2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
No way Ohio goes.
How quickly we forget it was one of the main swing states until 2016. It's still polling slightly Trump, but Biden has polled up a point over the Orange Doofus several times in the last week or two. It's all within margin of error either way.

InfiniteBoredom

How quickly we forget it was one of the main swing states until 2016. It's still polling slightly Trump, but Biden has polled up a point over the Orange Doofus several times in the last week or two. It's all within margin of error either way.
It was shit for Dems apart from Sherrod Brown in 2018 as well and they won by 9 nationally.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
it stayed very red in 2018 even as most of the rest of the country including its neighbours turned blue. and for most of ths cycle its been polling more like texas than like wis/michigan/etc.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Hang on isnt biden 77 ... wont he be 78 in November - wouldnt he actually be in his 80's for the majority of his term if he wins election - and he has the authority to unilaterally launch nukes and kill the planet - yet a judge on a panel cant be in their 80's
Well, I would also argue that it's fairly insane that the US will have a president in his 80s in a few years. Obviously you can get into ageism arguments, but I don't think anyone can deny that this is an extremely demanding job and that one's physical and mental capabilities are not at their top anymore around 80. And then there is also an argument about being in touch with the country that could be had - although that gets trickier. In any case, the presidency is a public office, and you can't put any restrictions on people running for office outside existing voting restrictions (and even that could be subject to debate). SC judge is a job though. Does mandatory retirement exist in the US public service in any shape or form? In Canada, judges have to retire at 75; that seems fair enough to me.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This is scary as feck. The US really needs a healthy, modern Conservative to govern for 8 years. One that runs and governs on standard Conservative (Centre-Right) policy.

That alone would drag the country further left.

I worry for that country if The Lincoln Project gets sold for millions, makes the founders boatloads of cash, then the same level of cutting hit pieces being a weapon for a Trump/Pence/Miller right wing candidate.

Biden’s policies are largely right wing. Social policies less so. But in totality he would have been a Republican two decades ago in terms of policy.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Well, I would also argue that it's fairly insane that the US will have a president in his 80s in a few years. Obviously you can get into ageism arguments, but I don't think anyone can deny that this is an extremely demanding job and that one's physical and mental capabilities are not at their top anymore around 80. And then there is also an argument about being in touch with the country that could be had - although that gets trickier. In any case, the presidency is a public office, and you can't put any restrictions on people running for office outside existing voting restrictions (and even that could be subject to debate). SC judge is a job though. Does mandatory retirement exist in the US public service in any shape or form? In Canada, judges have to retire at 75; that seems fair enough to me.
dont you have to be 35 to run for president? (but you can vote at 18) so I guess something could be put in place about an upper limit?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This is turning into one of those shows where I have to go online halfway through to make sure the kid/dog doesn't die at the end, just so I know I can keep watching it. I wish I knew how next week is going to turn out so I could enjoy the Trump madness before it ends.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
dont you have to be 35 to run for president? (but you can vote at 18) so I guess something could be put in place about an upper limit?
In theory yes, but its constitutional and amending the constitution is a gigantic pain in the tits. You need a supermajority in BOTH chambers.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It was shit for Dems apart from Sherrod Brown in 2018 as well and they won by 9 nationally.
it stayed very red in 2018 even as most of the rest of the country including its neighbours turned blue. and for most of ths cycle its been polling more like texas than like wis/michigan/etc.
True. Fecking farmers..

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
In theory yes, but its constitutional and amending the constitution is a gigantic pain in the tits. You need a supermajority in BOTH chambers.
Ah OK.

Anyway, the discussion was about judges. How much of that is properly defined in the US constitution?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
This is turning into one of those shows where I have to go online halfway through to make sure the kid/dog doesn't die at the end, just so I know I can keep watching it. I wish I knew how next week is going to turn out so I could enjoy the Trump madness before it ends.
I dont think it ends... but the next chapter is Trump TV and eventually president Don Jnr

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Oompa Loompa has 1 week left.

America you have a chance to get rid of this tool. DO NOT let this chance go.

owlo

Term limit and age limit for SC justices aren’t necessary if the process of picking them is apolitical. The thing is when the current system of government was set up, there were a very limited pool of white men qualified enough for office in general, so the whole shebang of president naming nominations and Senate ‘advise and consent’ were all they could come up with anyway, since they all knew each other or ran in overlapping social/professional circles. It got outdated pretty fast as population grew and party politics became dominant.

Having appointments decided by an association of pre-eminent judges, constitutional scholars and lawyers would instantly solve much of the current issue with the court, no party would acquiesce to that though, since they’ve wised up to the Court’s power in shaping public policies.
My 2 cents. The primary problem is the court has amassed too much power in general. Remove that power, and it becomes less of a hugely partisan issue.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Haven't the founders paid themselves 10's of millions of dollars already from Democrat donations. The funny things is they are going to destroy future democrats whilst being built on Democrat's money and audience.
They've played the part they were supposed to, which is to help peel off a few percent of GOP votes from Trump. If Biden wins, they will obviously decouple from the previous goal and start doing establishment Republican work.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Anyway, the discussion was about judges. How much of that is properly defined in the US constitution?
None basically. It doesn't even say anything about a SCOTUS judge actually being a judge or having any legal training whatsoever. With a compliant senate, a President could literally nominate and have accepted a 4 year old constitutionally.

Abizzz

None basically. It doesn't even say anything about a SCOTUS judge actually being a judge or having any legal training whatsoever. With a compliant senate, a President could literally nominate and have accepted a 4 year old.
They already did.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
A. I do this
B. I am feeling exactly the same.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
This might be a massive r/woosh from me, but Gary Johnson was former governor of NM.

oh i misread it. i thought it was insulting pot-smokers from NM who voted jill stein.
well, i'm still mystified at the hate for gary johnson voters from liberals.

GiddyUp

Oompa Loompa has 1 week left.

America you have a chance to get rid of this tool. DO NOT let this chance go.
Then we have a very dangerous lame duck president and Senate that will do everything they can to feck over as many people as possible. Republicans are political sadists.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I hate shit like this:

https://news.yahoo.com/suburban-mom-demographic-supposedly-biden-110112890.html

Also posted in USA today.

Title makes it seem like she's just your average suburban mom and a "freelance writer" while conveniently leaving out she is a Fox news contributor (to F&F for instance) and is a former Santorum staffer. In other words its anything but your average opinion. The fact she's claiming many public institutions are flocking to support Trump instead and then just offers a detectives union as an example shows how disingenuous it is.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Why has it been so low there? They accounted for nearly a quarter of all votes nationally.
Beats me, just move here. As mentioned above, that number is from a newspaper article and not sourced so who knows if it is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.