2019/20 Rivals - Chelsea

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
As said in other thread, surprised Wolves are 11/5 to beat Chelsea. Took 4 points off them last season (could've been six but for Hazard 90th minute strike at Stamford Bridge). Think two week break has come at a good time for them to give some of their squad a breather after hectic opening period of the season.

Just seen Chelsea have Liverpool at home next week so I think they're going to be off the pace with regards top teams in the league.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
As said in other thread, surprised Wolves are 11/5 to beat Chelsea. Took 4 points off them last season (could've been six but for Hazard 90th minute strike at Stamford Bridge). Think two week break has come at a good time for them to give some of their squad a breather after hectic opening period of the season.

Just seen Chelsea have Liverpool at home next week so I think they're going to be off the pace with regards top teams in the league.
Weirdly if we can get Kante back in time I'm pretty confident for Liverpool. Lampard will apply similar tactics to what he did in Istanbul and it will probably boil down to if we can track Firminho better than we did that night.

We are in a similar stage to 12/13 where it's a genuine mystery what's going to happen from one week to the next, honestly wouldn't surprise me to see us beat Wolves 3-0 tomorrow then scalp Liverpool next week only to tamely surrender to a 0-1 against Brighton at Stamford Bridge the week after.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Wolves are an excellent counter attacking team. If we play very open and high up the pitch could be in trouble.

Will be interesting to see if there are some tactical changes to combat that.

Best way of playing them is to also counter and give up possession to them I think.

That is why Sarri struggled against them, we had over 70% of the ball in both games last year.

They also only has 3 shots on target across both games and scored all of them.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Wolves are an excellent counter attacking team. If we play very open and high up the pitch could be in trouble.

Will be interesting to see if there are some tactical changes to combat that.

Best way of playing them is to also counter and give up possession to them I think.

That is why Sarri struggled against them, we had over 70% of the ball in both games last year.

They also only has 3 shots on target across both games and scored all of them.
I wouldn't say we struggled against them at Stamford Bridge, they literally scored from their only chance of the game and the rest of the time it felt like the play was in their third.

At Molineux we played right into their hands and were sucker punched but at home we dealt with their counter danger really well and just happened to concede the one time they manage to get away.

filibuster

Supports
Chelsea FC
All 9 Chelsea league goals so far came from Academy players.

Abraham - 6
Mount - 2
Tomori - 1

We still have Ruben and Hudson-Odoi to come back from injuries and there is also a case for Reece James. Exciting times!

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Huh just saw Tomori was born in Canada but declared for England. Similar to Hargreaves it looks like.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Good old Tammy firing us out of the bottom 3.:drool:

I'll keep off this thread for a few games considering I predicted a Wolves win.:lol:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Wow great result, only saw last 20 mins or so. Definitely big tweaks made by Lampard for the game.

Got to say it vindicates Lampard's descison to play Tammy, Mount, Tomori etc.

I think we're clearly improving and that is very encouraging, especially given we've got loads of players coming back from injury too. Just what we needed, now we've got 4 games at home including big ones against Valencia and Liverpool.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea youth talent are good, but I believe Lampard is making them appear much better than they are. They are also performing this well without Loftus Cheeks and Odoi.
Isnt that what you want in a manager?

DevilRed

lampard is literally doing the exact thing as Ole is for us.

Playing the youth and trusting them whether it goes good or bad.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Must've missed his comments. What did Jose say about Mount/Abraham?
That he wouldn't have played them (at Old Trafford) because you need something more then name checked the likes of Giroud, Alonso and Willian.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
It's like we're the polar opposite of the side we've been in recent years. We create chances for fun going forward and score lots of goals but can't defend to save our lives at times (though we looked significantly better before Rüdiger went off with a knock today).

Incredible to see all these youngsters not only getting a chance, but being amongst our best performers consistently. And we still have arguably our two most talented ones to come back in RLC & Hudson-Odoi. Reece James if a top talent as well who's on the brink of a return.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's like we're the polar opposite of the side we've been in recent years. We create chances for fun going forward and score lots of goals but can't defend to save our lives at times (though we looked significantly better before Rüdiger went off with a knock today).

Incredible to see all these youngsters not only getting a chance, but being amongst our best performers consistently. And we still have arguably our two most talented ones to come back in RLC & Hudson-Odoi. Reece James if a top talent as well who's on the brink of a return.
In my opinion, Reece is the best of the lot.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's strange they've become such a likeable team now. Anyway, among the other top 5 teams, I've always preferred them to the rest.
People said the same when the Hazard, Azpi, Oscar era started. We will only become "likeable" until we start challenging at the top again.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Starting to see what Lampard wants... i think with a possible few additions in Jan or a big summer next year, we could be much stronger again like previous.

Lee565

Looking at how lampard has stuck to his philosophy of how he wants to play despite the 4-0 drubbing at old Trafford and the other few early season dodgy disappointing results against the likes of Sheffield United and will probably have quite a few more still to come, it's almost makes think what if when united were somewhat similar early in the season in van gaal's first season where we looked like we was going to see some great football but were initially very leaky in defence and suffered a bad result against Leicester, what if lvg had just stuck to what we was doing instead bottling and ultimately becoming a safe, dull, boring side for the rest of his tenure at the club.

filibuster

Supports
Chelsea FC
Maybe it is not the best analogy but when you raise hunting dogs and teach them to hunt and be fearless, there is a clear difference when you raise them in a pack and when you do it individually. There is a natural competition born between the pack members - who gets the first reward, who gets the first praise etc. and consequently you get almost guaranteed success. When you do it individually, it depends a lot on luck related to the character of the individual, he might hesitate more as he knows he still gets the love and the food, etc.

Mount, Tomori, and Abraham benefit a lot from that in my opinion. Mount was the first to start the form and get the plaudits, which helped Abraham to stay focused and shine later. Now Tomori made a statement and I don't think this is just a coincidence. Reece James seems to have the same attitude as the above-mentioned players and no doubt he is eager to get fit to be in contention, whereas CHO, with all the contract negotiations, seems to think he is already worth it.

I hope he signs and then shows that he wants to be here because at this moment it is not that clear. It takes only one bad apple, especially when we talk about youth, and I hope it is not the case with him.

United had some young players coming through the past few years, like Rashford, Lingard with Pogba returning and it seems like they all have the same demeanor, which not always benefit the team. I hope we have a different culture, where the performance on the pitch reserves you the bragging rights and the fat paycheck.

I trust Lampard, who is known for his professionalism, to hold these players to the higher standards. Only then we can safely say we got ourselves a new spine and are ready to build on it.

R'hllor

He had no problems starting Varane or pre-injury Zouma at CB where players tend to peak at a later age.
His definition of promoting youth is to pull out a paper with list of players he gave 2-3 min debuts and most never to be seen after.

TheeAma12

Supports
Chelsea
He cant see anything past their age, in that regard he is a fecking imbecile.
Wrong! He said that you are playing manchester united, they might not be as big as they once were but first game of the season at old trafford you need experience heads to manage the game. And we lost that game because of inexperience, when we should have slowed the game down we went gunho and got pounded into the dirt.

haram

His definition of promoting youth is to pull out a paper with list of players he gave 2-3 min debuts and most never to be seen after.
Or you know, Scott McTominay who plays week in week out for Manchester United. His comments after the Chelsea game came about because Chelsea were naive.

R'hllor

Or you know, Scott McTominay who plays week in week out for Manchester United. His comments after the Chelsea game came about because Chelsea were naive.
Nobody will take McT away from him, even some could say it was a project of his to show how he aint what he really is, guy invented a fecking reward for him. Comments were made before a game too. I wont go more in debate with you about JM, i have read enough of your drivel during his time here.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Nobody will take McT away from him, even some could say it was a project of his to show how he aint what he really is, guy invented a fecking reward for him. Comments were made before a game too. I wont go more in debate with you about JM, i have read enough of your drivel during his time here.
Tbf to Jose, people take it to extremes when the discussion is on young players. He doesn't have problems with young players who have already played at professional level, he knows what he gets from them. His problem was not trusting young players from academy before they played elsewhere. Maybe he doesn't have development plan for them as he never stays more than 3 years at any club.

haram

Scott has proven him correct. Jose didn't have to believe in him. People can twist it however much they want, Scott did a good job for us back then and he is still improving every day. Everything Jose said about Scott was true. The irony is that it was many fans who called him "McTalentless".

LInkash

Not really. Most of our youth players who did so well in preseason are coming of bench. Lampard is actually starting his. Plus Lampard has Chelsea playing more attractive football.
To be fair, Abraham, Mount and Tomori are all 20+ and have had experience as first team players out on loan whereas, Greenwood Gomes and Chong are all teenagers without any senior football.

roonster09

Scout
To be fair, Abraham, Mount and Tomori are all 20+ and have had experience as first team players out on loan whereas, Greenwood Gomes and Chong are all teenagers without any senior football.
Yeah, Chelsea youngsters who are playing have played on loan in championship and other leagues.

Games played by Chelsea youngsters
Mount - 83
Tammy - 130 +
Tomori - 90

ManUtd ones we are expecting to step up
Pereira - 104
Dalot - 54
James - 47
Greenwood - 8
Gomes - 4
AWB - 50
Garner - 1
Tuanzebe - 43
McT - 51
Chong - 4

Credit to Lampard for sticking with young players, instead of playing other senior players but they shouldn't be compared with Chong, Greenwood, Gomes. Saying that, Ole should also stick to what he said few weeks back, that once we have 3 games in a week, youngsters will play games.

roonster09

Scout
Scott has proven him correct. Jose didn't have to believe in him. People can twist it however much they want, Scott did a good job for us back then and he is still improving every day. Everything Jose said about Scott was true. The irony is that it was many fans who called him "McTalentless".
He played him in few of the biggest games but he wasn't regular player under Jose. Even in the season he was sacked, he gave 251 mins in half a season, Ole played him in 973 mins.

Jose promoted McTominay but looks like Ole trusts him more than Jose did going by how many mins and how bigger role they are playing.