2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suv666

this party was responsible for the murder of ~500 muslims in riots in 1992. they are corrupt and tied with dirty real estate people. they are street thugs who can close down the city whenever they want. their founder quoted mussolini
feck Modi and the BJP

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Firstly, using the term 'lesser of two evils' is just a turn of phrase, most people using it don't mean that both sides are evil, in the way you're using the word. Which is correct, no one should ever elect any leader that is genuinely evil.

If you genuinely believe that Joe Biden is an evil man, then I agree, you shouldn't vote for him. That's your right. Although I am curious - did you vote for Obama? Because...well obvious logical steps.

Personally I believe you're going to struggle to find a candidate who has worked in politics for 40 years that hasn't made decisions that hugely grate against your beliefs. Especially one that has worked in the senate, where it's often been controlled by the other party. And you're not helping when you say he should be in jail for supporting US military ventures - because virtually every US politician has supported most US military ventures. So jails would be even more full, but you're clearly correctly against mass incarceration, so that's not a great solution either.

From all that I've read and researched, I certainly don't believe that Joe Biden is an evil man. He's made many mistakes and he's supported things that have had terrible ramifications on both his country and the world. He's also done many good things in his time, and been part of great movements towards progressive ideals. He has different views now than he did 30 years ago - and there's nothing hypocritical about that.

Your ideal is revolution. From where I sit that won't happen. On January 20th 2021, the US will either have President Biden, or President Trump sworn in.
I'm not American, I've lived in the US since 2015. The example i gave of voting for a fascist to keep other fascists out was in india.
I think Biden is evil, and so are most mainstream politicians. That list of things of his - anti-bussing and Iraq at the top - are for me enough to call someone evil. Lots of innocent people died as a result. His economic and criminal justice policies ruined the lives of many too.

But again, as with the local fascists in india, i was willing to vote for a really evil party since i felt the alternative is worse. all i'm saying is that - criticism of these people should be evaluated properly. I think biden's words about Venezuela are dangerous - last time it was Hillary on Syria and Ukraine. It doesnt mean Putin is paying me or i have some hidden agenda. i've said everything i believe about biden and trump quite openly here.

I think the nature of the job means many politicians are involved in dirty business. Biden, Trump, the Clintons, Bush, are very heavily involved in the dirtiest stuff. You posted a NYT article about increasing inequality. Dems have been in charge for 40% of the time since inequality started increasing. Biden was the head of several senate committees and was VP. Many of his decisions contribute to that inequality, and many of his current advisors are people from the 90s who pushed those policies. This isn't a question of 30+ years ago - the author or the welfare cuts is a senior advisor to him, the author of the Wall St bailout is another senior advisor, and Iraq was something he passionately supported and is much more recent.

feck Modi and the BJP
i was talking about voting for shiv sena to keep bjp out in mumbai.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
@Beachryan I'm curious what you think are all the good things Biden has done. He was a big part of the rotten 94 crime bill and massive tough on crime push which caused far more harm than good.

If you Google Biden accomplishments you get
"Biden led the efforts to pass the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act and the Violence Against Women Act. In 2008, Biden was the running mate of Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama."

Suv666

i was talking about voting for shiv sena to keep bjp out in mumbai.
I thought you were talking about Congress or AAP.
Both parties have done some atrocious shite but still Shiv Sena is better than the facist cnuts at BJP. Anything to keep BJP out of power. Similar to voting for Biden.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
@Beachryan I'm curious what you think are all the good things Biden has done. He was a big part of the rotten 94 crime bill and massive tough on crime push which caused far more harm than good.

If you Google Biden accomplishments you get
"Biden led the efforts to pass the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act and the Violence Against Women Act. In 2008, Biden was the running mate of Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama."
Again, I'm not saying he was my choice or he's a great choice, just don't believe he is evil in the same way as a Trump or certainly other leaders out there. Also I'm not sure that Larry Summers is actually an advisor or not, but yeah that guy sucks.

I agree and think just about everyone involved in the 94 crime bill would acknowledge the outcomes have been a disaster.

As to what he's been good at, in more recent times he's credited with pushing Obama to act on same sex marriage, and made the first public support comments from WH. And yes, that is a different position than he took in the 90's. He apparently led a lot of the negotiations to get the ACA passed. He's pushed climate change bills and seems to have that as a key component of his platform.

But it doesn't hugely matter, because the only choice is him or Trump. And he will bring in actual experts to do their jobs, have full time people serving on the cabinet, listen to the intelligence community, work with world leaders, not scrap the ACA, push climate change and so forth.

To me it's like the US is stuck out in the ocean drowning after the Trump ship sailed away, a beaten up little whaler is offering a hand up, but some folks are saying well it's not a luxury vessel, so we'd rather drown.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Again, I'm not saying he was my choice or he's a great choice, just don't believe he is evil in the same way as a Trump or certainly other leaders out there. Also I'm not sure that Larry Summers is actually an advisor or not, but yeah that guy sucks.

I agree and think just about everyone involved in the 94 crime bill would acknowledge the outcomes have been a disaster.

As to what he's been good at, in more recent times he's credited with pushing Obama to act on same sex marriage, and made the first public support comments from WH. And yes, that is a different position than he took in the 90's. He apparently led a lot of the negotiations to get the ACA passed. He's pushed climate change bills and seems to have that as a key component of his platform.

But it doesn't hugely matter, because the only choice is him or Trump. And he will bring in actual experts to do their jobs, have full time people serving on the cabinet, listen to the intelligence community, work with world leaders, not scrap the ACA, push climate change and so forth.

To me it's like the US is stuck out in the ocean drowning after the Trump ship sailed away, a beaten up little whaler is offering a hand up, but some folks are saying well it's not a luxury vessel, so we'd rather drown.
Sure, if the argument is just "swing state voters should support Biden over Trump" then I agree.

But let's not pretend Biden is not a large part of the problems of the last 40 years. Regarding the ACA, Biden helped insurance companies kill a public option. And some of the experts he listens to are just Wall Street shills.

The Violence Against Women act and climate change are about the best I can see he's done in his life and those are lukewarm compared to what should have been done. Compared to all the harm, his actions caused a lot more "evil" than "good" imo.

Sadly Biden's greatest appeal is simply he won't be as horrific as Trump. That hopefully wins him the election but it's nothing to celebrate

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
THERE’S A WAR GOING ON OVER KAMALA HARRIS’S WIKIPEDIA PAGE, WITH UNFLATTERING ELEMENTS VANISHING

At least one highly dedicated Wikipedia user has been scrubbing controversial aspects of Harris’s “tough-on-crime” record from her Wikipedia page, her decision not to prosecute Steve Mnuchin for mortgage fraud-related crimes, her strong support of prosecutors in Orange County who engaged in rampant misconduct, and other tidbits — such as her previous assertion that “it is not progressive to be soft on crime” — that could prove unflattering to Harris as the public first gets to know her on the national stage. The edits, according to the page history, have elicited strong pushback from Wikipedia’s volunteer editor brigade, and have drawn the page into controversy, though it’s a fight the pro-Harris editor is currently winning.

In 2016, The Atlantic published an article about Wikipedia edits and how a burst of activity could foreshadow Hillary Clinton’s vice presidential pick, noting that Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine’s page had seen significantly more edits than any other candidate’s in the weeks leading up to the announcement. The article also cited a 2008 Washington Post report about Sarah Palin’s Wikipedia page seeing more than 65 edits in the hours leading up to John McCain’s announcement.

Last month, a Reddit user remembered this Atlantic piece and wrote a Jupyter script to see which 2020 vice presidential contender had the most edits in a span of three weeks: Harris had 408, Stacey Abrams had 66, Sen. Elizabeth Warren had 22, and Sen. Amy Klobuchar had four. Another Redditor pointed out that a majority of Harris’s edits were coming from a single person.

https://theintercept.com/2020/07/02/kamala-harris-wikipedia/

Drifter

American
2020 House Elections | QT Politics

2020 Senate Elections - Can Democrats Take Back the Senate?

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This election is not about biden.

It's about whether Trump can maintain his base. Thank goodness he kept scoring own goal and doubling down.

Any other president not being trump, Biden won't stand a chance. Even now I'm not confident he'll win comfortably. He should be vert careful not to do something wrong which trump can drill home and exploit like with Hillarys emails.

As much as i dont like trump he's right about one thing. Joe biden looks sleepy all the time.

Eriku

2020 about to go off the hoooooook!

Elon Musk tweets that he's got his full support. How are political junkies on the Caf feelin' about President Yeezy?

WPMUFC

2020 about to go off the hoooooook!

Elon Musk tweets that he's got his full support. How are political junkies on the Caf feelin' about President Yeezy?
"man with genuine mental illness gives up Trump"

WPMUFC

Dude that sent it to me is a Trump voter.
hahahaha of course. I sat there for a good few moments and thought "is that a democrat claiming it's a trump trick for African American votes to harm biden, or a Trump nutcase claiming Trump is playing 4D chess"

Plus i've seen multiple posts under his twitter claiming it's a ploy against biden. Horseshoe theory wins again!! :houllier:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
hahahaha of course. I sat there for a good few moments and thought "is that a democrat claiming it's a trump trick for African American votes to harm biden, or a Trump nutcase claiming Trump is playing 4D chess"

Plus i've seen multiple posts under his twitter claiming it's a ploy against biden. Horseshoe theory wins again!! :houllier:
More likely its just Kanye being Kanye and wanting attention with musk thinking attention... wheres mine

Think it was 2015 he first spoke about a run in 2020... though he later suggested 2024

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...use-donald-trump-kim-kardashian-a8518051.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...t-to-run-for-president-in-2020-10479251.html0

Last edited:

Cloud7

Fist Lady Kim Kardashian.
Ironically with her legal studies, and some of the work that she’s done with trying to get people free from jail sentences, Kim would probably make a better president candidate than Yeezy:lol::nervous:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Mail in Ballots in November

I have a feeling this is going to cause a huge problem because correct me if I'm wrong but its likley to cause a huge delay to the announcement of the results.

Normally the result is declared on the day (sans hanging chads) but mail in ballots only have to be posted on the day to be valid... add in a couple of days for the post to arrive and then opening all the envelopes and adding results - we are probably looking at a week.

And in that week I doubt Trump is going to remain silent and whilst the next part is speculation I think it is grounded in logic...

There seems to be a clear political divide about shutdowns, masks and in general the risks of CV19 and as such I can see a situation where more republicans are happy to stand in lines to vote in person than democrats and given that could easily give rise to the following situation - The in person ballots indicates a victory for trump and he just comes out and declares victory and says the mail in ballots are tainted by fraud - and you know what i can see his gun toting MAGA crowd going for that.

now if the mail in ballots then show a victory for biden I cant imagine this being a situation thats resolved by a shake of the hand and a call for unity (Gore - partisan rancor must be put aside) - its probably going to the supreme court, an FBI investigation and given recent events I wouldn't even rule out pitched battles in the streets.

I can even see armed gangs of republicans "ensuring election security" and demanding people remove masks and show ID to vote ... I honestly cant see a way this election goes smoothly

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Mail in Ballots in November

I have a feeling this is going to cause a huge problem because correct me if I'm wrong but its likley to cause a huge delay to the announcement of the results.

Normally the result is declared on the day (sans hanging chads) but mail in ballots only have to be posted on the day to be valid... add in a couple of days for the post to arrive and then opening all the envelopes and adding results - we are probably looking at a week.

And in that week I doubt Trump is going to remain silent and whilst the next part is speculation I think it is grounded in logic...

There seems to be a clear political divide about shutdowns, masks and in general the risks of CV19 and as such I can see a situation where more republicans are happy to stand in lines to vote in person than democrats and given that could easily give rise to the following situation - The in person ballots indicates a victory for trump and he just comes out and declares victory and says the mail in ballots are tainted by fraud - and you know what i can see his gun toting MAGA crowd going for that.

now if the mail in ballots then show a victory for biden I cant imagine this being a situation thats resolved by a shake of the hand and a call for unity (Gore - partisan rancor must be put aside) - its probably going to the supreme court, an FBI investigation and given recent events I wouldn't even rule out pitched battles in the streets.

I can even see armed gangs of republicans "ensuring election security" and demanding people remove masks and show ID to vote ... I honestly cant see a way this election goes smoothly
All of this will happen in some form or another. GOP states can declare without waiting for mail in votes too, and it would likely go up to the supreme court...so yeah. It's some proper banana republic stuff.

America is so fecked if they do the wrong thing in November.

iKnowNothing

Kanye announces he’s running for president and now there’s a few top posts on Reddit talking about how much money his companies got from the Covid-19 relief pool for small businesses (not sure what it’s called).

The timing seems highly suspect. These campaign managers don’t wait to dig up dirt.

Makes me wonder, how many such shady stuff is going on behind the scenes that we’re not aware of.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Kanye announces he’s running for president and now there’s a few top posts on Reddit talking about how much money his companies got from the Covid-19 relief pool for small businesses (not sure what it’s called).

The timing seems highly suspect. These campaign managers don’t wait to dig up dirt.

Makes me wonder, how many such shady stuff is going on behind the scenes that we’re not aware of.
Just think about the insane amount that already came to light these last few years and then consider that the majority of the shady stuff probably remains hidden. Just think about things that probably go on at your very own workplace you know that are shady or fishy. And that's just what happens in your immediate environment.

Fergies Gum

Slightly annoying to see so many people send money to a candidate who is going to lose by double digits.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Slightly annoying to see so many people send money to a candidate who is going to lose by double digits.
It might seem like a waste, but the Dems have to vigorously attack the GOP everywhere in the country, not just give up on big swathes of the nation allowing the Republicans to control the narrative in those areas. They won't win this time around, but it might start moving the needle for future elections.

Fergies Gum

It might seem like a waste, but the Dems have to vigorously attack the GOP everywhere in the country, not just give up on big swathes of the nation allowing the Republicans to control the narrative in those areas. They won't win this time around, but it might start moving the needle for future elections.
Some of the senate races will be very tight and the difference between winning and losing will likely come down to a margin of 1-2%. Focusing on those seats (North Carolina, Maine, Arizona, Georgia, Iowa, Montana) should be the only priority if you want to take back the senate.

It would just be infuriating if the GOP held on to their senate majority by 1 seat and the likes of McGrath/Harrison raise over $100 million combined during the election cycle and both lose by over double digits.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Some of the senate races will be very tight and the difference between winning and losing will likely come down to a margin of 1-2%. Focusing on those seats (North Carolina, Maine, Arizona, Georgia, Iowa, Montana) should be the only priority if you want to take back the senate.

It would just be infuriating if the GOP held on to their senate majority by 1 seat and the likes of McGrath/Harrison raise over $100 million combined during the election cycle and both lose by over double digits.
I do understand the argument, but largely giving up on the red states has mostly led to the Republicans being free to pour their cash into targeted areas. If Dems are hitting them at home they have to defend, and that’s money they aren’t spending elsewhere too,

Also it’s jist crappy strategy. As Trump showed all too well in 2016 (and we saw in the U.K. elections too) there’s no such thing as an unwinnable seat. But if you have no political apparatus in place and no funding and no effort is spent, then they will remain unbeatable.

In this age of modern communications all campaigns should be following 50 state strategies at least at some level.

nimic

something nice
Scout
So, I was curious to see how Biden's poll lead compared against Hilarys in '16 and it looks almost identical.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e...ral_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html#polls
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e...neral_election_trump_vs_biden-6247.html#polls

Looks like Trump could still win it.
Maybe, but the circumstances have changed.

Keep in mind that Trump didn't even get a majority of votes in the Republican primary, and he was quite unpopular to begin with. The months up to the election were used to make the GOP the party of Trump, and almost every high profile Republican eventually supported him (even the one whose wife Trump had called ugly, and whose father Trump had said was the Zodiac killer). Trump is now basically as popular with the GOP base as it's possible to get, so he doesn't have the same potential for easy growth in support.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Status
Not open for further replies.