2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Maybe evil was the wrong word since it is usually a moral judgment, so I will go with reprehensible. The Republicans platform for 2020 is literally "We support President Trump". His views on systemic racism, police brutality, climate change, healthcare and wealth disparity are, to me, reprehensible.

Any "True" Republican you bring into a Biden administration is going to agree with a least a portion of Trumps views, because if they didn't they would likely be Democrats. Many of them have the same views, they just don't like Trump. No one who believes there is no systemic racism, that we should not tax the rich more, that healthcare is not a human right, that climate change is a fact, etc. should be anywhere near a Biden administration.
I agree on that to some extent; I think the weirdness or non-GOP-ness of Trump is overstated because of his idiocies; but in terms of actual policy (insofar as there has been any), he is not that far off most Republicans. Actually, I might say that he does not seem to care about a lot of it (except the tax break, since it affects himself), and will just let the Reps have their way. On the other hand, if you find a Republican who thinks climate change is fake but feels very strongly about universal health insurance, then you could give him that one file (health insurance, not the EPA :nono: ).

(But more generally, I would refer to my post above, and would hope Biden moves left instead of right if he wins the presidency.)

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
"Shifting Biden left" is one of the funniest things Bernie and others have said. He's already shifted his party right.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Somehow I just don’t see the Alachua County authorities getting too arsed over this (apparently happening in Alaska also)...

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Obama is savaging Trump right now. Love it
Where and what he saying.

I was watching an interview with Bush Jr and Clinton the other day and Clinton talks about the hand over of presidency. He discussed the fact that between ex president's, it is often the case they do not shit on each other for the purpose of keeping the integrity of the presidency and not undermining their colleague... When Trump gets voted out, its going to be interesting to see how the other persidents distance themself from him.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

I was watching an interview with Bush Jr and Clinton the other day and Clinton talks about the hand over of presidency. He discussed the fact that between ex president's, it is often the case they do not shit on each other for the purpose of keeping the integrity of the presidency and not undermining their colleague... When Trump gets voted out, its going to be interesting to see how the other persidents distance themself from him.
On cnn.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

My favorite quote (roughly), regarding the economy:

He inherited the longest run of job growth in history, and just like everything else he’s inherited, he ruined it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

There could be shit in the drawer of the Resolute desk when Biden opens it up in January.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
My favorite quote (roughly), regarding the economy:

He inherited the longest run of job growth in history, and just like everything else he’s inherited, he ruined it.
At least the tweets might be good in an hour or so.

NotworkSte

There’s a good book in this I read some time ago called The Presidents Club that talks about how they look out for each other.

InfiniteBoredom

Ohio truly is a Northern Alabama.
Historically it has always leaned GOP a bit, and youth migration out of state in the past decade making the population increasingly older exacerbates the issue.

Trump does seem to have a unique hold there compared to other Midwestern states though.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Are there seriously a significant number of people who have yet to decide?

owlo

PA seems to be in the 4-6 range right now imo. There was a Suffolk Poll (rated A) that had Biden +6 today and a Quinnepiac (B +) had him up by 8.
Just looks like jitter noise to me currently. Wouldn’t read into it overly.

Are there seriously a significant number of people who have yet to decide?
How do american Jews feel now? Traditionally they’ve been able to vote for both parties as both respect their core concerns, but I suspect they are being squeezed by trump on one side and the likes of aoc and omar on the other, so we in a bit of a quandary. I guess they’ll vote biden, but with reservations?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
How do american Jews feel now? Traditionally they’ve been able to vote for both parties as both respect their core concerns, but I suspect they are being squeezed by trump on one side and the likes of aoc and omar on the other, so we in a bit of a quandary. I guess they’ll vote biden, but with reservations?
I wouldn’t really know. Don’t they traditionally predominantly and safely vote Democrat, except in Florida which is the only place where their votes actually have an impact on the final result? I’m sure I read that on here before.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I wouldn’t really know. Don’t they traditionally predominantly and safely vote Democrat, except in Florida which is the only place where their votes actually have an impact on the final result? I’m sure I read that on here before.
Majority Dem (this time too), Orthodox strongly GOP (even more this time). This guy has been tweeting about it: https://twitter.com/freedaaron

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
which is publicly available, which is why the proud boys can send emails to people about it.

I agree on that to some extent; I think the weirdness or non-GOP-ness of Trump is overstated because of his idiocies; but in terms of actual policy (insofar as there has been any), he is not that far off most Republicans. Actually, I might say that he does not seem to care about a lot of it (except the tax break, since it affects himself), and will just let the Reps have their way. On the other hand, if you find a Republican who thinks climate change is fake but feels very strongly about universal health insurance, then you could give him that one file (health insurance, not the EPA :nono: ).

(But more generally, I would refer to my post above, and would hope Biden moves left instead of right if he wins the presidency.)
the only area worth cooperating on with republicans is libertarian foreign policy, which in practice means 2-3 senators; it is anyway a non-starter since biden is to their right on that issue.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Guys, apparently iran is at it now as well. unbelievable.
Given that leftists could not convince left-leaning liberals about Warren, and haven't dented the image of Obama in the slightest, it'll be interesting to see how #IranGate and whatever comes next goes with the liberal crowd. On the one hand, most media outlets are anti-Trump enough that they may give it the credibility it deserves (0), or, they might rediscover their balance fetish on Nov 5th. In which case libs who have embraced the natsec/serious IC stuff since 2016 will be in an interesting position.

I posted above about the fact that Biden's embrace of fracking has raised net Dem support for fracking by 16 points, that could be either a right-wing shift (as the base becomes more suburban) or a partisan shift. Based on which one is happening, the natsec stuff that will be thrown at the Dems by the GOP will be responded to differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.