2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Like father like son
Not at all. Trump Sr. is a highly accomplished con artist with a media apparatus at his disposal. Jr. is an unaccomplished loser in desperate search of his father's approval, when the father only likes the his eldest daughter.

InfiniteBoredom

With the rehabilitation W got with this current presidency, it’s not inconceivable for Ivanka 2024/28. Followed by Don Jr. 32/36.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Not at all. Trump Sr. is a highly accomplished con artist with a media apparatus at his disposal. Jr. is an unaccomplished loser in desperate search of his father's approval, when the father only likes the his eldest daughter.
Ivanka and donn jnr joint ticket with trump tv backing them all they way (until baron goes all caligula and takes over )

Drifter

American
These are the people Democrats abandoned.

West Virginia voter says he will vote Trump because 'he keeps the people to the TV set'

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
With the rehabilitation W got with this current presidency, it’s not inconceivable for Ivanka 2024/28. Followed by Don Jr. 32/36.
Dubya benefited from Trump's atrociousness and incompetence, which made his presidency seem not so bad. No president will ever be as bad as Donald J. Trump (we hope) so it's unlikely that his administration will ever be rehabilitated.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Dubya benefited from Trump's atrociousness and incompetence, which made his presidency seem not so bad.
Most of the rehabilitation seems to have been done by the time Obama finished his second term. And as bad as Trump is (dire, obviously), Bush Jr is still a war criminal who was instrumental in the death of hundreds of thousands of civilians. Honestly, it might be millions at this point, with the knock-on effects.

InfiniteBoredom

‘It can’t get worse than W’
‘It can’t get worse than Sarah Palin’

Honestly I don’t think there’s any depth the Republican Party won’t plunge to, it will take a bit of time but unless USA’s political system massively changes in the next decade, it’s inevitable that a right wing populist will rise up and get elected again, and Ivanka out of the Trump spawns is just about polished enough to be attractive to some of the librulz crowd, the same lot who screamed bloody murder while W were in office but are fawning over him now.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Most of the rehabilitation seems to have been done by the time Obama finished his second term. And as bad as Trump is (dire, obviously), Bush Jr is still a war criminal who was instrumental in the death of hundreds of thousands of civilians. Honestly, it might be millions at this point, with the knock-on effects.
Say what you will about what happened during Obama but Trump is the one responsible for us mostly forgetting about the war criminal stuff. Even after Obama, most would have argued Dubya as one of the worst presidents. Now the conversation doesn't even approach him.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Hard to tell really, I can’t find any regular polling on it after his presidency.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Still think Bush II was worse than Trump has been.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Globally I tend to agree although we will find out in the coming years how much he’s enabled Russia.

InfiniteBoredom

Makes sense if you live outside the US, definitely not if you live in the US though.
I think this is about right. W brought far more sufferings to the world at large, while Trump inflicted much bigger damage on American public discourse, institution and racial relation. Economic damage will be about the same.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Not even debatable. Bush was way worse.
In a way more so bc his administration laid all the regulatory and legislative groundwork for what has been happening these last few years. Whether its strengthening the power of executive orders (which ironically of course they then bitched about Obama using against them) - to politicizing the courts, empowering the likes of Fox and sheer contempt for holding their own accountable to name a few things - I agree. Without the W admin there wouldn't be a Trump admin. For the American people specifically though - nothing comes close to the destructive force that is Trump.

mu4c_20le

I think this is about right. W brought far more sufferings to the world at large, while Trump inflicted much bigger damage on American public discourse, institution and racial relation. Economic damage will be about the same.
To be fair, he literally started his term by suffering the worst attack in history on domestic soil.

owlo

Apples and fecking oranges.

Trying to compare Bush and Trump is like trying to compare Genghis Khan and Boris Johnson.

InfiniteBoredom

To be fair, he literally started his term by suffering the worst attack in history on domestic soil.
It’s well documented that he wanted to go into Iraq regardless of 9/11. Even if you think Afghanistan was justified, which I think most people would disagree, the attack is still no excuse for starting a war because he wants to resolve his daddy issues.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Makes sense if you live outside the US, definitely not if you live in the US though.
Based on conversations here and elsewhere, I would have guessed W is a much bigger point of fixation for foreigners than Americans at this point.

But I don’t think it is a particularly productive comparison. Donny is a whole different animal.

owlo

Genghis was also more tolerant of religion and freedom of expression. But he killed quite a few folk. It's quite funny; some months ago I was watching an undergrad History & International Relations class try to argue whether Genghis or Hitler was worse. Very few seemed to feel they might not be analogous.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Genghis was also more tolerant of religion and freedom of expression. But he killed quite a few folk. It's quite funny; some months ago I was watching an undergrad History & International Relations class try to argue whether Genghis or Hitler was worse. Very few seemed to feel they might not be analogous.
Responsible for up to 40m deaths and up to 10% of the global population at the time.

sport2793

It’s well documented that he wanted to go into Iraq regardless of 9/11. Even if you think Afghanistan was justified, which I think most people would disagree, the attack is still no excuse for starting a war because he wants to resolve his daddy issues.
Actually Afghanistan was justified only because it was basically an untouched safe haven for robustly training terrorists. The way they went about solving that issue though was a total disaster. The real crime was the Iraq war, which had literally zero valid justification. Rumsfeld, Cheney and co. had "unfinished business" there. I also believe that Cheney enriched himself via his links to Haliburton by waging war. Those folks really are war criminals for the suffering they caused and if they were in charge of any other country they would be on trial in the Hague.

owlo

Worse for who? Humanity?

Responsible for up to 40m deaths and up to 10% of the global population at the time.
Indeed, and many of those deaths in an absolutely horrific manner if you opposed or even disrespected him. But trying to compare him to somebody in the 20th-21st century is just nuts.

sport2793

To be fair, they killed everyone regardless of religion in their infamous massacres, that's a type of non-discrimination, right?

owlo

To be fair, they killed everyone regardless of religion in their infamous massacres, that's a type of non-discrimination, right?
If you kissed the ring, Genghis was pretty liberal. Submit peacefully to the horde or die. Come into the family, and you got a fair whack.

Actually Afghanistan was justified only because it was basically an untouched safe haven for robustly training terrorists. The way they went about solving that issue though was a total disaster. The real crime was the Iraq war, which had literally zero valid justification. Rumsfeld, Cheney and co. had "unfinished business" there. I also believe that Cheney enriched himself via his links to Haliburton by waging war. Those folks really are war criminals for the suffering they caused and if they were in charge of any other country they would be on trial in the Hague.
Afghanistan was happening whether Bush wanted it or not. Iraq was a huge clusterfeck with the way they went after the military and political class (against US military advice it must be said). Had they managed to transition, it was justified for me. (Just as an invasion of north korea would be)

Status
Not open for further replies.