2019/20 Rivals - Chelsea

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Entirely a reasonable position for him to take. He's a bit part player for Chelsea at this point and it makes zero sense for him to risk perhaps his last significant payday given the stage his career is in.

Obviously never hit the heights at Chelsea as he did at Barca but will be remembered fondly - always worked incredibly hard, extremely likable & mature personality, and a vital contributor in the 16/17 title. Frustrating at times with his decision making & propensity to dribble in our own half and his time is clearly up at Chelsea, but I don't think anyone will hold this manner of exit against him.

TheReligion

Abusive
Surprised no one has pulled Lampard on his unnecessary comments complaining about Sterling mentioning he would like to see more black managers in football. He seemed to take the knock about it and was weirdly over defensive on the topic calling Sterling wrong.

Been spending too much time with John Terry?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Surprised no one has pulled Lampard on his unnecessary comments complaining about Sterling mentioning he would like to see more black managers in football. He seemed to take the knock about it and was weirdly over defensive on the topic calling Sterling wrong.

Careful mate. Could pull a hammy the way you're reaching.

Robertd0803

Anyone looking to maintain their title challenge while playing Chelsea may as well not fecking bother showing up. Twice in the last few years now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone looking to maintain their title challenge while playing Chelsea may as well not fecking bother showing up. Twice in the last few years now.
Liverpool 0 -2 Chelsea reserves in 2014. It probably *slipped* your mind.

PoTMS

Really hope we get to thump these cnuts for the fourth time this season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
New one year contract for van Ginkel

Poor fella. He's had his career absolutely ravaged by injuries. I'm glad the club are sticking by him, keep giving him contracts, until he can somehow prove to a club that he's still got something in the tank.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Having gone through knee issues I empathise. Takes months to get back to near full mobility, never mind get up to fitness. Just sounds like he's prone to tears. Poor lad.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Let's try and secure top 4 and finish off a good transfer window with some defensive reinforcements and a clear out of some of the deadwood. Then i really think we'll close a good portion of the gap to the top.

My feeling is it'll be Liverpool and City out in front again, albeit closer next year as whilst deserving winners Liverpool have had a fair bit of luck. Chelsea and Utd won't be too far behind, on paper we're pretty close and by most on field metrics too. We've already added decent signings and i think Utd will do the same.

I can only see Spurs and Arsenal getting cut adrift as they don't seem to have the resources to compete, plus no CL revenue will really bite.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Let's try and secure top 4 and finish off a good transfer window with some defensive reinforcements and a clear out of some of the deadwood. Then i really think we'll close a good portion of the gap to the top.

My feeling is it'll be Liverpool and City out in front again, albeit closer next year as whilst deserving winners Liverpool have had a fair bit of luck. Chelsea and Utd won't be too far behind, on paper we're pretty close and by most on field metrics too. We've already added decent signings and i think Utd will do the same.

I can only see Spurs and Arsenal getting cut adrift as they don't seem to have the resources to compete, plus no CL revenue will really bite.
I just love how this is happening on Lampards watch and a transfer ban. Klopp will get it but if Chelsea get CL football, Lampard would be a shout for manager of the season. I just think he is doing a great job under very difficult circumstances in his first season in the premier league. The club are definitely backing him in the transfer window with Werner and Ziyech.
We'll see how Liverpool come out of the blocks next season. Back to back is difficult, especially if you consider they went hell for leather last season only to finish second. Can they turn it on like that for 3 seasons in a row? Realistically I don't think Chelsea can close the gap on Liverpool but they could reduce the gap substantially if they strengthen the defense in the transfer window. Utd will strengthen but I have a strange feeling City could come good because they won't have CL football.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I just love how this is happening on Lampards watch and a transfer ban. Klopp will get it but if Chelsea get CL football, Lampard would be a shout for manager of the season. I just think he is doing a great job under very difficult circumstances in his first season in the premier league. The club are definitely backing him in the transfer window with Werner and Ziyech.
We'll see how Liverpool come out of the blocks next season. Back to back is difficult, especially if you consider they went hell for leather last season only to finish second. Can they turn it on like that for 3 seasons in a row? Realistically I don't think Chelsea can close the gap on Liverpool but they could reduce the gap substantially if they strengthen the defense in the transfer window. Utd will strengthen but I have a strange feeling City could come good because they won't have CL football.
I have to disagree with MOTY.

As good as Klopp and Frank have done it's got to be Wilder even if Sheffield United completely collapse from here on in, he's got a group of lower league journeyman challenging for Europe at the business end of the season, it's outrageous.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

As good as Klopp and Frank have done it's got to be Wilder even if Sheffield United completely collapse from here on in, he's got a group of lower league journeyman challenging for Europe at the business end of the season, it's outrageous.
Agreed, Would also probably have Nuno ahead as well given the insane schedule Wolves have dealt with.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Exciting prospect ahead next year for us. Think our spending is far from done and we look very capable at times with the current setup. Think with Ziyech, Werner, possibly a top quality LB and who knows what else we can make a good challenge

Be a few off out the door, too

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Exciting prospect ahead next year for us. Think our spending is far from done and we look very capable at times with the current setup. Think with Ziyech, Werner, possibly a top quality LB and who knows what else we can make a good challenge

If we had Havertz plus a defender, we will be expected to at least challenge for the title. We have the potential to close the gap to City, or perhaps overtake them, if we play our cards right.

Same goes for United, with the right additions to an already good team, it could be an exciting time ahead for them too

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
https://www.football-espana.net/2020/06/26/valencia-interested-in-loan-for-chelsea-goalkeeper-kepa

Source is hit or miss but given that Cillessen seems intent on forcing his way out of Valencia this seems a mutually beneficial arrangement for all parties. Onana would be a massive upgrade over Kepa from a Chelsea perspective.
https://www.football-espana.net/2020/06/26/valencia-interested-in-loan-for-chelsea-goalkeeper-kepa

Source is hit or miss but given that Cillessen seems intent on forcing his way out of Valencia this seems a mutually beneficial arrangement for all parties. Onana would be a massive upgrade over Kepa from a Chelsea perspective.
hope so

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

Chelsea need a proper GK and CB before they can challenge.

KennyBurner

I think willian has been the key player for chelsea this season with his directness yet he is a free agent this summer?

zakk88

Supports
Chelsea
I think willian has been the key player for chelsea this season with his directness yet he is a free agent this summer?
Willian is very inconsistent, he has a good game every 5 or so matches.
Pulisic has been the best winger this season despite starting only 13 matches, and he is only 21 so he's only going to get better.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Honestly there are about 5 positions in our squad I'd look to upgrade before looking at Kepa. He's improved ever since coming back into the team. Clean sheets against Liverpool and Everton, crappy defending for the Villa goal after he made a great initial save and KDB's worldy that beats 99.9% of every goalkeeper that's ever goal kept. I'd rather invest that 35mil for Onana in a CB or LB instead of shifting a 70mil 25 yr old Kepa on loan to a cheapskate LaLiga team and probably pay half his salary in addition.

Well unless there is an obligation to buy not less than 60mil clause added in which case I'll be done with it. Then again cheapskates laliga team ain't gonna do that.

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Interesting one this, football at the playing level is one of the places where white privilege is less entrenched. Football at playing level is more meritocratic than most professions, rich people can't just pay to give their kids a good school or college education and get a leg up in football. Anyone can go kick a ball around in a local youth team and if you've got ability, clubs will be sniffing around. You've actually got to be good enough on the pitch, that is what matters. In my experiences coaches in UK football are not racist, they'll play whoever has what they think is the best ability.

At manager level not really sure. Can say Lampard did not get the job because of his dazzling managerial CV..., don't think it's because he's white either though. He got the job because he's a former Chelsea player, club top scorer and a legend, different kind of bias at work and you see it all the time in football at manager level, see also Utd Manager OGS.

Think he might be a bit sensitive about his credentials being questioned..., because obviously just looking at his CV and results only he shouldn't be already managing a top football team. Interesting point would be, would Cole or Drogba for example do any different job to what Lampard has? Hard one to answer.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting one this, football at the playing level is one of the places where white privilege is less entrenched. Football at playing level is more meritocratic than most professions, rich people can't just pay to give their kids a good school or college education and get a leg up in football. Anyone can go kick a ball around in a local youth team and if you've got ability, clubs will be sniffing around. You've actually got to be good enough on the pitch, that is what matters. In my experiences coaches in UK football are not racist, they'll play whoever has what they think is the best ability.

At manager level not really sure. Can say Lampard did not get the job because of his dazzling managerial CV..., don't think it's because he's white either though. He got the job because he's a former Chelsea player, club top scorer and a legend, different kind of bias at work and you see it all the time in football at manager level, see also Utd Manager OGS.

Think he might be a bit sensitive about his credentials being questioned..., because obviously just looking at his CV and results only he shouldn't be already managing a top football team. Interesting point would be, would Cole or Drogba for example do any different job to what Lampard has? Hard one to answer.
Cole was literally still playing football last season. Drogba appears to have far bigger aspirations than being a football manager.

Anyway, Sterling is spot on in the underlying point he is trying to get across, and he's not even necessarily wrong in the examples he cited minus Ashley Cole, who as I said, was still playing professional football last season, managed by Lampard.

But I think Lampard answered the question in as fair manner as possible. No-one is going to react well to being told they haven't earned the right to be in the position they're in. He defended his own personal situation while expressing complete support for the cause Sterling is fighting for. How else was he supposed to answer the question?

TheReligion

Abusive

It was the over sensitivity and flat out denial there's an issue that concerned me. He could have chosen to answer more diplomatically. I mean look at the jobs he, and even more so, Gerrard, have walked into. Then look at Sol Campbell.

It's a question of opportunity.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It was the over sensitivity and flat out denial there's an issue that concerned me. He could have chosen to answer more diplomatically. I mean look at the jobs he, and even more so, Gerrard, have walked into. Then look at Sol Campbell.

It's a question of opportunity.
He didn't deny there was an issue - his point was that there are far too many variables when looking at specific examples. Ashley Cole only retired from playing last summer and is already a coach in Chelsea's academy. Sol Campbell ran for mayor of London after retiring so plainly hasn't been focused on coaching 100%.

Sterling is absolutely correct that there are systemic issues but picking specific examples is silly and Lampard was well within his rights to defend himself.

TheReligion

Abusive
He didn't deny there was an issue - his point was that there are far too many variables when looking at specific examples. Ashley Cole only retired from playing last summer and is already a coach in Chelsea's academy. Sol Campbell ran for mayor of London after retiring so plainly hasn't been focused on coaching 100%.

Sterling is absolutely correct that there are systemic issues but picking specific examples is silly and Lampard was well within his rights to defend himself.
That's the point. He didn't need to defend himself. He just needed to not get emotional about it all.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That's the point. He didn't need to defend himself. He just needed to not get emotional about it all.
How on earth do you figure he was emotional? He acknowledged that there's a broader problem, expressed his admiration for the work Sterling has done in bringing light to these issues, and said that citing these four specific examples didn't make a whole lot of sense.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
How on earth do you figure he was emotional? He acknowledged that there's a broader problem, expressed his admiration for the work Sterling has done in bringing light to these issues, and said that citing these four specific examples didn't make a whole lot of sense.
Lampard did nothing wrong. This is a non-issue.

TheReligion

Abusive
Because he relates the whole thing to himself on an emotional level as opposed to simply acknowledging how it may look and the genuine issue that exists.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Because he relates the whole thing to himself on an emotional level as opposed to simply acknowledging how it may look and the genuine issue that exists.
He was called out specifically by Sterling! Had he not been mentioned by name and said what he did then yes I'd agree. He's entirely within his rights to defend himself and I don't think there's anything wrong with acknowledging the problem, praising Sterling's work, and pointing out that the specific examples cited have several confounding variables.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Honestly there are about 5 positions in our squad I'd look to upgrade before looking at Kepa. He's improved ever since coming back into the team. Clean sheets against Liverpool and Everton, crappy defending for the Villa goal after he made a great initial save and KDB's worldy that beats 99.9% of every goalkeeper that's ever goal kept. I'd rather invest that 35mil for Onana in a CB or LB instead of shifting a 70mil 25 yr old Kepa on loan to a cheapskate LaLiga team and probably pay half his salary in addition.

Well unless there is an obligation to buy not less than 60mil clause added in which case I'll be done with it. Then again cheapskates laliga team ain't gonna do that.
Here is an in-depth analysis on Kepa by a Chelsea supporting website:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/weaint...257561/solving-chelseas-kepa-conundrum-part-1

Essentially, he has been poor throughout his career and their are no examples where you can say look he may get better. When people talk about Liverpool and City going from 4th to Champions/dominance in 2-3 years, the two common things that they did was to replace the clowns they had in goal and get a great CB (VVD/Laporte).

I seriously do not see how Chelsea can challenge when they have a dire funsized GK with no measurable qualities standing between the sticks.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea

Wash your mouth out.

Wilder didn't have transfer ban and they're in free fall now.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Here is an in-depth analysis on Kepa by a Chelsea supporting website:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/weaint...257561/solving-chelseas-kepa-conundrum-part-1

Essentially, he has been poor throughout his career and their are no examples where you can say look he may get better. When people talk about Liverpool and City going from 4th to Champions/dominance in 2-3 years, the two common things that they did was to replace the clowns they had in goal and get a great CB (VVD/Laporte).

I seriously do not see how Chelsea can challenge when they have a dire funsized GK with no measurable qualities standing between the sticks.
Trolling me thinks...?

Or de Gea posting under a different name :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Another game another goal conceded from a set piece.

Derby weak from them last year aswell.

Red Keane

If we had Havertz plus a defender, we will be expected to at least challenge for the title. We have the potential to close the gap to City, or perhaps overtake them, if we play our cards right.
If you get another Goalkeeper & a Top Class CB as well, one could imagine Chelsea making a serious bid for the Premier League title.

I thought it was Valencia that wanted to get rid of Cillessen due to his wages, rather than Cillessen wanting to leave Valencia?

Regardless I feel that Chelsea would be better off keeping Kepa on the bench, mainly because it would be foolish to have a 38 year old Caballero as your 2nd Choice and it would make alot of sense for both Kepa & Onana to fight for the No.1 position.

Honestly there are about 5 positions in our squad I'd look to upgrade before looking at Kepa.
I know Chelsea need another CAM, LB & CB, but what are the other 2 positions?

He's improved ever since coming back into the team. Clean sheets against Liverpool and Everton, crappy defending for the Villa goal after he made a great initial save and KDB's worldy that beats 99.9% of every goalkeeper that's ever goal kept.
I suspect that the main reason why Kepa performed that well was because of the fact he was forced to fight his way back into the 1st Team (After he was dropped for Caballero); so considering that he is the most arrogant Goalkeeper in World Football, so surely it would make sense to sign Onana anyway AND keep Kepa at Chelsea to make sure the latter carries on his good form...