2019/20 Rivals - Spurs | Bergwijn out for the remainder of the season

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
If he signs a contract it will likely have a set release clause so we probably would have him until next summer - which would suit us (we get more money) and the player - I'm fine with it as long as he doesn't let his head drop and gives his all for us while he is here.
As long as a club he wants to leave for come in for him. Doesn't look like Madrid will do it as long as they can get Pogba, Barcelona? PSG? Juventus? I agree that it's most likely that he will leave, but I wouldn't rule out a situation where he stays if the club performs well in the league and CL and he doesn't get a good offer from a club he wants.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Spurs probably go back in for Dybala in Jan if Eriksen goes to RM and Dybala is still itching for a move.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
An intresting piece on GLC and his links with Poch, cannot wait to see this guy in action.

https://www.givemesport.com/1497220...ams-new-signing-and-what-makes-him-so-special

Football in South America, more than anywhere else in the world, is shrouded in myth and fable. It is a rich tapestry of hearsay and folklore; a sport discussed more in the vernacular of the supernatural than analysed as a science.

And embroidered into that story are numerous mystical figures, ascribed abilities that cannot necessarily be explained using reason or logic.

Jorge Griffa, though not widely known outside Argentina, is one such character. And before we get to what exactly this has to do with new Tottenham signing Giovani Lo Celso and his manager Mauricio Pochettino, please do bear with me.

A defender during his playing career, Griffa spent a decade with Atlético Madrid after making his name at Rosario-based club Newell’s Old Boys. He was hugely successful in Spain, winning the Cup Winners’ Cup in 1962, La Liga in 1966, as well as three Copa Del Reys.

Yet the legend of Griffa is built not around what he did on the pitch. After hanging up his boots, he returned to Newell’s Old Boys to become a youth coach. And it is from there that his myth has grown.

Under his watch, La Lepra’s production line did not stop churning out excellent footballers. Through came Jorge Valdano, Américo Gallego, Gabriel Batistuta, Gerardo Martino, Maxi Rodríguez, Walter Samuel and Gabriel Heinze, among many others.

Then Griffa moved to Boca Juniors and the magic kept happening. Nicolás Burdisso, Éver Banega, Fernando Gago and Carlos Tévez were moulded in his hands.

After returning to Rosario, it was he who knocked on the door of the Messi household to convince young Lionel’s parents that their son should sign for Newell’s.

Jorge Griffa has an eye for talent.

And this season, that eye will be firmly fixed on the white half of north London. For there, he will find two more of his own. One in the dugout and, with the arrival of Giovani Lo Celso, another on the pitch.

The story of how Mauricio Pochettino was discovered has been much repeated since Marcelo Bielsa arrived at Leeds a year ago, always with Bielsa as the protagonist.

For those who have not heard it: on a scouting mission and the Argentine countryside, Bielsa and another Newell’s coach turned up at a 14-year-old Pochettino’s house at 2 a.m. asking Mr. and Mrs. Pochettino to see their son.

They were taken to cast their eyes over the sleeping Mauricio and, after one look at his legs, the coaches decided that he was a future star and took him to Newell’s.

The man with Bielsa that night? Griffa, of course.

Two decades later, with Griffa having given his name to his own youth football club in Rosario – the Asociación Atlética Jorge Griffa – the same man found another player to add to the glittering list.

A left-footed midfielder with wonderful balance and a silky first touch, it was clear, just like it had been with Pochettino, that the boy they called ‘Monito’ – ‘little monkey’, a nickname bestowed upon him by his father Juan – had something special.

After two years with Griffa’s academy side, Lo Celso was ready to sign for a big local club. Unlike Pochettino, though, Lo Celso did not go to Griffa’s beloved Newell’s. He was a fan of their bitter rivals, Rosario Central, and he followed his dream to play in their yellow and blue strip.

He went on to make his debut for El Canalla five years later and within a few months been bestowed the title of the “ruby of Argentine football” by the influential El Gráfico magazine. Inside a year, he had been whisked off to Paris Saint-Germain.

Despite the pair falling on either side of their city’s club divide, Pochettino has long seen Lo Celso as a central part of Tottenham’s future and, according to reports from Argentina, his decision to remain as Spurs manager this summer rested on Daniel Levy signing the 23-year-old.

Now, the men from Rosario have been reunited in north London and are seeking to push Tottenham on to new heights this term.

A quick look at what Lo Celso did in the summer, when he joined up with Argentina for the Copa América, shows us why, beyond the obvious bond of their respective pasts, Pochettino was so determined to get his man.

As mentioned, the young Argentine international has excellent technique. He is happy to receive the ball under pressure, he’s a dynamic dribbler and likes to drive the team forward with quick one-twos. He can press hard when his side is out of possession, too.

To add to all that – and crucial to the desire to sign him – Lo Celso is versatile. Over seven games with La Albiceleste, six at the Copa and one warm-up friendly, he played three different roles.

In the 5-0 win over Nicaragua and 2-0 defeat to Colombia, he played on the right of a midfield four. In the 1-1 draw with Paraguay, he came into the central pairing. In the rest of the games, head coach Lionel Scaloni deployed him on the left of a midfield diamond.

He did not start in the quarter or semi-finals, making way for the superior lung power of Marcos Acuña. But in both games, he came on around the 65-minute mark, looking to use his skill and vision to exploit the spaces that open up late on. Against Venezuela in the quarter-final, he scored. And his introduction against Brazil drastically improved the movement of the ball through the central areas.

For the third-place playoff against Chile, Lo Celso was reintroduced to the first team – suggesting Scaloni sees him as part of the long-term solution for an Argentina side that has struggled in recent years – and he provided an assist for Paulo Dybala’s goal.

For Real Betis last season, he showed yet more flexibility, mostly playing off the striker in Quique Setien’s 3-4-2-1 system and sometimes even filling in at No.9. With this extra freedom, he notched an impressive 16 goals and 6 assists in 45 games.

Griffa clearly versed Lo Celso in tactical awareness just as well as he did Pochettino.

According to Lo Celso himself, he is happy to be deployed in whatever way the coach sees fit. “I have always remained humble in order to grow,” he told Spanish paper AS last year.

“I intend to maintain that trajectory because it is inculcated in me. It is my family that gave me this. One of the things they told me was to always have my feet on the ground.”

Towards the end of last season, Pochettino increasingly sent out his team with a midfield diamond, in addition to employing the 3-man defence and 4-2-3-1 formations he has always used at Spurs.

Lo Celso, then, is not a direct replacement for Christian Eriksen – nobody could replicate the prolific chance creation of the Dane. Instead, he is part of a new era; Pochettino’s Tottenham 3.0.

Just a word of warning to the Tottenham players, coaches and staff: don’t get caught between Lo Celso and Pochettino on the morning of Monday September 16. Rosario will have played Newell’s the evening before and whoever wins will be sure to make the other side suffer.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Spurs probably go back in for Dybala in Jan if Eriksen goes to RM and Dybala is still itching for a move.
Really hoping we can go back in for him. I'm paying close attention to this PSG Neymar saga as I think that domino has to fall before PSG can start looking at Dybala. Haven't really seen anyone else going in for Dybala other than rumours that Bayern were interested years ago.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

obviously mind games, but I don’t know how far from the truth this is mainly due to pochettino. Obviously, they don’t have the second best squad in the world but they do have one of it not the best manager.

How far Spurs has come because of pochettino. I remember sir Alex use to mock Spurs with the infamous “lads it Spurs” line. But now with Pochettino, one of the best manager in the world thinks Spurs are the second best team. That would have been unimaginable to consider without pochettino.

Took a point at the Eithad. Let’s see how many other teams accomplish that this season without few of their star players missing and with a fully strengthen Manchester city side.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Most one sided game I can remember Spurs playing in the PL in a long time. I have no idea how it ended with a point for us, but terrific result.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

obviously mind games, but I don’t know how far from the truth this is mainly due to pochettino. Obviously, they don’t have the second best squad in the world but they do have one of it not the best manager.

How far Spurs has come because of pochettino. I remember sir Alex use to mock Spurs with the infamous “lads it Spurs” line. But now with Pochettino, one of the best manager in the world thinks Spurs are the second best team. That would have been unimaginable to consider without pochettino.

Took a point at the Eithad. Let’s see how many other teams accomplish that this season without few of their star players missing and with a fully strengthen Manchester city side.
I mean, you're like the Spursiest Spurs fan in the history of Spurs fans, yet you claim to be a United fan. And a Pochettino fan.

What kind of upfeckery is this?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I know they got an excellent point today but they are very much in the top 4 dogfight with Arsenal/Chelsea/United.

They are such a shadow of what they were in 2017 at which point i genuinely thought it was a matter of time till they became Champions.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

You concede that it's mind games from Guardiola but then go on to say he actually thinks we're the second best team in Europe. He doesn't, it's just Guardiola chatting absolute wham. He doesn't think Foden is the best talent he's ever worked with either.

We were beyond stupidly lucky today, like one in a thousand games lucky. Result is obviously great but none of our fans should be under any illusion that the team deserve all that much credit bar a couple of them. We got played with from start to finish, it was painful as a fan to watch City attack after City attack as our players just retreated further and further. Not exactly a game to praise Pochettino for, since tactically we were a totally mess, he made a good sub in Lucas but that's about it.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I know they got an excellent point today but they are very much in the top 4 dogfight with Arsenal/Chelsea/United.

They are such a shadow of what they were in 2017 at which point i genuinely thought it was a matter of time till they became Champions.
Ok so Ndombele is still getting used to the league, Lo Celso is yet to be bedded in, Son is suspended, Alli is out, Vertonghen was still not fully fit.

We won't be in any dogfight for 4th if we play to the potential in the squad. Today was a shitty performance but City played phenomenally well and we saw last season what they can do to teams on their day, remember the 6-0? I'm sure as shit you do. When they put it together they play football beyond anybody else in the league, we don't have to be nearly as good as them to be better than the other top four contenders.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You concede that it's mind games from Guardiola but then go on to say he actually thinks we're the second best team in Europe. He doesn't, it's just Guardiola chatting absolute wham. He doesn't think Foden is the best talent he's ever worked with either.
Did he actually say best talent or best talent at that age?

If it's the latter then that's probably true as he didn't work with any of those famous Barca players as teenagers. The only other players of note i can recall him working while Foden's age are Kimmich and Thiago Alcantara.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Did he actually say best talent or best talent at that age?

If it's the latter then that's probably true as he didn't work with any of those famous Barca players as teenagers. The only other players of note i can recall him working while Foden's age are Kimmich and Thiago Alcantara.
'Phil is the most, most talented player I have ever seen in my career as a manager'. Nothing about age groups was mentioned.

He's like every top manager .. occasionally they chat shit to the press.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Ok so Ndombele is still getting used to the league, Lo Celso is yet to be bedded in, Son is suspended, Alli is out, Vertonghen was still not fully fit.

We won't be in any dogfight for 4th if we play to the potential in the squad. Today was a shitty performance but City played phenomenally well and we saw last season what they can do to teams on their day, remember the 6-0? I'm sure as shit you do. When they put it together they play football beyond anybody else in the league, we don't have to be nearly as good as them to be better than the other top four contenders.
Big if, only times you played to your squad's potential last season was when you beat us, Dortmund and stuffed Everton at Goodison (maybe 1 or 2 others but certainly not many), i actually said around about January that results will start catching up with you and they did.

I actually think Ndombele's signing of the summer but it goes beyond that, for the most part you lack the coesion in attack and especially defense that you had circa 15-17.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
We were crap today, but we usually start the season slowly, and we have a number of players out/yet to be accustomed to the team.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Big if, only times you played to your squad's potential last season was when you beat us, Dortmund and stuffed Everton at Goodison (maybe 1 or 2 others but certainly not many), i actually said around about January that results will start catching up with you and they did.

I actually think Ndombele's signing of the summer but it goes beyond that, for the most part you lack the coesion in attack and especially defense that you had circa 15-17.
Dele Alli scored double digits in the league in 16/17. That was probably his best season so far. Spurs need him to get back to that level.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

And we still reached a CL final, knocking out Dortmund, Manchester City and a fantastic Ajax team in the process.

We fell apart a bit in the league last season but we've strengthened our weakest area with Ndombele and Lo Celso coming in, and hopefully won't suffer the same ridiculous injury issues which plagued us all of last season.

Maybe we won't be as good as we were in 16/17 (I agree that was our best, most complete side) but again, we won't need to be in order to avoid a top 4 battle.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

They are taking it very slow and careful but this summer I thought they have done some good business in this transfer window. They are able to replacing Dembele with Ndombele (basically upgrade their midfield last season). Add more creativity player Lo Celso & sign Sessegnon. I’ll be very confident that they can make it to title challenger if they can sign a holding mid & a right back. But Walker Peters might work out for their right back option, good on Pochettino for putting faith in him.

Overall they have good squad to actually make it to title challenger this season.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I mean, you're like the Spursiest Spurs fan in the history of Spurs fans, yet you claim to be a United fan. And a Pochettino fan.

What kind of upfeckery is this?
I don’t get why any fans can’t praise the work of another manager from a rival team. Even though, I m a United fan, I am still in complete awe at the work pochettino has done at Spurs with the limited resource he has.

We were beyond stupidly lucky today, like one in a thousand games lucky. Result is obviously great but none of our fans should be under any illusion that the team deserve all that much credit bar a couple of them. We got played with from start to finish, it was painful as a fan to watch City attack after City attack as our players just retreated further and further. Not exactly a game to praise Pochettino for, since tactically we were a totally mess, he made a good sub in Lucas but that's about it.
I believe there is some truth to what Pep says. He is using Spurs accomplishments in the champions league last season as a foundation for that statement. However, Pep knows that in terms of player quality, Spurs are far behind the elite teams in Europe. However, they are managed properly as such, Spurs is a strong team in his eyes.

I would not say you were beyond stupid lucky, but rather Man City was just that good. Spurs was organized almost perfectly and any other team playing City that day would have been battered. You criticize Pochettino for his tactics, but what would you have done differently? I believe the only thing that pochettino should have done is ask levy for better quality players in passing the ball from the back, bringing it to midfield and having competent attackers that knows how to hold on to the ball or run in behind. Spurs looked poor in that regard and it was not the fault of pochettino. The alternative is to hoof the ball into the attack and park the buss. Perhaps such anti-football is the only way to beat this City side when they play this good unless you have a team that is equal to City.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
And we still reached a CL final, knocking out Dortmund, Manchester City and a fantastic Ajax team in the process.

We fell apart a bit in the league last season but we've strengthened our weakest area with Ndombele and Lo Celso coming in, and hopefully won't suffer the same ridiculous injury issues which plagued us all of last season.

Maybe we won't be as good as we were in 16/17 (I agree that was our best, most complete side) but again, we won't need to be in order to avoid a top 4 battle.
Ofcourse the CL final was a great achievement but ultimately it was 6 KO games to get there Dortmund was a great display but City was end to end chaos and you saw of Ajax in that half with route 1 to Llorente (nothing wrong with that but it's still not the vintage stuff we've been use too in the MP era).

For the record i think you will ultimately make top 4 but i think it will be more of a challenge than people think.

RyRoc

They are taking it very slow and careful but this summer I thought they have done some good business in this transfer window. They are able to replacing Dembele with Ndombele (basically upgrade their midfield last season). Add more creativity player Lo Celso & sign Sessegnon. I’ll be very confident that they can make it to title challenger if they can sign a holding mid & a right back. But Walker Peters might work out for their right back option, good on Pochettino for putting faith in him.

Overall they have good squad to actually make it to title challenger this season.
Don't see it personally - think they are clearly closer to United, Chelsea and Arsenal then they are Liverpool and City. City played them off the park for most of today's game. Time will tell though.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

We have several key players injured or suspended and new players to bed in Vs a City side at home that is mostly unchanged from last season and is a well oiled machine. We got battered but defended well and got a great point. You can be incredibly negative sometimes.

Irwin99

When I watch them I just feel they're one step away from being a top team but i'm not sure what it is they're missing. Kane was probably the worst I've ever seen him play today, yet they've got players to come in and score when he's not on top form.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Don't see it personally - think they are clearly closer to United, Chelsea and Arsenal then they are Liverpool and City. City played them off the park for most of today's game. Time will tell though.
Time will tell but also today they are missing some players. Their midfield still average bar from Ndombele.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We have several key players injured or suspended and new players to bed in Vs a City side at home that is mostly unchanged from last season and is a well oiled machine. We got battered but defended well and got a great point. You can be incredibly negative sometimes.
That was the worst I've ever seen us play under Pochettino. Call it negative if you like but that's what I saw.

We got lucky with decisions and fluked a point. The result doesn't always reflect the performance .. I've said already I think the point is fantastic for us, but we've come away having conceded 30 shots and scored 2 goals from our only 2 shots of the game. Our star striker barely got a touch of the ball it was so one sided, regardless of how good City are we've played far better at the Etihad, but football like all sport is unpredictable and for City nothing went their way at all.

That's just being realistic. Obviously there are positives from today, our defending in the second half was good, the result is fantastic. But if you want me to lie about how shit we played then no, I won't do that because it's a stupid fecking thing to do. City pummelled us and it was genuinely depressing to watch us barely be able to emerge from our own half, I guarantee Pochettino won't be happy with the way we played and neither should our fans.

We had the same amount of players to bed in as City did, yet they're mostly unchanged? Riiiight .. come on, the players missing are a genuine excuse but the players out there were more than good enough to do better than they did. Eriksen was a joke and it's performances like that which make me infuriated when people say he's our best player.

And again, as for being negative, it's not like I've drawn any great conclusions from this result. I've said I think we'll massively improve from this and players coming back will help, and I've said I think we will comfortably get third. It's just that a wank performance is a wank performance, there's no point pretending that because we got a point it suddenly means we played well.

Spurs lost 13 games in the league last season!

Utd will finish above them this season, and finish 3rd. They are in a battle for 4th with arsenal and Chelsea.

RooneyLegend

They'll likely finish 3rd again. Us, Chelsea and Arsenal have huge holes in our sides. The Arsenal midfield isnt convincing and neither is their midfield. Chelsea dont have an attack and a defence, Not quite sure what we have. They on the other hand when everyone is fit have a very balanced side.

They also have pretty good coach too while us and Chelsea have new blood and Arsenal have a man who just isnt that good.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
You didnt just get battered, it was a mauling, you were not even playing the same game. 30 shots by City to 3 by Spurs. You were outright dominated in midfield, the only person who could progress the ball up the field was Sissoko. I dont think you broke City's press once in the whole game. The only way that happened was with route 1. So the majority of football was in Spurs half. It's been a while since I have seen such a one sided affair end up in a draw.

Spurs wont be the only team to go to City this year and get a mauling however. I fully expect the game to run exactly as this when we visit, except we wont have VAR on our side. City is just so much better than everyone else. It's telling when the three subs that come on are Silva, Jesus and Mahrez how much better their team is overall.

But Spurs have just played the best team in the competition, away, and came up with a point. Was it deserved? Hell no, but that is football, and im sure the Spurs fans dont mind.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Actually changing my mind. I had long thought about it and I don’t think Spurs is that good.

Defensively we could be on par or slightly better or slightly worse depends on how Maguire is going for the rest of season and also depends on whether walker peters can stay consistent.

Midfield is our weakest link but I think we have better midfield than them. I wouldn’t even pick Winks & Sissoko over both Mctominay & Pogba in my XI. Ndombele is the only good one.

Attackers they have better at the moment but again it can also changed depends whether both Martial & Rashford and also Ali can meet up their expectation.

If we don’t lose too much points due to Mourinho last season, I think we could take over their 4th spot last season.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Should put another one of those polls up again whether Spurs will make top 4 or not. Always gives me a chuckle at the end of the season when I see 75% vote for out of the top 4.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
I would be pretty surprised if spurs finish outside the top 4 this year. They have a good squad, Pochettino has proven that he knows how to win with them, and N'Dombele at least should be a big help to them this year. If they finish outside the top 4, I think it would mean that 2/3 of United, Arsenal, and Chelsea have a good year.

With that said, there are holes on their roster. A lot of their young players like Winks and KWP are no more than decent squad players, in my opinion. They need real quality at fullback, especially on the left, and didn't upgrade it. They also still have big questions with Eriksen and Alderweireld, but that will be more of an issue next year.

Should put another one of those polls up again whether Spurs will make top 4 or not. Always gives me a chuckle at the end of the season when I see 75% vote for out of the top 4.
Perhaps you can have a poll to see whether anyone thinks spurs will win a trophy? Makes me chuckle for all spurs’ bluster, they never actually win anything - unless the Audi Cup now counts?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Good point, got two goals back from a losing position, yes City dominated us but how many top saves did Lloris really have to make? I counted 3 maybe 4, City were wasteful and can’t afford to drop points on the dippers so easily. Kun’s face at the end, nearly spilled my beer.

Guy Incognito

Perhaps you can have a poll to see whether anyone thinks spurs will win a trophy? Makes me chuckle for all spurs’ bluster, they never actually win anything - unless the Audi Cup now counts?
:lol:

Their squad is good enough to win silverware and go far in a domestic cup competition. Top four shouldn't be the height of their achievements.

Spurs only had something like three shots on target and got two goals yesterday. May have been fortunate but City were wasteful. 9 times out of ten they'd have won that.

As Fergie always says 'these things always even out over the course of the season' so Spurs will probably play outstandingly well against Norwich but lose.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
:lol:

Savage but fair.

City were all over them yesterday but always have one result like this at the start of the season when they are not quite in rhythm.

Spurs, for all their bluster, will do what they always do – finish in the top four but win nothing.

No idea why their fan base, in general, is so arrogant.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
When I watch them I just feel they're one step away from being a top team but i'm not sure what it is they're missing. Kane was probably the worst I've ever seen him play today, yet they've got players to come in and score when he's not on top form.
Still a bit hit and miss in defence. Seem to concede a fair few goals in corners in these big clashes. Lloris isn't the keeper he was, they were trying to sell Rose to Watford, now he's back as first choce, Sanchez can ball watch a bit too much, Walkers Peters still learning the game etc.

Wouldn't say their issues in final third are problem at all.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Still a bit hit and miss in defence. Seem to concede a fair few goals in corners in these big clashes. Lloris isn't the keeper he was, they were trying to sell Rose to Watford, now he's back as first choce, Sanchez can ball watch a bit too much, Walkers Peters still learning the game etc.

Agree with this analysis.

Keeper is on a downward spiral and has been for a long time, full backs are average, centre halves are ageing (and Sanchez is always liable to drop a bollock), while I feel - mental as it sounds - that they look better balanced in attack when it’s one of Kane and Moura, not both. Alli is also dogshit.

Irwin99

Agree with that, although whenever I see Danny Rose play he always plays pretty well and most people seem to think he's a donkey on here. Having said that, an upgrade on their fullbacks would be a big help to them.