2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Firestarter

I don't trust any of this to continue. Our political attention span is about 30 seconds. The race can only get closer in the next few months, which will turn the media into 'TRUMP COMEBACK!' mode.

Also, Trump can comfortably lose the popular vote by 5% and still win the election. So all these leads need that to be taken into account.

All that matters is November.
It depends how the rona crisis unfolds. Currently it's fully saturating the news feeds and bunker bitch can't change the narrative.

Fergies Gum

Last edited:

GiddyUp

What answer are you looking for ? I get the frustration but also it's kind of clear now that there isn't a "left" in the United State, if someone wants universal healthcare, anti war policies and better worker rights than atm they have no political representation, as Gore Vidal put it - 'In America there are only reactionaries and conservatives'.

So trying to make them care about mainstream/bourgeois politics or whatever the hell is happening with supreme court isn't going to materialise into anything productive. Giving a shit or not about RBG health bar and if her conservatism is better than Trumps isn't a sign of pragmatic politics or "utopian" idealism it's just an individual personal preference and as about useful as picking Coke over Pepsi.

A lot of the time these conversations are really happening at two different frequencies without anyone really knowing tbh.
There is a left, they just don't vote because of their own purity tests. They cut off their nose to spite their face and then complain that people like their noses. We actually had a big time Bernie supporter here who thought it was quite ok to call Joe Biden a pedophile because he was unhappy with his past policies. Times fecking change and people's opinions change based on facts and outcomes. To ignore that at this point makes no sense. We live in crazy times, why make it exponentially worse?
The reality is there are two parties in this system and I for one would rather fight for a better life for everyone with Democrats in power instead of a borderline facist, anti science and downright cnuty party.
That's the fecking question I'm asking and the poster still hasn't answered who which party comes closer to his values. He would rather demean and throw shit around then actually be an adult about it. You can sing and fecking dance all you want but if you don't vote in America you get cnuts and end up becoming one yourself. Anyone, and I mean anyone that refuses to vote this time round after everything that's happened is a fool. I would rather see the progressive part of a cowardly party fight for us while in power than have them wasting their time explaining basic science and morality to a wanker.
You can't enact change by sitting on your arse complaining and the reality is it's a shitty choice between Trump v Biden. What's your choice? Because I for one am sick of Betsy Devos trying to infect my child just to make a nasty joke of a man look good in front of the mouth breathers and the daughter he wants to feck. It's not even a fecking debate right now, we can have that after a normal person is put in charge. There are some great members of the Democratic party coming through. I would rather not dampen their voices because the party shit the bed and nominated someone they thought could beat Trump, they may well turn out to be right. No one I know is happy with Biden being the nominee but the next four years would be more beneficial to all of us with the democratic party running the show instead of what we see now. Wouldn't you agree with that at least?

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
There is a left, they just don't vote because of their own purity tests. They cut off their nose to spite their face and then complain that people like their noses. We actually had a big time Bernie supporter here who thought it was quite ok to call Joe Biden a pedophile because he was unhappy with his past policies. Times fecking change and people's opinions change based on facts and outcomes. To ignore that at this point makes no sense. We live in crazy times, why make it exponentially worse?
The reality is there are two parties in this system and I for one would rather fight for a better life for everyone with Democrats in power instead of a borderline facist, anti science and downright cnuty party.
That's the fecking question I'm asking and the poster still hasn't answered who which party comes closer to his values. He would rather demean and throw shit around then actually be an adult about it. You can sing and fecking dance all you want but if you don't vote in America you get cnuts and end up becoming one yourself. Anyone, and I mean anyone that refuses to vote this time round after everything that's happened is a fool. I would rather see the progressive part of a cowardly party fight for us while in power than have them wasting their time explaining basic science and morality to a wanker.
You can't enact change by sitting on your arse complaining and the reality is it's a shitty choice between Trump v Biden. What's your choice? Because I for one am sick of Betsy Devos trying to infect my child just to make a nasty joke of a man look good in front of the mouth breathers and the daughter he wants to feck. It's not even a fecking debate right now, we can have that after a normal person is put in charge. There are some great members of the Democratic party coming through. I would rather not dampen their voices because the party shit the bed and nominated someone they though could beat Trump, they may well turn out to be right. No one I know is happy with Biden being the nominee but the next four years would be more beneficial to all of us with the democratic party running the show instead of what we see now. Wouldn't you agree with that at least?
Good post.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The reality is there are two parties in this system and I for one would rather fight for a better life for everyone with Democrats in power
the dem nominee voted and enthusiastically supported a venture to kill hundreds of thousands of people abroad, wrote a bill to lock up millions at home, and deported more people than bush and trump.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You can't enact change by sitting on your arse complaining and the reality is it's a shitty choice between Trump v Biden. What's your choice? Because I for one am sick of Betsy Devos trying to infect my child just to make a nasty joke of a man look good in front of the mouth breathers and the daughter he wants to feck. It's not even a fecking debate right now, we can have that after a normal person is put in charge. There are some great members of the Democratic party coming through. I would rather not dampen their voices because the party shit the bed and nominated someone they thought could beat Trump, they may well turn out to be right. No one I know is happy with Biden being the nominee but the next four years would be more beneficial to all of us with the democratic party running the show instead of what we see now. Wouldn't you agree with that at least?
Also, there’s a nuanced middle ground that can be taken between left leaning progressives and regular Dems, which is to form a coalition of loosely affiliated allies to win, regain power, then work on policy together. If Bernie Sanders, AOC, Chomsky et al. can galvanize behind electing Biden, then literally anything is possible.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If Bernie Sanders, AOC, Chomsky et al. can galvanize behind electing Biden, then literally anything is possible.
Bernie, AOC, and Chomsky have supported the Democratic nominee in every election since they've been alive, and have been rewarded with a party far to the right of the party in the 70s.

GiddyUp

Good post.
I would also like to add that I agree with entropy regularly, not the likes of the RGB comment but he does have it down. But this is the way it is right now and no matter what some people think there is a right choice to make in November. This is obviously a left leaning forum, right wingers don't last too long because they don't have an A game to bring. We tend to agree more often than not. But its really not fair, especially to posters who are American or live here, to pull long dead rabbits out of a hat and shout "SEE" just because we don't want a bunch of arseholes destroying everything around us just so they can swindle cash and play to the dumbest people in society. Democrats can be pushed and pulled but the Republican party is long gone and shouldn't have a place at any table right now.

GiddyUp

the dem nominee voted and enthusiastically supported a venture to kill hundreds of thousands of people abroad, wrote a bill to lock up millions at home, and deported more people than bush and trump.
So I should vote for trump then? How many Republicans voted for those policies?

GiddyUp

Bernie, AOC, and Chomsky have supported the Democratic nominee in every election since they've been alive, and have been rewarded with a party far to the right of the party in the 70s.
That is a span of 50 years buddy. Can you not get your head in to today's game?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
So I should vote for trump then? How many Republicans voted for those policies?
You made a claim about Dems bettering everyone's lives, I said they aren't, and you said that GOP don't do it either. Ok. Productive conversation. I've said before - you want to make a lesser of 2 evils case, make the honest case. The rest of your post is better in that regard.

That is a span of 50 years buddy. Can you not get your head in to today's game?
Yes, I am talking about a trend that started then and is reaching its conclusions now. From the Democratic New Deal and Civil Rights coalitions there was a Republican backlash that created Nixon and Reagan, from that the Demomcratic response was to abandon the New Deal and go hard on crime (the first success of this was Clinton), which is the politics we live in now.
This rightward shift is poised to continue based on the latest polling data. Holdouts like AOC are going to see their members and ideas swept out by the ultimate success of the CLinton's long term project - the realignment of suburbs and older white voters due to Trump's mishandling of Covid.
Unless Biden fecks it up badly enough that the first two years see these new Democrats return home to the GOP for the 2022 midterms, the Democrats will have a new social composition. White suburbanites, white college degrees, a significant portion of retirees, and the usual sweep among black voters, but even more disproportionately older ones this time - with younger people more checked out than usual. Of course, if they manage it, they willl never lose. The people who will lose are the planet, the rest of the world, and poor Americans.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Surely you'd think they would stop doing it then. Instead they do it nonetheless.

Drifter

American
Accept that as not happened before and won't under Biden.

GiddyUp

You made a claim about Dems bettering everyone's lives, I said they aren't, and you said that GOP don't do it either. Ok. Productive conversation. I've said before - you want to make a lesser of 2 evils case, make the honest case. The rest of your post is better in that regard.

Yes, I am talking about a trend that started then and is reaching its conclusions now. From the Democratic New Deal and Civil Rights coalitions there was a Republican backlash that created Nixon and Reagan, from that the Demomcratic response was to abandon the New Deal and go hard on crime (the first success of this was Clinton), which is the politics we live in now.
This rightward shift is poised to continue based on the latest polling data. Holdouts like AOC are going to see their members and ideas swept out by the ultimate success of the CLinton's long term project - the realignment of suburbs and older white voters due to Trump's mishandling of Covid.
Unless Biden fecks it up badly enough that the first two years see these new Democrats return home to the GOP for the 2022 midterms, the Democrats will have a new social composition. White suburbanites, white college degrees, a significant portion of retirees, and the usual sweep among black voters, but even more disproportionately older ones this time - with younger people more checked out than usual. Of course, if they manage it, they willl never lose. The people who will lose are the planet, the rest of the world, and poor Americans.
Dems are making my family's life better. Do we not count?

GiddyUp

Accept that as not happened before and won't under Biden.
Says you. Look at the bills sitting on McConnell's desk. It seems there is a coalition of sorts is coming together in the Dem party. Still a lot of old feckers to purge but I guess we should all just lay down and be a moaning cnut.

GiddyUp

That a lot of assumptions.

Sweet Square

That a lot of assumptions.
Never mind.

Sweet Square

I understand you're argument about voting for Biden(lesser of two evils)but you're not making any attempt to engage with the arguments presented against you.

You can't claim there is an American left out there, who are all just sitting at home not voting because of purity tests when the reality is Bernie lost two primaries contests, there's at best a hand full of left wing politicians in the US political system and that the DSA wouldn't be able to fill Yankees Stadium in a country of 360 million. Or to claim the Democratic care about everyone but then say well they are helping my family when a poster brings up foreign policy.

You dismissed a solid argument about how the democrats are forming a new voting base with white suburbanites by saying that's a lot of assumptions. If all you want to do is tell non voters to grown up then fine whatever I guess but it doesn't seems like a very productive use of time.

Last edited:

GiddyUp

I understand you're argument about voting for Biden(lesser of two evils)but you're not making any attempt to engage with the arguments presented against you.

You can't claim there is an American left out there, who are all just sitting at home not voting because of purity tests when the reality is Bernie lost two primaries contests, there's at best a hand full of left wing politicians in the US political system and that the DSA wouldn't be able to fill Yankees Stadium in a country of 360 million and then dismiss a solid argument about how the democrats are forming a new base with white suburbanites.

If all you want to do is tell non voters to grown up then fine whatever I guess but is doesn't seems like a very productive use of time.
An independent lost a in a democratic primary. What did people think was going to happen. I would take Sanders in a heartbeat but you have to deal with the reality in front of you.
This is why Gorsuch & Kavanaugh sit on the SC. Nothing must be left to chance and giving people political lessons on the 70's means feck all when a large chunk of this country couldn't point out South Africa on a map.
There were issues with everyone of the Dem candidates, sure they let a Republican run in it. I don't like to defend the Dems but I do understand why people get angry but right now these two parties are not the same. What is the benefit of not voting blue in November?

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Well the argument is that you fight for same in the primary, either you make the case and get your candidate elected or you wait for another go. Eventually in a democracy you need to convince the electorate. Of course there are external forces like the influence of money and media that pollute the whole process but unless you are advocating for a single party based communist rule then in a democracy you have to fight within the system. Trump election followed by a candidate as uninspiring as Biden getting nominated has surely proven that electorate would swing to the safe choice even more if an extreme evil person like Trump is elected over a lesser evil like Hillary.

Drifter

American
Presidential wannabe Kanye West holds campaign rally in South Carolina

Musical artist Kanye West will reportedly announce his bid for president of the United States at a campaign event in Charleston, S.C. on Sunday.

The rally is only open to registered guests who sign a COVID-19 waiver.

The event was expected to begin at 5 p.m.
So he's still going ahead with this?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This is really, really sad to see. I think he’s clearly in some sort of mental breakdown but those around him seem to be facilitating it?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Well the argument is that you fight for same in the primary, either you make the case and get your candidate elected or you wait for another go. Eventually in a democracy you need to convince the electorate. Of course there are external forces like the influence of money and media that pollute the whole process but unless you are advocating for a single party based communist rule then in a democracy you have to fight within the system. Trump election followed by a candidate as uninspiring as Biden getting nominated has surely proven that electorate would swing to the safe choice even more if an extreme evil person like Trump is elected over a lesser evil like Hillary.
I volunteered for Bernie, so I did believe that theory, what I’m saying is that there is no reason to believe anything better is coming out of the democratic primary in the foreseeable future. Partly based on what I saw volunteering* and partly based on that demographic trend Biden seems to be tapping into. So people like AOC can fight but I don't see how they win.

*Just 2 weeks before the election, and days before Bernie swept Nevada and Biden swept South Carolina, the order of candidates we heard was Bernie > Pete = Warren. Some of the Pete and Warren people were open to Bernie. One person mentioned Bloomberg, and it was to say he creeps her out. The name Biden was never mentioned. This was a mix of ages and races. On election day, that precinct went (IIRC) 50% Biden 25% Bernie <10% rest. My experience is matched by other volunteers too.

(we helped build Biden’s win by registering so many over-40s)

There is also a Data for Progress poll that was done the night before Super Tuesday (after the 3 dropped out and endorsed joe), which showed a big shift compared to a similar poll a few days before. And there is also data from Virginia (not sure about other states) that a lot of the Biden surge was indeed from white suburbs, which ties in with the larger demographic shifts happening with Biden v Trump. Again, if these people are a permanent switch, the base of the party itself will move substantially to the right and the left won’t even win the policy polling, let alone the actual primary.

If the electorate is that fickle and can change its mind, last minute, this will be a structural problem for the left since the party can and will coordinate to bring the leftist down, and has enough media filled with friendly people to help.

So if AOC 2028 or whatever once again gets some momentum from the initial primaries, the party can once again do a centrist fusion dance, the future Warren spoiler (Pressley?) can stay in. They will find a story as substantive as the story of Bernie saying Cuba has good schools, and the media can run it for a week before the polls, while burying the new Biden (Pete? Ossoff?) story (he lied about visiting Mandela) at the same time.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
True democracy can only exist when there are two parties that are both controlled by corporations.
And true change can only exist when intractable people make quips on a football forum.

I would bet that both our versions of an ideal America are way more similar than different. I know the frustration of fruitless campaigning for meaningful candidates (if you can top campaigning for a lesbian Democrat with a wife and adopted children who runs on a racial justice reform platform in Alabama I will buy you a beer). But I am also a realist. When the primaries are over and November comes I have two choices, to hold my nose and vote for establishment Democrats or let the Republicans win. There is no other choice. None.

Protests votes (or non votes) do nothing. They gave us the last 4 years. Are we better off now? Let’s see: In the midst of a global pandemic, recession, social upheaval, the resurgence of overt racism, and the worst president in literally ever, the democratic candidate is.....the definition of an establishment candidate. Those protest votes changed nothing and led to massive suffering for millions of people. So sure, continue to glibly quip and have a go, but if you dont hold your nose like the rest of us in November, the only thing helped by that is your ego. The last 4 years has shown us that protest votes do nothing but lead to suffering in a 2 party system.

Drifter

American
Yep. Among other pearls, he stated that ******* Tubman didn’t free slaves.
And here is some other gems.

Kanye West is working to be a spoiler candidate for Vice President Joe Biden, pulling away Black voters from supporting the Democratic candidate with his own presidential run. But West’s first rally didn’t appear to go well.

Appearing in front of a half-full crowd and wearing a bullet-proof vest, West began by kicking out members of the audience for whispering during the event. He said that the only way that the country can “heal” is by instituting “order,” which evidently means kicking people out for whispering at his rally.
Without a sound system to hear, much of the room likely were asking each other what West actually said.

1. West then said that Europeans have a higher tolerance for pain, though he didn’t clarify what scientific study that came from or why it was a tenant of his presidential campaign.

2. The rapper explained why he became addicted to painkillers, saying that it was “like having an orgasm.” He went on to tell the audience, “I was high as a motherfecker.”

3. “******* Tubman never actually freed the slave, she just had the slaves go work for other white people,” he said to groans from the audience. He went on to attack Rosa Parks as well.

4. “Steve Jobs is a Nazi!” West exclaimed though it appeared to be a response to a question from a member of the audience that could not be heard due to the lack of a sound system. Again, it’s unclear where West is able to find his facts.

5. He then attacked his ex-girlfriend Amber Rose, who he called a “stripper” and said that he “dated her anyway.”

6. “Let me explain something to liberals,” he went on. “I backstroke to backlash.” It appears to be a possible indication that he’s only seeking attention and response from the progressive community.

7. As part of his rant about abortion, he said, “even if my wife were to divorce me after this speech, she brought North into the world, even when I didn’t want to.” As one person noted, Kim, West’s wife, said that her husband was the one who wanted to have children.

8. “I don’t give a f*ck whether I win the presidency or not,” West also said.

12. “Shooting guns are fun,” he said about his support for the Second Amendment.

13. “The solution for Big Pharma is that we need to make BIG FARMS!” He proclaimed, saying that it is time to move back to living off the land.

14. When he was asked by the audience about his ******* Tubman remarks, he explained, “The ******* Tubman things is, I’m sick of black iconography being used by white corporations.”

Topics that West didn’t address in his presidential campaign include the COVID-19 crisis, the recession, jobs and the economy, any stimulus package he thinks Congress should pass, domestic terrorism, the Russian bounty on American soldiers and many more serious issues the United States is facing.

9. “If I’m over, guess what else is over, the country is over,” was another point West made.

10. Africa will pay women $1 million to have a baby. It was, again, unclear where that information came from.

11. West then confessed to possibly being high, at least the previous evening. “I did smoke a little bit last night,” he said. That’s why he is disorganized, he said. He then attacked Trump about marijuana, though it was difficult to make out his exact words. He concluded by saying that with marijuana, “we would be free.”

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
And here is some other gems.

Kanye West is working to be a spoiler candidate for Vice President Joe Biden, pulling away Black voters from supporting the Democratic candidate with his own presidential run. But West’s first rally didn’t appear to go well.

Appearing in front of a half-full crowd and wearing a bullet-proof vest, West began by kicking out members of the audience for whispering during the event. He said that the only way that the country can “heal” is by instituting “order,” which evidently means kicking people out for whispering at his rally.
Without a sound system to hear, much of the room likely were asking each other what West actually said.
Wow, just wow. This charlatan cannot occupy any more oxygen after this embarrassment, can he?

Status
Not open for further replies.