2019/20 Rivals - Chelsea

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
What’s wrong with the 4231?
It encourages creativity but exposes midfield gaps. A pivot of Kante and Matic is far more ideal for a 2-man pivot than one including Jorginho. Also forwards can get isolated and it can be hard to find an out ball to relieve pressure.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Then you will be disappointed, 6th is the absolute worst case scenario.
I hope you are right and i'm very wrong on this. We have problems at both ends. With our striker problems it looks like we're going to really struggle to score enough goals. At the other end we look like conceeding at least 2 a game. If things stay that way then every game will be a difficult one to win. So, at best i say 6th and worse about 12th. BUT, if confidence zaps away, pressure builds and nerves set in, things could get very messy.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
That would be ideal. I don't think this club is anywhere near sniffing trophies at the moment.
Do not want EL football next season, so i'd rather we finish 8th than 5th-7th.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Do not want EL football next season, so i'd rather we finish 8th than 5th-7th.
It could actually be a good thing next season as it will give game time for the likes of Gilmour, Anjorin, Lamptey etc al.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It encourages creativity but exposes midfield gaps. A pivot of Kante and Matic is far more ideal for a 2-man pivot than one including Jorginho. Also forwards can get isolated and it can be hard to find an out ball to relieve pressure.
Happy to let you have Matic back :angel:

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
It could actually be a good thing next season as it will give game time for the likes of Gilmour, Anjorin, Lamptey etc al.
Frank will go if we dont get top four next season, so i don't want anything to get in the way of us getting CL football. Play some of the youth in domestic cups.

haram

For some reason I thought his injury was going to keep him out for most of this season?

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Back in full training. Maybe on the bench for the weekend?

Times are bad if Franky’s going to consider himself for the bench..:lol:

I know who you’re really on about it that pic ;) Fair play, glad that injury wasn’t a career finisher!

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Back in full training. Maybe on the bench for the weekend?

Full training and game action are very different things.

Koscielny returned to full training last year on 10/22 and didn't appear in a game until 12/16. Hudson-Odoi may be quicker to move from training to matches but I wouldn't expect it anytime too soon.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I said on here after the 6-0 City game that people will lose their mind over a scoreline rather than analysing performances. The same applies today.

We were a lot better than I expected for about 60 minutes today. We went to Old Trafford with a young side and out played United in my opinion. 2 goals in a minute and a late counter flattered united massively.

I personally thought we should have been winning at ht. united scored near enough all of their chances we missed a couple of big ones. I’m actually fairly optimistic after today. Zouma will Be replaces by Ruidger which solves most of the issues from today. Barkley and Mount can’t play together which will be solved by Pulisic. Striker is a big worry as Abraham is out of depth at this level I feel.

We were very naive once it went 3-0. Could maybe argue we were naive the entire game with how we set up. United struggle against a low block. Think a more experienced manager would have set us up to contain and counter better. This was a theme of lampard at Derby though, especially in away games. Hopefully he learns that there’s no need to set up openly against a strong counter side away.

Thought United were pretty poor today (performance wise anyway, they were very clinical which isn’t a bad thing), a lot of the issues from previous years still seemed to be there. Lack of any real game plan bar countering with high transitions. Mcguire looked solid, wont have much easier games than against Abraham though. Midfield looks really poor, Pogba was good though. Needs supported more.
Wrote this after the United game and pretty pleased with how things have progressed since. We were very good against Liverpool. Started great against Leicester but faded massively. Going to chalk that up to playing 120 minutes midweek, fitness levels aren’t at peak yet either. Defence was sleeping for the goals today but barring those Norwich didn’t have much chances. Again once Rudiger comes in and Kante is back this should solve our weakness. Happy enough with how things are going so far.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Wrote this after the United game and pretty pleased with how things have progressed since. We were very good against Liverpool. Started great against Leicester but faded massively. Going to chalk that up to playing 120 minutes midweek, fitness levels aren’t at peak yet either. Defence was sleeping for the goals today but barring those Norwich didn’t have much chances. Again once Rudiger comes in and Kante is back this should solve our weakness. Happy enough with how things are going so far.
Winning today crucial for us. Could be a key game, ridiculous as that sounds now. Will give the team belief and especially Mount and Abraham.

We're too open though, I can see how Lampard wants to play, and it's an exciting style of football to watch. Lampard can tweak us a bit tactically and get attacking players to defend from front more. Plus players back and we'll look much more balanced.

I think we can kick on now with the win and motor up the table. Still think 5th realistic finish this season.

bucky

Emerson starting to look like the player they've signed from Roma. Good start to the season by the looks of it.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Emerson starting to look like the player they've signed from Roma. Good start to the season by the looks of it.
He was highly rated at one point with Roma but knee injuries didn't do him any favors. Glad he's displaced Alonso.

Will finish ahead of us easily. Their defense is shambolic but even with losing Hazard their attack looks 5 times as cohesive as ours

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
We won't be catching City and Liverpool this season and probably not next but there's a clear blueprint that should get us there eventually so until then we should just enjoy the process.

izec

A bit jealous to be fair. Talented and exciting youth players getting chances and a lot of playing time. A manager that knows what he is doing, at least attacking wise. If they buy a couple of defenders,, they could improve a lot. A bit like City and Pool

Raw

I would be really happy as Chelsea fan this season.
Yeah it looks like a fresh identity that they're trying to bring into the club, with them finally taking advantage of their youth academy. It helps that they've won the title quite recently anyway so they're not as desperate for the big trophies as we are. Lampard should be given a lot of time to implement what he's trying to bring to the club.

Sky12

Supports
Chelsea
Strangely, even though we have had our ases handed to us and we will no doubt get smacked going forward due to the state of our defense. I am quite enjoying watching this kids.

Especially Mount, he is hell of a finisher that boy and very hard to find that in a young midfielder. Add Ruben, Cho, James, Kante and Rudiger to this team and it looks very interesting.

Let's not forget Kovacic, beginning to look really good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grinner

Ban

Strangely, even though we have had our ases handed to us and we will no doubt get smacked going forward due to the state of our defense. I am quite enjoying watching this kids.

Especially Mount, he is hell of a finisher that boy and very hard to find that in a young midfielder. Add Ruben, Cho, James, Kante and Rudiger to this team and it looks very interesting.

Let's not forget Kovacic, beginning to look really good.
Yeah finally a good game by Kova. Glad for him, we Croatia need him for a huge September.

TheeAma12

Supports
Chelsea
Two goals by the academy! Such wonderful day. Great for Tammy, this will do him great going forward. Mount proving me right that he is a gem in the making. Keep up the good work and i can see him and tammy getting an england call up if they keep on scoring. Frank made some nice tactical tweaks in the 2nd half that gave us more compactness.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Winning today crucial for us. Could be a key game, ridiculous as that sounds now. Will give the team belief and especially Mount and Abraham.

We're too open though, I can see how Lampard wants to play, and it's an exciting style of football to watch. Lampard can tweak us a bit tactically and get attacking players to defend from front more. Plus players back and we'll look much more balanced.

I think we can kick on now with the win and motor up the table. Still think 5th realistic finish this season.
Lampard was naive last season away as well. Tried to play the same home and away and seems similar with us. Will end up in a few bad scores I imagine but also some fun games. Hopefully gets slightly more pragmatic.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I just can't wait for James, CHO and RLC to get fit and get some minutes! Very possible we might have 6 or even 7 academy products on the pitch at the same time which for us is incredible.
I really hope (also for England :D ) that the Chelsea bosses are giving Lampard a fair chance and obviously not all young players will make it for different reasons but to have 6-7 academy players in every matchday squad would be already nice :)

3-4 players out of Ampadu, Clarke-Salter, Gallagher, Chalobah, Gilmour, Anjorin and McEachran should have a good chance too if Lampard is still in charge in 2-3 years.
Yeah it looks like a fresh identity that they're trying to bring into the club, with them finally taking advantage of their youth academy. It helps that they've won the title quite recently anyway so they're not as desperate for the big trophies as we are. Lampard should be given a lot of time to implement what he's trying to bring to the club.
Their big advantage is also that nearly every of their youngsters were already on loan expect Hudson-Odoi.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Some appreciation please for when Ross Barkley morphed into Diego Maradona for 10 seconds. Disappointingly he returned to being Ross Barkley shortly after.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Interesting challenge for Lampard. His legendary status as a player will give him credit in the bank with the fans. As will lowered expectations due to the transfer ban. Nice to see youth players at Chelsea get a chance. Something the transfer ban may encourage. Did right to move on Luiz. Pulisic looks exciting. Can't see top four but will be not far off in league position.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting challenge for Lampard. His legendary status as a player will give him credit in the bank with the fans. As will lowered expectations due to the transfer ban. Nice to see youth players at Chelsea get a chance. Something the transfer ban may encourage. Did right to move on Luiz. Pulisic looks exciting. Can't see top four but will be not far off in league position.
The transfer ban, more than anything else, is the thing that buys Lampard time in the event of a terrible season.

Ether

getting ridiculous now, there's genuine abuse but I swear so many kids are just shitposting online to get a reaction too

Nero

The only difference is that it is getting media coverage now. It isn't a new thing.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
People are morons, what can you say.

At halftime looked like points in the bag today. Both goals Azpi mainly from the defence im my opinion, got megged on the first one and needs to block cross for the second one. Poor.

Overall as a team we don't defend well. Not great result, should be beating promoted teams at home.

Abraham good finishing and performance.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Odoi looks sharp but Reece will is still looking rusty and probably won't be reintroduced until after the next international break (bar Grimsby).