2019/20 Rivals - Arsenal

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Arsenal didn't have a shot on target. :lol:

Errr please have some on Sunday though.:nervous:

United58

Will Arsenal finishing outside of Europa places be good for them in terms of next season?

Would winning the FA Cup guarantee them Europa?

Terminator

Just a poor squad all around. Good vs City but hard to guage that performance as every traditional top 6 team has beat City so far this season.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
The team struggles when we have to take the initiative against sides which defend deep.

The first goal is crucial in so many of our positive results.

acnumber9

Arteta’s tactical genius is hoping Aubameyang scores the first goal and then defend for the rest of the game. Seems to be going under the radar how defensive Arsenal have been under him.

Amarsdd

Arteta’s tactical genius is hoping Aubameyang scores the first goal and then defend for the rest of the game. Seems to be going under the radar how defensive Arsenal have been under him.
Arteta has completely transformed Arsenal.... Oh well, that's what I keep hearing.

Morpheus 7

Back again.... Arsenal being Arsenal. Giving it the big one, them in 10th. There squad is horrific, going nowhere without real investment.

Robbie Boy

Their squad is really poor. Despite the league being so poor this season, they're still dicking about in mid table with a game to go.

I'm far from convinced by Arteta too. I think he's been meh since he came in and he has it all to prove next season. They will need serious investment if they want to challenge for top four next season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They're still pretty good at home.

I think they'll comfortably beat Watford. You just have to make sure you don't get hammered final day and you'll be fine...
Bournemouth could actually stay up just by beating Everton if we and Watford lose.

Taking nothing for granted as everyone knows final day results never go to script, one that sticks in my mind is West Ham winning 1-0 at Old Trafford in 2007 to stay up. QPR also should've won in 2012 at Man. City.

We have the momentum at least which is important.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Thank feck I’m not the only one seeing this. Two good results after backs to the wall defending for 90 minutes and he’s being hailed as a tactical genius. Turns out taking the initiative to win games of football isn’t quite as easy. Who knew?!

Bogga

They'll still get Europa League next season even if they were to finish 10th, right? Since Chelsea will get either CL or EL by their position in the league?

Amarsdd

They'll still get Europa League next season even if they were to finish 10th, right? Since Chelsea will get either CL or EL by their position in the league?
think they have to win the FA cup to qualify for Europa league.

Eddy_JukeZ

Pretty sure the loser of the FA Cup doesn't get anything.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You don't get Europa just for being finalist's anymore.

Can't remember exactly when that was scrapped but it was.

Bogga

You don't get Europa just for being finalist's anymore.

Can't remember exactly when that was scrapped but it was.
So that spot will go to Chelsea... And they qualify by position in the league the next team in the league gets it?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Thank feck I’m not the only one seeing this. Two good results after backs to the wall defending for 90 minutes and he’s being hailed as a tactical genius. Turns out taking the initiative to win games of football isn’t quite as easy. Who knew?!
No surprise you're posting about Arteta tonight after being conspicuously absent after our last two games :lol:

Jacko21

Even during some of our lowest points over the last few years, we’ve pulled out some notable performances/results - often by playing on the defensive. But they seldom proved to be a catalyst.

I don’t think their performances against Liverpool or City amount to anything meaningful at this stage. 30% possession doesn’t get you Champions League football.

Arteta has taken them from 11th to 10th. With a possible high of 8th (if results go their way).

Top 8 is the best they can hope for without sizeable investment and solid recruitment.

AshRK

This season has to be a write off for them. But surely a slow start again to next season then he should be treated no differently to Emery.

Having said that his tactics and Arsenal's playing style has been god damn awful and he gets a lot of free pass for that.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So that spot will go to Chelsea... And they qualify by position in the league the next team in the league gets it?
Yep, if we beat Arsenal Europa goes to the team in 7th.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Given their financial situation, I'd bite the bullet for a couple of years, try everything to shift overpaid players this summer and probably not grant Aubameyang a gigantic contract long into his thirties. They've got Martinelli who they can develop nicely.

The longer they chase those sunken costs, the longer it will take them becoming relevant again.

AshRK

Spurs have finished ahead of them again. Spurs are 5 ahead and there's just 1 game left.
And weren't spurs like 14th or something when Jose took over them. For all the shit he gets he has done a better job than arteta has.

Gazza

Genuine question for Arsenal fans: nearing the end of his first season, what's the feeling on Nicolas Pepe? Obviously the money you paid for him is unlikely to ever look like a bargain, but what's the score? Is he still finding his feet, is it a tactical or positional thing, or does he just have a much lower ceiling than you would have hoped when you signed him? I don't watch them enough, but he does seem incredibly wasteful/unproductive from what I have seem.

Mr. Ant

Arteta proves that being a good coach under a great manager doesn't mean he's a good manager himself.

I mean why does he play his best striker as a winger and instead plays a kid upfront?

You can see when his gameplan doesn't work he just subs on more attacking players and hopes for it to work.
That may be good enough for a midtable club who just hope for a survival in the PL but not for a former top club who want to be at the top once again.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No surprise you're posting about Arteta tonight after being conspicuously absent after our last two games :lol:
Eh? Wasn’t I discussing them with you after the Liverpool game? I was basically arguing that desperate backs to the wall defending for 90 minutes isn’t a sustainable or admirable approach and your overall results in the league since restart are average to poor.

Turns out packing your own box got you one more scalp (which I didn’t post about, true) then, lo and behold, the very next game you don’t get a single shot on target. Against Aston Villa.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Arteta proves that being a good coach under a great manager doesn't mean he's a good manager himself.

I mean why does he play his best striker as a winger and instead plays a kid upfront?

You can see when his gameplan doesn't work he just subs on more attacking players and hopes for it to work.
That may be good enough for a midtable club who just hope for a survival in the PL but not for a former top club who want to be at the top once again.
I think the teamsheet was wrong in fairness. Lacazette played mostly down the middle from what I saw with Nketiah wide right. They badly need a creative player though. Outside of Ozil they've only really got Willock it seems and he's both inexperienced and very Arsenal-y. Saka and Nketiah look like they've got something about them mentally but I don't see it with Willock.