2019/20 Rivals - Arsenal

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
VAR aside, Emery doesn’t look to be the man to take these players forward. There’s a fair bit of dross in the squad, but there’s a fair bit of talent as well, and Emery isn’t tapping into it.

Time to join in the management merry go round.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Surprised Arsenal surrendered a two goal lead to CP. Amazed Emery signed Luiz. Given that Chelsea couldn't replace him, the willingness to sell should have set alarm bells off for Emery. Xhaka needs to be sold. He seems a corrosive piece of work. Not sure getting shot of Emery is the answer to Arsenal's problems. Too much short term ism in football these days. Looking on he has done enough so far to show that he knows what he wants to do. Needs to sort out his defence though or having top class forwards will mean nought.

Kag

For all of the negativity directed our way this season, we’re ahead of Spurs and three points behind Arsenal. We’re in a better place than either of them, with good young defenders and more money to invest in the transfer market.

It really could be worse.

marktan

Arsenal would be a decent team if they just stopped playing David Luiz in defence. Hes cost them several games already.

They have good players and some really good young players. But Emery unfortunately with his selections is holding them back.

There's no way anyone could've watched David Luiz over the last ten years and come to the conclusion that he's a good defender. He's a very good footballer, but imo an atrocious defender. Like baillys defensive mistakes on steroids.

KennyBurner

What happened to ceballos? Last time i checked we were convinced he was very good? Seems the hype with him has died down.

Its also very interesting that we are 3 points behind arsenal although we have had injuries to key players.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
What happened to ceballos? Last time i checked we were convinced he was very good? Seems the hype with him has died down.
He had 1 very good game, and some very average performances. But it's hard to blame him, Emery changes tactics and formations every game and has yet to find a working midfield combination. Guendouzi is our only player consistently playing well in midfield this season.

If we keep playing the same formation(4-2-2-2), Ceballos might have a run of games to prove his worth in a formation that suits him better.

Last edited by a moderator:

norm87cro

They are in such a poor shape that I'm really tempted putting serious money on the Dippers spanking them today. It might get really ugly if Klopp takes todays game seriously.

Warlord

Supports
Liverpool
They are in such a poor shape that I'm really tempted putting serious money on the Dippers spanking them today. It might get really ugly if Klopp takes todays game seriously.
We won't take it seriously. There will be 11 changes so who knows what will happen.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The headline here should be how revolting Aubameyang's car is.

If I drove that monstrosity I'd expect to get abused in the street. What is it with footballers and buying vehicles that are straight out of a 14 year old kids garage on GTA online.

RedDevilRoshi

Every club has a****** amongst their support. However are those fans really fickle? If it wasn’t for Aubameyang, Arsenal would be much closer to the relegation zones than the top 4.

Last edited:

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
Do Arsenal fans like any of their players?
Half my family are Arsenal fans and I can honestly say , they dislike a lot of their players, but its a bit of a flip flop mentality, sing when their playing well and boo when they're not. Really unhealthy.

This doesn't just apply to Arsenal but the press/media massively target Arsenal. This cannot be denied ( I am not suggesting other clubs don't get bad press). Listen to Talksport, watch the Sky pundits etc, they are all very scathing which in turn influences a lot of younger fans. Twitter is rife with fan abuse towards players, not because they are necessarily that bad, it's because stations like Talksport are scathing in their opinions. A young fan may not have seen Ozil play, but they listen to the opinions and slander which in turn influences their own thoughts.

Its a horrible cycle which is turning younger supporters against their own. - This is all my own opinion.

Reactions: Jippy

Joe Cool

Supports
Chelsea
It's called grandiose delusions. Arsenal fans think they are bigger than they actually are hence they expect things that club is not capable of. Because they're actually a 2nd tier club, they think they are in the same bracket with Madrid, Barcelona, City, Liverpool, Bayern, Chelsea, Paris, United, Juventus, but they are not, they truly belong and are actually Europa League level.

Guess it's frustrating watching Chelsea destroy you in a European final while Spurs reach another European final the same month. Not only this but it's what? 15 years since they had a sniff at a league title?! Not even talking about Champions League football, they are an absolute joke in Europe.

Still they abuse their players for... what actually? Because this is a big dilemma for me. What do they actually want? A title challenge? Champions League football? Well lower your expectations folks and face the truth, you are simply not good enough for this and maybe should listen to others when they all tell you your club does not belong to the big boys table.

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
It's called grandiose delusions. Arsenal fans think they are bigger than they actually are hence they expect things that club is not capable of. Because they're actually a 2nd tier club, they think they are in the same bracket with Madrid, Barcelona, City, Liverpool, Bayern, Chelsea, Paris, United, Juventus, but they are not, they truly belong and are actually Europa League level.

Guess it's frustrating watching Chelsea destroy you in a European final while Spurs reach another European final the same month. Not only this but it's what? 15 years since they had a sniff at a league title?! Not even talking about Champions League football, they are an absolute joke in Europe.

Still they abuse their players for... what actually? Because this is a big dilemma for me. What do they actually want? A title challenge? Champions League football? Well lower your expectations folks and face the truth, you are simply not good enough for this and maybe should listen to others when they all tell you your club does not belong to the big boys table.
Top trolling here. Arsenal are actually a bigger club than Chelsea, Champions League or no Champions League. A majority of neutral fans will agree.

Where Liverpool fans ever like this towards their players? That club has seen some dark times much worse than Arsenal imo.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Top trolling here. Arsenal are actually a bigger club than Chelsea, Champions League or no Champions League. A majority of neutral fans will agree.
Depends which way you look at it Historically? Absolutely. The modern day? Not a chance.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
I really can’t see how Emery can get this “project” working. He may have the right ideas, and they can be seen in glimpses, but he’s not the right guy to get it through to this group of players. And I’m more inclined to think it’s him at fault than the players. Plus, whatever about tactics, he lacks charisma and can’t seem to inspire any sort of winning, never say die attitude from this group.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
They've been very unclassy as a fan-base recently. Weirdly I used to regard them very highly as a fan base before all AFTV, banners, how they treated Wenger and now even their captain telling them to feck off.

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
Where Liverpool fans ever like this towards their players? That club has seen some dark times much worse than Arsenal imo.
No but they back their players no matter what, even when they are caught being racist so not sure they really count

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
They've been very unclassy as a fan-base recently. Weirdly I used to regard them very highly as a fan base before all AFTV, banners, how they treated Wenger and now even their captain telling them to feck off.
I don't really blame them for how they acted with Wenger, infact I think they were actually quite tolerant with him for a number of years (could argue rightly because of what he did early on). The bizarre tactics and refusal to sign players to fill problem gaps started as early as the season after the invincibles season and he not only shown no willingness to learn from his mistakes he kept repeating them year after year.

He lost the plot increasingly at the end and was making constant and repetitive bizzare decisions, he couldn't keep up with the modern era and the club we're going backwards at a rate of knots. He was selfish to stay on aslong as he did, come the end he was the manager equivalent of an ex great player hanging on in the PL into his mid 40s.

There was a reason rival fans were so desperate for him to stay.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Don't think so.

The only who's been consistently maligned was Roy Hodgson for trying his best to drag us down to whatever level he is comfortable managing.

Konchesky took some abuse online which led his mom to claim he should have stayed at Fulham and that we were living in the past. Him and Poulsen probably got some groans in the ground as well.

Last player I can recall actually getting booed was Danny Murphy during houllier times and that didn't go down well with the wider fan base. In hindsight Murphy should have been booed more for his future performance as a pundit.

I may be forgetting stuff here, but that's all I remember.

Don't think so.

The only who's been consistently maligned was Roy Hodgson for trying his best to drag us down to whatever level he is comfortable managing.

Konchesky took some abuse online which led his mom to claim he should have stayed at Fulham and that we were living in the past. Him and Poulsen probably got some groans in the ground as well.

Last player I can recall actually getting booed was Danny Murphy during houllier times and that didn't go down well with the wider fan base. In hindsight Murphy should have been booed more for his future performance as a pundit.

I may be forgetting stuff here, but that's all I remember.
:lol:

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal

This is hilarious coming from a Chelsea fan regarding "tiers".

The elite is clearly Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man Utd, Liverpool, Juventus, Bayern. Then you have sleeping giants like AC Milan, Inter, Ajax who are not the forces they were.

If you're exclusively talking about the here and now, then you include Man City.

There is no way on earth Chelsea belongs in that category of top tier. You're not dominating England or Europe and haven't even entered into double figures when it comes to league titles. Yes Arsenal is 2nd tier, but so is Chelsea - and your CL success in 2012 is the only thing that makes this a conversation (because we lack in that department).

The short to mid term aim for Arsenal has to be:

1. Get back into the CL (regularly)
2. Start challenging for titles again

Then in the long term perhaps look at making an impression in the CL.

The current squad is lacking, but it's in slightly better shape than it was at the end of Wenger's reign. I don't think that Emery is the right man though.

PS: Abusing our own players is moronic.

Reactions: SteveJ

Warlord

Supports
Liverpool
Martinelli is a wonderkid. Klopp rates him:

'He is a talent of the century': Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp hails Arsenal striker Gabriel Martinelli after his brace in Carabao Cup defeat at Anfield

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has described Arsenal striker Gabriel Martinelli as 'a talent of the century' after the Brazilian again caught the eye at Anfield this week.

Martinelli impressed and scored a brace as Arsenal crashed out of the Carabao Cup on penalties at Anfield on Wednesday night.

His double maintained an impressive goal-scoring streak since he arrived in north London this summer, taking his tally for the season to seven goals in seven games

Speaking about how his young players performed in the tie, Klopp admitted 17-year-old Dutch defender Sepp van den Berg found it tough against Martinelli.

'He (Van den Berg) played an incredible game,' Klopp told Liverpool's official website.

'That's really difficult to deal with these guys. Martinelli's pretty much the same age but he's a talent of the century, he's an incredible striker, so it's really difficult.

'Then you have Mesut Ozil around and (Joe) Willock right, who scored by the way a really nice one, so a team like Arsenal in a counter-attacking mood – we keep them deep, play around them, we lose the ball and then it's really difficult.'

Klopp described Liverpool's penalty shootout triumph over as Arsenal as being 'absolutely perfect' and said the players responsible have created memories to last a lifetime.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...hails-Arsenal-striker-Gabriel-Martinelli.html

A rare bit of good news for the Gunners.

Mr Smith

So anyone think Jose to Arsenal has legs? I'm torn between thinking it would be a hilarious culture clash and a concern he might actually whip them into shape.