2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yes, its something that has to be negotiated between all parties before it happens. The debate commission could technically force it to happen but not without a lot of push back from the side who don't want to shut up.
They showed some balls unilaterally determining that the next debate would be virtual. Hopefully they can still find their nuts & unilaterally institute the mute button for the next one as well.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Conversely there’s a good chance he will be in the helpless Senate minority once Biden takes over, so we will get to see him squeal about court packing and other topics.
Yeah, was thinking the same. As long as the Dems win the Senate, it's a nice prospect of seeing this guy reduced to spluttering on the sidelines and seeing his work being torn down. (Hoping that's what the Dems will quickly do, anyway.)

Jericholyte2

Conversely there’s a good chance he will be in the helpless Senate minority once Biden takes over, so we will get to see him squeal about court packing and other topics.
It would be just absolutely delicious to see him, for 4 years, being referred to as ‘Senate Minority Leader’ Mitch McConnell!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It would be just absolutely delicious to see him, for 4 years, being referred to as ‘Senate Minority Leader’ Mitch McConnell!
McConnell, Ron Johnson, Cruz, and Rubio would be entertaining to watch in the minority. Same as all the clowns over in the House (Nunes/Gaetz/Gym Jordan et al).

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
They can turn his mike off which would mean no one at home can hear him.
Yes, I did suggest this a day or so ago. But it was reasonably pointed out that Biden, the moderator and probably the studio audience would still hear him - and that it would still disturb Biden, throw him off his stride, all whilst the TV audience wouldn't be able to see why and might conclude that's he floundering around

Suv666

Pete has been driving them nuts over at Fox over the past 24 hours.

Eloquently destroyed. Its best to remain as stoic as possible when facing questions from the right wing media. They enjoy winding people up, as soon as you show emotion you've lost and you're fodder for the eventual owning the libs youtube compilation.

Sweet Square

Oh yeah, he definitely had very patriarchal moments. I got that sense, too. I might not go as far as white male supremacy as that's just correlated circumstance but he had a very "ok sweetie" tone throughout.
Pence is a weird one.

The overzealous religious bigoted in him of course means he hates basically anyone who doesn't look, sound and act like him but he's also a massive bootlicker to the American political system. While there was some patriarchal moments from him, he also very sincerely congratulated Harris on becoming the VP during the debate. Also Harris basically told him to shut up and to stop interrupting her and like a little bitch Pence took it and stood in silence.

Imo it's not so much white supremacy but more upper class degeneracy.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Pence is a weird one.

The overzealous religious bigoted in him of course means he hates basically anyone who doesn't look, sound and act like him but he's also a massive bootlicker to the American political system. While there was some patriarchal moments from him, he also very sincerely congratulated Harris on becoming the VP during the debate. Also Harris basically told him to shut up and to stop interrupting her and like a little bitch Pence took it and stood in silence.

Imo it's not so much white supremacy but more upper class degeneracy.
He was at least somewhat respectful of the expected decorum, I'll give him that. You can tell he's a true politician.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yes, I did suggest this a day or so ago. But it was reasonably pointed out that Biden, the moderator and probably the studio audience would still hear him - and that it would still disturb Biden, throw him off his stride, all whilst the TV audience wouldn't be able to see why and might conclude that's he floundering around
I don't think Trump would keep talking if he knew no one in the audience (as in TV audience) could hear him.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I found her annoying at times during the campaign, but she has generally been normalized at this point. She was never going to win the Presidency (unlike Hillary), but its hard to say she wouldn't make a capable VP.
Shes a perfectly capable VP.

People are getting twisted because I’m acknowledging how weird she is.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I just find the comment unusual, especially the insistence that it be taken in isolation after an event that had Harris and Pence side by side on our screens.
I can’t help you if you need a side by side comparison. That may be why you appreciate American Media, but in Europe, we can judge things without a side by side compare and contrast.

If you can’t judge her oddities unless you use Pence as a counterweight, that’s on you man.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think you're giving him far too much credit. It's in his nature to bully.
Not if no one can hear his bullying. Ultimately, he's a carnival barker who needs an audience to be effective at what he does. Turning off his mike would scare the hell out of him, which is why he's so scared of doing a virtual debate.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Not if no one can hear his bullying. Ultimately, he's a carnival barker who needs an audience to be effective at what he does. Turning off his mike would scare the hell out of him, which is why he's so scared of doing a virtual debate.
Definitely, as far as the virtual debate goes. But in a physical debate, if he's close enough, I think he'd still try to bully Biden. He might not even realize his microphone was shut off. We'll see in the second debate, I suppose, which I understand is going to be postponed by otherwise go as normal. Surely they have to come up with something to avoid what happened last time.

Dr. Dwayne

I can’t help you if you need a side by side comparison. That may be why you appreciate American Media, but in Europe, we can judge things without a side by side compare and contrast.

If you can’t judge her oddities unless you use Pence as a counterweight, that’s on you man.
That's kind of the point during an election in a two party system, isn't it?

UnrelatedPsuedo

That's kind of the point during an election in a two party system, isn't it?
No. Of course not. Stop doubling down on stupidity.

Had I said ‘Vote Trump-Pence, Harris is weird’... then yes, you have a point.

All I said was ‘Harris is weird’.

You’re tying yourself up in knots to suggest I can’t criticise her as Pence is also weird.

Go get some fresh air. You’ve on a grassy knoll, not Everest. It’s not rarified air you’re breathing, it’s exhaust fumes.

owlo

Warren would have been way too easy of a target. Especially in light of the attacks the opposition tried to land on them being anti "law and order" - which - as Pence ironically said yesterday himself- is the exact opposite of Harris.
i know, it made no electoral sense. I just like her and I think she’d make a good president as long as congress tempered her somewhat. I feel Harris is just a politician who sails with the wind.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
One of the drugs taken by Donald Trump that he has touted as a potential “cure” for coronavirus was developed using human cells originally obtained from an elective abortion, a practice repeatedly denounced by the president and many of his supporters.

The drug is a monoclonal antibody cocktail developed by Regeneron. The president received an 8-gram infusion under a “compassionate use” exemption when he was hospitalized over the weekend after testing positive for Covid-19. There is no cure for Covid-19, and the drug is not approved.

The stem cells used to develop the drug are known as HEK-293T cells, a line of cells used in laboratories. The cells were originally derived from an embryonic kidney after an elective abortion performed in the Netherlands in the 1970s.

Trump has consistently sought to restrict abortion access, including most recently, when he nominated the conservative Catholic Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the supreme court last month. The anti-abortion movement is one of Trump’s most enthusiastic bases of support.

The 2020 Republican party platform explicitly opposes embryonic stem cell research, and calls for a ban on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...g-developed-using-cells-derived-from-abortion

Dr. Dwayne

No. Of course not. Stop doubling down on stupidity.

Had I said ‘Vote Trump-Pence, Harris is weird’... then yes, you have a point.

All I said was ‘Harris is weird’.

You’re tying yourself up in knots to suggest I can’t criticise her as Pence is also weird.

Go get some fresh air. You’ve on a grassy knoll, not Everest. It’s not rarified air you’re breathing, it’s exhaust fumes.
Nope, you're free to criticize her. I just find it odd, owing to who her opponent is.

sport2793

One of the drugs taken by Donald Trump that he has touted as a potential “cure” for coronavirus was developed using human cells originally obtained from an elective abortion, a practice repeatedly denounced by the president and many of his supporters.

The drug is a monoclonal antibody cocktail developed by Regeneron. The president received an 8-gram infusion under a “compassionate use” exemption when he was hospitalized over the weekend after testing positive for Covid-19. There is no cure for Covid-19, and the drug is not approved.

The stem cells used to develop the drug are known as HEK-293T cells, a line of cells used in laboratories. The cells were originally derived from an embryonic kidney after an elective abortion performed in the Netherlands in the 1970s.

Trump has consistently sought to restrict abortion access, including most recently, when he nominated the conservative Catholic Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the supreme court last month. The anti-abortion movement is one of Trump’s most enthusiastic bases of support.

The 2020 Republican party platform explicitly opposes embryonic stem cell research, and calls for a ban on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...g-developed-using-cells-derived-from-abortion
Ok this is extremely misleading. The cells themselves (HEK-293T) are not actually stem cells anymore, I should know as I just threw some away that were growing in a plastic flask 5 minutes ago. They were derived from an embryonic kidney many decades ago but you cannot call them stem cells anymore or equate them to the embryonic stem cells that folks normally think of.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Ok this is extremely misleading. The cells themselves (HEK-293T) are not actually stem cells anymore, I should know as I just threw some away that were growing in a plastic flask 5 minutes ago. They were derived from an embryonic kidney many decades ago but you cannot call them stem cells anymore or equate them to the embryonic stem cells that folks normally think of.
Besides, these days the likelihood that the tube labeled HEK-293 in a researchers freezer is actually still HEK-293 is not great.

:D

Thankfully some journals are now requiring Cell Line Authentication.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I'm sad that science has gotten in the way of accusing the President of hypocrisy, but thank you for the correction!

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
I know they said they put up the transparent screens because of Rona but clearly it was to keep away Kamala from that sexbeast Pence and his pheromones.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Has there ever been an election where European nations actually wanted the Republican to win? I cannot think of one.
True. It's because even the Democrat Party sits to the political right of most European 'Conservative' (or similar) mainstream parties - parties that are considered to be right-of-centre on the conventional left-right spectrum.

Take healthcare as an example. Biden is not in favour of universal and comprehensive free-healthcare for all, paid out of taxation. But the Conservative Party in the UK is in favour of this - or at least feel that they have to be because it's so universally popular.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
So the President is putting out a hit on his opponent. That's what's happening here.
Yep. Luckily Biden has a full Secret Service protection assigned to him. He might well need it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

So in a cruder words, they harvest organs from unborn babies and sold it to the highest bidder???

owlo

Interesting that there's been no real movement in Montana against either Trump or Daines.

I'd be REALLY interested to see some good quality Alaska polling. If the nationwide trend holds, I see it as practically a toss up. It should certainly be no redder than say, SC.

NH got some nice polling today (NH is interesting, rust belt voting not in the rust belt) and pretty much confirms the shift. I wouldn't expect much for trump in the likes of PA or Min

Florida looks solid too, though is hard to predict. AZ a little concerning though the higher quality polling looks good.

IA OH and NC surprisingly have a blue tint. Even TX.

Noose is tightening though. His path to 270, or even 230 or so (the minimum he needs to try to steal the election realistically) is very narrow.

I wrote about it a few days ago, and 538 did an article today, and my opinion is still that Graham will keep his seat. Tillis is toast though.

Status
Not open for further replies.