2019/20 Rivals - Spurs | Bergwijn out for the remainder of the season

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That tweet sounds quite agenda driven. He has said numerous times he is happy to work with the squad. We have also broken our transfer record this summer.

The part about not being happy, he has spoken about how the transfers work many times and I think it's more likely that he isn't happy about the question than suddenly not being happy with the transfer situation.

edit: I'm not saying everything is great and he wouldn't want any more signings, but I don't think he is particularly unhappy with the squad or the way the transfers work at the club.
Yeah, on 5 live they kinda alluded to the same thing a while ago. They think the outrage by Poch is somewhat overplayed. He ends up just getting on with it, even when he’s “complaining”. Like before he signed his new deal and then you went and signed no one.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
That tweet sounds quite agenda driven. He has said numerous times he is happy to work with the squad. We have also broken our transfer record this summer.

The part about not being happy, he has spoken about how the transfers work many times and I think it's more likely that he isn't happy about the question than suddenly not being happy with the transfer situation.

edit: I'm not saying everything is great and he wouldn't want any more signings, but I don't think he is particularly unhappy with the squad or the way the transfers work at the club.
We've signed one single player for the first team in multiple years. Breaking our record isn't some huge deal when everybody else in the top six is blowing that record away. Arsenal without CL are throwing 72 million at Nicolas Pepe, probably because their fans didn't tolerate the lack of investment in the market and actually went about telling the board they want spending.

We needed far, far more this summer. We've had more first team outs than ins despite this being built up as the big one where we would attempt to reshape. Ndombele is great but he's nowhere near enough.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
We've signed one single player for the first team in multiple years. Breaking our record isn't some huge deal when everybody else in the top six is blowing that record away. Arsenal without CL are throwing 72 million at Nicolas Pepe, probably because their fans didn't tolerate the lack of investment in the market and actually went about telling the board they want spending.

We needed far, far more this summer. We've had more first team outs than ins despite this being built up as the big one where we would attempt to reshape. Ndombele is great but he's nowhere near enough.
Lucas Moura was sign 18 months ago - hardly "multiple years". Moreover, why do you talk in the past tense - "we needed far, far more this summer" - when the window is still open?

In any case, it's not about the number of new signings, or the money spent on new signings. Instead it's about the quality of new signings, whether they provide upgraded options for particular positions where they are most needed, whether they fit with the team ethos and style of play ... and whether we usefully can bring through some younger players from the academy ranks.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

He was clearly frustrated last season, if getting to the UCL final doesn't deserve rewarding with greater transfer funds then nothing will. Poch won't go full Mourinho but he'll be very much questioning his future at Spurs (as he has been anyway) if you only sign one player this summer (especially as that one player is just a replacement for one you lost in January)

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Ndombele is a very good signing but i feel Spurs got a bit ahead of themselves trying to go for Dybala, Lo Celso (at that price anyway). If you manage to get 2,3 good squad players, it will be a good window.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think Levy wants to see what goes on with Eriksen before moving. Still believe they will bring in at least one more.

charlenefan

I think Levy wants to see what goes on with Eriksen before moving. Still believe they will bring in at least one more.
Is that really what Spurs fans want to see though? One player brought in to replace one of the best players leaving for bigger and better things? They 'need' to improve not to replace like for like

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Lucas Moura was sign 18 months ago - hardly "multiple years". Moreover, why do you talk in the past tense - "we needed far, far more this summer" - when the window is still open?

In any case, it's not about the number of new signings, or the money spent on new signings. Instead it's about the quality of new signings, whether they provide upgraded options for particular positions where they are most needed, whether they fit with the team ethos and style of play ... and whether we usefully can bring through some younger players from the academy ranks.
My bad, I forgot about Moura. So what's that, two players in 2-3 years? It's hardly enough, especially when we've had plenty of outs.

The window is still open but I just don't see us doing much in the time that remains. If I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up but that's the way the situation looks to me, similar to last summer where everyone was saying 'give it time' until we ended up signing nobody.

And yes, the number of new signings matters. You need to fill places in the squad. We need another midfielder, we need another right back and could do with another left back, the problems are there. Turning to the academy is a solution but it's not going to work every time, even Barcelona with the best academy in the entire world can't rely on youth players to replace first team players consistently, it just doesn't work that way unless you strike lucky with a golden generation.

If this is all we do then it's a shit window. Maybe it won't be but one player coming in all summer and two out isn't the transfer window we were promised.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Is that really what Spurs fans want to see though? One player brought in to replace one of the best players leaving for bigger and better things? They 'need' to improve not to replace like for like
They will need the Eriksen money. I think t rumours of £150m kitty are nonsense. They will need to raise money.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Let's wait till the window closes before we all go mental.
I seem to remember hearing similar from you last summer.

I'm not saying it will go the same way, but I do think the signs aren't great right now. The way it looks is that the club are either happy for Eriksen to stay and to sign nobody else, or sell Eriksen and bring in someone like Lo Celso as a replacement. The links to Dybala and the like were all clearly a fantasy.

I hope to god I'm wrong about that. But I wasn't last time and I don't think I will be this time.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham

The deal has to be right for the club, and we have assembled a fantastic squad, and it's not that easy to add to it with the financial situation. Apparently Arsenal will sign a player and it will impact future transfer windows the way the payment will be made. One thing Levy is doing that he does deserve credit for is to make sure we are staying financially stable while the squad we have is good. He has done this by not panicking, and instead look for the right deal. I'm not saying Levy is perfect, but we have a lot to thank him for.

Having said that, I definitely agree with you about needing players, and I will be disappointed if we don't get another big signing, I think we will though so I'll wait until the window close.

I was mainly responding to the tweet about how Pochettino is annoyed with the transfer activity. It seem to be easy click bait regardless of how true/not true it might be. He is still with us despite obvious interest from others and I'm sure he knows how the club operates. I'm just tired of all the doom and gloom tweets about how angry Poch is with the transfer window all the time.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The deal has to be right for the club, and we have assembled a fantastic squad, and it's not that easy to add to it with the financial situation. Apparently Arsenal will sign a player and it will impact future transfer windows the way the payment will be made. One thing Levy is doing that he does deserve credit for is to make sure we are staying financially stable while the squad we have is good. He has done this by not panicking, and instead look for the right deal. I'm not saying Levy is perfect, but we have a lot to thank him for.

Having said that, I definitely agree with you about needing players, and I will be disappointed if we don't get another big signing, I think we will though so I'll wait until the window close.

I was mainly responding to the tweet about how Pochettino is annoyed with the transfer activity. It seem to be easy click bait regardless of how true/not true it might be. He is still with us despite obvious interest from others and I'm sure he knows how the club operates. I'm just tired of all the doom and gloom tweets about how angry Poch is with the transfer window all the time.

We've assembled a very good squad but in the league for the last couple of seasons we've been slowly getting worse, and last season faced a very tight race in the end to sneak fourth. The financial situation should be aided by the fact you get a huge amount of money for reaching a CL final, and we've consistently been qualifying for the CL season after season with very little to no spending on transfers and a wage budget far lower that the rest of the top six. Praising for sound financial management is one thing, but personally as a fan I want trophies and ENIC are still yet to deliver a single one to the club. Acts like selling Trippier (a first choice rb in an already quite weak position) and then deciding not to replace him just scream cheap to me and I think will cost us points in the long run.

I do think Pochettino has been hugely frustrated in the past but also really enjoys other aspects of managing here. He gets a lot of freedom to operate as a coach, there's little to no pressure on him and he's adored by the fanbase. But the transfer situation hasn't always been ideal and I wouldn't be surprised if it pissed him off now and again, what manager wouldn't be frustrated with such minimal investment? The tweets might be exaggerated but I do think they reflect the reality that Poch can see a lot of potential in this club to go on and win trophies, but we're not quite doing it.

We may sign another big player, but personally I believe it's dependent on the Eriksen sale, which I'm not thrilled with. We shouldn't need to sell a key man to sign another player. Regardless of that I do think the club should have been pursuing a new right back when it became obvious Trippier was out the door. It's all well and good looking to Foyth/youth, but we need first team options and Aurier/Foyth/Walker Peters are not top 4 level options for right back, and it's naive to think that will suddenly change.

R'hllor

I really would like to see JM at Spurs, doubt he would last 5 months in total, his brain would melt in first summer transfer window.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
We've already signed NDombele, regardless of whether Eriksen stays or is replaced by a new signing, or whether another new signing comes in on top of Eriksen staying.

Moreover, as many posters on here do, you ignore the younger players coming up through the ranks - players like Skipp, Parrott, Tanganga - and instead obsess about shiny new and expensive signings.

charlenefan

We've already signed NDombele, regardless of whether Eriksen stays or is replaced by a new signing, or whether another new signing comes in on top of Eriksen staying.

Moreover, as many posters on here do, you ignore the younger players coming up through the ranks - players like Skipp, Parrott, Tanganga - and instead obsess about shiny new and expensive signings.
Ndombele is Dembele's replacement or have you forgot about him?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Straight out of the Mourinho song book. Almost word for word.
Not at all. He's just tired of being asked the same old questions that he's answered multiple times already - i.e. he is not in charge of negotiating transfers, that's Levy's job. Poch isn't involved beyond being part of the three-person committee that decides on the transfer-targets.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Ndombele is Dembele's replacement or have you forgot about him?
Talk about trying to shift the goalposts …

You said "replace one of the best players leaving for bigger and better things". Dembele left for China, aged 31, and was a fair bit past his best.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I seem to remember hearing similar from you last summer.

I'm not saying it will go the same way, but I do think the signs aren't great right now. The way it looks is that the club are either happy for Eriksen to stay and to sign nobody else, or sell Eriksen and bring in someone like Lo Celso as a replacement. The links to Dybala and the like were all clearly a fantasy.

I hope to god I'm wrong about that. But I wasn't last time and I don't think I will be this time.
I said the same last year and I like you went absolutely mental when the window closed. No point in losing it now.

If Eriksen signs a new contract and we finalise deals for GLC and Sessegnon then it's been the best window we have had in years. If we don't it's disappointing albeit with a superb signing in ND

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I said the same last year and I like you went absolutely mental when the window closed. No point in losing it now.

If Eriksen signs a new contract and we finalise deals for GLC and Sessegnon then it's been the best window we have had in years. If we don't it's disappointing albeit with a superb signing in ND
Not hard! Haha.

That's best case I suppose. Although honestly I wish we'd back off from Sessegnon and go for a left back instead. I'm much happier with Rose/Davies than I am with Foyth/Aurier/KWP.

charlenefan

You said "replace one of the best players leaving for bigger and better things". Dembele left for China, aged 31, and was a fair bit past his best.
No you just fail to understand

You quoted a sentence referring to another signing being dependant on Eriksen leaving i.e. his replacement.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

He's a late replacement for Dembele. We needed one last summer when it was clear Dembele was past it (before then he was still our best midfielder) and then even more so that January when he moved on.

We let a central midfielder leave the first team without replacing him, just like this summer we're letting a right back leave the first team without replacing him. I won't be hailing Levy too much if a season from now we finally actually sign one.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
No you just fail to understand

You quoted a sentence referring to another signing being dependant on Eriksen leaving i.e. his replacement.
Wtf are you on about?

You replied to a post about Eriksen possibly leaving and being replaced, saying: "One player brought in to replace one of the best players leaving for bigger and better things?

I pointed out that we'd already signed Ndombele (i.e. if Eriksen leaves and is replaced then it won't be just one player brought in, it will be two).

You then mentioned N'Dombele being a replacement for Dembele, but he did not "leave for bigger and better things" and was way past his best.

charlenefan

Wtf are you on about?

You replied to a post about Eriksen possibly leaving and being replaced, saying: "One player brought in to replace one of the best players leaving for bigger and better things?

I pointed out that we'd already signed Ndombele (i.e. if Eriksen leaves and is replaced then it won't be just one player brought in, it will be two).

You then mentioned N'Dombele being a replacement for Dembele, but he did not "leave for bigger and better things" and was way past his best.
No WTF are you on about Glaston

Me and the other chap were talking about Eriksen and only Eriksen. You then stuck your big oar in talking about NDombele who's completely and utterly incidental to the conversation me and the other chap was having. It was at that point I pointed out that NDombele was Dembele's replacement

Next time mind your own fecking business and speak when spoken to

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
He's a late replacement for Dembele. We needed one last summer when it was clear Dembele was past it (before then he was still our best midfielder) and then even more so that January when he moved on.

We let a central midfielder leave the first team without replacing him, just like this summer we're letting a right back leave the first team without replacing him. I won't be hailing Levy too much if a season from now we finally actually sign one.
The players you want aren't always available when you want them - this isn't a computer game. I'd rather we waited to sign Ndombele, rather than sign an inferior player or scramble around in January when it's even more difficult to sign players.

And now you're complaining about Trippier leaving, when in the past you frequently slated him. Moreover, as I've said, Pochettino seems to be quite happy with Foyth at RB … and again played him there first half against RM today. Shiny new signings are not always the best answer.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
No WTF are you on about Glaston

Me and the other chap were talking about Eriksen and only Eriksen. You then stuck your big oar in talking about NDombele who's completely and utterly incidental to the conversation me and the other chap was having. It was at that point I pointed out that NDombele was Dembele's replacement

Next time mind your own fecking business and speak when spoken to
No. If you were taking about only a replacement for Eriksen - if he should leave - then why would you say that Spurs fans wouldn't be happy with just one replacement player. Would you expect us to sign two replacments for him? You're talking absolute bollocks … as usual.

charlenefan

Insulting another member
No. If you were taking about only a replacement for Eriksen - if he should leave - then why would you say that Spurs fans wouldn't be happy with just one replacement player. Would you expect us to sign two replacments for him? You're talking absolute bollocks … as usual.
No you're being a fecking idiot now do one you maniac

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The players you want aren't always available when you want them - this isn't a computer game. I'd rather we waited to sign Ndombele, rather than sign an inferior player or scramble around in January when it's even more difficult to sign players.

And now you're complaining about Trippier leaving, when in the past you frequently slated him. Moreover, as I've said, Pochettino seems to be quite happy with Foyth at RB … and again played him there first half against RM today. Shiny new signings are not always the best answer.

How many other teams allow a key first team player to leave/deteriorate completely and then just straight up do nothing to replace them? You keep saying stuff like 'computer game' as if it's some fantasy land to expect the club to be proactive in replacing key members of the side, but it isn't. That's the bare minimum expectation, because really the club should be looking to improve and get better, not just maintain the status quo.

I have slated Trippier. I've also slated Lloris in the past and other players, but I still wouldn't want them sold without being replaced. Selling Trippier wasn't the issue, getting rid and then not bringing in a replacement is the problem here, because we all know by now Aurier isn't good enough, KWP still hasn't shown nearly enough and Foyth is a massive risky experiment which could easily backfire. Having one recognised senior right back in the whole squad (one who is a proven flop) is not intelligent squad management, at all. I also don't believe for one second it's what Pochettino actually wants, and the pre-season friendly was exactly what I feared: he played like a centre back playing at right back. Solid defensively but he offers nothing in the opponent's half. You say you think he's 'quite happy' with this .. why? Because he's making do? He doesn't have a choice.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
How many other teams allow a key first team player to leave/deteriorate completely and then just straight up do nothing to replace them? You keep saying stuff like 'computer game' as if it's some fantasy land to expect the club to be proactive in replacing key members of the side, but it isn't. That's the bare minimum expectation, because really the club should be looking to improve and get better, not just maintain the status quo.

I have slated Trippier. I've also slated Lloris in the past and other players, but I still wouldn't want them sold without being replaced. Selling Trippier wasn't the issue, getting rid and then not bringing in a replacement is the problem here, because we all know by now Aurier isn't good enough, KWP still hasn't shown nearly enough and Foyth is a massive risky experiment which could easily backfire. Having one recognised senior right back in the whole squad (one who is a proven flop) is not intelligent squad management, at all. I also don't believe for one second it's what Pochettino actually wants, and the pre-season friendly was exactly what I feared: he played like a centre back playing at right back. Solid defensively but he offers nothing in the opponent's half. You say you think he's 'quite happy' with this .. why? Because he's making do? He doesn't have a choice.
You may think that you "know by now Aurier isn't good enough". I don't. And as for Foyth being "solid defensively" (but offering little going forward) - for all you know that's exactly what Pochettino wants in certain games.

We've just broken our club record - by some margin - in the cost of signing a new player, the often predicted exodus of our best players has yet again not happened (or not so far at least), the transfer window is still open, we have several promising young players and our first full season in in our new stadium coming soon.

You could try stop seeing the glass as only half full for a change. Just a thought.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You may think that you "know by now Aurier isn't good enough". I don't. And as for Foyth being "solid defensively" (but offering little going forward) - for all you know that's exactly what Pochettino wants in certain games.

We've just broken our club record - by some margin - in the cost of signing a new player, the often predicted exodus of our best players has yet again not happened (or not so far at least), the transfer window is still open, we have several promising young players and our first full season in in our new stadium coming soon.

You could try stop seeing the glass as only half full for a change. Just a thought.

:lol: Then you haven't been watching. He's had 2 seasons now and if anything he's gotten worse. Fecking nightmare of a right back who we'll struggle to move on.

In certain games, sure .. no problem. But a majority of our games are going to be against sides who sit back, and for those games we need a proper attacking right back and I don't think KWP is ready to step up to that plate yet, if he ever will be. The club sold a senior player for 20m+ and didn't replace him, what other top six clubs would this be tolerated at?

We've signed one player, to replace a player who left last season. I didn't expect that exodus to happen but we now have Toby and Eriksen entering their final years of contract which is a pretty shitty situation, the young players may be promising but it's very unlikely they'll have a huge impact as is the case with every other club, and great .. we're playing in a new stadium. We've sold one first team player and signed one thus far.

I don't think the situation is terrible, again like last season I think we'll probably make top four, but we certainly won't do any better than that, and we probably will continue our trophy drought under ENIC. And this will remain the situation for as long as we're happy to just give youth a chance, or just make do, or just be happy with new facilities and sound finances. The club will consistently fall short of glory while other clubs - who do push for trophies - will win the cups which will go down in history for them.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
:lol: Then you haven't been watching. He's had 2 seasons now and if anything he's gotten worse. Fecking nightmare of a right back who we'll struggle to move on.

In certain games, sure .. no problem. But a majority of our games are going to be against sides who sit back, and for those games we need a proper attacking right back and I don't think KWP is ready to step up to that plate yet, if he ever will be. The club sold a senior player for 20m+ and didn't replace him, what other top six clubs would this be tolerated at?

We've signed one player, to replace a player who left last season. I didn't expect that exodus to happen but we now have Toby and Eriksen entering their final years of contract which is a pretty shitty situation, the young players may be promising but it's very unlikely they'll have a huge impact as is the case with every other club, and great .. we're playing in a new stadium. We've sold one first team player and signed one thus far.

I don't think the situation is terrible, again like last season I think we'll probably make top four, but we certainly won't do any better than that, and we probably will continue our trophy drought under ENIC. And this will remain the situation for as long as we're happy to just give youth a chance, or just make do, or just be happy with new facilities and sound finances. The club will consistently fall short of glory while other clubs - who do push for trophies - will win the cups which will go down in history for them.
United sold Herrera and haven't so far haven't replaced him. Chelsea have sold Hazard and can't replace him. Arsenal's captain has gone on strike. It's not all as great at other clubs as you make out.

So you would have sold Toby and Eriksen when? Last summer? This summer? And then you'd probably be complaining that we sold them. Or maybe you think we should pay Toby the £180k - 200k and a 4 year contract that he's demanded? If so, what would you say to the consequent knock-on wage demands from other players? Pay them all what they want?

Right now, no matter how much more money we might borrow (and clearly you want us borrow lots more), there is no overtaking sugar-daddy City for the league title. That's the reality which you won't acknowledge.

So that leaves 3 trophies up for grabs - all of which depend partly on the luck of the draw and for all of which we stand just as a good a chance of as most of the other top 6. Hell, two of those top 6 aren't even in the competition for the biggest trophy of all.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
The limited times I have seen Aurier play he has been a train wreck. Like a red card waiting to happen, in fact I believe in the Spurs game I watched he got a red card.

Having said that, the physicality and athleticism is there, it's just brain farts and bad play. At 26 he should be coming into his peak career years. Maybe Pochettino thinks he can remove the brain farts from his game?

Foyth and KWP are still young and inexperienced, what are they 22? Still in the 'may make the grade, may not' limbo.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Aurier is awful. I know he's performed miracles with Sissoko but Aurier is a step too far. He's shit.

Foyth will probably become your first choice RB.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
United sold Herrera and haven't so far haven't replaced him. Chelsea have sold Hazard and can't replace him. Arsenal's captain has gone on strike. It's not all as great at other clubs as you make out.

So you would have sold Toby and Eriksen when? Last summer? This summer? And then you'd probably be complaining that we sold them. Or maybe you think we should pay Toby the £180k - 200k and a 4 year contract that he's demanded? If so, what would you say to the consequent knock-on wage demands from other players? Pay them all what they want?

Right now, no matter how much more money we might borrow (and clearly you want us borrow lots more), there is no overtaking sugar-daddy City for the league title. That's the reality which you won't acknowledge.

So that leaves 3 trophies up for grabs - all of which depend partly on the luck of the draw and for all of which we stand just as a good a chance of as most of the other top 6. Hell, two of those top 6 aren't even in the competition for the biggest trophy of all.
United look like they will replace Herrera whereas we're not looking particularly close to anything. Chelsea is clearly a special case and you know it (and even then they've signed as many first team players with a ban!) and Arsenal have their own issues but shit, they're going out there without cl money and putting 72 million up for an attacker. Not to mention the fact I never actually said it was great at other clubs, just that I think generally speaking other teams show more ambition than we do, and that we haven't taken advantage of some good positions we've been in.

When did I say this? You said that it was a big positive they wouldn't be leaving, when the reality is we'll probably have 2 key players leaving on frees. It's an issue regardless of what we could have done to change it. I would personally have preferred Toby leave last season and we bring in a proper replacement rather than him leave on a free.

Ah yeah, there's the Glaston I know and love. Fan wants more than one signing in the transfer window and you jump straight to 'you want us to borrow loads' even though nobody is asking for us to spend ridiculous amounts of money. Replacing Trippier with another right back wouldn't require huge amounts of borrowing. We reached a CL final which = shit tons of prize money, we qualified again for the CL as we have for so many seasons in a row, and we haven't spent money in years. If despite all that we need to borrow huge amounts of money to sign 2-3 players in a window then there's an issue at the club. What's our net spend for this window? Like 30m with Janssen and Trippier out? That's absolutely nothing in 2019, championship clubs spend more.

And yeah .. nobody is demanding or expecting a league title. Just because City exist doesn't mean you shouldn't try and push on and improve your team, or Liverpool wouldn't currently hold a CL title. That shitty, proper loser attitude will get us nowhere as a club and it's utterly defeatist. We should just stay where we are and not invest because Manchester City are too good anyway? Feck me, are you a fan or part of the board?

It's weird how every other club in the top six has won more than us under ENIC then. I guess we're just really unlucky. Or maybe running with an often paper thin squad where the priority is always top 4 and no more so we can keep the revenue streams going, isn't the best environment in which a club can win trophies. And I think we've all been happy with that for a certain period of time, but when are we going to actually get to watch our club win stuff? Because that's what our fans should want & deserve. Other fans of cl clubs wouldn't put up with this long without a trophy, but apparently we're meant to. I'm pretty sick of being runners up or semi finalists all the time but never actually getting to celebrate a fecking big win.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Aurier is awful. I know he's performed miracles with Sissoko but Aurier is a step too far. He's shit.

Foyth will probably become your first choice RB.
Yeah Sissoko was rubbish, always had the athleticism and physicality. The dood is a beast physically, great engine, power, pace, strong in the tackle, just seemed an average footballer.

But he has really turned it around to being one of Spurs best players. He still has holes in his game, I swear I can shoot better than Sissoko, his passing is about the same level as Dembele. But I guess he just seems like he focuses more on what his good skills are and doesnt try anything too fancy.

jem

I agree with what you are saying, and if it were just random poster on the Caf and/or a Spurs site getting worked up, that would be one thing. However, Pochettino (provided the quotes are all accurate,) seems to be harbouring/fostering the same doubts. And when a manager starts doing Mourinho karaoke, the omens aren't good (just ask us - we went through the real thing last pre-season.) The cynic in me wonders if Poch isn't getting his excuses in early, so he might make himself available for future vacancies, should Spurs underwhelm this season and the likes of Real or United come calling.

AlwaysRed66

I cannot believe Spurs let Trippier go, & kept the awful Aurier. I expect Poch had nothing to do with this, & probably explain in part his comments about just being a coach.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Even with no further additions, I think Spurs still have enough quality and continuity to be favorites for 3rd this season.

The bigger problem is really the future. Fast forward to next summer and you've potentially got the following: Both starting CBs leaving in Alderweireld and Vertonghen, the main creative attacking midfielder leaving in Eriksen, Lloris now 33 and needing replacement, Rose and Sissoko both 30 and going into the last year on their contracts, and quite likely still a big hole at RB. That is a lot of problems to address simultaneously.

A far sighted club would definitely put a couple of the longer term solutions into place this summer (ie, Lo Celso and Sessegnon).