2019/20 Rivals - Spurs | Bergwijn out for the remainder of the season

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Been seeing this type of take a lot recently.

The media storm over that VAR decision is also odd given that there wasn’t any backlash to the one given in a Champions League final.

There's a different take because had 7 shots 4 on target and generally the better of the first half. We obviously smashed them to bits second half, but that narrative exists because they had periods in the game where they were the better side.

There was massive debate over the decision in the CL final, and personally I do think City fans have a right to feel aggrieved. The rule is dodgy as hell and they clearly should have had a penalty in the first half.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
@welby "If we get the 60, OOO stadium, we'll financially wipe the floor with Spurs."

That's a very big IF because the whole project has stalled. In the meantime Spur's income is on course to soon match or exceed that of Chelsea.
Not only has it stalled but the proposed project at Chelsea is supposed to take double the time the Tottenham one did (including the delays).

So not only has it not even begun and who knows when it will, but it should also take 4-5 years to complete. That’s a long time in football and who knows what will happen between now and then.

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Either? I personally think we got rinsed by City but I can’t see how you can logically think one but then go the other way for the other. It just screams of bias and not really thinking at all.
Villa had far more decent chances against us than we did against City. We weren't even in the game against City.

Just having the same shots doesn't equate to the same level of dominance. That's silly logic.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Been seeing this type of take a lot recently.

The media storm over that VAR decision is also odd given that there wasn’t any backlash to the one given in a Champions League final.
Not to mention the decision to overturn the goal was in fact correct. I'd understand the backlash if VAR was wrong in this case. Truth is, if the ref had spotted the handball and promptly ruled out the goal, people would be lauding the guy as if he had the eyes of hawk.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There's a different take because had 7 shots 4 on target and generally the better of the first half. We obviously smashed them to bits second half, but that narrative exists because they had periods in the game where they were the better side.

There was massive debate over the decision in the CL final, and personally I do think City fans have a right to feel aggrieved. The rule is dodgy as hell and they clearly should have had a penalty in the first half.
So is the first half more important than the second? We turned it on in the second against Villa and to be completely honest City weren’t looking as good the more the second half went on. It turned into a lot of side to side movement and hopeful crosses into nowhere.

The decision to overturn the goal isn’t dodgy. It’s a pretty black and white rule that was followed correctly. You can not like that rule - which is a different thing entirely, but there’s nothing “dodgy” about it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Villa had far more decent chances against us than we did against City. We weren't even in the game against City.

Just having the same shots doesn't equate to the same level of dominance. That's silly logic.
This

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Villa also had what? A counter off of a corner and a Trezeguet half chance? Give me a break.

This just screams of negative bias.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
So is the first half more important than the second? We turned it on in the second against Villa and to be completely honest City weren’t looking as good the more the second half went on. It turned into a lot of side to side movement and hopeful crosses into nowhere.

The decision to overturn the goal isn’t dodgy. It’s a pretty black and white rule that was followed correctly. You can not like that rule - which is a different thing entirely, but there’s nothing “dodgy” about it.

No, but Villa had more phases of the game where they looked like they could compete. They created far more chances than we did. City may have wavered a bit as the second half went on, but they completely controlled both halves, which we didn't even nearly do against Villa. We had 3 shots 2 on target, 1 of those shots was a halfway line punt .. Villa managed 7 shots 4 on target against us. In that first half they had periods of play where they were seriously scaring us, they took the lead and had chances to increase that.

We were always chasing the game vs City, from the first minute to the last. We had maybe 5 minutes where we got a foot on the ball but that was it. If you can't see the difference between the two games there's no point trying to explain it to you. That's without even getting in to the fact that obviously you'd expect Spurs to perform better vs City than Villa vs Spurs. We're a CL team, they're newly promoted.

It's a dodgy rule, and that's what the discussion is about. It's also a bit dodgy that the ref stopped to give that but VAR didn't intervene when Lamela dragged a player down.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No, but Villa had more phases of the game where they looked like they could compete. They created far more chances than we did. City may have wavered a bit as the second half went on, but they completely controlled both halves, which we didn't even nearly do against Villa. We had 3 shots 2 on target, 1 of those shots was a halfway line punt .. Villa managed 7 shots 4 on target against us. In that first half they had periods of play where they were seriously scaring us, they took the lead and had chances to increase that.

We were always chasing the game vs City, from the first minute to the last. We had maybe 5 minutes where we got a foot on the ball but that was it. If you can't see the difference between the two games there's no point trying to explain it to you. That's without even getting in to the fact that obviously you'd expect Spurs to perform better vs City than Villa vs Spurs. We're a CL team, they're newly promoted.

It's a dodgy rule, and that's what the discussion is about. It's also a bit dodgy that the ref stopped to give that but VAR didn't intervene when Lamela dragged a player down.
Lmfao “more phases of the game”. They had more possession in the final third than we did against City. That’s literally the TLDR of this entire post.

We deserved to beat Villa and City deserved to beat us. Anything saying otherwise is a completely blinkered view. That’s the TLDR version of my post.

The Lamela thing isn’t very dodgy considering how they’ve been using VAR so far. It’s mainly been used on handballs and offsides. Physical play isn’t getting as closely scrutinized in any of the games played so far. Not that dodgy if you’re watching a number of the games.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Lmfao “more phases of the game”. They had more possession in the final third than we did against City. That’s literally the TLDR of this entire post.

We deserved to beat Villa and City deserved to beat us. Anything saying otherwise is a completely blinkered view. That’s the TLDR version of my post.
Possession doesn't equate to chances. Villa managed to create more dangerous situations than we did vs City. They had more than three times as many shots and double our shots on target.

Obviously we deserved to beat Villa, who is denying that?? The point is that our game vs City was more one sided than us vs Villa. Which it was.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Am I the only one who don't blame VAR for the penalty incident with Lamela on Rodri? As I understand it, as VAR is implemented in the PL those incidents are up to the referee. VAR didn't miss it, the referee did. If the PL wants to change the rules on this, and allow VAR to intervene such as in the world cup then that's a different issue, but if so we will undoubtedly have incidents in corners that VAR don't pick up that could have been a penalty, and people will be screaming then as well. I prefer this way, the referee didn't see it/didn't think it was a penalty, we move on.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Not to mention the decision to overturn the goal was in fact correct. I'd understand the backlash if VAR was wrong in this case. Truth is, if the ref had spotted the handball and promptly ruled out the goal, people would be lauding the guy as if he had the eyes of hawk.
Agree with this 100%, A lot of the VAR ire should be in the new handball rules post.

As for Spurs, they had a deserved win against Villa, no doubt. Should have got nothing against City, woeful performance, deserving of nothing but a loss.

starman

Why are they keep on starting with Eriksen on the bench? Is it supposed to be some kind of punishment for not signing a new deal? Pretty pointless if they need to keep turning to him to get them out of trouble.

Should have sold/sell him or continue as normal. What they are doing makes no sense

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Spurs are suffering from similar problems to United, being that of poor central midfield options. Winks and Sissoko aren't nearly good enough to be the goto midfield choices for a team chasing top four.

Eriksen needs benching too. The guy has clearly lost heart in the Spurs project.

Spurs are suffering from similar problems to United, being that of poor central midfield options. Winks and Sissoko aren't nearly good enough to be the goto midfield choices for a team chasing top four.

Eriksen needs benching too. The guy has clearly lost heart in the Spurs project.
He started on the bench tbh

TheReligion

Abusive
Basically United and Spurs are sharing the same problems.

I do worry as the Erikson and Vertongen situations are difficult and weaken the club. Even Danny Rose isn't really wanted by Poch but is now playing each week. Strange.

AlwaysRed66

But you could see when he did come on that his heart is no longer in the project.

I meant he needs dropping from the squad altogether lest his negativity catches on.
I watched the second half, & he was probably the best Spurs player when he came on. Hardly his fault Kane. Moura & Son couldn't do anything up front. Actually, the only other player who made a difference was Ben Davies who came on late (forgot about him) as he made more dangerous crosses in 10 minutes than the two full backs did the whole half. If only they had someone like Kieran Trippier one of the best crossers in Premier league.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
4 wins in last 15 PL games. All the 4 wins were at home, against Villa, Brighton, Huddersfield and Palace.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Their game today shows how people imagine a football that doesn't exist when analyzing United. When there is not grass to run into, its really hard not to look 'zombie like' as our fans describe. City and sometimes Liverpool look competent against a very low block because they have the most technically brilliant, short players who manage the tight spaces really well. Also they drilled it year after year into perfection. Spurs forum today must have a 'zombie football' thread. Sometimes all you are left with is crossing it and if you don't have the players for it its tough.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Our poor CM options should *hopefully* sort itself out across the season because Ndombele/Lo Celso should eventually start being the regulars. But yeah, at the moment we have poor cm options combined with poor fullback options and that = horrible chance creation.

But other than we have other issues. Kane isn't showing half the same energy he used to in pressing from the front, we're not getting the beast of a player we used to have at the moment. He's incredibly isolated so to an extent it isn't his fault, but something isn't quite right with the way he's coasting in games. The Son/Kane/Lucas front 3 also doesn't work at all against sides who sit back.

We have a lot of issues tbh. At the forefront is the fact we completely need to shake up our fullbacks. KWP is not good enough and it's a joke Trippier wasn't replaced, Rose has been under par for ages and barely looks like he wants to play for the team .. on both sides we're lacking, badly.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
@welby "If we get the 60, OOO stadium, we'll financially wipe the floor with Spurs."

That's a very big IF because the whole project has stalled. In the meantime Spur's income is on course to soon match or exceed that of Chelsea.
It wont matter if Spurs income overtakes Chelsea's, we'll still have enough money to attract quality players. And then there's the fact that we have a proven record of winning major trophies over a long period of time, even winning when we're not that great, including the CL in a year we finished 6th. That's in sharp contrast to the Spurs are bottlers reputation. Spurs look like they are stagnating or even going backwards, while Chelsea are showing signs of promise for the future. Then there's the club's locations which will always be in Chelsea's favour.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Is he still injured now? He's decent for you these past few seasons.
He's been mostly terrible for us recently. Which is a shame because when he broke through he looked like a good DM.

He's just too slow in recycling possession, that's his problem. At least Winks & co. can move the ball on quickly, Dier is far too static and uncomfortable on the ball.

Dier missed pre-season, not sure if he's back from injury yet but he certainly won't be ready to start games. But he's not the answer to any of our questions anyway.

PaulRich

He's been mostly terrible for us recently. Which is a shame because when he broke through he looked like a good DM.

He's just too slow in recycling possession, that's his problem. At least Winks & co. can move the ball on quickly, Dier is far too static and uncomfortable on the ball.

Dier missed pre-season, not sure if he's back from injury yet but he certainly won't be ready to start games. But he's not the answer to any of our questions anyway.
The current MO for the recruitment of a Manchester United midfielder, right there. DO NOT let Ed know ;-)

Bearded One

Our poor CM options should *hopefully* sort itself out across the season because Ndombele/Lo Celso should eventually start being the regulars. But yeah, at the moment we have poor cm options combined with poor fullback options and that = horrible chance creation.

But other than we have other issues. Kane isn't showing half the same energy he used to in pressing from the front, we're not getting the beast of a player we used to have at the moment. He's incredibly isolated so to an extent it isn't his fault, but something isn't quite right with the way he's coasting in games. The Son/Kane/Lucas front 3 also doesn't work at all against sides who sit back.

We have a lot of issues tbh. At the forefront is the fact we completely need to shake up our fullbacks. KWP is not good enough and it's a joke Trippier wasn't replaced, Rose has been under par for ages and barely looks like he wants to play for the team .. on both sides we're lacking, badly.
Spot on. It feels like you pulled the bolded portion of your post straight out of my heart. Watching you play vs Newcastle, what struck me the most was how creativity was lacking from the middle and the full backs. Having said that I think you are still favourites to finish after Liverpool and City even though I secretly hope that you guys encounter a monumental meltdown :devil::angel:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It wont matter if Spurs income overtakes Chelsea's, we'll still have enough money to attract quality players. And then there's the fact that we have a proven record of winning major trophies over a long period of time, even winning when we're not that great, including the CL in a year we finished 6th. That's in sharp contrast to the Spurs are bottlers reputation. Spurs look like they are stagnating or even going backwards, while Chelsea are showing signs of promise for the future. Then there's the club's locations which will always be in Chelsea's favour.
Promise for the future?

Chelsea's stalled stadium project leaves you in an ageing, old-fashioned stadium with a capacity that's 20k less that Spurs' new stadium. Being located in a more fashionable part of London won't change that.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
This is shocking, if true.

Meh, I'll worry more about this season than worrying about last, I would say if you looked at United's, Chelsea's and Arsenal's last 15 they are all pretty bad, I was going to but its too much work while I'm actually supposed to be working :lol:. Need to improve no doubt about it, something is definitely amiss behind the scenes, we have been shite.

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
This is shocking, if true.

Not a surprise. Outside of a fantastic European run (which absolutely papered over the cracks, as I've been saying for ages..) we have been playing very poorly for a while.

We should have dropped out of the top 4 last season, but were saved by Arsenal/United both collapsing at the end. We still ended up behind Chelsea despite them also faltering at the end.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I mentioned this in the build up to the CL final. There's definitely been something off with them since the start of the year.
Something isn't right - not sure what it is. Fingers crossed we can get some decent form again - plenty of good players in the squad now so we have enough there to do it.

acnumber9

As for the second part of your post, for the millionth time you're taking me being frustrated in a fecking match day thread and making out that I thought the team was outright shit. I think we had the odd terrible performance
Not a surprise. Outside of a fantastic European run (which absolutely papered over the cracks, as I've been saying for ages..) we have been playing very poorly for a while.

We should have dropped out of the top 4 last season, but were saved by Arsenal/United both collapsing at the end. We still ended up behind Chelsea despite them also faltering at the end.
I knew it wouldn’t take long for you to change tune and get back to whining endlessly about how bad Spurs have been.

lysglimt

Scout
The season Pochettino took over Spurs they finished 6th with 69 Points with Vertonghen, Lloris, Eriksen and Kane in the squad (ahead of Manchester United).

In Pochettinos 5 season in charge of Spurs - they got 64, 70, 86, 77 and 71 Points - now that is an average of close to 73 Points. During this time they have won .. nothing. And they still have huge gaps in their squad (especially in defense). The fact is - if you look at the Points and table position, they have improved - but not much apart from that one season in 16/17

To all you wanting Pochettino - why ? What is it he has done that makes you think he is the right person ? He has had 5 seasons and they are not gonna be anywhere near Liverpool or City this season either. Not even Close!