2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolina Red

Staff
what the hell are you doing in this thread? Figured youd be 10 bourbons in and screaming at the pope.
Ha. I’m watching the game.

I’ve pulled for Clemson and Notre Dame both since I was a child, so this has been a very conflicting past few hours for me.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Ha. I’m watching the game.

I’ve pulled for Clemson and Notre Dame both since I was a child, so this has been a very conflicting past few hours for me.
As a USC fan (the real USC, not that shitty one down by you) I do not condone this.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Biden sounds like a preacher in pulpit, but he has more charisma than Kamala. Good speech by both of them though.

I'm sure the calls for unity will fall on deaf ears, but hopefully the senate can work together (though I doubt that too). With the 2022 elections, a GOP senate would do everything to derail Biden presidency. Winning both Georgia senate seats is of paramount priority now!

He might be tempted to go down Trump route and get 'acting' cabinet members and sign executive orders to get things done.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Biden sounds like a preacher in pulpit, but he has more charisma than Kamala. Good speech by both of them though.

I'm sure the calls for unity will fall on deaf ears, but hopefully the senate can work together (though I doubt that too). With the 2022 elections, a GOP senate would do everything to derail Biden presidency.

He might be tempted to go down Trump route and get 'acting' cabinet members and sign executive orders to get things done.
I don't think he will, but he should at least use it as a threat (assuming we don't get those sweet sweet GA seats). Trump was allowed to use acting cabinet members for almost 3 years and his party controlled the Senate. If Mitch tried to make a scene he would have little to stand on, although integrity has never been one of McTurtle's qualities.

owlo

Do I have terrible taste for thinking Kaitlan Collins is rather cute?

@WI_Red Keep these ragamuffins away from my scotch!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Do I have terrible taste for thinking Kaitlan Collins is rather cute?

@WI_Red Keep these ragamuffins away from my scotch!
Absolutely not, she is my CNN fave.

You know, there IS a way to get me to stop discussing this :)
Seriously, how good is it? I remember it being amazing.

Kopral Jono

I didn't think I would enjoy this as much. Centrist/IDW Twitter is having a proper meltdown over this, but one that's disguised as a series of nuanced intellectual takes. It's actually hilarious.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I don't think he will, but he should at least use it as a threat (assuming we don't get those sweet sweet GA seats). Trump was allowed to use acting cabinet members for almost 3 years and his party controlled the Senate. If Mitch tried to make a scene he would have little to stand on, although integrity has never been one of McTurtle's qualities.
Its even so weird to see the word 'integrity' and McTurtle in the same sentence.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Sounds like Jill will be working on education reform, whereas Melania got to design a garden.
She apparently worked to mitigate online bullying believe it or not. And that's not ironic at all.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'd tend to agree with you. When I'm talking with them I get the feeling they're using it to cover for #3. (Some of them I think are sincere. 'Dude's a centrist. Heck he's one of us if this is still the '80s)

There are a lot of people upset by the perceived steady perfusion of non-traditional values into the the 'heartland' over the past thirty years. And not only has their way of life been under assault, but this assault also led to the rise of evangelicals and prosperity gospel ('Real' Christians HAAAAAAAATE that stuff) and dumbasses overcompensating. (and the internet made it worse)

They're used to 'turning the other cheek/not fighting back', so they're a bit conflicted when someone does it for them. They're not exactly pleased when it's someone like Trump or these Ya'll Qaeda types. But they're also not exactly not pleased, you know?
Ah, I see what you're saying. I get that to a degree, but Biden seems very traditional to me too. He ticks all the same traditional boxes of married, white, Christian, male for starters. I appreciate he doesn't signal to the religious folks as often, but I can't see why he'd put off the religious folks? It wouldn't be hard to argue that Biden lives his life more in accordance with Christian values than Trump, and he speaks often about his Catholic roots. His upbringing too would be much more traditional than Trump's. And while there's issues that Trump is more aligned with them on, surely there's an equal number that Biden is more aligned with them than Trump on? Looking at how he lives and what he stands for, I struggle to see many areas where Trump is better placed on a values judgment.

Which sort of brings you back to xenophobia and abortion as the things that seem to override most parts of the argument about who would best protect traditional values.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I’m one of the most vocal critics of western exceptionalism and illegal US wars on this forum.
But I felt genuinely sick with fear on Tuesday night when it seemed Trump was doing well. So I’ll take any Democrat over Trump as I won’t literally feel my blood pressure rise anytime Trump spoke or tweeted?

The rest can wait for another day.
Hear, hear.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Is there any realistic chance of smooth transition on January 20, or is it more likely Trump will barricade himself in the White House and refuse to concede?

Surely Republicans at some point will distance themselves from the man?

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Is there any realistic chance of smooth transition on January 20, or is it more likely Trump will barricade himself in the White House and refuse to concede?

Surely Republicans at some point will distance themselves from the man?
My guess is he will never acknowledge defeat and always say it was rigged, but don’t think it’d quite get to the point of him being forcefully removed from the White House. It won’t be a peaceful transition and he will fight in the courts and even if the courts rule against him he still won’t accept it though.

TheGame

Can you imagine Trump doing what Obama did and greeting the president elect on his inauguration and having lunch with him? Isn’t this a tradition of some sorts from an outgoing president to the incumbent?

Precaution

Can you imagine Trump doing what Obama did and greeting the president elect on his inauguration and having lunch with him? Isn’t this a tradition of some sorts from an outgoing president to the incumbent?
There's also a traditional dinner where it's like a comedy Central roast style, it's where Obama insulted Trump so much he went to undo everything Obama did, I can't imagine he'll be attending.

Siorac

And the good vibes keep coming, GA lead for Biden is now 10,195.
That recount is going to be meaningless at this point.

I hope he accuses Georgia's fully Republican leadership of stealing the election from him though.

Lj82

There's also a traditional dinner where it's like a comedy Central roast style, it's where Obama insulted Trump so much he went to undo everything Obama did, I can't imagine he'll be attending.
That would be the white house correspondents dinner. Trump didn't do any of those during his term

WPMUFC

That recount is going to be meaningless at this point.

I hope he accuses Georgia's fully Republican leadership of stealing the election from him though.
Recounts also typically don’t change the margin by an amount that would be large enough to affect the result of this year’s presidential election. The mean swing between the top two candidates in the 27 recounts was 282 votes, with a median of 219. The biggest swing came in Florida’s 2000 presidential election recount, when Al Gore cut 1,247 votes off George W. Bush’s lead, ultimately not enough to flip the state to his column.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/recounts-rarely-reverse-election-results/

Status
Not open for further replies.