2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah but I'm talking about the tradition, the protocol, the etiquette (if there is such a thing) of the office of the president. Are those things sacred? Like in our Parliament, there are certain things that politicians will always do regardless of their personal view/ego because it is the done thing, the tradition. They would not get away with riding roughshod over the institution. I'm just amazed at how easily Trump has managed to burn the whole thing down in just 4 years.
I wouldn't used sacred to describe them. They are simply accepted norms of how outgoing and incoming administrations have interacted with one another over decades. Trump obviously doesn't care which rules or norms he violates. Beyond that, the public are more interested in dealing with COVID and paying their bills, than they are about the transition.

WPMUFC

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA): “President Trump has exhausted all plausible legal options to challenge the result of the presidential race in Pennsylvania. ... I congratulate President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris on their victory.”

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I wouldn't used sacred to describe them. They are simply accepted norms of how outgoing and incoming administrations have interacted with one another over decades. Trump obviously doesn't care which rules or norms he violates. Beyond that, the public are more interested in dealing with COVID and paying their bills, than they are about the transition.
Fair enough. Gotcha.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Stop encouraging @calodo2003 Wibble. You were not here for election night, you can not comprehend the horror that was manifested by that tweet. It was like the Crying Game, but on fire.
You forget that I'm a modmin and can still see deleted stuff so I experienced it in all its flaming glory.

Better than the "good old days" when the meatspin flash animation was just a slightly overfamiliar way of saying hello on here.

If you don't know what it is my advice would be to leave it that way. Although I think they had to remove the audio of You Spin Me Right Round by Dead or Alive for copyright reasons that will have dulled the effect I'd guess.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
You forget that I'm a modmin and can still see deleted stuff so I experienced it in all its flaming glory.

Better than the "good old days" when the meatspin flash animation was just a slightly overfamiliar way of saying hello on here.

If you don't know what it is my advice would be to leave it that way. Although I think they had to remove the audio of You Spin Me Right Round by Dead or Alive for copyright reasons that will have dulled the effect I'd guess.
I was a “lurker” on here for over a decade thanks to my previous companies social media policy, so I unfortunately know exactly what you are referring to. Fortunately a lot of therapy helped me forgot. Unfortunately you just undid all that.

Last edited:

iKnowNothing

Possibly, though it could lead to the moderates essentially owning the Democratic Party for all eternity, since they would have no incentive to court the left. Or maybe the left would gain since the Democrats wouldn't need to convince Republicans to vote for them...
Can the Democrats also split into the “left” and “moderates “ and thereby creating a 4-party system in the US? Is US becoming a multi party democracy too much to ask for?

WPMUFC

If she actually presents this utter lunacy to a court, i hope proceedings can begin to get her disbarred. She just claimed this conspiracy has been "going on for decades" thus implying Trump was fraudulently elected.

ALSO, a decades long conspiracy, that elected multiple republican presidents, republican majorities in congress.....and the culminated in Biden winning, not taking the senate, and losing house seats.

WHAT!!

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

If she actually presents this utter lunacy to a court, i hope proceedings can begin to get her disbarred. She just claimed this conspiracy has been "going on for decades" thus implying Trump was fraudulently elected.

ALSO, a decades long conspiracy, that elected multiple republican presidents, republican majorities in congress.....and the culminated in Biden winning, not taking the senate, and losing house seats.

WHAT!!
Well you can't be too brazen about these things. You have to cut it close to make people believe of course

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

WHAT!!
You forgot the golden rule when trying to analyse these claims and assertions - reverse-logical-thinking

Siorac

He'll leave a drawer full of flaming cock pics for his replacement to find.
A Hungarian football coach actually did something like that when fired: he drew a cock, wrote that "this is what football work is worth in this city"' and left it in a drawer for his successor.

Wolverine

What happens if its January and these courts are still being referred to or being heard in the supreme court?
And what are we expecting SCOTUS to do with all these cases as the trump nominees now mean there's a conservative tilt?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It's what separates democracies from dictatorships - that there are free and fair elections, that the votes are counted in a transparent and honest way and that the losing candidate makes a gracious and prompt withdrawal. By refusing to acknowledge that the first two have happened and by refusing to accept his defeat, Trump is behaving in a completely incongruous way for the leader of a democracy.

It jars, because it's not supposed to be like this.

WPMUFC

It's what separates democracies from dictatorships - that there are free and fair elections, that the votes are counted in a transparent and honest way and that the losing candidate makes a gracious and prompt withdrawal. By refusing to acknowledge that the first two have happened and by refusing to accept his defeat, Trump is behaving in a completely incongruous way for the leader of a democracy.

It jars, because it's not supposed to be like this.
and you can just predict that on inauguration day, Trump will be dripping poison into the ear of his cult by still claiming Biden undertook a coup on him with illegal votes. He will rile his cultists up until the bombs and the guns start going off in stochastic attacks. There is no way his devote followers, the ones that call rush limbaugh crying their eyes out, will ever accept a peaceful transition.

They will take the lawsuits as far as they can, trump will be playing golf and tweeting 50 times a minute, and someone will eventually try to do something. This doesn't end in flowers and hand holding, they will want vengeance.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
and you can just predict that on inauguration day, Trump will be dripping poison into the ear of his cult by still claiming Biden undertook a coup on him with illegal votes. He will rile his cultists up until the bombs and the guns start going off in stochastic attacks. There is no way his devote followers, the ones that call rush limbaugh crying their eyes out, will ever accept a peaceful transition.

They will take the lawsuits as far as they can, trump will be playing golf and tweeting 50 times a minute, and someone will eventually try to do something. This doesn't end in flowers and hand holding, they will want vengeance.
If anyone dies because of this, Trump will be morally responsible for it. I'd also extend that to the spineless Republican politicians who haven't spoken out yet, because they are putting their own careers ahead of what they know to be true.

Libano

This is turning into a high stakes poker game with the losers awaiting jail time and political annihilation for possibly decades to come. I just hope when this goes to the Supreme Court that a just verdict will be found, not simply a partisan one.

The ball is in Trump's court. $hit or get off the pot.

Hammerfell

This is turning into a high stakes poker game with the losers awaiting jail time and political annihilation for possibly decades to come. I just hope when this goes to the Supreme Court that a just verdict will be found, not simply a partisan one.

No it isn't.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

If we're doing a poker metaphor it's basically Trump calling Biden's full house with a pair of 2's and claiming he won the pot.

He's a kid who lost a game of monopoly and is throwing an angry tantrum, because his parents hated him an raised him to be a narcisistic sociopath cnut who should just hurry up and fecking die. Sorry I meant concede.

Revan

Assumptionman
If it goes to Supreme Court, do people expect Thomas and Alito (and the new SCOTUS too) still ruling in Trump’s favor regardless?

Roberts, Gorsuch and likely Kavanaugh are not gonna vote for this nonsense, but it is still crazy to expect two or three Supreme Court justices to give the right to Trump simply cause they happen to be in the same party. Banana-republic if I ever saw one.

Libano

No it isn't.
It is. 2 scenarios:

1. Trump loses. Democrats will come after him personally, possibly with a senate majority. Jail time in the cards. This is the more likely scenario with what we know right now.
2. Trump wins. That can only happen if the Dominion scandal is proven true in court. This would destroy the Democratic party and produce a bunch of felonies related to election fraud. Jail time guaranteed.

High stakes.

Drifter

American
If it goes to Supreme Court, do people expect Thomas and Alito (and the new SCOTUS too) still ruling in Trump’s favor regardless?

Roberts, Gorsuch and likely Kavanaugh are not gonna vote for this nonsense, but it is still crazy to expect two or three Supreme Court justices to give the right to Trump simply cause they happen to be in the same party. Banana-republic if I ever saw one.
If that happens, I just can not see the SC surviving into the future as it stands. So I can't see it happening.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

What are the chances of this even getting to there? The cases are being thrown out of the lower courts for being nonsense.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It is. 2 scenarios:

1. Trump loses. Democrats will come after him personally, possibly with a senate majority. Jail time in the cards. This is the more likely scenario with what we know right now.
2. Trump wins. That can only happen if the Dominion scandal is proven true in court. This would destroy the Democratic party and produce a bunch of felonies related to election fraud. Jail time guaranteed.

High stakes.
He already lost Mr Jones.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It is. 2 scenarios:

High stakes.
I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that won’t happen...This isn’t a game of poker. If it ever was then everyone else has left the table and gone home. It’s just Trump and Rudy frantically going through 15 decks of cards, throwing shit at the table and screaming “FULL HOUSE” every 4 minutes when in reality it’s not even a pair of fecking twos. It’s over.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

Quite a revealing but shirt article showing the desperation and ignorance from these guys. Trying to overturn and objecting every single vote from predominantly black districts. It's just so sad, the hate running through Trump supporters is scary.

There was always a Republican/Democrat divide before but Trump has ramped it up to new levels. Scary times indeed.

sebsheep

It is. 2 scenarios:

High stakes.
[/QUOTE
1. Aren't the cases that could possibly be coming against him at state level, meaning the senate balance doesn't matter?
2. That Dominion "scandal" is genuinely one of the worst thought out conspiracy theories I've seen. If you're looking at someone who should possibly be going to prison for actions during this election the Lindsey Graham might be worth some attention.

sebsheep

Quite a revealing but shirt article showing the desperation and ignorance from these guys. Trying to overturn and objecting every single vote from predominantly black districts. It's just so sad, the hate running through Trump supporters is scary.

There was always a Republican/Democrat divide before but Trump has ramped it up to new levels. Scary times indeed.
Weren't there reports of them switching to challenging every vote somewhere during the initial counting?

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
What are the chances of this even getting to there? The cases are being thrown out of the lower courts for being nonsense.
The Supreme Court is a Court of Appeal so they can continue to appeal up to that jurisdiction provided they keep losing. In most cases the matters will not be allowed as they should be deemed frivolous at best.

There is a reason no big law firm or Lawyer worth any value is touching Trump. They don't want to risk being disbarred which tells you the chances of Trumps success.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

If so, the Republican Party will be out of power for many years. The American public are not going to support a political party that's tied to a neo-Nazi terrorist wing that's conducting bombing and gun attacks.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Weren't there reports of them switching to challenging every vote somewhere during the initial counting?
Yes, I think there was. It's telling that the reports in many states have said that the election observers on the Republican side were unprofessional, disruptive, unruly and inexperienced.

Reading between the lines it seems clear that in many places they have just sent in MAGA thugs to disrupt or even bully the ballot counting process. Objectov

Amarsdd

If so, the Republican Party will be out of power for many years. The American public are not going to support a political party that's tied to a neo-Nazi terrorist wing that's conducting bombing and gun attacks.
Thoughts and prayers and right back to acting like and voting for cnuts. Its not like its not been happening in the last decade or so.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
It is. 2 scenarios:

High stakes.
Accept the Dominion scandal is a non-existent fable made up by right wing nut jobs who will spout any old unsubstantiated bull shit to suit their opinions. In fact this conspiracy theory is so far fetched and made up it’s beyond ridiculous. People will believe any old pile of bull shit nowadays, it’s unbelievable.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Can the Democrats also split into the “left” and “moderates “ and thereby creating a 4-party system in the US? Is US becoming a multi party democracy too much to ask for?
The election system in the US makes 4 roughly equal pretty much an impossibility, unfortunately. They don't have parliamentary politics, so it'll always be about the one party that got the most votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.