Music 2019 in music

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Finally got around to listen the Whites Lies album Five released in February and it's very very good.
I enjoyed the 1st album To Lose My Life but wasn't impressed with the next 2 hence why i've put off listening to Five for this long.
Recommend a listen.

Loublaze

ATLien
I love Nas but he's quite clearly been past it for a long time. Chemical Brothers kind of the same. Emma Bunton??

If your post was in 1999 I'd maybe agree.
This is harsh :lol:. It does sound like a joke though, especially the Emma Bunton bit, she may have evolved over the years. I can't speak for the new stuff the Chemical brothers have out but a lot of these veterans are putting out solid new material that largely falls off the radar. Nas's last album Nasir from 2018 was pretty dope, not vintage stuff but tracks like 'Cops shot the kid' and 'Everything' were really good. 'Everything' is easily one of the best tracks he's ever put out IMO, and 'Life is good' was another good album, 2010's collaboration with Damian Marley 'Distant relatives' is a classic in my eyes

Last edited:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
After seeing all the memes about I decided to actually listen to Billie Eilish and was surprised to find I actually didn’t hate it.

Nickosaur

I really like IGOR. New National is a bit meh. Mac deMarco is meh too.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
After seeing all the memes about I decided to actually listen to Billie Eilish and was surprised to find I actually didn’t hate it.
I quite liked it.

I really like IGOR. New National is a bit meh. Mac deMarco is meh too.
Agree on Igor, think the new National album is a lot better than meh, think the new deMarco album is a lot worse than meh.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Igor is good, production is incredible, the singing/rapping takes it down a level for me though but I still enjoyed it.

New Hot Chip and Tame Impala stuff will be great for the summer festival playlist.

Really don’t like the new Foals stuff which sucks as I’m seeing them next month.

Bloody love the new slowthai album. Probably my favourite this year so far.

Nickosaur

I quite liked it.

Agree on Igor, think the new National album is a lot better than meh, think the new deMarco album is a lot worse than meh.
May have been too harsh on National and too easy on Mac. I've listened to them a few more times and National is growing on me like it always does. Mac's just seems more of the same - although that's fine with me as i loved This Old Dog.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I actually regret wasting time listening to the new Morrissey album.

Someone who goes out of their way to be so obnoxious really needs to release better music than he has in recent years.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
What do we think of King Gizzard's efforts this year? After a 2018 hiatus they first came out with a blues/boogie/psych (with a bit of electronica) album (Fishing for Fishies) and then a full on thrash metal album (Infest the Rat's Nest).

I'm on board with both of them, but surprisingly mostly the latter. I'm not usually into thrash but here we are. Although "Acarine" from the former is an absolute tune.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
What do we think of King Gizzard's efforts this year? After a 2018 hiatus they first came out with a blues/boogie/psych (with a bit of electronica) album (Fishing for Fishies) and then a full on thrash metal album (Infest the Rat's Nest).

I'm on board with both of them, but surprisingly mostly the latter. I'm not usually into thrash but here we are. Although "Acarine" from the former is an absolute tune.
Hiatus :lol:

That's on way to put it, ridiculously productive band.

Their thrash album is very good. Such an interesting band.

Also if people have been living under a rock both Slipknot and Tool released new albums. Slipknot is sort of more of the same from their last album and Tool has some cracking tunes. T7empest is vintage Tool.

Maagge

Hiatus :lol:

That's on way to put it, ridiculously productive band.

Their thrash album is very good. Such an interesting band.

Also if people have been living under a rock both Slipknot and Tool released new albums. Slipknot is sort of more of the same from their last album and Tool has some cracking tunes. T7empest is vintage Tool.
I mean it's a hiatus for them, I guess. I found out about them in 2014 and 2018 was the first year they didn't put out at least one album, I think.
But yeah, very interesting band. They can do everything to such a high level that you can basically get all your rock related needs from them. Ridiculous.

HarlanEiffler

I can't stress enough how ridiculously good the new Knocked Loose album is. Such high quality production, and they are absolutely exploding onto the scene with the record. Still so very young as well...

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Wasn't sure about this album when I first heard it, struggled to get past how obviously it was influenced by 70s singer/ songwriters. I've come to love it, with this being one of the many highlights.

Snow

I mean it's a hiatus for them, I guess. I found out about them in 2014 and 2018 was the first year they didn't put out at least one album, I think.
But yeah, very interesting band. They can do everything to such a high level that you can basically get all your rock related needs from them. Ridiculous.
They were actually touring the whole year which you can't do as much if you are always recording a new album.

Maagge

They were actually touring the whole year which you can't do as much if you are always recording a new album.
To be fair they toured quite a bit in 2017 but still managed to put out five solid records as well as organising Gizzfest. Ridiculous productivity from the lads. :D

Snow

To be fair they toured quite a bit in 2017 but still managed to put out five solid records as well as organising Gizzfest. Ridiculous productivity from the lads. :D
I think I'm gonna binge them now after having listened to nothing but Tool for the past 10 days or so.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Listening to Lana Del Rey for the first time with her new album. Really like it, a little dream-poppy, a bit more slow and sad maybe, but still really enjoy it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
New albums by Danny Brown, Angel Olsen and Nick cave in the same week? Yes please.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
DIIV's Deceiver that came out a couple of days ago is my favourite album so far this year I think :drool:

Last edited:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
The new Turnover album came out today (well yesterday now) and I love it. My vinyl preorder arrived but I also bought another signed copy :drool:

Still In Motion is one of my new favourite album openers, love when it kicks in at 0:45