2019/20 Rivals - Spurs | Bergwijn out for the remainder of the season

AkaAkuma

Another thread to assess top 6 competitors to see how there squads are shaping up for next season.
  • What will be their starting lineup?
  • Who are they being linked to in the transfer market?
  • Whats their squad depth like, Who will fill the squad roles?
  • Where do you predict them to finish?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They've surely got to sign a right back, Trippier was absolutely awful last year, I've seen their name floated about with Wan-Bissaka but I doubt they'd match whatever our offer is. They've been linked with Ndombele today, had a bid rejected. He'd be a good signing for them. The big question is whether or not they retain Alderweireld and Eriksen, Eriksen seems to want to join Madrid but all the talk there indicates they aren't interested. Alderweireld's release clause is lowered but I've not actually heard that much about him wanting to leave anymore, maybe he'll stay and let his contract expire then leave on a free next year?

A lot of next season's going to depend on injuries again, I swear Kane and Alli spend 90% of the season injured. Kane particularly is worth 30+ goals a season when fit, if they can keep him healthy they'll easily finish top 4 again, probably a comfortable 3rd. They still have a really strong starting 11 so focusing on squad depth to cope with injuries should be their biggest priority this summer. Their run in the Champions League and Pochettino should make them an attractive destination for players. If it can't be us I wouldn't mind Spurs having a go at breaking up that City/Liverpool top 2.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Seems they're in talks for Ndombele.

I think they need a refresh at full back options which have gone stale given Tripper form falling off a cliff and also central midfield needs a bit of a boost. Likes of Dier and Wanyama not good enough to start later stages of CL, Sissoko proved many wrong but not the sort to offer much in final third with his ridiculous shooting, Eriksen likely off and also a question mark over whether Dele Ali should be automatic starter given his underwhelming season.

I actually don't think the striker issue is that big an issue compared to other two areas. Kane is Kane and Moura and Son will also chip in with plenty of goals.

Think Spurs are in better shape than Chelsea and Arsenal for top 4 particularly with how quickly they settled into the new stadium.

SambaBoy

Could do with a revamp of their squad. A new RB as Trippier was terrible and Aurier is a mistake waiting to happen. They will need a CB if Alderweireld was too leave as Sanchez and Vertongthen with Foyth as back-up won't be good/strong enough to compete in all the competitions. Rose has declined but they could probably get away with him and Davies for another season at least. Same with Lloris and GK unless they can identify a good value for money goalkeeper.

CM is imperative due to the injuries in there squad and Dembele leaving. Eriksen too which is likely to happen. Ndombele would be a terrific signing.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
If we successfully revamp our midfield and sign a right back I'd have us comfortably finish top 4 and closer to the top than this season (injuries permitting). If we fail to do that I can honestly see us struggle in too many games since right now we are exploitable in wide areas and with a rather weak midfield except for Sissoko who we have to pray will have another season like this.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We need one or two really good midfielders - I'd also like a right back. If the rumours are true we are after Ndombele and Lo Celso which would be absolutely fantastic signings - still very likely Eriksen will leave though which will be a massive blow. Will be an interesting summer - keeping my fingers crossed we actually sign somebody!!

Johan07

The Mirror is reporting that Ndombele has a release clause of 66m. I thought release clauses were not allowed in France if not agreed upon by the league, which happens not so often. Just bad journalism or?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The Mirror is reporting that Ndombele has a release clause of 66m. I thought release clauses were not allowed in France if not agreed upon by the league, which happens not so often. Just bad journalism or?
Probably nonsense - I dont trust any transfer stories in the papers at all at this time of year.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
We need one or two really good midfielders - I'd also like a right back. If the rumours are true we are after Ndombele and Lo Celso which would be absolutely fantastic signings - still very likely Eriksen will leave though which will be a massive blow. Will be an interesting summer - keeping my fingers crossed we actually sign somebody!!
The news is that Eriksen wants Real but Real don't want him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think both Alderweireld and Eriksen will leave on a free transfers next summer so I think they'll both be at Spurs again next season and I expect Spurs to be Spurs and finish 3rd or 4th

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
I think both Alderweireld and Eriksen will leave on a free transfers next summer so I think they'll both be at Spurs again next season and I expect Spurs to be Spurs and finish 3rd or 4th
Ha you think Levy would ever let that happen?, new contract for Eriksen this summer or he's sold at the very least, not sure about Alderweireld.

charlenefan

Ha you think Levy would ever let that happen?, new contract for Eriksen this summer or he's sold at the very least, not sure about Alderweireld.
He's only going to be able to sell Eriksen if he lowers his valuation, you think he'll do that?

charlenefan

Apparently Barca don't want Eriksen either
Indeed so if Real and Barca aren't interested where does he go? I'm sure a lot of sides would be interested but A- would Eriksen be interested in going to them? B- Spurs would have lower their valuation to like 30m for those sides to be able to afford him

I just dont see anyone matching Spurs' valuation and I can see the player being happy to sit tight and see what his options are like when he's a free transfer

Indeed so if Real and Barca aren't interested where does he go? I'm sure a lot of sides would be interested but A- would Eriksen be interested in going to them? B- Spurs would have lower their valuation to like 30m for those sides to be able to afford him

I just dont see anyone matching Spurs' valuation and I can see the player being happy to sit tight and see what his options are like when he's a free transfer
Bayern or Juve could be a good look for him, especially Bayern as they're rebuilding too and James has left.

charlenefan

Bayern or Juve could be a good look for him, especially Bayern as they're rebuilding too and James has left.
I can see both holding out till he's available on a free. No way will either pay 80m for a player with a year left on his contract

Righteous Steps

Real will go after him when they fail to get Pogba.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
Look amidst the furore of Eriksen's statement people either haven't seen this or have completely ignored the fact that he would be open to signing a new contract should the move to his preferred target not materialise:

I feel that I am at a stage of my career where I would like to try something new,” Eriksen told the Danish newspaper, Ekstra Bladet. “I have the deepest respect for everything that is happening at Tottenham and it would not be something negative to stay. But I have also said that I would like to try something new.

I hope that something will be decided this summer. That is the plan. In football you never know when there could be a decision like that. It could be at any point. The best thing is always for it to happen quickly, but in football things take time.”

Asked specifically about the prospect of joining Real Madrid, Erisken added: “Real Madrid is a step up, but then it would take Real Madrid picking up the phone and making contact with Tottenham and say that they want Christian. And that they haven’t done as far as I am concerned.

It all depends on Daniel Levy and there has to be another club too. Or I will sit down myself at the table and negotiate a new contract. You can’t set a date yourself. There aren’t many boxes that Tottenham don’t tick so if I have to move away, it would have to be a step up.

If there are no exciting offers why shouldn’t I stay at Tottenham? If I then sign a new contract depends on the conditions.
So whilst the media have had their fun with the quote and created a click bait headline which and has seemingly duped near enough everyone into thinking that Eriksen will definitely leave this summer regardless, he said himself that If no offer comes from his desired destination then he'll be happy to sign a new contract.

And from what I've heard the clubs that he wants to move to are the two Spanish ones who, Real more likely but Pogba is Zidane's and Perez's preferred choice so there's a very likely chance he will stay at Spurs.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
This could be good:

---------------- Lloris
Wan-Bissaka - Toby - Vertonghen - Rose
----------- Winks - Ndombele
Eriksen ------ Lo Celso ------ Son
---------------- Kane

With Gazzaniga, Sanchez, Sessegnon, Dier, Sissoko, Alli, Moura as subs

That'd be 4 players in Wan-Bissaka, Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon, maybe costing around £200m in total. Easily affordable too, if we sold Trippier, Davies, Wanyama, Aurier, Lamela and Janssen

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
This could be good:

---------------- Lloris
Wan-Bissaka - Toby - Vertonghen - Rose
----------- Winks - Ndombele
Eriksen ------ Lo Celso ------ Son
---------------- Kane

With Gazzaniga, Sanchez, Sessegnon, Dier, Sissoko, Alli, Moura as subs

That'd be 4 players in Wan-Bissaka, Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon, maybe costing around £200m in total. Easily affordable too, if we sold Trippier, Davies, Wanyama, Aurier, Lamela and Janssen
We'll struggle to offload a few of those. Trippier/Davies/Lamela should be easy enough to mid-table level teams, but Wanyama is a crock and clubs know it, not sure if Aurier's wages might be an issue, and I honestly can't see anyone buying Janssen at all.

If we're selling Davies then let's bring in a proper left back and drop Rose to reserve as well. He's not good enough to start.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
We'll struggle to offload a few of those. Trippier/Davies/Lamela should be easy enough to mid-table level teams, but Wanyama is a crock and clubs know it, not sure if Aurier's wages might be an issue, and I honestly can't see anyone buying Janssen at all.

If we're selling Davies then let's bring in a proper left back and drop Rose to reserve as well. He's not good enough to start.
Disagree about Rose. IMO he's plenty good enough to start and offers a good balance between defensive and attacking abilities.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Disagree about Rose. IMO he's plenty good enough to start and offers a good balance between defensive and attacking abilities.
He's a lot of fart and no poo.

Does good attacking work, looks dangerous .. and then puts in his 20th shit cross of the game. Every single match his delivery is awful, it's 2019 we can't afford to continue having a fullback who is unable to put in a decent cross.

Look at Liverpool's pairing. Alright you can't expect to have two as good as them, but both TAA/Robertson deliver wicked balls every single game, they're a genuine threat. Rose is at best ok defensively as well so it's nowhere near enough to make up for his total inability to find somebody with a cross.

He's not awful and would be a good squad option, but if we have real ambition we do need an upgrade. Sell Davies and bring in another left back.

Irwin99

Gareth Bale loan move with Real paying half his wages? Would be interesting to see them with another top attacking player and another midfielder. Their attack let them down in the CL final but I thought their defence and even their midfield handled pool quite well. Not sure how they bridge the gap between themselves and City/Liverpool but they look in a better position than us, Chelsea and Arsenal as it stands right now.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
He's a lot of fart and no poo.

Does good attacking work, looks dangerous .. and then puts in his 20th shit cross of the game. Every single match his delivery is awful, it's 2019 we can't afford to continue having a fullback who is unable to put in a decent cross.

Look at Liverpool's pairing. Alright you can't expect to have two as good as them, but both TAA/Robertson deliver wicked balls every single game, they're a genuine threat. Rose is at best ok defensively as well so it's nowhere near enough to make up for his total inability to find somebody with a cross.

He's not awful and would be a good squad option, but if we have real ambition we do need an upgrade. Sell Davies and bring in another left back.
OK, but attacking capability is not just about putting in good crosses. It's also about, for example, putting the oppo FB on the defensive and stopping them from getting forward much. And it's also about, for further instance, winning lots of free kicks (for Eriksen to take) due to being brought down ... which happens to Rose a lot.

Rose brings fight, energy and tenacity to his attacking intent. He is also versatile and has sometimes been switched - following tactical substitutions - to a CM role part-way through games to decent effect.

He is in the England squad for a good reason ... and given the higher priorities for strengthening in other areas of the pitch I struggle to think of better LBs we could sign without spending ridiculous sums of money.

I'd be happy for us to sign Sessegnon and to see if Poch can/will eventually make him an out-and-out wingback, but in the meantime Rose is fine for me.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
OK, but attacking capability is not just about putting in good crosses. It's also about, for example, putting the oppo FB on the defensive and stopping them from getting forward much. And it's also about, for further instance, winning lots of free kicks (for Eriksen to take) due to being brought down ... which happens to Rose a lot.

Rose brings fight, energy and tenacity to his attacking intent. He is also versatile and has sometimes been switched - following tactical substitutions - to a CM role part-way through games to decent effect.

He is in the England squad for a good reason ... and given the higher priorities for strengthening in other areas of the pitch I struggle to think of better LBs we could sign without spending ridiculous sums of money.

I'd be happy for us to sign Sessegnon and to see if Poch can/will eventually make him an out-and-out wingback, but in the meantime Rose is fine for me.
Robertson and Alexander Arnold do all those things AND they both got double figures for assists. Good delivery is absolutely crucial for an attacking fullback - as valuable as good finishing for a striker. If you can't put a dangerous ball in then all the good attacking work is wasted, which Rose does far too frequently. He makes a lot of wrong decisions in the attacking third whereas if you watch TAA/Robertson, a majority of the time they create dangerous situations. That's the standard we should be aiming for with our fullbacks, not settling for 'fight, energy and tenacity' but looking for genuine quality.

He's in the England squad because England have crap left backs, Ben Chilwell is currently first choice. Ashley Young was starting at the World Cup. And I'm not saying Rose is an awful player (he has his plus points for sure) but simply that I don't view him as good enough to continue to start for us. We have other priorities but our poor fullback play was a big, big issue for us this season and since we focus on it a lot in Pochettino's system I think it would be hugely beneficial to have two fullbacks who are genuinely excellent players.

Sessegnon would be fine, I'd be happy if we at least made an effort to bring in competition for Rose because Davies isn't good enough even as a backup.

BlueHaze

I predict them to finish top 4 once again if they have a decent summer. If they have a very good transfer window I expect them to finish 3rd. However if they have a bad transfer window which seems very unlikely then I predict them to finish outside top 4. The fatigue would catch up to them.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I predict them to finish top 4 once again if they have a decent summer. If they have a very good transfer window I expect them to finish 3rd. However if they have a bad transfer window which seems very unlikely then I predict them to finish outside top 4. The fatigue would catch up to them.
If we keep the squad together we'd make top four again even without transfers. Fatigue will be less of an issue than it was last season since we have no world cup, Chelsea have lost Hazard and have a transfer ban, Arsenal are unlikely to improve much more, United are always a big question mark. We're also unlikely to make a European final next season, something which very clearly distracted from our league campaign.

That said, we better fecking sign players, because we need to be more ambitious than just happy to be in the top four season after season.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I think we can definitely improve upon our left back situation, however I'd rather see us strengthen at RB and at least two midfielders before looking at a left back and we probably can't afford that many players. If we can get Sessegnon as well I would be happy although I don't think he's an improvement on Rose straight away, I may be wrong here, but from what I saw he's very raw.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Spurs midfield is poor, at least they recognise that and are attempting to improve it. Wanyama and Winks injury prone, probably time to move Wanyama on, keep Dier as the DM, bring in Ndombele. Sissoko, Ndombele, Dier, Winks midfield.

Eriksen and Alderweireld will need replacing, Lo Celso seems to be who they are after to replace Eriksen. As for Alderweireld not sure, but they need another CB if he leaves, Ake/Chilwell maybe? Im assuming Sessegnon wil make a move to Spurs. London boy, happy in the capital. So could see one of either Rose or Davies leave, assuming Trippier will be moved on and Walker Peters will step in as RB with Aurier the walking brain fart.

In attack move on Lamela, the dream is over, too many injuries, probably should go back to Italy. Bring in Van De Beek. Move on all the fringe players, Janssen, Messi with an affro, N'kodu, the loan players. Promote academy players who are deserving. Assuming Spurs have some up and coming players in the academy Pochettino has his eye on.

So in Ndombele, Van De Beek, Ake/Chilwell(if Alderweireld leaves), Lo Celso(if Eriksen leaves), Sessegnon. Time to splash some cash Levy, if Spurs are still piss farting about looking for the last minute of deadline day deals id hit the road if I was Pochettino.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I'd love for us to go for Max Aarons over AWB. A lot cheaper and his attacking work is excellent.

Obviously a big risk due to being a championship player, but would allow us to focus on a couple of other areas as well.

CHKBC

The scouting team at Tottenham is paramount for the club as Levy doesn’t like to spend big. After a Long lull in the transfer market, it will be interesting to see who they buy (if they will!) this summer with transfer fees at an all time high.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Spurs midfield is poor, at least they recognise that and are attempting to improve it. Wanyama and Winks injury prone, probably time to move Wanyama on, keep Dier as the DM, bring in Ndombele. Sissoko, Ndombele, Dier, Winks midfield.

Eriksen and Alderweireld will need replacing, Lo Celso seems to be who they are after to replace Eriksen. As for Alderweireld not sure, but they need another CB if he leaves, Ake/Chilwell maybe? Im assuming Sessegnon wil make a move to Spurs. London boy, happy in the capital. So could see one of either Rose or Davies leave, assuming Trippier will be moved on and Walker Peters will step in as RB with Aurier the walking brain fart.

In attack move on Lamela, the dream is over, too many injuries, probably should go back to Italy. Bring in Van De Beek. Move on all the fringe players, Janssen, Messi with an affro, N'kodu, the loan players. Promote academy players who are deserving. Assuming Spurs have some up and coming players in the academy Pochettino has his eye on.

So in Ndombele, Van De Beek, Ake/Chilwell(if Alderweireld leaves), Lo Celso(if Eriksen leaves), Sessegnon. Time to splash some cash Levy, if Spurs are still piss farting about looking for the last minute of deadline day deals id hit the road if I was Pochettino.
You read my mind, if we get those transfers done I would be more than happy. Throw in a deadline deal line deal for Bale and that would be perfect.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
... Lo Celso(if Eriksen leaves) ...
Lo Celso with Eriksen staying would be better. This would force Alli to up his game compared to last season, in order to force his way into displacing either Eriksen or Lo Celso from the following line-up:

-- Winks/Sissoko/Dier - Ndombele
Eriksen --- Lo Celso --- Son
-------------- Kane

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Dread to think how long our list would be. Good video none the less.