2019/20 Rivals - Spurs | Bergwijn out for the remainder of the season

Irwin99

Just seen the goals. So many errors. Their full backs always look like are going to do something stupid every time I watch them.

Cloud7

This is like a textbook example of things going on one season too long and turning sour

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
They have been offered improved contracts, its their choice that they are still on the salary they are. They are still at Spurs because no other club has even made a bid for them, please tell me who Levy has refused to sell them to? They are choosing to leave on a free for a massive contract. So I disagree with everything you are saying as you clearly have no clue what you are talking about.
If what you say is true, then it means that the players A) dont want to be at Spurs and B) aren't that good because nobody else wants them. If this is the case, then you bench them and bring in replacements.

No matter what narrative you want to spin, it was clear when Eriksen and Alderweireld decided not to extend their contracts that some sort of action needed to be taken. Keeping unhappy players in the starting eleven was always a recipe for disaster.

When a club stops evolving, it will go stale pretty quickly. When Tottenham's key players refused extensions, and the club went a whole year without bringing in new players despite having holes in the squad, it was pretty obvious that something like this would happen.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Because £25 million for Toby is a bargain in anyone’s book, pay the fee garbage the player or wait and compete for the player with other clubs? Why would any club want a chairman that allows himself to be rodgered by agents, other clubs and players?

Your point is the players are still at the club because no one wanted to deal with Levy, now your agreeing with me initially when I said the players wanted to go on a free????
English isn't my first language, so maybe I'm not explaining myself well. Here's what I'm trying to say. The players want to leave Tottenham, that much we know. Levy wants to sell the players in question because otherwise he loses them for nothing a year later, that's his logic. Other clubs may have wanted to get the players for a small fee given their contractual situation but preferred to wait a year and get them for nothing instead of trying to negotiating a fee with Levy, a notoriously difficult man to deal with in the transfer business. As for your point about competing with other clubs for a free agent, if the clubs are interested, they'll be competing for the player even with a year left on the contract, only in that case they'll have to go into a bidding war, which is what Levi wants, but they're clearly not interested in. So they just walk away, Levi gets to keep the player for another season, while the other clubs save the money on a potential transfer fee.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Spurs fans calling for his head are out of order.
He should walk before he is pushed.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If what you say is true, then it means that the players A) dont want to be at Spurs and B) aren't that good because nobody else wants them. If this is the case, then you bench them and bring in replacements.

No matter what narrative you want to spin, it was clear when Eriksen and Alderweireld decided not to extend their contracts that some sort of action needed to be taken. Keeping unhappy players in the starting eleven was always a recipe for disaster.

When a club stops evolving, it will go stale pretty quickly. When Tottenham's key players refused extensions, and the club went a whole year without bringing in new players despite having holes in the squad, it was pretty obvious that something like this would happen.
Eriksen all the way through this indicated he would sign a new deal, Toby's replacement was bought, there isn't much you can do about that. I would say we will see more and more if this as players see themselves getting sold for massive amounts and then looking at Ramsey and thinking, "I want some of that".

romufc

Jesus. Absolute humiliation. Leaking 7 goals at home to Bayern who aren't exactly flying.

Something majorly wrong at the club it seems. What the hell.
Bayern are actually doing well this season.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Spurs fans calling for his head are out of order.
He should walk before he is pushed.
It is incredibly ironic that other fans of clubs who have turned their back on managers quicker than even a full season suddenly all come out up in arms because Spurs fans feel they need a change after a full years worth of utter dirge performances.

We can't win can we - in many posts here I've read Utd fans claiming that Spurs fans are not winners because we would obviously put up with not winning stuff because 'it's not a big club' yet the same people shout at us for not backing the manager when we are unhappy at not winning stuff.

Adisa

It is incredibly ironic that other fans of clubs who have turned their back on managers quicker than even a full season suddenly all come out up in arms because Spurs fans feel they need a change after a full years worth of utter dirge performances.

We can't win can we - in many posts here I've read Utd fans claiming that Spurs fans are not winners because we would obviously put up with not winning stuff because 'it's not a big club' yet the same people shout at us for not backing the manager when we are unhappy at not winning stuff.
Which manager at United since Fergie has achieved anything close to Pochettino? I also haven't called for Ole's head.
He has made Spurs consistent top four contenders. He can be excused a bad 12 months.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Good point this

I think probably Howe would take it, but what established manager would be willing to come work under such austerity?
No way should we be looking at Howe - we need a PROVEN manager with experience who has a track record of success. Howe may be a decent manager but he is a low-mid table manager and I've honestly no clue why people think he would be a success at Spurs. It would be a backwards step.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Which manager at United since Fergie has achieved anything close to Pochettino? I also haven't called for Ole's head.
He has made Spurs consistent top four contenders. He can be excused a bad 12 months.
Jose did more at Utd than Poch has at Spurs - in terms of results anyway (got Utd to a higher finish in the league than Poch ever has and also won a trophy)- Poch has done a great job at transforming the squad and managing the transition from WHL to the new stadium - the bottom line is that we have had a team good enough to win something, we have not done it. Don't get me wrong - I love Poch and I respect him a lot BUT I think he is finished at Spurs now, he has taken the club as far as he can and we need a change.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Bayern are actually doing well this season.
That's really stretching it. Our league performances have been very mixed, just last weekend we conceded two goals against newly promoted Paderborn and only narrowly won with 3-2. Already the opening game of the season exposed our tendency to leak goals if the opponent just goes for it. Same thing was still visible in the first half vs Spurs yesterday. We just had a ridiculous day of finishing, converting all sorts of outrageous goals from not even very good chances.

Adisa

Jose did more at Utd than Poch has at Spurs - in terms of results anyway (got Utd to a higher finish in the league than Poch ever has and also won a trophy)- Poch has done a great job at transforming the squad and managing the transition from WHL to the new stadium - the bottom line is that we have had a team good enough to win something, we have not done it. Don't get me wrong - I love Poch and I respect him a lot BUT I think he is finished at Spurs now, he has taken the club as far as he can and we need a change.
Your club did not give him a single player for three windows at a stretch. You guys left him hanging. I think he should go on his own accord but questions need to be asked of the club. He has earned the right to turn things around.
Also, Jose did not do more for us.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Your club did not give him a single player for three windows at a stretch. You guys left him hanging. I think he should go on his own accord but questions need to be asked of the club. He has earned the right to turn things around.
I agree that it is not just Poch that is the issue - Levy is a massive part of the problem and unfortunately he will continue to be a problem long after Poch has gone. He may have earned the right to turn things around, the problem is that I no longer believe he is capable of doing it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Just seen the goals. So many errors. Their full backs always look like are going to do something stupid every time I watch them.
We have needed new full-backs for at least 2 years. It's a complete joke that we have not sorted it.

Adisa

We have needed new full-backs for at least 2 years. It's a complete joke that we have not sorted it.
Part of the point I am making. Apart from the midfield that got investment cause it fell of a cliff, the rest of the team has been virtually the same for 4/5. At some point in the cycle, there's little a manager can do to prevent the team getting stale.

romufc

That's really stretching it. Our league performances have been very mixed, just last weekend we conceded two goals against newly promoted Paderborn and only narrowly won with 3-2. Already the opening game of the season exposed our tendency to leak goals if the opponent just goes for it. Same thing was still visible in the first half vs Spurs yesterday. We just had a ridiculous day of finishing, converting all sorts of outrageous goals from not even very good chances.
Kovac has managed to freshen up the squad, as long as you keep winning in the league and the new CB pairing will get better and probably looking at a strong Bayern come Jan/ Feb?

What do you think of Coutinho compared to James?

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal

He's your greatest ever manager who's taken you to your only ever CL final only a few months ago. You won't get a manager as good ever again. It would be short sighted to not give him time to re-build, especially when he's received such little investment in the past few seasons anyway.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He's your greatest ever manager who's taken you to your only ever CL final only a few months ago. You won't get a manager as good ever again. It would be short sighted to not give him time to re-build, especially when he's received such little investment in the past few seasons anyway.
He is not our greatest ever manager. He is certainly one of the best we have had in the last 30 years but you forget we had a manager who won the double and another who won the UEFA cup - Poch has won the square root of feck all as much as I love him.

You lot hung on to Wenger for many years too long and look what it's done to your club - you are seriously advocating the same for us?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We, United fans, have totally wrong perception about managers time in one club. Fergie was anomaly in world of football. Giggs, Neville and Scholes also were anomalies as players.
Most of managers( and players but it is another story) have natural cycle in one club. Sometimes they hit peak in second season like Mourinho, sometimes they have instant impact in first season and then things go down and in most of cases it is 3 or 4 seasons. After 4th season they need to rebuild, replace players, find motivation for them and for the players, etc... after some period it is just time to move on. Poch peaked last year. He needs a new challenge, players need new coach, new regime, new goals. It is just life in world of football.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Kovac has managed to freshen up the squad, as long as you keep winning in the league and the new CB pairing will get better and probably looking at a strong Bayern come Jan/ Feb?

What do you think of Coutinho compared to James?
Hard to say. That's one of the things with Kovac, we don't seem to make real progress with a clear system, we just sometimes play good and then again we don't, all very much down to individual performances.

Coutinho has done well enough so far, with nice contributions to our attacking and finishing. James never really got a chance under Kovac, or maybe just didn't turn up for the new manager. At his best under Jupp Heynckes, he was a complete midfield beast, as good defensively as in attack.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Jesus wept are you fecking 12? Try inserting in PL history maybe.

romufc

Hard to say. That's one of the things with Kovac, we don't seem to make real progress with a clear system, we just sometimes play good and then again we don't, all very much down to individual performances.

Coutinho has done well enough so far, with nice contributions to our attacking and finishing. James never really got a chance under Kovac, or maybe just didn't turn up for the new manager. At his best under Jupp Heynckes, he was a complete midfield beast, as good defensively as in attack.
I think that is the theme with quite alot of teams at the moment. Klopp and Pep have taken style and consistency to another level and it seems other managers around are struggling to keep up with that.

Another below par Champions League campaign and I fear he is gone. Maybe Bayern will try go for Klopp?

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
He is not our greatest ever manager. He is certainly one of the best we have had in the last 30 years but you forget we had a manager who won the double and another who won the UEFA cup - Poch has won the square root of feck all as much as I love him.

You lot hung on to Wenger for many years too long and look what it's done to your club - you are seriously advocating the same for us?
I didn't forget, I just wasn't born yet ;)

What's your future if you sack him, who do you employ? Because that's key whether you can upgrade or if you get a vast downgrade. Think about the money you've spent compared to other clubs

As for Wenger, he'd have done more with this squad than Emery has. Should we have replaced Wenger with Klopp? Yes. Did we need a director of football in earlier and Gazidis and his StatDNA to never get a job at the club, yes. But Arsenal haven't improved from replacing Wenger with Emery, many of us feel we've regressed in our playing style.Emery has had over 200m in investment in 2 seasons and he's had us playing worse football.

Jesus wept are you fecking 12? Try inserting in PL history maybe.
I'm 39, he's easily the best in my lifetime. Football has moved on since the 60s and I'd consider him as tactician and manager greater than your managers who won silverwear for you because they wouldn't have done more than Poch in this league with Spurs level of investment.

We, United fans, have totally wrong perception about managers time in one club. Fergie was anomaly in world of football. Giggs, Neville and Scholes also were anomalies as players.
Most of managers( and players but it is another story) have natural cycle in one club. Sometimes they hit peak in second season like Mourinho, sometimes they have instant impact in first season and then things go down and in most of cases it is 3 or 4 seasons. After 4th season they need to rebuild, replace players, find motivation for them and for the players, etc... after some period it is just time to move on. Poch peaked last year. He needs a new challenge, players need new coach, new regime, new goals. It is just life in world of football.
Ahh but some of your fans thought this from 04-06 about Fergie and ofcourse there's the famous banner in the 80s.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I think that is the theme with quite alot of teams at the moment. Klopp and Pep have taken style and consistency to another level and it seems other managers around are struggling to keep up with that.
As a team previously managed by Pep, it's all the more obvious.

Another below par Champions League campaign and I fear he is gone. Maybe Bayern will try go for Klopp?
I'm sure if there is the slightest chance, we will try it. But our board will undergo some drastic changes over the next two years, so who knows.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I didn't forget, I just wasn't born yet ;)

What's your future if you sack him, who do you employ? Because that's key whether you can upgrade or if you get a vast downgrade. Think about the money you've spent compared to other clubs

As for Wenger, he'd have done more with this squad than Emery has. Should we have replaced Wenger with Klopp? Yes. Did we need a director of football in earlier and Gazidis and his StatDNA to never get a job at the club, yes. But Arsenal haven't improved from replacing Wenger with Emery, many of us feel we've regressed in our playing style.Emery has had over 200m in investment in 2 seasons and he's had us playing worse football.

I'm 39, he's easily the best in my lifetime. Football has moved on since the 60s and I'd consider him as tactician and manager greater than your managers who won silverwear for you because they wouldn't have done more than Poch in this league with Spurs level of investment.

Ahh but some of your fans thought this from 04-06 about Fergie and ofcourse there's the famous banner in the 80s.
You have an incredibly "different" way of looking at football. He's a tactician? Really? All those different tactics he has, yeah he's truly amazing.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Hey now, he might win you a trophy in his first 2 seasons! Just have to gauge whether you'd think it's worth total destruction for a trophy or two :D
That's my argument exactly, he could very well win something but the cost of his ego/demands/personality I fear could be very damaging going forward.

Judas

Open to offers
I honestly think Jose could do great things with that Spurs squad, he'd without a doubt win trophies there. It would end like it always does with him though, but hey the trophy cabinet wouldn't be empty at last.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I honestly think Jose could do great things with that Spurs squad, he'd without a doubt win trophies there. It would end like it always does with him though, but hey the trophy cabinet wouldn't be empty at last.
It would take a massive, change in ego and spending expectations.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Christ, no - don't invite the Prince of Darkness over the threshold.

U99ted

Jose did more at Utd than Poch has at Spurs - in terms of results anyway (got Utd to a higher finish in the league than Poch ever has and also won a trophy)
Spurs were 2nd to Chelsea in 16/17, with 86 points.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Is there really any guarantee of that these days? Wouldn't surprise me one iota if Jose went to Spurs and won nothing. Yes he's won trophy's at every club so far but he also won the league every second season until he went to United, records are there to be broken.