2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The Kardashian family have some part to play in this I think. I wouldn't put anything past that mother.
Possibly. Wasn't he a cnut pre-Kardashian though anyway? I can't remember tbh.

Cloud7

Possibly. Wasn't he a cnut pre-Kardashian though anyway? I can't remember tbh.
I can't remember that well either, but I feel like I would have remembered him being a spectacle like he is now if he was like that before. Open to be proven wrong.

RUUD_10_LEGEND

Not much talk about Exit Polls, but I see the CNN page linked earlier has a section ready for them. Do they tell us as much in the US as they do over here? I genuinely can't remember what they said in 2016

owlo

Not much talk about Exit Polls, but I see the CNN page linked earlier has a section ready for them. Do they tell us as much in the US as they do over here? I genuinely can't remember what they said in 2016
This year they will be trash. (due to early turnout) - I'd go as far as to say ignore them completely.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
No, the new house delegation chooses the next president if no candidate reaches 270. The new senate chooses the vice president. But what if everything is still tied?
I think it comes back to Section 3 of the 20th Amendment:

Section 3. If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President. If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by law provide for the case wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice President elect shall have qualified, declaring who shall then act as President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be selected, and such person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President shall have qualified.

We keep going around until Congress elects a President.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Normally they would, but this year its a bit crazy because of all the early/absentee voting. They're trying to correct for it, but I suspect its going to make exit polling kind of worthless this time around. Unless its a landslide.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
No, in the US they tend to be used more for understanding the results after they've come in, whereas here they're designed to be predictive.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Looks like I can bet on Democrats winning the EV by more than 100 points on 3/1 odds. That looks a no-brainer, surely? The 538 model has that as clearly the most likely outcome.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Looks like I can bet on Democrats winning the EV by more than 100 points on 3/1 odds. That looks a no-brainer, surely? The 538 model has that as clearly the most likely outcome.
You are better off betting on Biden ecv values. I've got an averaged 8-1 odds if he wins between 300-400.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
No they won't actually build a plant in the US, at best they'll create some bogus "marketing department consisting of out sourced forces" to tick the "bring back jobs to the US" quota for a tax cut. Put a building with several medium level management staff and voila. And for that several tens of extra good paying job the Government is subsidizing billions in tax cut. They'd just rather build a state owned phone co and subsidize it by only hiring US residents.

Now the bulk of their production, Even if they're expanding and hiring, they'll be hiring in China, and if not China it'll be Mexico, Cambodia, Indonesia, anywhere but the US. Nothing personal, wherever its cheaper that's where they'll go. They're not stupid, they're not gonna invest in the US knowingly 1 hour of labor is 5x anywhere else. They don't get rich by being stupid.
This is why the Trump plan to bring manufacturing back is so moronic. Its outdated and a losing proposition.

The US economy needs to transition to local variation that can't be outsourced (food, local goods), services that are worldwide (tech, internet) and sectors that create virtuous circles of economic development (green energy). Not going more sustainable energy has already hurt the US

NotworkSte

I think it comes back to Section 3 of the 20th Amendment:

Section 3. If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President. If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by law provide for the case wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice President elect shall have qualified, declaring who shall then act as President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be selected, and such person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President shall have qualified.

We keep going around until Congress elects a President.
12th amendment.
Rep’s choose, and though Dems have the house in pure numbers, it’s actually 1 vote per state and in that scenario the GOP currently have more votes ( though I think the actual composition depends on the makeup after the election, not as it currently it).

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
@Carolina Red: can't be bothered to find the post back (this thread is going really fast now), but could you provide some more info why people living the mountains of NC tend to vote for the Democrats? It is not what I would have expected.

Last edited:

massi83

That's about 2.0 on betfair. Obv if you get 4.0 from somewhere you should go all-in. Are you sure you are looking at +100 and not +200?

Revan

Assumptionman
No, the new house delegation chooses the next president if no candidate reaches 270. The new senate chooses the vice president. But what if everything is still tied?
House votes repeatedly until they choose the new president. I think they voted 35 times or so until they chose Jefferson (which I think is the only case of this happening, but not sure).

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Apologies if I've missed any earlier posts, but any idea when results may start coming in UK time?

I've taken the first half of tomorrow off work but will just log on anyway if Biden takes Florida which I believe is decided quite early.

The perks of WFH.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I got to watch these come in live last time as the time zone helped but am I right in thinking this will come in middle of the night UK time?

Status
Not open for further replies.