2020-21 FA Youth Cup

Mickson

This team isn't so spectacular, but the team is very good and very solid. Earlier United teams have looked good going forward but shaky at the back. United should be one of the favorites for the title. Liverpool is a tough tie but United wins 7 out of 10 times.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
:lol: Yea he does, he wears black ones so tbf they are pretty hard to see. You can tell by the way only the back of his hair moves though too.

You can see the adidas logo on it here.
Oh yeah, so he does :lol:

Solid result, not sure how good Salford are but they didn't give us too many headaches. Can't say I envy the lads having to play on that pitch, the weather's been grim in the north west these last few days too.

Bertie Wooster

Solid but unspectacular performance on a poor pitch in windy conditions.

Good to see Hansen back and he looked comfortable on the ball as usual. McNeill was quiet but scored a great goal. Emeran was frustrating how often he lost the ball / miscontrolled it. Garnacho and Sviderskiy looked decent and Fernandez oozed quality on the ball and had a comfortable time at the back (as they all did - more troubled by the pitch and conditions than Salford's front men).

The next round will obviously be a hell of a lot harder - really frustrating that the U18's have got an early tough draw like the first team keep getting.

Sea-Cow

Fernandez has been really outstanding. So mature - always in total control and plays us out of a lot of trouble. He actually looks more impressive as a central defender than at left-back
Where do you think he could do better, at CB or LB?

Or maybe option C: a left-sided CB in a 3?

Sea-Cow

Cheers to the lads providing updates for those of us without MUTV. Glad to hear that Garnacho had some positives, and that Hansen was back. Same for Emeran who at this point just needs to stay fit and get some minutes built up.

lysglimt

Scout
Where do you think he could do better, at CB or LB?

Or maybe option C: a left-sided CB in a 3?
He has played well at left-back - but he was in a league of his own as centre back. I actually think he could make a really good defensive midfielder, he has all the qualities for that. For him to be a central defender I would have loved to see him be a bit quicker.

I do hope he is moved centrally though - I think he will go further there.

lysglimt

Scout
Age (approx)
Vitek - 17.5
Hughes - 17.5
Fernandez - 18
Hardley - 18
Savage - 18
Gore - 16.5
Hansen 16.5
Svidersky - 18.5
McNeill - 17.5
Garnacho - 16.5
Emeran - 18.5

3 players who had turned 18 - Hardley, Emeran and Svidersky, 5 players who are 17, and 3 players who are 16

So yes it was a very young side.

Sea-Cow

He has played well at left-back - but he was in a league of his own as centre back. I actually think he could make a really good defensive midfielder, he has all the qualities for that. For him to be a central defender I would have loved to see him be a bit quicker.

I do hope he is moved centrally though - I think he will go further there.
Cheers. And pace is so critical these days, to every position.

I swear if I had just been a tad faster..... I would have still been shit.

Sea-Cow

I have a quick question here. Its not important, its not a big deal at all, but I am just slightly confused.

A United highlights Twitter account, @ManUnitedLU_247, posted a lineup with the players pics. In that tweet the pic for Gore is a young lad of color. And if that isn't the best way to phrase it then I sincerely apologize, its just that calling him a young black lad also seems wrong.

But then in the highlights of the first goal, the goalscorer appears to definitely not be a person of color. So I am just curious if I am missing something.

And again, I know it doesn't matter in the slightest, I am just wondering.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I have a quick question here. Its not important, its not a big deal at all, but I am just slightly confused.

A United highlights Twitter account, @ManUnitedLU_247, posted a lineup with the players pics. In that tweet the pic for Gore is a young lad of color. And if that isn't the best way to phrase it then I sincerely apologize, its just that calling him a young black lad also seems wrong.

But then in the highlights of the first goal, the goalscorer appears to definitely not be a person of color. So I am just curious if I am missing something.

Dan Gore is white. That picture is Kobbie Mainoo.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Answered in the comments.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
In terms of what, age? That's funny, because I actually think this teams looks very experienced, more mature than earlier teams. Very stable all over the pitch.
Inexperienced in terms of never having played in the FA Youth Cup before. Most teams are a mix of first, second and third years. These were nearly all first years in terms of first year in the U/18's.

Mickson

Inexperienced in terms of never having played in the FA Youth Cup before. Most teams are a mix of first, second and third years. These were nearly all first years in terms of first year in the U/18's.
Thanks. As I said, it doesn't show. Very mature performance. I remember earlier teams, with great players being eliminated by teams that weren't all that. I think we can go far this year, just need to get some players back from injury.

Bigsid

Thanks. As I said, it doesn't show. Very mature performance. I remember earlier teams, with great players being eliminated by teams that weren't all that. I think we can go far this year, just need to get some players back from injury.
Injuries permitting and a favourable draw we stand a chance but would still see us behind the usual finalists of Chelsea and City if they play their best u18 side.

Bertie Wooster

Our luck with cup draws is certainly extending into the Youth Cup.

We play Liverpool today in the 4th round (live on MUTV at 3pm). The draws for the 5th round and Q/F have been made and, if we get past Liverpool, we'd have Leicester away followed by either Arsenal or West Ham. Just as difficult (almost identical) a route to the S/F as the first team faced!

Here's the draw up to the Q/F...

1 Newcastle United or Leeds United or Watford v Aston Villa or Burton Albion
2 Leicester City or Manchester United or Liverpool v West Ham United or Arsenal
3 Swansea City or Middlesbrough or Ipswich Town or Swindon Town v Peterborough United or Sheffield United or Bristol City
4 AFC Wimbledon or Tottenham Hotspur or West Bromwich Albion or Cardiff City v Chelsea or AFC Fylde or Manchester City or Everton.

It's frustrating the standard of some of the teams we could have drawn instead - especially those 7 teams in the 3rd Q/F draw. I guess the only good thing is we avoid Chelsea and City, and they might play each other in the 5th round with the winner maybe playing Tottenham - so at least they've got a difficult route as well.

Last edited: