2019/20 Rivals - Chelsea

AkaAkuma

A thread to assess top 6 competitors to see how there squads are shaping up for next season.
  • What will be their starting lineup?
  • Transfer ban aside - Who are they being linked to in the transfer market?
  • Whats their squad depth like, Who will fill the squad roles?
  • Where do you predict them to finish?
  1. Transfer ban - how will this affect the make up of their squad, players are being strongly linked with moves (Hazard, Alonso, Emerson), how will they be replaced?
  2. Returning loan players - will they find new roles within the squad (Batshuayi, Abraham, Zouma, Tomori, James, Bakayoko, Mount).

Last edited:

SambaBoy

CHO/Pulisic will replace Hazard which is not bad tbf. Even if they could use the transfer window, I think they would be pretty happy with them two. Pulisic is a highly rated youngster and CHO can be even better. I can't see either reaching Hazard's level or replacing his productivity.

Loftus-Cheek was finally starting to live up to his promise, and now it seems he's out for 6months which is a massive blow for him and them. Jorginho will be better after a difficult few months in his first season. Kovacic will mostly likely be signed if the transfer ban is imposed. Higuain as well, who may start looking like his former self after 6 months and a full pre-season behind him.

Could struggle for top four if they lose Sarri and the transfer ban is imposed especially if they go for a manager like Lampard.

The Nani

CHO/Pulisic will replace Hazard which is not bad tbf. Even if they could use the transfer window, I think they would be pretty happy with them two. Pulisic is a highly rated youngster and CHO can be even better. I can't see either reaching Hazard's level or replacing his productivity.

Loftus-Cheek was finally starting to live up to his promise, and now it seems he's out for 6months which is a massive blow for him and them. Jorginho will be better after a difficult few months in his first season. Kovacic will mostly likely be signed if the transfer ban is imposed. Higuain as well, who may start looking like his former self after 6 months and a full pre-season behind him.

Could struggle for top four if they lose Sarri and the transfer ban is imposed especially if they go for a manager like Lampard.
CHO is coming of an achilles. Ridiculous to expect him or Pulisic to compensate for Hazard’s departure.

Chelsea are fecked if the transfer ban holds. Not one difference maker in the side aside from Azpi who is getting on now.

I predict a 6th place finish.

Rojofiam

Considering Sarri is basically gone, I think top 4 is out of their reach this season...especially if the transfer ban stays.

AJ10

Chelsea has lost its spark with Hazard going. Unless they sign some really good players, don't really see them being comfortable in Prem or CL.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Too early to discuss anything really. We'll be better placed by the end of July/begining of August.

Without a doubt they need to raise overall quality to compensate for Hazard. There isn't a player in the premier league capable of carrying a team the way he could.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Considering everything, they have an excellent season, no shame they finish behind the two best teams in Europe. Finished in 3rd, won the Europa League (seeded in Pot 1 for Champions League next season), runner-up to City in the FA Cup (and could have arguably won and I still think they would have won if Callabero was their penalty gk). So this means they will crash and burn next season.

passing-wind

I actually think they will be decent and will finish around us (5th / 6th). They have a strong enough squad with decent players amounted in different positions. Only area they struggle in is a forward.

We have something far worse than any of the top 6 and that's a weak mentality. Got next to no hope next season.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
Despite losing Hazard and possibly Sarri they're still in a better place to finish top four than Arsenal or Utd.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Last two times we we're predicted doom before the season started we ended up 3rd and 1st.

Keep it coming.

dove

It is quite bad. Pulisic will replace no one with his 4 goals per season and he is massively overrated IMO. CHO has a serious injury and it's hard to say when is he back in full strength. Same with Loftus-Cheek. I think they are in quite a terrible situation if transfer ban stays.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You also had Hazard + no CL football + a top/experienced manager.
Everytime there's a reason why this time it's supposedly different and not a false dawn like the others. It's turning into the reverse "this years their year" you hear for Liverpool.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Zero chance of title or CL. Spurs should improve, Utd surely can't be that bad again and Arsenal will be around 4th - 6th and i think Chelsea wil struggle to get top four. To challange the top teams they need a left and right fullback - Azpi has been fantastic but his pace is going. A top quality centre half. A creative midfielder. Upgrades on Willian and Pedro and two quality strikers. So basically half a new team.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
We definitely got enough players on loan :D

Bring back Bakayoko, Pantic, Musonda and Mount.

Bring back the Batman and we are sorted.

Seriously though, if the ban is not lifted, a 5th place would be a very good finish, but I would not be surprise if we end up in 8th place.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I was optimistic for next season regardless of Hazard leaving and any impending Transfer Ban as long as Sarri stayed. If he goes I'm very worried. His style of play is similar to Pep's in that it simply cannot be flawless in the first season. I've absolutely zero doubt that we will look much more of a team next season if he stays and our play will be more fluid. If he goes, I'm worried as to who the replacement will be and what type of football they will implement. People will point to this season and say the football was slow and boring but it was pretty clear to me what the plan was. City were similar under Pep in the first season but had much more individual quality to perform the system and to win games on their own. We only had Hazard.

I'd like to see Batshauyi given a chance, Abraham isn't good enough for me. Mount could work as a squad player, would probably benefit from a loan to a bottom half prem side more though. Would like to see Lamptey start to be integrated into the first team at a back up right back at some point. Barring him there isn't anyone from the u19 side I can see being near the first team next season.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Hopefully the transfer ban remains in place, would be so good to see a cheating club finally get proper punishment.

Extend it for like a decade and then justice will be properly done.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Hopefully the transfer ban remains in place, would be so good to see a cheating club finally get proper punishment.

Extend it for like a decade and then justice will be properly done.
Making no transfers led Spurs to a just about acceptable season this year (qualified for Champs league but potless). It's not impossible that Chelsea do the same.

I also agree that these sort of bans should stick. A bit annoying that everyone else get ls away with it but someone has to be first.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Making no transfers led Spurs to a just about acceptable season this year (qualified for Champs league but potless). It's not impossible that Chelsea do the same.

I also agree that these sort of bans should stick. A bit annoying that everyone else get ls away with it but someone has to be first.
Tottenham didn't lose their best player though.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Tottenham didn't lose their best player though.
True. He got injured for the run in and the final (I know he played but he was obviously not 100 fit) though.

No transfers and losing Hazard is not necessarily a death sentence for Chelsea next season. We normally do well with chaos!

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
True. He got injured for the run in and the final (I know he played but he was obviously not 100 fit) though.

No transfers and losing Hazard is not necessarily a death sentence for Chelsea next season. We normally do well with chaos!
I'm not expecting you to be terrible, but I will be surprised if you make Top 4 tbh (under current conditions).

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

I love Kane and think he's one of (if not the best) strikers in the world, but he's not Hazard level of influential.

You've still got a good squad and if you get the right manager can make top four, but anything more is a bit of a pipe dream. You feckers always seem to get a trophy or two though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They'll have a decent team but will struggle massively. Hazard is pretty much always the guy that everything revolves around and has been for a while. When he has an off game, Chelsea pretty much always drop points. They have decent talent out wide but Hudson Odoi is still very young while Pulisic I dont think is anything special, but we'll see how he takes to the league. They have no competent striker, they have very little creativity in their midfield, and they have a transfer ban. Good chance Sarri goes to Juve, and the rumors were that Lampard would replace him. It's basically a recipe for disaster. The managerial thing is no different to Ole taking over, but with Ole and United, we at least have loads of money that we'll almost definitely be spending, and there really wasnt much between United and Chelsea this season (where they had Hazard, while we had an awful season). You'd expect us to improve to some degree, while its inevitable they'll feel the impact of Hazard leaving.

I'd put money on them not being in the top 6 next season, unless they overturn their transfer ban and spend big money.

bosnian_red

Despite losing Hazard and possibly Sarri they're still in a better place to finish top four than Arsenal or Utd.
How do you figure that when they only snuck in in the last few weeks with everyone shitting the bed, only they didnt shit it quite as bad? So take away Hazard and replace him with youth players... Take away Sarri and replace him with someone like Lampard... theres no way they do "better". A brilliant achievement would them even getting close to what they were with Hazard and not feeling a big impact.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
[
They'll have a decent team but will struggle massively. Hazard is pretty much always the guy that everything revolves around and has been for a while. When he has an off game, Chelsea pretty much always drop points.
Yeah when he's on the pitch. There seems to be a subconscious attitude of give it to Eden with the rest of the team, when he's not on the pitch often that's when the others have stood up as there's no safety net anymore. There's even an argument that our best Sarriball esque performances have been without him (Burnley away, Arsenal home, the Europa run admitedly against shit teams).

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying losing Hazard won't be a blow of course it will, but these predictions of us falling to mid table is hilarious. Spurs and Liverpool have had some absolute rancid teams this decade (that make our squad even without Eden look like Pep's Barcelona) and never fell that far. We will at absolute worst finish 6th and I think even that will only happen if you and Arsenal have excellent windows and in your case change manager's relitevely early.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
If the transfer ban stands, that should mean the club will have twice as much to spend for the 20/21 season. That would enable them to go for more expensive, better players, which is exactly what they need to compete with City and Liverpool. Spending £60 on very average looking players like Pulisic is not going to get us very far!

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
[

Yeah when he's on the pitch. There seems to be a subconscious attitude of give it to Eden with the rest of the team, when he's not on the pitch often that's when the others have stood up as there's no safety net anymore. There's even an argument that our best Sarriball esque performances have been without him (Burnley away, Arsenal home, the Europa run admitedly against shit teams).

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying losing Hazard won't be a blow of course it will, but these predictions of us falling to mid table is hilarious. Spurs and Liverpool have had some absolute rancid teams this decade (that make our squad even without Eden look like Pep's Barcelona) and never fell that far. We will at absolute worst finish 6th and I think even that will only happen if you and Arsenal have excellent windows and in your case change manager's relitevely early.
I agree actually, I don't expect it to be as big a blow as some expect. Teams usually adjust and there's still a lot of quality and experience in the squad. A lot will depend on the mentality of the squad, and if you have an on or off season.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
How do you figure that when they only snuck in in the last few weeks with everyone shitting the bed, only they didnt shit it quite as bad? So take away Hazard and replace him with youth players... Take away Sarri and replace him with someone like Lampard... theres no way they do "better". A brilliant achievement would them even getting close to what they were with Hazard and not feeling a big impact.
Compare the state of their squad to both Arsenal's and Man Utd and it's there for all to see - they're still ahead of both teams, also Chelsea haven't hired anyone yet.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Hudson-Odoi won't be back until new year, Achilles is a very serious injury and might impact on his acceleration. Didn't Loftus Cheek get a similar injury or was it ACL.

Not great for either as they'd both be regular starters if available in August.

They've got enough options in defence to keep them ticking over, quantity if not quality for CF. I'm actually interested in seeing how central midfield will shape up. I assume next manager will put Kante straight back in at DM so can see Jorginho leaving as doubt he'll want to be back up when most of Serie A will want him.

bosnian_red

Compare the state of their squad to both Arsenal's and Man Utd and it's there for all to see - they're still ahead of both teams, also Chelsea haven't hired anyone yet.
What is there for all to see? That the single properly creative player in their midfield and attack is leaving? He was IMO the best player in the league over the past 7 years since he joined - and Chelsea's play entirely revolved around him. Do you think they'll improve with Hazard gone and essentially being replaced by Pulisic? An attack of Willian (average), pedro (average), giroud, higuain, Hudson odoi and Pulisic really isnt very good. Hudson Odoi is exciting but very young so you cant have big expectations. Pulisic is decent, but nothing special and he'll have to adapt to the prem. Giroud is what he is. Higuain is far past it, not very good these days. Their midfield has little to no creativity as well. You need goals to win games, and they are losing their pretty much only creative force who was also their top scorer. Replacing that with nobody can't go well.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
What is there for all to see? That the single properly creative player in their midfield and attack is leaving? He was IMO the best player in the league over the past 7 years since he joined - and Chelsea's play entirely revolved around him. Do you think they'll improve with Hazard gone and essentially being replaced by Pulisic? An attack of Willian (average), pedro (average), giroud, higuain, Hudson odoi and Pulisic really isnt very good. Hudson Odoi is exciting but very young so you cant have big expectations. Pulisic is decent, but nothing special and he'll have to adapt to the prem. Giroud is what he is. Higuain is far past it, not very good these days. Their midfield has little to no creativity as well. You need goals to win games, and they are losing their pretty much only creative force who was also their top scorer. Replacing that with nobody can't go well.
Agree with you. Lukaku, Utd's 3rd best striker, is better than any of Chelsea's. Pogba is a better midfielder than what we've got. Both defences are nothing special. On form i think Utd have the slightly better side, buy both are miles away from what they once were! Arsenal are what they've been for many years.

bosnian_red

Agree with you. Lukaku, Utd's 3rd best striker, is better than any of Chelsea's. Pogba is a better midfielder than what we've got. Both defences are nothing special. On form i think Utd have the slightly better side, buy both are miles away from what they once were! Arsenal are what they've been for many years.
Yeah... like, Chelsea will be fine in a few years once they start spending again, just next season I can't see it not being rough.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Impossible to judge Chelsea now.

We don't have even have manager change confirmed.

Unknown when CHO / RLC back, plus not sure whose coming back from loan or not for 1st team etc etc.

Only thing near certain is we'll have transfer ban. If that means we dodge Coutinho and Bale could be a blessing. Also id like see Ampadu, Christensen and other youth products get loads of minutes.

Normally club get it right, let's see if they do again...

AllezLesDiables

Everytime there's a reason why this time it's supposedly different and not a false dawn like the others. It's turning into the reverse "this years their year" you hear for Liverpool.
It’s great to be optimistic and Chelsea has excelled at with lots of chaos going on but it’s hard to see how the team will generate scoring. Lots to put on CHO to carry the team at 19 and Pusilic isn’t at the level to carry Chelsea either.

If the ban holds and Chelsea reaches Top 4 the new manager should be manager of the year because in the current form Chelsea is top 6-8 side.