2019/20 Rivals - Spurs | Bergwijn out for the remainder of the season

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What are your plans for fullbacks? I know Rose and Walker-Peters aren't the best but letting both of them go out on loan leaves you desperately short in those positions. Aurier is full of mistakes and that Tanganga bloke isn't ready at all for PL football.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
What are your plans for fullbacks? I know Rose and Walker-Peters aren't the best but letting both of them go out on loan leaves you desperately short in those positions. Aurier is full of mistakes and that Tanganga bloke isn't ready at all for PL football.
Well here was Glaston's response to my question with the same points about Tanganga not being good enough for a team chasing top 4 and playing in the CL.

You've no evidence to say that. In fact he's looked very good so far in the limited chances he's had to play RB. So far, under Mourinho, he's played RB, CB and LB.
Because looking good and being top 4 and CL level are the same in Glaston world. I mean he could mature into a great RB, in 4 years time. Sessegnon will take up the reigns at LB, Davies will rotate when he comes back from injury I'd imagine.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Well here was Glaston's response to my question with the same points about Tanganga not being good enough for a team chasing top 4 and playing in the CL.

Because looking good and being top 4 and CL level are the same in Glaston world. I mean he could mature into a great RB, in 4 years time. Sessegnon will take up the reigns at LB, Davies will rotate when he comes back from injury I'd imagine.
The point is that, with no supporting evidence, you claimed that Tanganga was far from being top 4 quality.

I have not said definitively that he is top 4/CL quality, merely that so far he's looked good … whereas you appear to have taken his "looking good so far" and bizarrely translated it into him being "far" from top 4/ CL quality.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
For LB we have Ben Davies (when returns from injury) and Sessegnon being groomed for this position IMO. In the meantime we can play Vertonghen there, or even Tanganga (in fact it's where he's been deployed in the last two games, even though he's a right-sided player).

For RB, Aurier has improved a lot since he first arrived - makes fewer mistakes and is more of an attacking threat. As for Tanganga, there is no evidence at all that he "isn't ready at all for PL football" - quite the opposite in fact.

We also have 3 other players who have played in the RB position at various times: Dier, Foyth and Sanchez.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Why? Like I said before hasn't put a foot wrong since he came in. Davies should be returning from injury soon, but yeah we are light there.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Tanganga has looked good when he has come in and not out of place at all in the Premiership - he could develop into an excellent player and he is ready for the first team right now. Aurier has improved a lot since Jose has come in and is actually a very effective player - can we do better? Yes we can but for now he will be fine till the end of the season. Davies will be a very important player for Jose when he returns from injury because of his ability to slot into a back 3 naturally and we also have Sessegnon bedding in as a left-back - he has done nothing wrong and appears fairly solid but there is a lot of development needed with him.

I think what we have is decent but will need looked at in the summer.

Supports
England
Anyone enough of a dipshit to still defend that meme idea of Spurs being better without Kane?

I'm gutted he's injured. The only positive has been creating a long run of games with which to illustrate the complete idiocy of a large number of football fans.

I manually calculated a record of Spurs' last 19 games in all comps without Kane: W5 D5 L9. Being exactly half a PL season, 19 games is a good sample size. To give a sense of scale, a team with that record extrapolated to a full season would be relegated. (You could argue that using "all comps" stats for extrapolation to the PL is unfair and I would agree: more than half of those non-PL games were against Middleborough and Colchester)

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
Why? Like I said before hasn't put a foot wrong since he came in. Davies should be returning from injury soon, but yeah we are light there.
I don't think Jose will want you to play with a two attacking full back system hence letting those two move on. At United he would allow one to go forward but it meant the other would sit. I just don't think he'll be keen on two bombing up and down together and generally giving you width.

Aurier has improved under Jose but he seems to have been absolved of defensive duties (one way of stopping his fatal errors I guess).

It's interesting really. Not sure Walker Peters will make it as he's 22 pushing 23 this year and should be breaking though rather than going on loan. I'd potential write him off. Sessignon I feel will become a winger and in any sense doesn't yet have the skill as a defender Jose will look for.

Your summer business will be fun as you do need a rebuild. Do you trust Jose with it and do you have the funds?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I don't think Jose will want you to play with a two attacking full back system hence letting those two move on. At United he would allow one to go forward but it meant the other would sit. I just don't think he'll be keen on two bombing up and down together and generally giving you width.

Aurier has improved under Jose but he seems to have been absolved of defensive duties (one way of stopping his fatal errors I guess).

It's interesting really. Not sure Walker Peters will make it as he's 22 pushing 23 this year and should be breaking though rather than going on loan. I'd potential write him off. Sessignon I feel will become a winger and in any sense doesn't yet have the skill as a defender Jose will look for.

Your summer business will be fun as you do need a rebuild. Do you trust Jose with it and do you have the funds?
I wont judge him on his past, would be pointless to do so. The players he has brought in so far seem positive, GLC in he last few games have really impressed me and he seems to have oked this before he needed to. The Portuguese kid and Bergwin are both young and seem to have a certain amount of rep with them so so far he has been positive rather than reverting to what everyone said he would do with us.

He is either with us simply to pick up a paycheck or he is with us to prove he isn't washed up, hasn't been here long enough to make a balanced choice one way or the other.

TheReligion

Abusive
I wont judge him on his past, would be pointless to do so. The players he has brought in so far seem positive, GLC in he last few games have really impressed me and he seems to have oked this before he needed to. The Portuguese kid and Bergwin are both young and seem to have a certain amount of rep with them so so far he has been positive rather than reverting to what everyone said he would do with us.

He is either with us simply to pick up a paycheck or he is with us to prove he isn't washed up, hasn't been here long enough to make a balanced choice one way or the other.
I think he wants to prove he's still relevant. Absolutely. The question is has he still got it and can be adapt. One thing I picked up from his tenure here was he was given everything he needed yet still couldn't adapt his methods to succeed. United was his dream job and whilst I'm sure there were issues behind the scenes (which he'll encounter with Levy) he was given money and allowed to do as he liked. That said he still failed and still made the same mistakes tactically and in handling some of our players.

I don't want Jose to flop but I'm not convinced he has what it takes to adapt any more. He's a very proud and stubborn man as was Fergie but the difference between the two was longevity and the willingness to adapt.

With regards to his business Lo Celso wasn't one of his really but the PSV player (can't spell his name) is interesting despite me not convinced he's next level. Gedson again is a punt and could be good or could be another flop like the other lad who ended up at Swansea.

Summer we shall see who Jose wants.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think he wants to prove he's still relevant. Absolutely. The question is has he still got it and can be adapt. One thing I picked up from his tenure here was he was given everything he needed yet still couldn't adapt his methods to succeed. United was his dream job and whilst I'm sure there were issues behind the scenes (which he'll encounter with Levy) he was given money and allowed to do as he liked. That said he still failed and still made the same mistakes tactically and in handling some of our players.

I don't want Jose to flop but I'm not convinced he has what it takes to adapt any more. He's a very proud and stubborn man as was Fergie but the difference between the two was longevity and the willingness to adapt.

With regards to his business Lo Celso wasn't one of his really but the PSV player (can't spell his name) is interesting despite me not convinced he's next level. Gedson again is a punt and could be good or could be another flop like the other lad who ended up at Swansea.

Summer we shall see who Jose wants.
No lo Celso wasn't but he had till the end of the season to pull the trigger on it, depending on if we had got top 4. I'm still happy with him here and can only hope it goes well, lets see if there is any more movement by tomorrow.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not massively confident - I'd take a draw now if offered.
You've got quite a tough home schedule left. After Man. City, home games with Wolves (lost that last season), West Ham (also lost last year), Man. United. Everton, Arsenal and Leicester.

Given the continued poor away form since the change of manager and this could be Spurs lowest points haul in over a decade.

The season where Vilas Boas got sacked and Sherwood took over Spurs actually finished with 69 points which amazed me (that haul would get comfortably top 4 this season). Even in 2008/09 "2 points from 8 games" etc you clawed yourself up to 51 points which is still a good 5 wins away.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Anyone enough of a dipshit to still defend that meme idea of Spurs being better without Kane?

I'm gutted he's injured. The only positive has been creating a long run of games with which to illustrate the complete idiocy of a large number of football fans.

I manually calculated a record of Spurs' last 19 games in all comps without Kane: W5 D5 L9. Being exactly half a PL season, 19 games is a good sample size. To give a sense of scale, a team with that record extrapolated to a full season would be relegated. (You could argue that using "all comps" stats for extrapolation to the PL is unfair and I would agree: more than half of those non-PL games were against Middleborough and Colchester)
So did Spurs bother to sign a striker as backup? Given Kane is out for the rest of the season most likely. Although I'm sure Spurs will rush him back and he will still be injured and look pants or re-injure himself.

This I thought would have been top priority, and they rush out and buy Bergwijn, bizarre.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mourinho's ready made excuse then for rest of the season.

Would imagine they'll just continue to play Son. Not ideal but he's filled the role in previous seasons and scored good amount of goals.

TheReligion

Abusive
This isn't a dig at spurs but it's crazy to think that only recently they had Rose, Walker, Tripper as full back options and Erikson in the middle. Now they've all gone and are all still really good players.

Can't help but think if they get summer wrong it's all down hill from here. Everything they built is being dismantled.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This isn't a dig at spurs but it's crazy to think that only recently they had Rose, Walker, Tripper as full back options and Erikson in the middle. Now they've all gone and are all still really good players.

Can't help but think if they get summer wrong it's all down hill from here. Everything they built is being dismantled.
I think they'll spend big in the summer.

Jose wouldn't have taken the job without assurances from Levy that funds would be made available in the summer, nor okayed the departure of Rose and the others in the winter window.

Supports
England
So did Spurs bother to sign a striker as backup? Given Kane is out for the rest of the season most likely. Although I'm sure Spurs will rush him back and he will still be injured and look pants or re-injure himself.

This I thought would have been top priority, and they rush out and buy Bergwijn, bizarre.
Looks like we have our answer: no. I don't know what's going on there, mate, and I reckon that unless there's some behind the scenes knowledge that Kane is recovering at a superhuman speed to be back by March, top 4 is all ogre.

That said, I get the problem: they needed a good striker for half a season who they wouldn't have to provide any long-term commitment to after Kane returns. Contrary to what some Spurs fans have said elsewhere, I don't think that buying a Llorente-alike fill-in for the sake of having a striker would make much difference.

It's clear that their two main problems up front are that their current style of play demands a decent target man and that they're struggling to finish even high-percentage chances when they come. With Kane being the best in the squad, by quite some distance, at doing both things, I don't know if the addition of Bergwijn alone will be enough to compensate for what they've lost in Kane.

Contrary to another absurd yet oddly popular belief, Son is not a drop-in Kane replacement, despite the Koreans and some of his other assorted fanboys on the cock forum assuring me that the former would get a better statistical return at CF than big daddy Kane.

If Spurs fans are underappreciating Kane, you know it's bad (though I should clarify that it's very far from all of them: a TFC poll of 200 members determined that Kane was Spurs' best player by a two-thirds margin -- and this was right in the middle of that window where Son was briefly perceived to be challenging Kane for the title of their most important player and many recency-biased supporters of other clubs with very little evidence had decided that Son was better). I hope the next few months serve as a reminder never to take your loyal world class players for granted. But I also hope it's not too painful for Spurs fans.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Well that was unexpected, our last 2 games we have looked impressive. Yeah we rode our luck today but we’re clinical with out finishing. What a debut from Steve, looks a baller.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Tanganga has been solid, but has seemingly flown under the radar of everyone so far.

20 years old (21 end of march) and has played for every English age group up to the U20s - but never the U21s, and hasn't exactly been spoken about in the same way that Edwards, Shiloh Tracey, KWP, or Shashoua were within the fan community. It's as if he's suddenly gone from being another number, to a top prospect.

He played in the Audi cup in the summer, but there's a long list of youth prospects who Poch played in the summer and then released or banished to obscurity.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Tanganga has been solid, but has seemingly flown under the radar of everyone so far.

20 years old (21 end of march) and has played for every English age group up to the U20s - but never the U21s, and hasn't exactly been spoken about in the same way that Edwards, Shiloh Tracey, KWP, or Shashoua were within the fan community. It's as if he's suddenly gone from being another number, to a top prospect.

He played in the Audi cup in the summer, but there's a long list of youth prospects who Poch played in the summer and then released or banished to obscurity.
Like him, very versatile but needs to nail down a position, I haven’t seen much of him anywhere else but left back and looks composed.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Even without Eriksen, there’s some really really good players in that spurs squad. They just need a more solid spine as well as full backs and they’ll be right up there. Getting that kind of business sorted is easier said than done though. The defence does look really bad at times unless they’re sat in their own box which they’re not resolute enough to do without still conceding.

Interesting to see how it goes. Less funds than united and better players but it’s still the same question of whether he can adapt a little and whether asking Jose to adapt is actually an exercise with merit. He’s definitely trying despite what people think at times.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Did right in shifting out that lazy arse Eriksen, he definitely would have stunk up the place if he was still in the team today. The Bergwijn lad looks good.

bonothom

Are Spurs fans happy with playing like that? I know the result is great but 80 minutes of being dominated by the opponent on your ground and having 3 shots all game and 2 that luckily went in. It's a bloody awful way of playing. It's like saying "we're not as good as you, so we'll see if we can get lucky and rely on you to be shit in front of goal". I used to hate Mourinho doing that at United and that's why the majority of fans wanted him out. The ironic thing is Solskjaer is just as bad in his style of play and yet the same fans who hated on Mourinho think it's OK for Solskjaer to play this shit way. Not me by the way, I want Solskjaer gone.

bonothom

Interesting to see how it goes. Less funds than united and better players but it’s still the same question of whether he can adapt a little and whether asking Jose to adapt is actually an exercise with merit. He’s definitely trying despite what people think at times.
How in the hell is Mourinho adapting? 3 shots on goal at home is depressingly negative, just as he was at United.

bonothom

I think they'll spend big in the summer.

Jose wouldn't have taken the job without assurances from Levy that funds would be made available in the summer, nor okayed the departure of Rose and the others in the winter window.
That's what Ed told him. Look how that played out.

romufc

The ironic thing is Solskjaer is just as bad in his style of play and yet the same fans who hated on Mourinho think it's OK for Solskjaer to play this shit way. Not me by the way, I want Solskjaer gone.
Jose played the same way too, playing like that for 3/4 games a season and getting a result is better than what Arsenal try to do against the big teams and that is attack and get beat 3/4 nil

Nickelodeon

It's a matter of anyone who can put together any sort of run. Spurs have a manager who has the most pedigree (on paper at least) and seems the most likely to put it together. Chelsea are awful and highlight the difference between the treatment United get as compared to competitors. Sheffield United and Wolves will keep failing in the odd games to stay away from contention. Had Arsenal had any sort of a new manager bounce, they could've been in contention.

Our injuries have ensured that any hopes of the top 4 are over and the coming fixtures are more likely to get us in the bottom half than the top 4. Praying to survive in Europa till Pogba, Rashford etc. come back to have any hopes of CL football next year. We desperately need a more capable manager to guide us during this crisis.

But right now, I would bet my money on Spurs for the top 4 slot.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
How in the hell is Mourinho adapting? 3 shots on goal at home is depressingly negative, just as he was at United.
He’s trying to get the team playing football, there is no long balls really and he’s trying to get the team playing fast counter attacking football. Also he didn’t go out and buy *old heads* and is trying to get players like GLC and NDombele playing after slow starts due to injury. IMO he’s have solid start and things are improving.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Are Spurs fans happy with playing like that? I know the result is great but 80 minutes of being dominated by the opponent on your ground and having 3 shots all game and 2 that luckily went in. It's a bloody awful way of playing. It's like saying "we're not as good as you, so we'll see if we can get lucky and rely on you to be shit in front of goal". I used to hate Mourinho doing that at United and that's why the majority of fans wanted him out. The ironic thing is Solskjaer is just as bad in his style of play and yet the same fans who hated on Mourinho think it's OK for Solskjaer to play this shit way. Not me by the way, I want Solskjaer gone.
Its 3 points, he istrying to integrate new players, players back from injury and only 3 months in. A win against City, I love take it all day long. I doubt he plans on that every week, saybwhat you want about Jose he can set his teams up in various ways and change his style. So far I’m behind him, and no I wasn’t a fan of his before he came, when he’s isn’t at your club he is hard not to like.

redmeister

I heard that based on games played since Mourinho took over, Tottenham are 3rd in the table.