2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
If /when the dems win the Senate and Biden wins, the absolute first thing they need to do is pass sweeping voter protections. If they can guarantee free and fair elections the Republicans will never be in power again

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Requested an absentee ballot from Georgia on 5 October at 457pm, three minutes prior to the deadline. Haven't received it to date.
I for one am shocked that a state run by Brian Kemp is anything but 100% above boRd when it comes to elections.

GiddyUp

And also argue with Melania's lawyers over the divorce settlement.
Imagine how much he will have to charge his four man Secret Service detail at his properties to afford the divorce. $250,000 a golf cart.

InfiniteBoredom

Pelosi was on Hayes just now saying that the no. of SC justices should matches the circuits (13). Probably all bark no bite as usual, but they clearly are spooked.

This is what feckface McTurtle was on about. Keeping Trump is just a bonus for him, but being able to directly interfere in state level elections whenever they wish through the SC will keep the GOP in power for decades.

sport2793

So true and so extremely frustrating. This court can't be allowed to remain at its current disposition, Dems need to make sure they advertise effectively to ensure that they can get >50% support for court expansion.

Abizzz

Pelosi was on Hayes just now saying that the no. of SC justices should matches the circuits (13). Probably all bark no bite as usual, but they clearly are spooked.

This is what feckface McTurtle was on about. Keeping Trump is just a bonus for him, but being able to directly interfere in state level elections whenever they wish through the SC will keep the GOP in power for decades.
Wait am I understanding the logic correctly in that the supreme court should interfere with state election laws so that state supreme courts don't interfere in state election laws !?

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Wait am I understanding the logic correctly in that the supreme court should interfere with state election laws so that state supreme courts don't interfere in state election laws !?
More than that- the Supreme Court should uphold whatever voting restrictions a State imposes, and overrule state courts when they try to interpret the State’s own laws to increase voting rights.

InfiniteBoredom

More than that- the Supreme Court should uphold whatever voting restrictions a State imposes, and overrule state courts when they try to interpret the State’s own laws to increase voting rights.
Also governors, state agencies, state legislatures whenever they see fit, so basically the SC gets to decide how elections are run nationwide, who can participate, etc.... choosing the winner even before voting has begun.

Banana republic isn’t even enough to describe how bad this is.

WPMUFC

holy shit, he's actually arguing if ballots are counted after election day, for any reason, and they overturned a "perceived" outcome, that is enough grounds for "suspicions of impropriety" :annoyed:

So say Lindsay Graham is winning by 200 votes, ballots get held up for X reason but are democrat heavy. By Kavanaughs argument, the action of counting those votes conflicts with a "perceived win for Graham by 200 votes" because counting them may change that perception and hence introduce doubts of validity.

HOLY feck you guys are in trouble.

WPMUFC

So, what if Biden is ahead by millions and winning the GE as the 4th times out - does Trump and ilk suddenly want all the ballots counted?
I think the GOP plan is

Biden winning on Election Night = Fraud
Biden overwhelming GOP GE turnout out with mail ballots = Fraud
If Trump is winning on Election Night before mail ballots = Legitimate, and sue to stop mail ballots.

WPMUFC

I expected nothing less from a rapist. Even Ken Starr thought he was a filthy bastard.
In Kavanaugh's world, a soldier in Iraq casting a vote and it getting delayed and counted days after the election is inherently suspicious. Don't see conservatives rushing to criticize that implication.

Amarsdd

I think the GOP plan is

Biden winning on Election Night = Fraud
Biden overwhelming GOP GE turnout out with mail ballots = Fraud
If Trump is winning on Election Night before mail ballots = Legitimate, and sue to stop mail ballots.
Sue and then send their goons to protest and stop ballots from being counted before the deadline like in WI.

WPMUFC

Kavanaugh-Gorsuch footnotes were so radical that Roberts had to reject it in a separate opinion.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
It’s getting interesting....
I’ll accept whatever the majority says (and then the electoral college votes for) but let the votes be counted.

GiddyUp

holy shit, he's actually arguing if ballots are counted after election day, for any reason, and they overturned a "perceived" outcome, that is enough grounds for "suspicions of impropriety" :annoyed:

So say Lindsay Graham is winning by 200 votes, ballots get held up for X reason but are democrat heavy. By Kavanaughs argument, the action of counting those votes conflicts with a "perceived win for Graham by 200 votes" because counting them may change that perception and hence introduce doubts of validity.

HOLY feck you guys are in trouble.
Packing the SC is literally the only solution. Or a term limit of 12 years. We are in big trouble with this court though. This was on the cards in 2016 and the voters royally screwed up. We have a judge who thinks we should all trade our lives for our employers insured property, an alleged rapist (watch his wifes expression over his confirmation, it kinda confirms that there was truth there) and a religious loon. And now we have to rely on corporate America's chief justice to try and pull one of them over just to get some semblance of social justice.
Why anyone who claims to give a damn about the rights of people would even entertain or facilitate a republican majority in anything or holding the presidency for that matter is just beyond me.
The Dems are a joke of a party but they have some talent coming through but they insist on eating their own in favour of the likes of Feinstein, Pelosi and dare I say it, Biden.
But give me that band if clowns over McConnell, Graham and Jordan any day of the week and I will take it.
The republicans in the last 20 years have given us a useful idiot who got played by his own VP, an old man with more houses than fingers who chose the dumbest person possible as a running mate, a mormon bishop and then the biggest con man in America. Who's next? Kanye or Tom Cotton, a bi-polar egomaniac or a conniving sob who would probably consider jail sentences for thought crimes.
Vote blue or independent until we find out what the hell is wrong with these people.

WPMUFC

Packing the SC is literally the only solution. Or a term limit of 12 years. We are in big trouble with this court though. This was on the cards in 2016 and the voters royally screwed up. We have a judge who thinks we should all trade our lives for our employers insured property, an alleged rapist (watch his wifes expression over his confirmation, it kinda confirms that there was truth there) and a religious loon. And now we have to rely on corporate America's chief justice to try and pull one of them over just to get some semblance of social justice.
Why anyone who claims to give a damn about the rights of people would even entertain or facilitate a republican majority in anything or holding the presidency for that matter is just beyond me.
The Dems are a joke of a party but they have some talent coming through but they insist on eating their own in favour of the likes of Feinstein, Pelosi and dare I say it, Biden.
But give me that band if clowns over McConnell, Graham and Jordan any day of the week and I will take it.
The republicans in the last 20 years have given us a useful idiot who got played by his own VP, an old man with more houses than fingers who chose the dumbest person possible as a running mate, a mormon bishop and then the biggest con man in America. Who's next? Kanye or Tom Cotton, a bi-polar egomaniac or a conniving sob who would probably consider jail sentences for thought crimes.
Vote blue or independent until we find out what the hell is wrong with these people.
A legitimate ballot cast in Wisconsin by Nov.3 yet counted after 12:01am Nov.4 creates "suspicions of impropriety". Legitimate Voting in an US election is now suspicious according the the Supreme Court.

GiddyUp

In Kavanaugh's world, a soldier in Iraq casting a vote and it getting delayed and counted days after the election is inherently suspicious. Don't see conservatives rushing to criticize that implication.
It's absolutely crazy. Conservatism in this country has gone off the cliff and I don't see them changing unless they are torn to pieces by progressive super majorities.

The game has changed now and the rules are no longer there to be followed. The Dems need to write their own, toughen the feck up and force the blue dogs to accept it or get primaried. Red states have a lot to offer but are trapped in a cycle of failure of their own making. That goes for blue states also, especially the larger populated ones But you gotta play the long game too and take no shit. Imagine hugging Lindsey Graham for his leadership instead of pointing a finger in his face and telling him in the nicest way possible he is a horrible human being. This is a big problem and it leaves no incentive for Republicans to come close to center where a constructive debate can be had.

Both parties need a reformation and I'm hoping the youth in this country energizes. I know I would if I had to be half a million in debt just for an education, have a place of my own and means to get to work.

I remind my kids everyday that it doesn't need to be like this but it will continue if you don't engage and treat people the way you would like to be treated. We can all be stupid sometimes, or disillusioned at politics but be involved and do your due diligence keeping in mind that people do change their minds and opinions on things. Pissing and moaning about something stupid like Hunter Biden won't change the fact that in the future if your child has a disability there may not be any funding for very expensive medical care. If your daughter/sister/wife gets raped she will be forced to carry that baby to term. Your children coming out of college with a mountain of debt but needs 3 jobs to survive. Your employer decideing on your healthcare. The list is endless unfortunately and it gets crazier and more depressing the further you delve into it.

I reckon that 65-70% of this country can relatively agree on the path we should take. But in my opinion you do yourself, your family and community a disservice as a liberal or progressive if you turn your frustration on Biden/Bernie/Hillary/A.O C. when the alternative is trump/McConnell/Cotton/Jordan.
The reality is that politicians make promises they will never keep just to get elected. If your chosen candidate gets half of what you wished for that should be considered a small victory and a start. Hopefully the next person you vote for can take it a few steps further. But if you sit it out over your own purity test you end up with politicized CDC during a pandemic, or a son in law advisor telling you to eat shit because you didn't vote for his wife's daddy.

Edit: And all this without going in to the racial tensions, a violent police state with a broken criminal justice system and the worship of the $ to the detriment of every thing else. feck, I really need a 5-0 win on Wednesday just to see me through this week.

Last edited:

GiddyUp

A legitimate ballot cast in Wisconsin by Nov.3 yet counted after 12:01am Nov.4 creates "suspicions of impropriety". Legitimate Voting in an US election is now suspicious according the the Supreme Court.
And the most maddening thing for me is that the majority of improprieties in elections or voter fraud have been on the Republican side.

WPMUFC

Nebraska could pick up a democrat, but because a former democrat's wife lost to a progressive in the primary, the former democrat just endorsed the republican.

UNBELIEVABLE!!

WPMUFC

Further, George W. Bush’s 2000 election legal team—which included Barrett, Kavanaugh, and Roberts—argued during that contested election that ballots arriving late and without postmarks, which were thought to benefit Bush, must be counted in Florida.

As a rule, state Supreme Court gets final say over the meaning of their own state laws. But Rehnquist, Scalia, and Thomas argued that SCOTUS must review their decisions to ensure they comply with the “intent of the legislature.” In other words, the Supreme Court gets to be a Supreme Board of Elections that substitutes state courts’ interpretation of state law with its own subjective view of a legislature’s “intent.” Anthony Kennedy and Sandra Day O’Connor balked at this theory, refusing to sign onto it.

Yet Kavanaugh cited Rehnquist’s concurrence as if it were precedent. As Rehnquist “persuasively explained in Bush v. Gore,” Kavanaugh wrote, “the text of the Constitution requires federal courts to ensure that state courts do not rewrite state election laws.” It is surreal to read these words. Rehnquist’s concurrence garnered just three votes, so it is not precedent at all. Neither, for that matter, is the majority decision in Bush v. Gore, which warned future courts never to rely on it as precedent. To set a good example, SCOTUS itself has never cited any part of Bush v. Gore as precedent. Its opinions are ghosts that haunt modern constitutional law. Yet Kavanaugh just declared in a footnote that he not only agrees with Rehnquist but actually views his opinion as bona fide precedent.

Roberts distanced himself from Kavanaugh’s position on Monday, but Barrett’s confirmation renders his views largely irrelevant. We can probably expect Kavanaugh, along with Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, and now Barrett, to smack down state Supreme Courts that try to expand voting rights, or even just count every ballot.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/10/brett-kavanaugh-mail-ballots-trump-fraud.html

Absolutely nuts. It's time to stack the courts.

Last edited:

WPMUFC

If the Dems win the Trifecta it’s about bloody time to play dirty. Stack the court, statehood for DC etc, make it easier for people to vote. With a bit of luck and cynicism they could basically obliterate the GOP right?
I hate to say this, but Biden may actually have to consider asking people to head to the polls instead of mail voting now. The USA could be on the verge of throwing millions of valid ballots away.

Drifter

American
Loser Democrat Betrays Party To ATTACK Kara Eastman

They really hate the progressive left more than Republicans

Last edited:

owlo

kavanaugh/Gorsuch as the median justice hahaha. (Once Barrett joins)

SC playing with fire. Looking to lose all the unintended power they’ve amassed over the last century. That said, on the Wisconsin decision, if roberts supported it then it’s not particularly crazy.

I suspect we’re going to enter an era of Roberts siding with the majority just so he can write the opinion.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’m not sure if they were conservatives or playing devils advocate but I saw a few posts on Reddit which seemed relatively sensible and suggested the actual ruling isn’t as shocking as it seems. SCOTUS ruled in favour of supporting the State government’s own interpretation of the state constitution. This is exactly what they did in Pensilvania when they ruled against the GOP who were arguing against an extension.

The alarming bits are very much in the footnotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.