2019/20 Rivals - Chelsea

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Mason Mount looks quality though.

They'll take a while to gell and start looking more comfortable but I think selling Luiz will prove to be a costly error ultimately. Whens Rudiger back?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Good going forward. They created a fair bit.

Defensively a mess.
Good going forward in terms of approach play, but who is putting the finishing touches to any of their moves? Abraham is a good championship level striker, not a top six premier league one. Giroud is .. Giroud.

Others like Pulisic, Pedro, CHO .. they're all decent enough players in support, but they simply won't score enough even if they might look dangerous at times. Emerson looked their most threatening player, a fecking wingback!

This will be the story of their season, as well as being completely naive defensively.

cyberman

They're good going forward because nobody stretches the play and they always have numbers just outside the box.
It kind of bluffs you as the game progresses.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Probably apt really, just Liverpool in the super cup next... If we defend like that :nervous:.

Don't think you can go to OT with a young team and play as open as that. Game was begging for an experienced team and sitting deep playing on the counter. Zouma also made a lot of mistakes in first half.
You hadn't heard? United are were relegation candidates before this game kicked off.

Not sure how people feel about that now.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Does he? What did he do?
I thought he looked very positive in terms of his play and made a couple of great passes in the first half that could have turned into something. Got a bit lost in the second half but it was clear to see why his two loans have gone so well.

Chelsea overall were pretty good going forward in the first half - Emerson looks like a good attacking full-back, probably more of a wing back in a 3 actually and it'd make sense for Lampard to switch to a 3 at the back because defensively they looked weak/it seems like most of their better players are more central.

Superunknown

I know that fans have been critical of our own team due to the Summer transfer window, but I 100% wouldn't swap our squad for theirs.

There were times when they moved the ball pretty well and got into decent positions, but there's no cutting edge there. I was also a bit surprised at how clumsy they looked on the counter in the second half. It will be a different season for Chelsea fans and the plus side is that they will see lots of younger players playing, but I think they will have a similar problem to us when it comes to scoring goals. In fact, it may be even harder for them in that area.

WillianOut

Supports
Chelsea
First 55 we were all over them, playing out fairly well and pressing decently but after that the shape completely went and we just got caught in transition. A pressing style like that takes time and specific profiles of player to implement. Azpillicueta, for as great a servant he has been, demonstrated that he is not good enough any more as he lacks the pace he used to have to be part of an aggressive press and also the technical ability for a team wanting to dominate possession as we saw last season and again today. Zouma was terrible but I am willing to give him time but cannot excuse Lamps for starting Pedro over Pulisic. Pedro is another who we need to phase out. For all the reactionaries out there we still have Rudiger, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi and Kante to come back in over the course of the season. This season was always going to be transitional.

Robertd0803

Think they are in for another horror show against Liverpool in the Super Cup.

What a battering today.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We shouldn't forget that Chelsea were without a lot of players.

Rudiger, Hudson-Odoi, Loftus Cheek all injured. With Kante and Pulisic on the bench and Willian missing in action. They will improve, they just need to ensure they don't lose too much ground in the opening few games otherwise it's going to be a long way back. They've got a pretty difficult opening two months. Leicester, Wovles and Liverpool coming up.

Superunknown

First 55 we were all over them, playing out fairly well and pressing decently but after that the shape completely went and we just got caught in transition. A pressing style like that takes time and specific profiles of player to implement. Azpillicueta, for as great a servant he has been, demonstrated that he is not good enough any more as he lacks the pace he used to have to be part of an aggressive press and also the technical ability for a team wanting to dominate possession as we saw last season and again today. Zouma was terrible but I am willing to give him time but cannot excuse Lamps for starting Pedro over Pulisic. Pedro is another who we need to phase out. For all the reactionaries out there we still have Rudiger, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi and Kante to come back in over the course of the season. This season was always going to be transitional.
All four players that you mentioned there would have improved you today. It's only the first game and it was always going to be a tough game for Chelsea. I expect them to massively improve over the season.

Fıstıkçı Şahap

Said they're in for a terrible season and will be out in the group stages of CL in bold predictions thread. Seems like that's not so bold after today. They look awful and if Leicester, Wolves and Everton can get their shit together they have the possibility of dropping out of the top 6 IMO.

CHKBC

Chelsea’s defence takes the proverbial cake. At sixes and sevens. It will be a long season for them.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Jorginho, Kovacic and Barkley were all bang average today. Kante is their only world-class CM. I didn't watch Jorginho at Napoli but he has been nothing special for Chelsea so far.

Djemba-Djemba

Kante/Pulisic didn't start, and these were missing: Willian, Rudiger, Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi.
It was the worst Chelsea lineup I've seen against us at Old Trafford in a long long time, didn't realise they had so many out.

I know it's obvious but losing Hazard is just such a blow. He was the best player in the league.

Brophs

The One and Only
Lampard is really rocking the “Mum’s first boyfriend after the divorce” look.

Djemba-Djemba

Kante, Rudiger, Willian, RLC & CHO. Not saying with the score would've been any different. Mistakes happen and today ours were mercilessly punished.
To be fair I didn't realise you had so many out.

You'll obviously be much better when they return

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It was the worst Chelsea lineup I've seen against us at Old Trafford in a long long time, didn't realise they had so many out.

I know it's obvious but losing Hazard is just such a blow. He was the best player in the league.
I think Pulisic & Hudson-Odoi combined could sort of make up for Hazard's loss or make the Hazard-shaped hole smaller but Hudson-Odoi has been injured for a while now.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
They’re finishing 8th this season
Seeing that a mile away. Atrocious defence and they’ve lost all their goal scoring threat through Hazard. It will be ugly for them

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Thought they were the better team for most of the match, got cut open on a couple of counters and that was that. However, the defensively frailty when faced with pace and the inability to finish chances that hurt them today will probably be a thorn in the side all season.

Still a strong contender for 4th though.

OverratedOpinion

Too early to tell really, it was a tight game and then we scored a couple in a really short space of time. The game then slipped away from them.

With that said they will miss Hazard and their defence doesn't fill you with confidence when you look at the players they have there. Kante, Loftus-Cheek and Kovacic has the makings of a good midfield though and both Abraham and Mount look exciting.

Will probably be an interesting season where they end up just outside the top 4.

fallengt

Our midfield still need to be strengthen somehow. Chelsea was really unlucky in the first half but defensively, they were a mess.
Anyway, 3 points against rival is superb.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'll take the banter we will inevitably get but I'm actually happy with how we played for the most part. On another day we would have scored as many as you with our chances. Zouma and Christensen are both a worry though. Rudiger is our best defender and if those 2 aren't up to it we'll give Tomori a go. It annoys me that we sold Luiz because for all of his faults, he wouldn't have made half of the mistakes Zouma made today. I liked Mount and he reminds me a lot of Maddison. Barkley was good in patches but disappointing overall. I genuinely think Kovacic should be playing where Jorginho is. We'll really see how we are going to be this season when we have Kante, Rudiger, Hudson Odoi and Pulisic starting...with RLC to come in a few months.

TheThingThatShouldNotBe

Supports
Chelsea
We’ve got big problems no doubt, although we were missing several players. Luiz to Arsenal was an obvious mistake and was proven so after Zouma’s howler. Once we get Rudiger, Kante, CHO, James and Willian back we’ll be much better. That still leaves Cheek to return too. Hopefully we can get 6th and build from there once we can buy again.

I’d be concerned as a United fan though, I thought you guys looked terrible for the most part, well, before the second goal at least. Better, more stable teams than us will have a field day against that midfield.

Irwin99

Thought they actually looked pretty good in the first half and shifted the ball really well at times, it was not what i was expecting. Both teams made a lot of errors and the second goal was the killer.

If they get their best players back and tighten up the defence they could surprise a few people.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
We’ve got big problems no doubt, although we were missing several players. Luiz to Arsenal was an obvious mistake and was proven so after Zouma’s howler. Once we get Rudiger, Kante, CHO, James and Willian back we’ll be much better. That still leaves Cheek to return too. Hopefully we can get 6th and build from there once we can buy again.

I’d be concerned as a United fan though, I thought you guys looked terrible for the most part, well, before the second goal at least. Better, more stable teams than us will have a field day against that midfield.
Yeah, I’m shitting myself after that performance.

sport2793

Nice try, you had me there for a moment.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
They missed Luiz. 8m must be the lowest amount spent to directly weaken a rival, imo.