2019/20 Rivals - Spurs | Bergwijn out for the remainder of the season

Member 39557

I predict them to finish top 4 once again if they have a decent summer. If they have a very good transfer window I expect them to finish 3rd. However if they have a bad transfer window which seems very unlikely then I predict them to finish outside top 4. The fatigue would catch up to them.
They lost over a third of their league games last season and still finished 4th. Just shows how bad United and Arsenal were.

Johan07

I can see both holding out till he's available on a free. No way will either pay 80m for a player with a year left on his contract
Real must have screwed with Levy´s mind when they decided to pay 100m plus for Hazard, who is the same age and in the exact same contract situation as Eriksen. OK, Hazard is the better player, but damn did Real overpay there for a player at his age and under those circumstances.
Realistically Spurs gets 50m for Eriksen if he leaves. From Real or Bayern most likely. If the reports of Rabiot to Juve is true, I think they are out. Maybe PSG would take a punt also.
Or Levy pays Eriksen 30--40m in sign-on fee to stay and gives him 250k something in wages.
I am guessing Bayern.

Thiagoal

Anyone else slightly concerned how good they might be next season if they add Ceballos and Ndombele? Midfield was definitely their weakest suit and looks like they're addressing it admirably!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone else slightly concerned how good they might be next season if they add Ceballos and Ndombele? Midfield was definitely their weakest suit and looks like they're addressing it admirably!
While they will no doubt improve with them in midfield I think there problems run a bit deeper. Despite an admirable run to the CL final the team stagnated a lot last season (even when getting the results in the first half of the season they were mainly doing it through tumescent grinds) and can't see them going back to the levels of 15-17 anytime soon.

That said they will probably still be favroites for third given the issues with United, Arsenal and Chelsea but looking at the bigger picture I think they low-key need a rebuild.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets

I think it will take a year for Eriksens replacement be that Lo Celso or Ceballos and Ndombele to adapt their games to the EPL. In the interim they lose the industry and output of Eriksen and their squad will still be thin. Having said that they had a pretty horrendous run with injuries last season. At one point I recall seeing some 18 y/o academy kid Skip or something in midfield with Rose. Simply because they literally had no one else, a LB and an academy youngster as your starting midfielders heh.

Lets be fair they are not catching City or Pool, no-one is, but I feel they are better than Chelsea, especially after losing Hazard and on an xfer ban. And Arsenal who are just sort of stagnating.

Feel we will fight it out with them for 3rd and 4th.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm not concerned about Spurs one little bit.

Assuming Mr Kane remains fit for the majority of the season, Spurs will continue to perform to a distinctly average standard.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Plenty more signings to come is the rumour currently. Poch is finally getting backed by Levy.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Really excited about the upcoming season to be honest, Ndombele the first in with hopefully more to come. It’s like this place resets every summer and we’re stagnating, sure we had a shit run in but we missed Dembele and Kane for that and still made the CL final. On wards and upward in our new home.

While they will no doubt improve with them in midfield I think there problems run a bit deeper. Despite an admirable run to the CL final the team stagnated a lot last season (even when getting the results in the first half of the season they were mainly doing it through tumescent grinds) and can't see them going back to the levels of 15-17 anytime soon.

That said they will probably still be favroites for third given the issues with United, Arsenal and Chelsea but looking at the bigger picture I think they low-key need a rebuild.
Least we can sign some players for our rebuild, the guy that carried you last season is gone :lol:.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I'm not concerned about Spurs one little bit.

Assuming Mr Kane remains fit for the majority of the season, Spurs will continue to perform to a distinctly average standard.
The problem with your prediction is that finishing 4th and reaching the CL final is not distinctly average. Average for a Prem team would be finishing mid-table and not playing in the CL at all.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The problem with your prediction is that finishing 4th and reaching the CL final is not distinctly average. Average for a Prem team would be finishing mid-table and not playing in the CL at all.
So UCL finals are now considered the norm for Spurs are they? :lol:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Of course not but the credit still should be acknowledged, after that season again the general thought is we will take a downturn just like the 3 previous seasons. It’s kinda boring now.
Is anyone saying they'll be a downturn? From what I can see people just doubt you'll push on which is a fair assumption to make given how far off both City and Liverpool you are

M Bison

Supports
York City
Spurs are still a better team than us, their players play for each other and it counts for a lot. Having a 25+ goal-a-season striker and continuity of management is a huge factor.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
And you know full well what @Random Task point was
His point was that "Spurs will continue to perform to a distinctly average standard". To which I've replied, quite fairly, that Spurs performed much better than any average standard last season … as they have for each of the last several seasons.

Average is mid-table and - at best - a run in the EL.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Champions League Final:

------------------------Kane----------------------------
---------Son-----------Alli-----------Eriksen-----------
---------------Winks--------Sissoko-------------------
---Rose----Vertonghen---Alderweireld-----Trippier---
-----------------------Lloris-----------------------------

That was their strongest first 11. With Ndombele coming in you'd think he'd replace Sissoko. Where else do they need to strengthen?

My guess would be signing a RB to challenge/replace Trippier as Aurier is a bit shit. They also need replacements for Eriksen and Alderweireld given their contract situations. They may decide to keep hold of Alderweireld though and just accept he'll be on a free.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Champions League Final:

------------------------Kane----------------------------
---------Son-----------Alli-----------Eriksen-----------
---------------Winks--------Sissoko-------------------
---Rose----Vertonghen---Alderweireld-----Trippier---
-----------------------Lloris-----------------------------

That was their strongest first 11. With Ndombele coming in you'd think he'd replace Sissoko. Where else do they need to strengthen?

My guess would be signing a RB to challenge/replace Trippier as Aurier is a bit shit. They also need replacements for Eriksen and Alderweireld given their contract situations. They may decide to keep hold of Alderweireld though and just accept he'll be on a free.
CM definitely needs some investment. Even with Ndombele I think it’s their weakest area although Wanyama and Dier are possibilities.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Really excited about the upcoming season to be honest, Ndombele the first in with hopefully more to come. It’s like this place resets every summer and we’re stagnating, sure we had a shit run in but we missed Dembele and Kane for that and still made the CL final. On wards and upward in our new home.

Least we can sign some players for our rebuild, the guy that carried you last season is gone :lol:.
It's quite funny how the narrative with opposition fans has changed regarding Hazard.

For years he's apparently been some flashy Charlie that doesn't impact games enough and miles behind Kante (importance wise), now he's gone he was apparently our food, drink and oxygen :lol:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's quite funny how the narrative with opposition fans has changed regarding Hazard.

For years he's apparently been some flashy Charlie that doesn't impact games enough and miles behind Kante (importance wise), now he's gone he was apparently our food, drink and oxygen :lol:
My narrative hasn’t changed, Hazard is quality, just you post his assists and goals from last season and it proves it. I wish we had gotten him.

The Irish Connection

They’ve basically done today, what we needed to have had done weeks ago: top quality midfield addition and talented young right winger .
(I know Jack Clarke is going back to Leeds on loan but he actually already looks better than what we have there.)
Will we even sign a right winger?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Great question. Don't think we've been linked to many right wingers at all, so currently not much smoke. Personally, I don't think we will because we should be all over Pepe if we were and given Matas contract was extended seems more likely we'll stick with Lingard and Mata with the hope we get Top 4 and can go after Sancho.

It's a huge error naturally as we should be going for a first team right winger so our right side can be functional again. Small steps I guess.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Is that really how most opposition fans viewed him? I've never noticed that. For most people he's been in the top 3 players in the league pretty consistently for years now. One of the few players in the league who can win a game on his own.

passing-wind

Spurs and Juventus have essentially signed / signing players which would cure many of our weaknesses in the first 11. I still think Tottenham are slightly off winning the league not really anything wrong with the team / manager but more to do with the high standard Klopp and Pep have set in the league. They are on a mind bogglingly higher level which is ridiculous to comprehend.

If this current Tottenham side were to play in any other recent league era they would most likely have had a league title by now which is huge considering they've always been a competitive club as opposed to challenging for honours.

The best thing the club can do is retain Poch for the next five years because he is the sole reason they have bridged the mid table / top 3 gap. Got alot of respect for Spurs however, they have not been sugarcoated financially it's taken a proper football infrastructure for them to have progressed.

We might be a bigger club than spurs historically but it's the likes of them and city where we have to observe and implement changes around the hierarchy to substantiate a foundation to build success. We have been surpassed even by Liverpool when it comes to these areas. It's embarrassing.

Stubble

They’ve basically done today, what we needed to have had done weeks ago: top quality midfield addition and talented young right winger .
(I know Jack Clarke is going back to Leeds on loan but he actually already looks better than what we have there.)
Yes agree with this - in the meantime we have signed another potential LEFT winger (how many do we need?) - yes MAYBE he can play on the right but i remember a similar conversation when we bought Sanchez and remember how that turned out. If it doesn't work we have a good choice of Sanchez, Martial, Rashford and James for left wing and non-wingers Mata and Lingard for the right - Sheesh ! i.e. a potential re-run of last season. Maybe Greenwood could be a solution here...
Midfield is a big issue for us (the biggest now i think) and i'm concerned with the absence of credible stories linking us to players that would immediately improve the situation. Longstaff doesn't sound like an immediate starter (though a good purchase as one for the future) and the Bruno stories have gone off the boil. We really must improve this area with probably 2 quality signings or we'll not be at the races yet again next season. If Pogba goes or stays and sulks we'll be really buggered.
At least we have properly solved the right back issue.. be thankful for small mercies i guess.

Last edited:

OleGunnar20

Yes agree with this - in the meantime we have signed another potential LEFT winger (how many do we need?) - yes MAYBE he can play on the right but i remember a similar conversation when we bought Sanchez and remember how that turned out. If it doesn't work we have a good choice of Sanchez, Martial, Rashford and James for left wing and non-wingers Mata and Lingard for the right - Sheesh ! i.e. a potential re-run of last season.
Midfield is a big issue for us and i'm concerned with the absence of credible stories linking us to players that would immediately improve the situation. Longstaff doesn't sound like an immediate starter (though a good purchase as one for the future) and the Bruno stories have gone off the boil. We really must improve this area with probably 2 quality signings or we'll not be at the races yet again next season.
At least we have properly solved the right back issue.. be thankful for small mercies i guess.
Agree with all of this.

I just can't believe that we'd be naive enough to ignore RW yet again, there must be a plan behind the scenes beyond sticking with Mata & (god forbid) Lingard.

I'm guessing that Ole sees one or two of Dalot / James / Chong / Greenwood as viable options there, with the likes of Sancho / Pepe / Dembele being unobtainable this summer and the former pegged as a key target next year.

As much as I like the potential there, and rate all of them highly (maybe barring Chong), for me this would be a massive, possibly season defining mistake. We should be getting a Brooks or Lozano type, someone who can come in and contribute from the get go and not throw their toys out of the pram if Sancho arrives next season.

Either way, I trust Ole has a plan beyond relying on the same old failed options.

Midfield is a whole other kettle if fish. We're such a mess there at the moment, and theres so little encouraging smoke coming out regarding targets, I wonder if Ole is happy with what we've got plus Longstsff.

Maybe McTom / Garner & Gomes have what it takes to step up? Maybe Fred can kick on & Matic can rediscover the use of his legs? Feels very risky, but hey we can't have it all I guess.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Is that really how most opposition fans viewed him? I've never noticed that. For most people he's been in the top 3 players in the league pretty consistently for years now. One of the few players in the league who can win a game on his own.
If i got £1 for everytime i had to argue against football fans (including some fans of Chelsea) that thought he was inconsistent, disappears a lot or can't be top tier because he doesn't hit the 30 plus per season in goal numbers i'd be able to take monthly holidays to Australia flying first class, at times it got ridiculous.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If i got £1 for everytime i had to argue against football fans (including some fans of Chelsea) that thought he was inconsistent, disappears a lot or can't be top tier because he doesn't hit the 30 plus per season in goal numbers i'd be able to take monthly holidays to Australia flying first class, at times it got ridiculous.
Probably just envy. I've been envious ever since he chose you lot over us. Now I only envy you of Kante and Rudiger.

The Irish Connection

Great question. Don't think we've been linked to many right wingers at all, so currently not much smoke. Personally, I don't think we will because we should be all over Pepe if we were and given Matas contract was extended seems more likely we'll stick with Lingard and Mata with the hope we get Top 4 and can go after Sancho.

It's a huge error naturally as we should be going for a first team right winger so our right side can be functional again. Small steps I guess.
Yeah. Ridiculous. There are at least 5 very competent right wingers reasonably available that I can think of off the top of my head. We’ll see how the rest of the window pans out but not looking good so far.

The Irish Connection

Yes agree with this - in the meantime we have signed another potential LEFT winger (how many do we need?) - yes MAYBE he can play on the right but i remember a similar conversation when we bought Sanchez and remember how that turned out. If it doesn't work we have a good choice of Sanchez, Martial, Rashford and James for left wing and non-wingers Mata and Lingard for the right - Sheesh ! i.e. a potential re-run of last season. Maybe Greenwood could be a solution here...
Midfield is a big issue for us (the biggest now i think) and i'm concerned with the absence of credible stories linking us to players that would immediately improve the situation. Longstaff doesn't sound like an immediate starter (though a good purchase as one for the future) and the Bruno stories have gone off the boil. We really must improve this area with probably 2 quality signings or we'll not be at the races yet again next season. If Pogba goes or stays and sulks we'll be really buggered.
You’re dead right with everything. Honestly, Greenwood is the only hope I have for next season, I’m hoping he can fulfill the potential quickly.
And, the way we have been for 10 years in the transfer market, I would be delighted with Longstaff because he would be better than no one for defensive mid and probably better than Matic at this stage.
Let’s see how it goes over the next few weeks, ole will have no chance if we don’t have a good transfer window.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The right move for splashing money on Ndombele imo. They need Dembele’s replacement and I think they got one who has similar style.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Some quotes from Ndombele, they suggest we weren't the only club in for him as some think.

Ndombele on Tottenham: "It's a carefully thought-out decision. Tottenham have one of the best coaches in the world. The fact that he wants you really makes you want to work with him. It's he who tipped the balance in my decision."

Ndombele on Pochettino persuasion: "It's hard to describe but he knows how to touch, to mark people. He looked me in the eye and said "come with me and I'm sure I'll help you progress". That kind of thing made me want to sign. I saw that he really wanted and liked me."

Last edited:

Bestietom

Spurs have brought in a top midfielder in Ndombele and they are not finished yet. They will be a big rival this coming season.

Bwuk

They are better than us and again will finish above us.
Yep.

Look at the squad we’ve took on tour. We’d get maybe 3, 4 at a push players in there side.

Embarrassing state of affairs.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Some quotes from Ndombele, they suggest we weren't the only club in for him as some think.

Ndombele on Tottenham: "It's a carefully thought-out decision. Tottenham have one of the best coaches in the world. The fact that he wants you really makes you want to work with him. It's he who tipped the balance in my decision."

Ndombele on Pochettino persuasion: "It's hard to describe but he knows how to touch, to mark people. He looked me in the eye and said "come with me and I'm sure I'll help you progress". That kind of thing made me want to sign. I saw that he really wanted and liked me."
Pochettino is a big attraction for lots of players - we're lucky to have him.

red4ever 79

Are Spurs going to keep Tierney this summer? I saw he was linked with a move away. Also are they looking to get a back up for Kane? Cant help but feel he misses more games with his ankle than he used to.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think they will at least consolidate their position as the third best team and maybe even challenge the top two. Could become a three horse race. Then a gap to 4th and beyond.