2019/20 Rivals - Wolverhampton Wanderers

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Great job by main rival Wolves hopefully progressing in the Europa League.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
Wolves a few thousand miles away from transfer window madness. Currently 3-0 up away to Pyunik.
Finished 4-0 goals from Docherty, Jimenez and neves. Good lead to take into the home game next Thursday, be able to rest some first team players.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Torino will be a tough decider for you boys. 50/50 tie I think. They have some excellent attackers like Belotti and Falque but defence isn't so hot. Whoever gets an away goal will go through.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Torino will be a tough decider for you boys. 50/50 tie I think. They have some excellent attackers like Belotti and Falque but defence isn't so hot. Whoever gets an away goal will go through.
Serie A is trash they'll batter 'em no worries.

maybe

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
I agree probably the toughest we could have got out of the teams drawn

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
Nine changes from Nuno tonight so most of the first team rested for Monday.
4-0 in the second leg 8-0 aggregate score. Setting up a tasty tie in Italy next Thursday against Torino

lysglimt

Scout
Decent performance and result set up.nicely for the return leg
Clearly indicates what a crap team Wolves are and OGS should be sacked as a result of only getting a draw against them away from home.

Red00012

I’m starting to dislike them as much as I dislike Burnley, we find it difficult to beat them.

Although their persistent fouling Monday night and Big Moss letting them get away with it also doesn’t help.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
As much as torino were disappointing, wolves were fairly impressive. Particularly their mentality and organization

We'll see what impact EL will have on their season, but they really do look like a good outfit. Top 8 in the PL i would say

And they're even starting to make a player out of Adama Traoré :lol:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
As much as torino were disappointing, wolves were fairly impressive. Particularly their mentality and organization

We'll see what impact EL will have on their season, but they really do look like a good outfit. Top 8 in the PL i would say

And they're even starting to make a player out of Adama Traoré :lol:
It's good to see them have a go at the EL though. I can't understand for the life of me why the likes of Leicester rest players in the FA Cup or League Cup for example, it's their only chance at silverware and who cares whether they finish 8th or 10th...

I think 6th/7th and no EL, or 10th and (perhaps) a knock-out tie in the Europa League would be a no-brainer for most Wolves fans.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
Good 2-1 win tonight 5-3 on aggregate. Safely through to the group stages. 6 wins out of 6 in Europa so far.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Well done to Wolves, fantastic couple of seasons for them.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's really impressive what wolves have done with essentially a bunch of rejects, guys who couldn't buy a game to save their lives in inferior leagues, or didn't even look like professional footballers as early as a couple years ago(Jimenez was so hilariously overmatched at Atletico it wasn't even funny. Now he's an excellent striker)

Kudos to Nuno, and also Jorge Mendes won the jackpot with wolves

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
They’re a good side but having played 10 games already (6 in Europa, albeit 6 wins) is catching up with them in the League and we haven’t even got to the Thursday-Sunday schedule yet.

They’re fortunate to not find themselves bottom on zero points.

- Leicester should have beaten them
- Pogba let them off the hook
- A 95th minute penalty from a dive to save a point at home vs Burnley
- A loss today against a good Everton side

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens to them when the Europa group games start.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
They’re a good side but having played 10 games already (6 in Europa, albeit 6 wins) is catching up with them in the League and we haven’t even got to the Thursday-Sunday schedule yet.

They’re fortunate to not find themselves bottom on zero points.

- Leicester should have beaten them
- Pogba let them off the hook
- A 95th minute penalty from a dive to save a point at home vs Burnley
- A loss today against a good Everton side

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens to them when the Europa group games start.
We've been playing Thursday/Sunday since the start of season
We played at Leicester 48hrs after a 6k mile round trip and if not for a disallowed goal would have won that
Burnley was 48 hours after a tough tie in Italy. It is affecting our league form no doubt. we'll have to get used to it. There's only a few points separating top from bottom at this stage.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We played at Leicester 48hrs after a 6k mile round trip and if not for a disallowed goal would have won that
Burnley was 48 hours after a tough tie in Italy. It is affecting our league form no doubt. we'll have to get used to it. There's only a few points separating top from bottom at this stage.
I thought you were good going forward yesterday but midfield and defensively you were a massive letdown.

Neves was really poor and we found it very easy to exploit you. Although you had a couple of chances yourselves I didn’t feel the same strength that you had last season and you can tell that the extra minutes is hampering you.

I’m surprised you didn’t spray it out to Traore more often too. He’s not a great footballer but he will beat the fullback 9/10. Surprising.

You have more than enough to stay up but wouldn’t be surprised if you finish around 10th/11th this season.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I said it early on I don't think there is enough depth in this squad IMO. Nuno kept it a small squad similar to last season and that will cost them many points throughout the season.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I think Leicester should have had that game wrapped up in the first half which seems to be the case for each game I see Wolves play in the league. Burnley was on the Sunday wasn’t it?

hocane

I think teams are starting to figure them out.
Teams won't over commit with people forward when playing against them. Wolves main strength is counter attacking and they are very good at it. Do you limit that you limit Wolves.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They were flat yesterday. Obviously really poor at the back but so many simple passes that just went to Everton players (Everton passing was poor aswell). Interesting to see what Nuno does for Chelsea with Boly suspended and Ryan Bennett playing like a non league defender atm.

In normal circumstances Wolves would have a real chance of at least finishing 6th but honestly think Thursday-Sunday is going to be too much for them. Nuno did actually rotate with Moutinho and Jota on the bench.

Actually well down on the points they got last season atm, beat Burnley, Everton and Man. United last season. Chelsea at home next who they also beat....

Would say though Raul Jimenez is one of my favourite number 9s to watch in the league. Love his style and he knows how to poach a goal. Man. United could've done with him at this point.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
I thought you were good going forward yesterday but midfield and defensively you were a massive letdown.

Neves was really poor and we found it very easy to exploit you. Although you had a couple of chances yourselves I didn’t feel the same strength that you had last season and you can tell that the extra minutes is hampering you.

I’m surprised you didn’t spray it out to Traore more often too. He’s not a great footballer but he will beat the fullback 9/10. Surprising.

You have more than enough to stay up but wouldn’t be surprised if you finish around 10th/11th this season.

Missed the black cat from last season. :). I agree with your assessment and I think having gone strong into the Europa league games (rather than playing kids and being knocked out) 10th would be about right.
Defensively we were awful yesterday and deserved that result, but lots of teams will go to Everton and lose.

Chipper

Adulterer.
To be fair it's been a reasonably tough set of fixtures for them to start the season with barring Burnley at home. Everton and Leicester away are going to be hard games for many a team and as much as we think we're shit, we're not the worst team out there.

I think Leicester should have had that game wrapped up in the first half which seems to be the case for each game I see Wolves play in the league. Burnley was on the Sunday wasn’t it?
It was. The 48 hour thing is a bit of a misnomer, it's more like 65. Still not easy mind, especially if your opponents had more rest than that.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
To be fair it's been a reasonably tough set of fixtures for them to start the season with barring Burnley at home. Everton and Leicester away are going to be hard games for many a team and as much as we think we're shit, we're not the worst team out there.

It was. The 48 hour thing is a bit of a misnomer, it's more like 65. Still not easy mind, especially if your opponents had more rest than that.
They have had a tough set of fixtures, agree with that, but as someone pointed out above they're already doing worse than the corresponding fixtures last season.

stubie

The priority early on was always to qualify for the group stages of the Europa League, now that has been done they can balance their schedule better

And this theory about small squad and too many games, they played 46 league games 2 seasons ago in the Championship with a similar squad size

Chipper

Adulterer.
They have had a tough set of fixtures, agree with that, but as someone pointed out above they're already doing worse than the corresponding fixtures last season.
True enough, I suppose they'll be hoping they can turn it around in equivalent fixtures against other teams. They famously had a poorish record against some of the lesser teams last season, including 2 defeats against Huddersfield. :lol: If they beat more of the teams they 'should' beat this time while not getting the same results against the better ones they might well end up in about the same place.

I hope they don't as Ive never been keen on them so I'm being diplomatic here.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Of course not a great league start but.......
Leicester away: Draw is a positive result
Manchester United home: Draw is a positive result
Burnley home: Of course a draw isn't a positive result but it was never a easy game for them after the game at Torino just three days earlier
Everton away: You can lose at Everton and Everton were just the better side

They have qualified for the Europa League against Torino is fantastic and i think they will be fine without major injuries.