2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I thought Chaffetz worked at Fox now.
No clue where he works but she was calling him out for his tweets on the election results from 2020 to 2016. Also did a take on Graham. They all agreed and congratulated Trump in 2016 when states/media claimed he was the winner but it's different in 2020. They're claiming media do not call it and states haven't official declared.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

This has been rumoured for the last few weeks, at least. Also rumoured to be given the boot is Gina Haspel, Director of the CIA and of course, everyone's favorite Doc, Anthony Fauci. (Even though he can't fire him directly, he's still going to try)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
They mock the world for accepting that the media has called the election before the Electoral College has met to officially cast their votes.

But, that’s how it’s been done by the media forever.

They embraced the media calling it in 2016 for Trump.

Just incredible.

mu4c_20le

This has been rumoured for the last few weeks, at least. Also rumoured to be given the boot is Gina Haspel, Director of the CIA and of course, everyone's favorite Doc, Anthony Fauci. (Even though he can't fire him directly, he's still going to try)
Yeah he was already on his shit list over the national guard thing

langster

Scout

Apparently the Senate had already approved a designated successor.

Surely this is now Trump going against the Republicans? Especially Mr Turtle....

Dr. StrangeHate

I am scared of Tucker Carlson. He is incredibly intelligent while being a cnut of the highest order. He is gonna be Trump on steroids without having Trump's baggage.
Ted Cruz, Rubio, Jim Jordan, Ted Gowdy, and Paul Ryan all have a better shot I feel. Ted Cruz and Paul are pretty much the smartest GOP guys after Turtle.

Last edited:

MTF

Apparently the Senate had already approved a designated successor.

Surely this is now Trump going against the Republicans? Especially Mr Turtle....
I think it's a bit more complicated than that though. I've been following immigration law a bit recently because it pertains to my own life also, and at Department of Homeland Security that oversees USCIS (Immigration), Chad Wolf is Acting Secretary but the circumstances leading to his appointment were not by the book. There can be an Acting Secretary if that person is in the established Dept succession regulations. Chad Wolf was not supposed to take over after Kirstjen Nielsen resigned, but Trump made him Acting Secretary nonetheless.

Where this comes back to bite him though is that there have been lawsuits questioning changes in regulation made by DHS under Secretary Wolf, and there have been injunctions granted against the government in cases where part (not the entirety) of the plaintiff's argument was that Wolf is in his position illegally and therefore makes any regulation issued by him not valid. Again, because that was not the entirety of the arguments of plaintiffs, judges have not to my knowledge yet struck down anything simply by virtue of him not being legally in position. But in their opinions they have expressed agreement that this is a serious issue. I think none of these matters have reached final decision yet and have only been granted injuctions.

But you see where the issue lies for Biden potentially, that if you don't appoint Secretaries through the full legal process, it could still generate a situation where courts block anything those Secretaries attempt to do. Disclaimer that should maybe be at the top is that I'm not a lawyer, but I do get the impression that this is still evolving legal understanding and there isn't enough case law and especially no case law at a Circuit or Supreme Court level to make it certain either way whether this is doable.

langster

Scout
I think it's a bit more complicated than that though. I've been following immigration law a bit recently because it pertains to my own life also, and at Department of Homeland Security that oversees USCIS (Immigration), Chad Wolf is Acting Secretary but the circumstances leading to his appointment were not by the book. There can be an Acting Secretary if that person is in the established Dept succession regulations. Chad Wolf was not supposed to take over after Kirstjen Nielsen resigned, but Trump made him Acting Secretary nonetheless.

Where this comes back to bite him though is that there have been lawsuits questioning changes in regulation made by DHS under Secretary Wolf, and there have been injunctions granted against the government in cases where part (not the entirety) of the plaintiff's argument was that Wolf is in his position illegally and therefore makes any regulation issued by him not valid. Again, because that was not the entirety of the arguments of plaintiffs, judges have not to my knowledge yet struck down anything simply by virtue of him not being legally in position. But in their opinions they have expressed agreement that this is a serious issue. I think none of these matters have reached final decision yet and have only been granted injuctions.

But you see where the issue lies for Biden potentially, that if you don't appoint Secretaries through the full legal process, it could still generate a situation where courts block anything those Secretaries attempt to do. Disclaimer that should maybe be at the top is that I'm not a lawyer, but I do get the impression that this is still evolving legal understanding and there isn't enough case law and especially no case law at a Circuit or Supreme Court level to make it certain either way whether this is doable.

I have just been reading a few articles about this and I think you are absolutely right. Trump has filled several positions with 'acting' roles to avoid Senate confirmation. Each time he has ignored the Deputy of each department that have already been Senate approved and by law should be the ones to fill the top position.

This is also a little worrying, and begs yet another question.

Drifter

American
I am scared of Tucker Carlson. He is incredibly intelligent while being a cnut of the highest order. He is gonna be Trump on steroids without having Trump's baggage.
Really? John Stewart moped the floor with him.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
So, again, what's the feckin point of having checks and balances if they're not going to be used?
Bloody Banana republic.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

They realise they need the crazy, I guess.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I have just been reading a few articles about this and I think you are absolutely right. Trump has filled several positions with 'acting' roles to avoid Senate confirmation. Each time he has ignored the Deputy of each department that have already been Senate approved and by law should be the ones to fill the top position.

This is also a little worrying, and begs yet another question.
Indeed it does, such as "Is Trump going to try and pull some crazy stunt with orders to the military and some attempted annulment of the election results?"

I wouldn't put it past him, not at all.

Revan

Assumptionman
Ted Cruz, Rubio, Jim Jordan, Ted Gowdy, and Paul Ryan all have a better shot I feel. Ted Cruz and Paul are pretty much the smartest GOP guys after Turtle.
I think it is gonna be very hard for the lying Ted. Little Marco probably has a decent chance though. Jim Jordan, nah, he has no charisma at all. Gowdy is an excellent speaker, and with regard to Ryan, agree that is the smartest of them all (after McTurtle of course). In fact, he would be my favorite choice from extreme Republicans.

Larry Hogan would be by far my favorite choice (though not likely it is gonna happen). In that case, the Democrats won't have any choice but go to the left in order to differentiate from a centrist Republican.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
what did he say? Missed his talk, while Chuck talking nothing informative now.
Straight up Republican gibberish. Equating this to 2000 and 2004 and Hillary this 2016, and Pelosi this, and Schummer that, and Dems shouldn't be worried, blah blah. Whataboutism 101 combined with conspiracy drivel. It was straight up propaganda talking points IMO.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
As I thought all along, GOP will allow Trump's legal efforts die out before acknowledging Biden as President elect. Spineless cnuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.