2019/20 Rivals - Chelsea

cyberman

This is tough, we would have a lot of players who can play in various positions.

I’d personally go with:

Werner. Abraham. Ziyech/Havertz

Havertz/RLC (If Fit)

Kovacic Kante

Chilwell Rudiger. Christensen. James.

Kepa

There would be depth on the bench too so plenty of players would still get game time
That central defence is a glaring weakness for me.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
I would love to take Zouma back at Everton. Once he got a run of games in the second half of his loan spell he was formidable at the back for us, he even made Keane look competent.

Before the season ended didn't he take Christensens spot in the team ?

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
I would love to take Zouma back at Everton. Once he got a run of games in the second half of his loan spell he was formidable at the back for us, he even made Keane look competent.

Yes he did play more regularly and i like Zouma, i just think he is more likely to be sold which is why i put Christensen in.

To answer the previous post i'd agree that central defence is the weak spot, not terrible, but certainly not title challenging material. We either need to strengthen that or go with the 'we can score one more than you' mentality :lol:

charlie C

Supports
Chelsea
Yes he did play more regularly and i like Zouma, i just think he is more likely to be sold which is why i put Christensen in.

To answer the previous post i'd agree that central defence is the weak spot, not terrible, but certainly not title challenging material. We either need to strengthen that or go with the 'we can score one more than you' mentality :lol:
A decent left back coupled with a left footed/sided centre back and we would be a lot closer to Liverpool. Title challenging maybe though we would probably need a couple of seasons to gel.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea

There is a lot of chatter re Zouma leaving.

As things stand Chelsea have 4 CD in the 2019/20 squad . For me just one is good enough to be considered as a regular starter and that’s Rudiger.

Returning from loan is Ampadu who I think offers more than Christensen, Tomori or Zouma that said I don’t see Ampadu at this time as first choice.I readily acknowledge that some see him more as a midfielder than a CD but for me he has the potential to be a topCD.

I can’t believe that Chelsea aren’t looking to bring in a CD and if that’s correct then if, and a big if, they decide to keep Ampadu I can see then selling both Christensen and Zouma to fund a top CD.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Ampadu can flourish in a middle of a back 3. Not quite sure in a back 4. And we are forgetting Tomori as well. These are still relatively young centres backs whi are constantly chopping and changing. Pick two and leave them in there for a while and I believe you'll see improvement.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Ampadu can flourish in a middle of a back 3. Not quite sure in a back 4. And we are forgetting Tomori as well. These are still relatively young centres backs whi are constantly chopping and changing. Pick two and leave them in there for a while and I believe you'll see improvement.
Agree re Tomiri hence why I suggest that Zouma and or Christensen be allowed to go.

Far from sure what’s going on re Jake Clarke Salter some thing he is more accomplished than Tomori. I know he was on loan but not heard a lot as to how it’s going for him.

TheReligion

Abusive

Fecking hell you seen this @noodlehair

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I thought that was some old post of mine you'd dug up and was trying to figure out why I don't remember saying that :lol:

Garry Buck

I think if they can sign Havertz and Chilwell they will be really really good. However I don’t think they will challenge unless they get a top class cb in and a gk.

dbs235

I think if they can sign Havertz and Chilwell they will be really really good. However I don’t think they will challenge unless they get a top class cb in and a gk.
They may as well just go full Football Manager and sign Havertz, Chilwell and a Kouilibaly. They'll be set for years and surely theres plenty of uneeded players they can sell to fund it (Emerson, Drinkwater, Moses, Zappacosta, Bakayoka, Rahman, Piazon, Miazga, Kenedy).

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They may as well just go full Football Manager and sign Havertz, Chilwell and a Kouilibaly. They'll be set for years and surely theres plenty of uneeded players they can sell to fund it (Emerson, Drinkwater, Moses, Zappacosta, Bakayoka, Rahman, Piazon, Miazga, Kenedy).
You missed one! We've just sold Palasic to Atalanta for 15 mil Euros.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I really don’t think Chilwell is a massive upgrade, and he doesn’t worry me too much.

Havertz is another story though. He is top class. Even at that, I still feel they are missing a top drawer CB and they have a lot of good wide attacking options, no one truly great though. I don’t think Ziyech will be that player, although I could be wrong.

I think what Chelsea really need is a clearout. They have far too many good players. They could do with getting rid of 4-5 good ones to bring in a few great ones.

Maybe that’s where this is headed. United need to be on the ball.

Pep's Suit

Honestly Chelsea need two centre-backs and a keeper. Christensen, Zouma and Kepa are all average at best.

flappyjay

Sometimes we think managers are mad as we don't get to see the going ons at training. I remember my brother (a Chelsea fan) being angry that Conte played a false 9 instead of starting Batshuayi.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Sometimes we think managers are mad as we don't get to see the going ons at training. I remember my brother (a Chelsea fan) being angry that Conte played a false 9 instead of starting Batshuayi.
I never got the fandom with Michy whatsoever, it was clear he lacked the quality of mentality to be a Chelsea player from day dot.

flappyjay

I never got the fandom with Michy whatsoever, it was clear he lacked the quality of mentality to be a Chelsea player from day dot.
He might not be top quality but when the team is short on strikers he is not the worst player to call on for help. It was just surprising to see you guys play a false 9 with a decent striker on the bench.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He might not be top quality but when the team is short on strikers he is not the worst player to call on for help. It was just surprising to see you guys play a false 9 with a decent striker on the bench.
As the article says, when the striker cannot follow instructions, what do you do?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Poor dude has been ravaged by injuries.

He should probably sign an extension and go on loan to put himself in the shop window for the following year.

Can't imagine he's got many clubs after him after two seasons out with multiple knee surgeries.

United58

Can't believe he's still there, he was bought for £7m then played against us in an FA Youth Cup match :houllier:

Luke1995

The goalkeeping situation: Will Chelsea put faith on Kepa for the long term or are they looking for a better option in the market ?

Also, if there are any Chelsea fans in here, what do you want Lampard to do in regards to that ?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The goalkeeping situation: Will Chelsea put faith on Kepa for the long term or are they looking for a better option in the market ?

Also, if there are any Chelsea fans in here, what do you want Lampard to do in regards to that ?
Sign a keeper that's good enough to push him and take his place in the side if he doesn't buck his ideas up (if you promote Henderson next year i wouldn't mind bringing in Romero if you would sell to us) and if that hasn't worked then look for a proper replacement.

Luke1995

Sign a keeper that's good enough to push him and take his place in the side if he doesn't buck his ideas up (if you promote Henderson next year i wouldn't mind bringing in Romero if you would sell to us) and if that hasn't worked then look for a proper replacement.
I think you would have a better chance of signing Henderson or De Gea than Romero. I'm almost sure Romero received plenty of offers since he's been here and never wanted to go...

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think you would have a better chance of signing Henderson or De Gea than Romero. I'm almost sure Romero received plenty of offers since he's been here and never wanted to go...
Wouldn't that change if he was relegated to 3rd choice though?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Would anyone take Kepa for a decent fee though? I'd have thought Roman would be v. pissed if you didn't recoup much after spending 70-80m on him.

Luke1995

Would anyone take Kepa for a decent fee though? I'd have thought Roman would be v. pissed if you didn't recoup much after spending 70-80m on him.
Not in this market affected by what's going on in the world. If Roman would want to get back that money, probably needs to sell another player alongside him.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Personally I'd be keen on buying Onana for ~£25-30m as I think there are fundamental issues with Kepa that will prevent him from ever being world class - chiefly, he has an instinct to swing his arms behind his torso prior to shots coming in in order to give himself enough momentum to dive and cover the goal, making him especially vulnerable to shots close to his body.

This is a very good analysis of why Kepa's technique has led to major issues:
https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2020/5/14/21257561/solving-chelseas-kepa-conundrum-part-1

Luke1995

Personally I'd be keen on buying Onana for ~£25-30m as I think there are fundamental issues with Kepa that will prevent him from ever being world class - chiefly, he has an instinct to swing his arms behind his torso prior to shots coming in in order to give himself enough momentum to dive and cover the goal, making him especially vulnerable to shots close to his body.

This is a very good analysis of why Kepa's technique has led to major issues:
https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2020/5/14/21257561/solving-chelseas-kepa-conundrum-part-1
Sure! I'll read it. Don't think Roman would want to spend big on goalkeepers though

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Only possibility would be Kepa to Atletico and Oblak to Chelsea. But I thought Kepa looked ok on his return to the starting XI.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Only possibility would be Kepa to Atletico and Oblak to Chelsea. But I thought Kepa looked ok on his return to the starting XI.
So one of the best, if not the best, keeper in the world for Kepa?

Okey.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Yeah he still has some value to his name in Spain I think. Depends on Oblaks contract situation.