2019/20 Rivals - Spurs | Bergwijn out for the remainder of the season

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Alderweireld and Eriksen are leaving for free in 8 months. Both are on salaries that are far below what they could be elsewhere. They're only still at spurs because they're under contract and levy wouldn't sell them. What do you disagree with? What am I making up?
Well, here's one thing you made up ...

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I guess Jose finally got Alderweireld, in a very roundabout kind of way. I was all for getting him in for his release clause, dont know why Woody didnt. Even at 29 what was his clause, 25mil? Seems a pretty good deal to me.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Great news on Toby in at CB, Verts next, Eriksen out and I will be happy. I thought he could change his mind, didn't get on with Poch clearly.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I guess Jose finally got Alderweireld, in a very roundabout kind of way. I was all for getting him in for his release clause, dont know why Woody didnt. Even at 29 what was his clause, 25mil? Seems a pretty good deal to me.
Under contract till he is 33, never was fast and has been injury free for a while good deal. Wonder what the figures are for interests sake.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
Well, here's one thing you made up ...
So you knew all along that he was going to wait until there were 6 months left on his contact to extend it?

It was quite obvious that things were not great between TA (and Eriksen) and the club for the past year or two, and it looked likely that both would leave (still does for Eriksen). Even folks on the Spurs boards are surprised Toby extended. But by all means, feel free to gloat about keeping your past-it center back after the club imploded and manager got sacked.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
So you knew all along that he was going to wait until there were 6 months left on his contact to extend it?

It was quite obvious that things were not great between TA (and Eriksen) and the club for the past year or two, and it looked likely that both would leave (still does for Eriksen). Even folks on the Spurs boards are surprised Toby extended. But by all means, feel free to gloat about keeping your past-it center back after the club imploded and manager got sacked.
What problems between Toby and Eriksen? The problems were with Trippier and finally Poch. I said on here a week or so ago that I wouldn’t be surprised if Toby signed.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
Under contract till he is 33, never was fast and has been injury free for a while good deal. Wonder what the figures are for interests sake.
I saw a tweet from a Spurs site that he's now on 150k per week. That seems about right for getting him to sign at this late juncture. Keeping him on those wages until he's 33 is a big commitment, but quality center backs are so hard to find, and this will give them some time to gradually rebuild the defense.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I saw a tweet from a Spurs site that he's now on 150k per week. That seems about right for getting him to sign at this late juncture. Keeping him on those wages until he's 33 is a big commitment, but quality center backs are so hard to find, and this will give them some time to gradually rebuild the defense.
That’s how I see it, £150k is decent enough, could have got more if he has went of a free TBF to him.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
What problems between Toby and Eriksen? The problems were with Trippier and finally Poch. I said on here a week or so ago that I wouldn’t be surprised if Toby signed.
I meant that each player had an issue with the club, sorry if that was unclear. And that's quite impressive of you. If asked, I also wouldn't have been surprised last week given the managerial change, and likelihood that mourinho is lobbying hard to keep an experienced defender around. But it looked highly likely for the last 1.5 years that TA would be leaving. That was hardly a controversial stance to take.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
That’s how I see it, £150k is decent enough, could have got more if he has went of a free TBF to him.
I think his contract situation was a year too late in his career to cash in on a desirable move. I'm sure a club like Roma or Everton wouldve been happy to give a signing on bonus and wages that exceeded the 3.5 years on 150k from Tottenham, but I doubt any of the really big clubs in Europe want to offer a contract that big at this stage in their career. It makes sense for him to take the nice contract and fresh start under mourinho, who's likely to really value his contribution, and provide a reasonable chance to chase big trophies.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think his contract situation was a year too late in his career to cash in on a desirable move. I'm sure a club like Roma or Everton wouldve been happy to give a signing on bonus and wages that exceeded the 3.5 years on 150k from Tottenham, but I doubt any of the really big clubs in Europe want to offer a contract that big at this stage in their career. It makes sense for him to take the nice contract and fresh start under mourinho, who's likely to really value his contribution, and provide a reasonable chance to chase big trophies.
Certainly makes us more stable, I think Verts is the better defender so hope he signs, can also comer left back.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

No, but then - unlike you - I wasn't the one making definitive statements about his leaving the club. You got it wrong.

As for the club having "imploded": we're into the CL last 16 and well in contention for yet another top 4 finish. If that's an implosion then words lose all meaning.

Irwin99

If they get Vert to sign a deal and buy some new full backs they'll be a very powerful team.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
He's been badly advised by his agent tbh: not because he signed a new contract now, but because he could have signed a new contract at least 2 years ago … so he's missed on out having higher wages for that period.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Pochettino must have wanted to replace him and Toby was frustrated by that. Under a different manager, Toby seems more wanted.

I trust Pochettino judgement more. Spurs defense has been leaking goals and Toby is only going to get slower and less sharper. However, If Spurs can add another defender like Diaz in addition to the center backs they have, that would be good for their team, as they are improving their depth.

Pochettino bought Toby, so he will understand the right center back to replace him. Mourinho on the other hand, gave United Baily and Linderlof. Who are good expensive addition that has not become superstar like Pochettino purchase of Toby. Maybe with a limited budget at Spurs, Mourinho will get better at identifying the right players for his team.

Great news on Toby in at CB, Verts next, Eriksen out and I will be happy. I thought he could change his mind, didn't get on with Poch clearly.
Let’s be honest, it’s more likely that despite his agent hawking him around Europe for 18 months no club wanted to commit to giving him a big contract for 3.5 years. Despite knowing exactly what his transfer fee last year and that he could have been free this summer.

good news for spurs, but no doubt he would have gone if someone had waived a cheque in from of him.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Great news on Toby. Jose clearly rates him highly and has convinced him to stay. Happy days.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Pochettino must have wanted to replace him and Toby was frustrated by that. Under a different manager, Toby seems more wanted.

I trust Pochettino judgement more. Spurs defense has been leaking goals and Toby is only going to get slower and less sharper. However, If Spurs can add another defender like Diaz in addition to the center backs they have, that would be good for their team, as they are improving their depth.

Pochettino bought Toby, so he will understand the right center back to replace him. Mourinho on the other hand, gave United Baily and Linderlof. Who are good expensive addition that has not become superstar like Pochettino purchase of Toby. Maybe with a limited budget at Spurs, Mourinho will get better at identifying the right players for his team.
Poch and Alderweireld seemingly fell out two years ago. There was a lot of public fuss by Toby at the time as he was dropped for a bit, then Poch started playing him again but the inside word was that he would never sign whilst Poch was there, and Poch wanted him gone. Despite all that, the public facing stuff seemed fine (TA getting played and all that).

Now, pretty much as soon a Poch has gone, he's signed. Toby didn't seem to fussed when he was interviewed after the Belgium game and found out about the sacking, either, so it add adds up.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Great news on Toby. Jose clearly rates him highly and has convinced him to stay. Happy days.
Jose has most definitely had a hand in this turn of events. He has a way of influencing his players that few managers can compete with - including Poch.

His next order of business will be to secure the contracts of Vertonghen and Eriksen, I'd imagine.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Well within Spurs 200k/week wages cap.

Jose wanted him here, and I agree with Jose on this one. at 25mil release clause that is a good deal we should have gone for. Guess Woody just wants the next super star rather than moving towards building a functional team.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Let’s be honest, it’s more likely that despite his agent hawking him around Europe for 18 months no club wanted to commit to giving him a big contract for 3.5 years. Despite knowing exactly what his transfer fee last year and that he could have been free this summer.

good news for spurs, but no doubt he would have gone if someone had waived a cheque in from of him.
I love these responses, poor little old Tottenham imagine a player actually wanting to stay. He clearly had a problem with Poch, his interview after his sacking was pretty clear. I for one am happy he signed, and I would say averts will extend too, who IMO is the better player.

I love these responses, poor little old Tottenham imagine a player actually wanting to stay. He clearly had a problem with Poch, his interview after his sacking was pretty clear. I for one am happy he signed, and I would say averts will extend too, who IMO is the better player.
even if that the case, no one wanted him when Pochettino was the manager and last summer he was available for a fixed price.

Will obviously outlast Jose, let’s hope he likes the next manager. As I said previously, good for spurs.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
even if that the case, no one wanted him when Pochettino was the manager and last summer he was available for a fixed price.

Will obviously outlast Jose, let’s hope he likes the next manager. As I said previously, good for spurs.
Correction - he was available for a fixed price only if he actually wanted to go to whatever club offering that price.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Where's Squishy when you need him? Embarrassed at home by his favourite club.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Mourinho loosing to both Ole and Frank, hardly quashing the belief he's lost it does it

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Anyone know why Sanchez is still starting, he is awful.

I assumed it was just due to them being short at LB and having to play Vertonghen there but pretty sure Rose came on as a sub v Chelsea so they can obviously play him there and go back to the Belgian duo as the CBs. Of course you still have the big issue of Aurier at RB....

I'd be interested who Mourinho actually signs for decent money in the full back positions considering he was constantly whining at Man. United about not having the money to sign the players Man. City could.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We are beyond shite this season, its painful to watch us play.

Sissoko and Aurier make me want to bang my head against a wall and Sanchez often isn't far behind (though he was ok against Chelsea).

That triangle of stupidity is so dangerous.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So Spurs fans, Mourinho out yet?

Got to be looking at his worst start at a new club surely?

Apart from getting Alli scoring again I can't see what he's changed

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
6 Wins
1 Draw
4 Losses
55% Win Rate
23 Goals Scored
18 Conceded
1 Clean Sheet

Result​