2019/20 Rivals - Spurs | Bergwijn out for the remainder of the season

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
People are forgetting Some of the youngsters coming through look amazing, Parrott, Skipp, Tanganga and Georgiou being the stand outs.

I think Tanganga, Parrott and Skip will play in the cup competitions this year, they are that good.
Skipp will almost assuredly be getting playing time.

Parrott is dicey given his age and I'm so hoping that Tanganga gets some time. He was incredibly impressive in pre-season.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
They start the season with most of their formidable front four absent. How did that happen? No Ali, Eriksen or Son.

Spurs can’t afford to lose Eriksen else, they will really struggle. lo Celso is good, but he is no Eriksen.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They start the season with most of their formidable front four absent. How did that happen? No Ali, Eriksen or Son.

Spurs can’t afford to lose Eriksen else, they will really struggle. lo Celso is good, but he is no Eriksen.
Alli injured, Son suspended. Not sure why Eriksen is on the bench, odd one that.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Alli injured, Son suspended. Not sure why Eriksen is on the bench, odd one that.
Yeah strange one that, especially with his 'replacement' Lo Celso not even in the squad.

They're missing him today. Expect him to come at half time.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Spurs should move heaven on earth to keep Eriksen. Disappointed that United couldn’t have signed him.

N’Dombele looking good as I stated in my rebuilding champion league finalist spurs thread.

TheRedHearted

Villa played a hell of a match until the final 20 minutes. Really could have put one or two more past Spurs but Spurs stay strong and Harry comes up big late in the game. Don’t know if Villa could have made some tactical changes that could have held them off. Scoreline is very deceiving with this one

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Villa played a hell of a match until the final 20 minutes. Really could have put one or two more past Spurs but Spurs stay strong and Harry comes up big late in the game. Don’t know if Villa could have made some tactical changes that could have held them off. Scoreline is very deceiving with this one
Not sure about that mate, I thought Villa played well, but overall in terms of chances created I thought 3-1 was a fair reflection of the game.

AlwaysRed66

As soon as you brought on your best player, you made chances to win the game. Sell Eriksen & you will struggle to perform at the top level.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
As soon as you brought on your best player, you made chances to win the game. Sell Eriksen & you will struggle to perform at the top level.
He didn't even get a goal or an assist. Our actual best player got two goals.

Eriksen came on an added creativity and fresh energy at a time when Villa were wilting, but the impact he had is being overrated. We struggle without him because we have a lack of creative players but Lo Celso will go a long way towards aiding that.

He's obviously a great player and we will miss him, but he is replaceable.

Supports
England
He's not the best in pure technical terms, I don't think, but his importance to the team is joint only with Kane's. You basically need an Eriksen-type player to bring the best out of Kane. But that doesn't have to be Eriksen (let's just call that role "Eriksen" for simplicity's sake).

"Eriksen" and Kane are the ones whose absence would absolutely destroy Spurs as a top 4 team and cast them back to pre-Kane+Poch era mediocrity (either one of them leaving without an Eriksen substitute would leave Spurs hopeless for a challenge -- there is no Kane substitute).

As soon as Eriksen came on, Kane looked a lot busier, making more urgent and committed runs, despite it being late in the game, because Kane trusts Eriksen to actually find him in a way that he doesn't with some of the others. But I don't understand the drooling over Eriksen specifically: he had no direct involvement in any of the goals. There are others who can do his job, even if they are few and far between.

Eriksen came on an added creativity and fresh energy at a time when Villa were wilting, but the impact he had is being overrated. We struggle without him because we have a lack of creative players but Lo Celso will go a long way towards aiding that.

Absolutely right. Spurs don't need Eriksen specifically, they need a player like him to bring the best out of Kane.

Last edited:
Reactions: sizzling sausages

K13

Eriksen ... just class. Very, very underrated player but very few players give the ball as early as he does. His head is always up, he doesn't have to keep checking where the ball or players are because he knows intuitively where they are. The weight and timing of his pass is one of the best I have seen and he is like Paul Scholes in that he always seems to find that yard of space. Added to that he has a fantastic engine and a wonderful strike.

Kane always seems to get the plaudits but to my mind whenever I have watched Spurs over the last 6 seasons he is the glue and I think he will be a massive miss. I certainly would miss watching him in the PL.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ndombele will be a huge signing for them. They had no midfield before, far worse than what we have now, but added a top player to fill that massive gap. Lo Celso will be decent but I think he's being overhyped at the moment. Will be more of a squad option at first, as he won't start ahead of Son/Eriksen/Ndombele/Alli and you can't play all 5 (need a holding mid next to Ndombele IMO). Will be an easy Eriksen replacement though in the starting 11 next year.

Should solidify them as the 3rd best team in the league, but don't think it's enough to challenge for the title. Surely time for them to win a cup though, Pochettino should be massively criticized if he throws away one of the smaller ones again. Spurs and him simply have to get a trophy this year.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Pochettino said "not injured, tactical decision". Mightve fallen out?
Would surprise me if that was the case. If it's tactical it could simply be because it's a long season and he wants to give Alderweireld and Verthongen some rest when he can. But if he isn't starting against Manchester City for tactical reasons then I'll believe that something is going on.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Ndombele will be a huge signing for them. They had no midfield before, far worse than what we have now, but added a top player to fill that massive gap. Lo Celso will be decent but I think he's being overhyped at the moment. Will be more of a squad option at first, as he won't start ahead of Son/Eriksen/Ndombele/Alli and you can't play all 5 (need a holding mid next to Ndombele IMO). Will be an easy Eriksen replacement though in the starting 11 next year.

Should solidify them as the 3rd best team in the league, but don't think it's enough to challenge for the title. Surely time for them to win a cup though, Pochettino should be massively criticized if he throws away one of the smaller ones again. Spurs and him simply have to get a trophy this year.
When have we thrown the cups away? And the last cups have all been won by Manchester City, it's not as simple as to just win a domestic trophy when teams such as Liverpool and Manchester City also want them.

Hammondo

Eriksen is easily your best player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
When have we thrown the cups away? And the last cups have all been won by Manchester City, it's not as simple as to just win a domestic trophy when teams such as Liverpool and Manchester City also want them.
Think that Spurs definitely prioritized top 4 and progress in the CL ahead of any of the other cups under Pochettino either mentalities from the players, manager or just straight team selections. Been way too many upsets from them in the smaller cups.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Think that Spurs definitely prioritized top 4 and progress in the CL ahead of any of the other cups under Pochettino either mentalities from the players, manager or just straight team selections. Been way too many upsets from them in the smaller cups.
He has said this week silverware is a must this season.

BlueHaze

I hope they'll win the league this year. Shame they will win feck all though..

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I can't be bothered to go look at the stats for this, but I highly doubt we have lost more cup games against lesser teams or rotated more than most other top 6 clubs. We have been in plenty of semifinals in the last couple of years, and we have been knocked out for not being good enough, not because of prioritizing top 4. Unfair criticism in my view.

He has said this week silverware is a must this season.
That would be great, we definitely can, and I hope the draw go a little more our way this year. City were very lucky with their draws last season.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
CL-qualification progresses their growth, not the FA Cup or League Cup. CL revenue is far more valuable.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Course he is. Don't worry about the fact that most of our fans, who watch us week in and week out, will probably say Kane.

It's definitely 'easily' Eriksen because for some reason people find it really easy to ignore his inconsistency.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Course he is. Don't worry about the fact that most of our fans, who watch us week in and week out, will probably say Kane.

It's definitely 'easily' Eriksen because for some reason people find it really easy to ignore his inconsistency.
Agree he's not better than Kane, but I've always thought him Kane and Son are your best three (rival fan opinion of course). Agree or not?

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Agree he's not better than Kane, but I've always thought him Kane and Son are your best three (rival fan opinion of course). Agree or not?
For me Kane is our best, followed by Son, Eriksen and Verthongen in no particular order.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Agreed with @hellohello.

Kane is the standout best, for me an unarguably world class striker who you can argue is the best in his position full stop.

Then Eriksen/Son/Vertonghen are 3 of the best in their respective positions too. But I think a vast majority of our fans will say Kane is the star player at the club and the one who I think if he was ever sold would only go for a world record sum, or close enough to it.

Supports
England
Most important is not the same as best. Eriksen is not more technically skilled than Kane, whose technical ability outside of finishing is somehow still criminally underrated.

Anyway, Eriksen isn't even Spurs' most important player because he can theoretically be replaced. A player like Eriksen is needed to get the best out of Kane but it doesn't have to actually be Eriksen. Kane is literally irreplaceable: it's debatable whether there is a better striker for the role and it's beyond doubt that Spurs couldn't get him if there was.

BigDub

Supports
Spurs
Most important is not the same as best. Eriksen is not more technically skilled than Kane, whose technical ability outside of finishing is somehow still criminally underrated.

Anyway, Eriksen isn't even Spurs' most important player because he can theoretically be replaced. A player like Eriksen is needed to get the best out of Kane but it doesn't have to actually be Eriksen. Kane is literally irreplaceable: it's debatable whether there is a better striker for the role and it's beyond doubt that Spurs couldn't get him if there was.
This is correct. There’s no doubt Eriksen is a wonderful player and incredibly important to the team, but Kane is simply world class and irreplaceable. If Eriksen does go, though, we have to hope Lo Celso’s ability translates to the PL because we will sorely lack creativity otherwise.

George The Best

This is correct. There’s no doubt Eriksen is a wonderful player and incredibly important to the team, but Kane is simply world class and irreplaceable. If Eriksen does go, though, we have to hope Lo Celso’s ability translates to the PL because we will sorely lack creativity otherwise.
Good result in the end, you needed that after the Liverpool and City demolition jobs, we’ll deserved though.

The Eriksen thing is strange though. Doesn’t look likely he’s going to get his dream, seems Real don’t want him. Not heard any other interest for him. Do you think he might sign a new contract with you now?

BigDub

Supports
Spurs
Good result in the end, you needed that after the Liverpool and City demolition jobs, we’ll deserved though.

The Eriksen thing is strange though. Doesn’t look likely he’s going to get his dream, seems Real don’t want him. Not heard any other interest for him. Do you think he might sign a new contract with you now?
Yeah good result, especially considering how poor I thought we were in the first half. Lots of players missing though with Son, Dele, and Vertonghen. Not to mention the new signings, most notably Lo Celso.

Sounds like it’s Madrid or bust for Eriksen. That’s clearly where he wants to go. I’m hopeful, though, that if he doesn’t get that move he’ll put his head down, get on with it and perform at the level we saw today. He doesn’t strike me as the type to throw his toys out the pram and refuse to play or anything like that. It’s also unclear if Madrid are truly interested in bringing him in as you say.

Don’t remember who posted it or in what thread, but I recall reading a mention of him, if the Madrid move doesn’t materialize this summer, possibly signing a new contract with a gentleman's agreement that we’ll let him go next summer considering we’d then be able to get a good fee. That would certainly be the idea scenario for me (other than him fully committing his future to Spurs of course), but is probably a pipe dream. Just ask Modric about Levy and his gentleman’s agreements :D

George The Best

Yeah good result, especially considering how poor I thought we were in the first half. Lots of players missing though with Son, Dele, and Vertonghen. Not to mention the new signings, most notably Lo Celso.

Sounds like it’s Madrid or bust for Eriksen. That’s clearly where he wants to go. I’m hopeful, though, that if he doesn’t get that move he’ll put his head down, get on with it and perform at the level we saw today. He doesn’t strike me as the type to throw his toys out the pram and refuse to play or anything like that. It’s also unclear if Madrid are truly interested in bringing him in as you say.

Don’t remember who posted it or in what thread, but I recall reading a mention of him, if the Madrid move doesn’t materialize this summer, possibly signing a new contract with a gentleman's agreement that we’ll let him go next summer considering we’d then be able to get a good fee. That would certainly be the idea scenario for me (other than him fully committing his future to Spurs of course), but is probably a pipe dream. Just ask Modric about Levy and his gentleman’s agreements :D
Yes, if nothing happens by the end of the month he will probably sign a new contract with you. Might have bitten his nose off though, you’ve already got replacements in. Going to be interesting to see what happens.