2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I said the wrong surname name on a roll call in my year of school, I was thinking of when did the fella behind me change his surname and said his first surname
Pretty sure I've done similar to that.

SinNombre

Sweden has healthcare on par with Norwegian healthcare. How are they paying for it without oil? Denmark has healthcare on par with Norwegian healthcare. How are they paying for it without oil?

32 countries have universal health care. How are they paying for it? I'm not proud of being born in Norway, because I wasn't born in Norway. I'm extremely thankful I have the privilege of not having to worry about getting sick.
Good for you, now let's not go about using Norway as an example for other countries to follow as a "real first world country".

Same for UAE, Saudis, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait who all have very generous social programs for their citizens.

We can discuss how Sweden or other countries have gotten to universal healthcare in a separate thread. It is not an alien concept to me having lived in Switzerland and Netherlands, and having spent substantial time in both the UK and Singapore (so 4 of those 32 countries) and having moved to the US last. As it gets very evident, simple solutions don't work for a country with 350m people.

Carolina Red

Staff
Sure.

How's your evening going? I'm finding it quite a dull watch.
Mine’s going fine. I’m glad the debate wasn’t a shit show. That was an awful convo I had to have with my students the day after the first one, many of whom had just watched their first presidential debate.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Mine’s going fine. I’m glad the debate wasn’t a shit show. That was an awful convo I had to have with my students the day after the first one, many of who had just watched their first presidential debate.
What was the gist of how your students felt about the first debate?

SinNombre

This was in response to another poster commenting on Norway's generous welfare system. As far as I can tell, the only point of your post here is to suggest that Norway can pay for its welfare system because of its oil income, and that hence other countries can't just be expected to do the same thing. But that's nonsense since, as I pointed out, other countries do offer the same without the oil income.
The other poster was clearly talking about copying a real "first world country" in Norway but clearly jumping to your talking points without reading is your strong suit.

It is blindingly obvious as I wrote in my OP that the Norwegian or Saudi social system is not one other countries can follow.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Mine’s going fine. I’m glad the debate wasn’t a shit show. That was an awful convo I had to have with my students the day after the first one, many of which had just watched their first presidential debate.
Yeah, it seemed way calmer tonight. Don't think it was just the rule change. I think neither of them really came looking for drama. Hopefully they bored the twelve undecideds who watch these things to death and the polls don't shift.

What did you tell them?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I’m sorry but I don’t trust the floating voters not to use Biden’s stutter against him as portrayed by the Republicans and I don’t trust them not to listen to Trump’s lies and fall for them again.

I think it’s a massive toss up but Trump always gets away with it.

They’re going to spread fear intensely on the oil industry thing.

I was so happy when Biden finally responded with ‘we had a Republican Congress’ but he could’ve expanded by slamming McConnell and co.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yeah, it seemed way calmer tonight. Don't think it was just the rule change. I think neither of them really came looking for drama. Hopefully they bored the twelve undecideds who watch these things to death and the polls don't shift.

What did you tell them?
That it didn’t used to be that way but that that means it can change and be fixed.

Red Stone

As it gets very evident, simple solutions don't work for a country with 350m people.
Why wouldn't they? The US spends more on healthcare per capita than pretty much every country with universal coverage. Surely it's possible to get a better system for less money regardless of population when the current system is as broken as it is?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Biden seems to lose his trail of thought a lot. You wouldn’t think there’s only three year’s difference between them.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
You think he’s doing well? I don’t
I think he did far better than I expected and wiped the floor with a docile Trump unallowed to tantrum who was forced to listen to an opponent get fair speaking time.

Fridge chutney

Biden stated outright that he's shutting down the oil industry. Will this swing the election in Trump's favour?

matherto

Biden stated outright that he's shutting down the oil industry. Will this swing the election in Trump's favour?
It’s a statement that is going to dominate the airwaves for a good while I think.

Don’t think anyone was expecting it, least of all Biden.

The worst part is anyone with half a brain knows what’s going on and that the oil/fossil fuel industries have held everyone hostage to get money whilst knowing all about the impending crisis and they know we can’t rely on oil forever and yet because it’s such a big statement it’ll be twisted and turned and lost and the floaters will get scared and vote for Trump or not vote at all. Like he said, Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, they were watching.

SinNombre

Why wouldn't they? The US spends more on healthcare per capita than pretty much every country with universal coverage. Surely it's possible to get a better system for less money regardless of population when the current system is as broken as it is?
Lots of complex structural and systematic issues.

Let's try to solve one of them. One of the big issues in the US healthcare system is that the US pays 3.7x for the same drugs as compared to the EU (and UK, Norway). How do you propose to fix this?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
GM just announced an all electric Hummer going 0-60 in 3 secs. Here in MI the big three are investing billions building, expanding and retooling massive factories to crank out electric vehicles. Its also not like the oil industry s been cruising since Covid hit so from a voter perspective now may be the least controversial time to make that statement. Imho anyway.

matherto

If Biden had been on the ball enough he’d have mentioned Tesla factories running on solar power and touted it as the future.

Irwin99

There were genuinely times when Trump's tactics actually seemed to unsettle Biden, specifically the cages comment, and Trump's speaking was often clearer (never mind that what he said was just the usual ad hominem and unsubstantiated claims- you know what to expect by now).

So uninspiring and somewhat depressing. Got a bad feeling about this but i hope i'm wrong.

Abizzz

Lots of complex structural and systematic issues.

Let's try to solve one of them. One of the big issues in the US healthcare system is that the US pays 3.7x for the same drugs as compared to the EU (and UK, Norway). How do you propose to fix this?
Collective bargaining? The exact way the rest of the world has fixed it!?

Carolina Red

Staff
He said he would transition the oil industry, which, judging by all the Exxon commercials I see of them promoting themselves as an “energy” company and touting their research in renewable energy, is something that the oil industry is already doing anyway.

SinNombre

GM just announced an all electric Hummer going 0-60 in 3 secs. Here in MI the big three are investing billions building, expanding and retooling massive factories to crank out electric vehicles. Its also not like the oil industry s been cruising since Covid hit so from a voter perspective now may be the least controversial time to make that statement. Imho anyway.
VW's new EV ID.4 is having monster sales in the first month after launch. EV is here from all manufacturers. This won't even be a debate topic in a decade.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The other poster was clearly talking about copying a real "first world country" in Norway but clearly jumping to your talking points without reading is your strong suit.

It is blindingly obvious as I wrote in my OP that the Norwegian or Saudi social system is not one other countries can follow.
Sorry? I would think you are the one interpreting a general point about the ability of OECD countries ('first world' in @Red Stone's post) to provide universal healthcare for a point about oil countries giving it large. You can't just decide that a discussion can now only be about one aspect of an ambiguous post, that's ridiculous.

Also, speaking of misrepresentation, you didn't wrote an OP, you responded to @Red Stone who responded to @nimic, who started the conversation. And I would appreciate less ad hominem and more substance, if you could.

Status
Not open for further replies.