Music 2019 in music

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
James Blake, Sharon Van Etten and Deerhunter have all released albums already, which is a nice start to the year. Hope I like the new James Blake album more than I did his last.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
New MBV album or EP for the glass is half full types. Maybe even a tour.

Sgt.Major

New Mgla above everything else.
Also Teitanblood, Darkthrone, Ares Kingdom, Dead Congregation, King Diamond, Furia, Dodheimsgard, Misery Index...

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
2 new Vampire Weekend tracks after about 6 years since MVOTC which I still love.

Harmony Hall sounds great, got a little Finger Back reference in it. But I don't wanna diiieeeeee.

Eckers99

The Sharon Van Etten album is really good. Haven't listened to much of her early stuff but I'll definitely dig into her back catalogue based on this one.

Eckers99

I live in hope. Would take another load of NTS Sessions from Autechre though.
Yeah, they're on my list too. Only heard bits of Autechre but I'll commit to the sessions soon. Keep me going until BoC release something!

Loublaze

ATLien
The new Deerhunter album 'why hasn't everything already disappeared' is really fecking good. The last track 'Nocturne' a standout for me. 8/10

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
This is too good

stepic

The Sharon Van Etten album is really good. Haven't listened to much of her early stuff but I'll definitely dig into her back catalogue based on this one.
definitely check out 'are we there'. great album.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hozier has a new album out today. i think he's great.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Hozier has a new album out today. i think he's great.
Not a patch on his debut. Got bored on the second listen. He's an odd one, 'cause he's a great songwriter but this album sounds like he had nothing to write about.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Amazing though Mark Kozelek's best stuff is, I'm over done with his post-Benji meandering albums seemingly about little and nothing. Tried listening to both his new Sun Kil Moon album and the one from 2018 today and..... yeah no.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Already released:

Sundara Karma - Ulfilas' Alphabet
Bring Me The Horizon - amo
Dave - Psychodrama
grandson - A Modern Tragedy Vol. 2

To be released:

The 1975 - Notes On A Conditional Form
Catfish and the Bottlemen - The Balance
YONAKA - Don't Wait 'Til Tomorrow

bucky

I am going to see them live in Berlin at the beginning of May. Can't wait!

Ludens the Red

Already released:

Sundara Karma - Ulfilas' Alphabet
Bring Me The Horizon - amo
Dave - Psychodrama
grandson - A Modern Tragedy Vol. 2

To be released:

The 1975 - Notes On A Conditional Form
Catfish and the Bottlemen - The Balance
YONAKA - Don't Wait 'Til Tomorrow
What did you make of amo?
I personally hated it at first but half the album has grown on me but the other half is very meh.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
What did you make of amo?
I personally hated it at first but half the album has grown on me but the other half is very meh.
I wasn't really a fan of BMTH before, but I really enjoyed amo. Nice range of sounds without ever feeling disjointed as an album.

Nickosaur

I am going to see them live in Berlin at the beginning of May. Can't wait!
I only discovered this album a few days ago and I absolutely adore it already.

Always been a big fan of Conor but Phoebe Bridgers is great too.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The Comet is Coming anyone? Space-jazz or whatever. Plenty of electronic touches too. It's the same saxophonist who's heading Sons of Kemet.

Notorious

I want to hear the new albums from Lana Del Rey, The Chemical Brothers, Emma Bunton and Nas.

HarlanEiffler

Two releases I have been looking forward to came out so far.

One is just pure goodness. La Dispute's Epitaph debut Panorama is incredible.

The second is surprisingly decent. I didn't think PUP had another good album in them. Morbid Stuff is really nice to listen to.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
No, why would you think it's a joke? The likes of the Chemical Brothers and Nas are amongst the best their genres of music have to offer...
I love Nas but he's quite clearly been past it for a long time. Chemical Brothers kind of the same. Emma Bunton??

If your post was in 1999 I'd maybe agree.

Notorious

I love Nas but he's quite clearly been past it for a long time.

Chemical Brothers kind of the same. Emma Bunton?? If your post was in 1999 I'd maybe agree.
You say Nas is clearly passed it but his last proper album 'Life is Good' received universal acclaim on metacritic. I'm not including Nasir because that was just like some rushed Kanye West side project. I don't think Nas has been truly great since Stillmatic/Lost Tapes/Gods Son. I'll admit that I've never really given Kendrick Lamar a proper listen to see what all the fuss is about but who else is there now. Let me make it clear I'm only interested in hearing rappers that are technically on the same level as a Nas or Eminem, or I'm not interested.

The new Chemical Brothers album is getting great reviews on metacritic so far, at the moment it has a higher score than their last five albums, I should also point out that none of their albums have received bad reviews. So I don't see how this is a joke either, you're welcome to think they are "past it" but clearly others don't.:smirk: Lets see how it charts this week, who is around now that does what the Chemical Brothers do better than them. As for Emma Bunton, maybe you should ask yourself this question, are their artists you like just because you love their voice...obviously not Bob Dylan...

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I’ve just been listening to this on repeat since it came out and it’s great. Slow grower for me but I can’t get enough now

This is probably the best song ft Hayley Williams not really being Hayley Williams

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You say Nas is clearly passed it but his last proper album 'Life is Good' received universal acclaim on metacritic. I'm not including Nasir because that was just like some rushed Kanye West side project. I don't think Nas has been truly great since Stillmatic/Lost Tapes/Gods Son. I'll admit that I've never really given Kendrick Lamar a proper listen to see what all the fuss is about but who else is there now. Let me make it clear I'm only interested in hearing rappers that are technically on the same level as a Nas or Eminem, or I'm not interested.

The new Chemical Brothers album is getting great reviews on metacritic so far, at the moment it has a higher score than their last five albums, I should also point out that none of their albums have received bad reviews. So I don't see how this is a joke either, you're welcome to think they are "past it" but clearly others don't.:smirk: Lets see how it charts this week, who is around now that does what the Chemical Brothers do better than them. As for Emma Bunton, maybe you should ask yourself this question, are their artists you like just because you love their voice...obviously not Bob Dylan...
Each to their own I guess. Rap has evolved massively from the 90s/early 2000s when people like Nas and Eminem peaked. The Nas album you mentioned was 7 years ago and his best albums have always been widely agreed as Illmatic and It Was Written. Guy is 45 now and there comes a time when you don't really have anything worth rapping about. It's not all about how technically good they are but some of the best today are still technically great. Andre3000 still kills it with every verse he brings out and Kendrick is on another level for me personally. But if they aren't your cup of tea then that's fine. I've always been big into production and how it is sonically, but that also includes their flow, cadence and wordplay.

As for how things chart. I don't think the charts have had any musical relevance for years. Catchy pop songs stay on the charts for months, it doesn't make them good.