL for 3rd season in row. Basically we are paying CL wages for EL performances, so I guess we have to get rid of some players before we can significantly add more. The problem is though, these players are hard to shift precisely because the wages they are on.

For a few years we have been run very badly. We have made so many bad/stupid decisions it has set us back a few years. From wasting good money buying the wrong players (Mustafi and Xhaka for £35m each, Lucas Perez £18m, that is nearly £90m on just three players who aren't good enough for us), to letting Ramsey walk out for free (lost £50-60m there). Also letting Sanchez and ozil's contract almost run out, forcing us to sell Sanchez on the cheap (swap with Mhiki) and giving Ozil a £350k a week as he had us over a barrel. Same thing happened with Wellbeck, letting him go on a free instead of maybe getting £25m for him. All these decisions have now hamstrung us. We also bought Lacazette for £50m and Aubameyang for £56m, although both were a success.

As you can see from that we have actually spend quite a lot of money, either through player purchased or lost through letting players run down their contracts. Add the fact we hardly made any money from player sales and our net spend the last few years is quite high. In fact it is higher than Liverpool's.

We have finally restructured everything at the club, it seems there is a plan now, But first we need to tighten the belt a bit.

A still think we will spend about £70m this window. We will need to if we want to challenge for top 4 place.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What is more certain than death, taxes, and Arsenal going on a crazy run of games from the beginning of the season till Feburary where they crumble and fumble for 4th place?

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Hasn't kicked a ball for us yet and he's already shitting on Spurs. Make him captain, rename the stadium.

Very good player this. Nice acquisition by Arsenal.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not clear on what his strategy is really. He's clearly never going to pour loads of cash in as that would make zero business sense so what's his gain here? Maybe just a handy place to park loads of cash?
Arsenal were valued around 1bn when he bought in, now they're valued at 2bn, thats almost a 100%increase on his investment.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal were valued around 1bn when he bought in, now they're valued at 2bn, thats almost a 100%increase on his investment.

Yeah I get that but he's not exactly building that value now and the prospect of us dropping down more is very real.

Woodenlung

I don't understand Arsenal's transfer strategy at all. Their central defence is a shambles for a side with top 4 aspirations, but they'll sign a winger for 70m?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I don't understand Arsenal's transfer strategy at all. Their central defence is a shambles for a side with top 4 aspirations, but they'll sign a winger for 70m?
Hey be fair they did sign a defender ..

Then sent him immediately back out on loan for the season.

Canagel

Same strategy as Liverpool pre to VVD.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I think I do see the strategy for our defence. Realistically we have too many defenders and need to get rid of some of the shit ones, but there's no takers.

On top of that I can't really see which established defender we're meant to go for, hence the purchase of Saliba. With Saliba, Holding, Bellerin, Tierney our potential back 4 we'd be set for years to come.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Defence is still pretty average but they are well stocked in attack, I'm surprised at number of United fans thinking its a given we finish above Arsenal this season. It couldn't be further away from truth, they finished above us last season and also reached EL final. Bring United into the reckoning while our defence is average but better than theirs we simply do not have enough goals in the side, can see us really struggling in the coming season.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I feel I should highlight where you have made an error.

red4ever 79

If they sign a CB could have a successful season and challenge for 3rd. We are falling further behind. Ed needs to take his finger out of his rectum

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Pepe would be brilliant signing for Arsenal. Crystal palace must be regretting being stingy with Zaha :lol:. Who would have taught that Arsenal would be so active in the market. However, their defense is still shite.

I wrote them of top four when I heard that they only had £45m to spend, but after some of their signings, they will make top four trophy very competitive

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
I think I do see the strategy for our defence. Realistically we have too many defenders and need to get rid of some of the shit ones, but there's no takers.

On top of that I can't really see which established defender we're meant to go for, hence the purchase of Saliba. With Saliba, Holding, Bellerin, Tierney our potential back 4 we'd be set for years to come.
Problem is, whilst all reasonably young, they’re all at completely different stages in their careers. Hard to see any scenario in the near future where those players are lining up alongside each other. Central defence especially requires a ready-to-play investment.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah I get that but he's not exactly building that value now and the prospect of us dropping down more is very real.
What do you think about us dropping down now?:) Our current level saw us within 1 point and a better second half away from the CL. Kroenke is going to wait and see if Arsenal can make it back to the CL on their own steam before putting any funds in. Once we're in the CL our revenues should ensure that we're a top club without external investment and the club value will keep on increasing without him having to do anything. Which was his plan all along, a pretty astute one when it comes to that.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Because our wingers are a shambles? If we can get Pepe over the line (still a big If imo) then addresses that issue but other issues still remain. I think I've said in another thread apart from Laca & Auba no other player scored more than 6 goals for us last season. It is something which needs addressing as urgently as defence imo!

Also window not closed yet so there might be a CB, i do think the problem in defence isn't just down to CBs though. I think the midfield struggles to control and give proper screening, an improvement in that alone will make us defensively better.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Tierney can play both LB and CB. He's a good defender although I hope he isn't injury prone. I've watched him last year and I think he is a great potential acquisition. Not too sure who else we can go for at CB to be honest without breaking Pepe style fee's.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
I think we might have pulled off a world class winger that'll transform our attack as we currently have no wingers, with a manager who likes the attacks to go down the flanks. We really lacked any ideas going forward because of our lack of wingers last season. We have also brought in a creative midfielder, which we lacked last season.

I'd like a CB but I think Sokratis and Holding are good enough CBs if they stay fit. Sokratis is a very solid no nonsense defender and Holding is very composed, physically imposing and reads the game well. Holding going down was a disaster. Chambers back from a successful loan, may play a role. Mavropanos is also one for the future. Mustafi has been a comedy act for 2 years now but interesting in his first 6 months he was very good and we didn't lose a game in that period we started. Then he went to shit. ALso if Kosceilny stays for another year he will do a job for us I think.

Tierney will also strengthen us allot.

I'm thinking signing someone like Cahill on a year or 2 year deal might make sense if Kosceilny goes. Not sure how good Cahill is these days ofcourse

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Tierney can play both LB and CB. He's a good defender although I hope he isn't injury prone. I've watched him last year and I think he is a great potential acquisition. Not too sure who else we can go for at CB to be honest without breaking Pepe style fee's.
He'd be the shortest CB in the division I reckon at 5'10". Any 5'9" central defenders in the Prem?

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
He'd be the shortest CB in the division I reckon at 5'10". Any 5'9" central defenders in the Prem?
We played Monreal in CB several times and he seemed to do pretty well. Kolo Toure is also just 178cm. Thats just 2 examples at Arsenal.

Carlos Puyol & Cannavaro is probably the best example of a short, world class CB. I'm too lazy to think of Prem examples right now. Regardless the kid is decent and I'd be happy for him to be at Arsenal.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I felt sorry for Zaha but it seems like the club can't agree a deal with Crystal Palace. I preferred Zaha due to his experience in the EPL and he is at the peak of his career right now, but obviously 70m is not enough for CP.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Some arsenal fans will disagree but I don’t think it is related at all. Quite clear we’ve had a plan and Arsenal always like giving the impression we don’t have money. We then usually back that up by not spending any of it :lol:

In recent years we have spent some money but too many duff buys.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
So whats the spend so far for Arsenal this xfer window? Im guessing the 45mil was just bs put out for clicks.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
FAO gooners : you reckon the protests against Kroenke and Pepe’s signing are correlated ?
No, i think it was their plan all along to make one big signing after giving minimum backing to Emery in his first transfer window. The 45M was clearly briefed to everyone to facilitate the negociations. The need to pay everything in installments still proves that we are limited by multiple factors.
So whats the spend so far for Arsenal this xfer window? Im guessing the 45mil was just bs put out for clicks.
Martinelli 8M, Saliba 4M this summer, Ceballos 4M Loan Fee, Tierney if it gets done should be at least 20M upfront and Pepe is still unknown but probably around 20/30M upfront and the rest over 4 or 5 years. So between 55 and 65M which is just a bit more that the rumored budget. And we're still trying to get a CB, probably another loan (Rugani from Juventus is the lastest rumor).
We could start next summer's window with Saliba and Pepe installments already eating a good 30/40M out of the budget so it's vital that we get rid of Mikhi/Ozil/Xhaka/Mustafi/Chambers

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Window’s going very well. There are plenty of obvious holes in the squad and the most positive point (in my view) is that the management appear to be trying to correct all of them.

We needed a left back, a Ramsey replacement, a winger who can dribble and a CB.

Of those, with Saliba a year off it seems as if the CB is the only area we’re still obviously short. The problem there is that we can’t buy anyone with all of Koscielny, Sokratis, Mustafi, Holding, Chambers and Mavropanos still on the books. So I imagine we’re needing to sell Kos/one other before we buy here.

If we can’t manage that, the squad’s much improved but still short of where it needs to be. I guess we then look to summer next year to sign any missing spots in the spine of the team. Still, a year of progress, and a team capable of at least one of top four and winning the EL.
Buying Tierney and then wasting him at CB would be so Arsenal.
What’s happened to you? The bitterness in your posts has dialed up to 11.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
I think Kroenke is a businessman he knows the value of the club is tied to its revenues and bottom line and this is our 3rd consecutive year out of the CL with a real possibility of dropping out of the top 6 unless there is significant investment.

Under his ownership we’ve fallen behind our rivals he can’t allow this situation to persist for much longer because it’s going to affect the club value.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I just don't think Arsenal should be taking a player like Ceballos if there is no mandatory option to make it permanent. A one year loan for a player who will then return to his parent club smacks a bit of something a small club does.

Also brilliant to see that Pepe is being heralded as the next coming on here because he has not joined United. Classic Caf reaction.

These are typical Arsenal signings that do nothing to address the gaping holes in their back line and defensive midfield areas. Their captain wants out and, as far as I am aware, they have not strengthened in his position – Saliba does not count this season – while Xhaka is likely to take over the armband despite being an absolute liability off the ball.

In the words of Conor McGregor, they'll do nothing.

R'hllor

Maybe i am wrong but think the fact they had pre season in US and it started on their turf, home town w/e, wouldnt be surprised if "we care do you" thing forced them to react, PR machine turning on, suddenly letter being dropped, Edu having a meeting with fans (maybe this is happening every year dunno) etc.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I just don't think Arsenal should be taking a player like Ceballos if there is no mandatory option to make it permanent. A one year loan for a player who will then return to his parent club smacks a bit of something a small club does.

Also brilliant to see that Pepe is being heralded as the next coming on here because he has not joined United. Classic Caf reaction.

These are typical Arsenal signings that do nothing to address the gaping holes in their back line and defensive midfield areas. Their captain wants out and, as far as I am aware, they have not strengthened in his position – Saliba does not count this season – while Xhaka is likely to take over the armband despite being an absolute liability off the ball.

In the words of Conor McGregor, they'll do nothing.
If Ceballos is a big part of them winning a cup or getting top four it would be worth it no?

Im guessing not having that CL money train is starting to bite for Arsenal. Once they move on a few of the big earners that dont do a lot like Ozil and Xhaka I think they will be in a much better position. The trouble will be finding buyers, much like RM and the stupidity of the Bale contract.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Trying hard to not to get too excited about these Mustafi to Monaco rumours. The fact that they might even give us some cash too is gravy.