2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Sanders would be 83 at the end of a first term (yes if he is still alive)
Biden would be 82
Warren a sprightly 74

I cant help but think that its going to be somebody younger but from the other side of the pond there is no stand out candidate as yet - perhaps the elders of the party need to make room for somebody to come through and establish themselves before they end up with a somebody without any political experience tweeting their way into the whitehouse (lets be honest it runs the risk of turning into a tweet off and that cant be good for democracy / politics)

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Bernie with Kamela Harris as VP works for me. As for people thinking he'd get trashed by the GOP, you should watch some of his Senate speeches. He's not at all beyond ripping conservatives to shreds when the mood takes him. He went very, very light on Hillary by his normal standards, which is why its so funny hearing her supporters bleat about how mean he was.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Sanders would be 83 at the end of a first term (yes if he is still alive)
Biden would be 82
Warren a sprightly 74

I cant help but think that its going to be somebody younger but from the other side of the pond there is no stand out candidate as yet - perhaps the elders of the party need to make room for somebody to come through and establish themselves before they end up with a somebody without any political experience tweeting their way into the whitehouse (lets be honest it runs the risk of turning into a tweet off and that cant be good for democracy / politics)
Wouldn't she be 75? Not that it matters.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Can someone explain to me why the dems don’t back Bernie?

As far as I can see from an outsider perspective he seems to be the only one challenging trumps every move and taking the fight to him

Carolina Red

Staff

As far as I can see from an outsider perspective he seems to be the only one challenging trumps every move and taking the fight to him
The mainline Dems don't agree with his economic agenda.

Mainline Dems and Mainline GOPs differ greatly on social policy but are very similar on economic policy.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Bernie is not one of them.

Nogbadthebad

Come on.

If Dwayne Johnson runs, he will win. He's more popular than any politician in the country, and now people don't seem to need an political experience or even position to be considered presidential material. Not only that, but when the media bang on about military power and the might of America, hes a living breathing walking symbol of it. I'm convinced that if he were eligible, arnie would already have been president.

As an outsider, there are perhaps two saving graces about this scenario. First is that he seems to remember what being at the bottom was like, I read a story about him being evicted at 17 years old with his mom, and second, he seems smart enough to surround himself with experienced people, and importantly listen to them.

On the downside, there is no real clue what his political views are, he has no history of success in an administrative role, nor any suggestion he really understands anything about geopolitics or the immediate economic issues the US and pretty much every other western economy face.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Come on.

If Dwayne Johnson runs, he will win. He's more popular than any politician in the country, and now people don't seem to need an political experience or even position to be considered presidential material. Not only that, but when the media bang on about military power and the might of America, hes a living breathing walking symbol of it. I'm convinced that if he were eligible, arnie would already have been president.

As an outsider, there are perhaps two saving graces about this scenario. First is that he seems to remember what being at the bottom was like, I read a story about him being evicted at 17 years old with his mom, and second, he seems smart enough to surround himself with experienced people, and importantly listen to them.

On the downside, there is no real clue what his political views are, he has no history of success in an administrative role, nor any suggestion he really understands anything about geopolitics or the immediate economic issues the US and pretty much every other western economy face.
Don't be silly, someone who's taken a Stone Cold Stunner at Wrestlemania will never become President.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I hope DJ never becomes president. I’d hate to have to dislike him when he starts rolling out policies that I don’t agree with

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
How can people still call for Bernie? He doesn't have party support, he would be easy to run against, he's got a veeeery interesting stance on gun regulation and, most of all: he's way too old.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Firstly he is more of an Independent. Secondly he makes too much sense. He actually wants to do good. That doesnt sit well with politicians in America.

Fergies Gum

It's been less than a year since the last election.
Yep, its far too early for this thread.

Threads already going horribly off topic with the amount of jokes regarding wrestlers.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Only concern with Bernie (other than age) is that his allure in 2016 was largely based on him being an alternative to Hillary and her establishmentarian views, which made him more attractive to many Dems. On his own however, he seems to lose that allure a bit and turn back into the same old dull Bernie that we've known over the decades.

Last night he debated Lyin' Ted Cruz over tax policy and didn't exactly perform at the same standard as he did last year.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Only concern with Bernie (other than age) is that his allure in 2016 was largely based on him being an alternative to Hillary and her establishmentarian views, which made him more attractive to many Dems. On his own however, he seems to lose that allure a bit and turn back into the same old dull Bernie that we've known over the decades.

Last night he debated Lyin' Ted Cruz over tax policy and didn't exactly perform at the same standard as he did last year.

He rocked it on Colbert last night.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Bernie with Kamela Harris as VP works for me. As for people thinking he'd get trashed by the GOP, you should watch some of his Senate speeches. He's not at all beyond ripping conservatives to shreds when the mood takes him. He went very, very light on Hillary by his normal standards, which is why its so funny hearing her supporters bleat about how mean he was.
He really would have made her properly sweat for the 2016 nomination if he'd tore into her from the off. By the time he threw off the shackles and took Clinton to task on her many failings, it was too late in the running.

I'd love Sanders to make a go of it, I really would. However, his contradictory flip-flopping before eventually endorsing Clinton in the General would leave him open to criticism, in my opinion.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Im surprised that 18-34 category isnt higher to be honest.
Yes, I'm guessing that counter-intuitively, young whites don't like him as much as the impression was. What we saw in the primary was young white Democrats only (who loved him).

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
[/QUOTE]

Pointless so far from the elections. He has underlying weaknesses that will show in a nationwide election.

He's old and shouldn't even consider doing it. Also, the gridlock following his presidency would finally kill the US for good. He would get nothing done. They might as well give the presidency to Michael Moore.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Pointless so far from the elections. He has underlying weaknesses that will show in a nationwide election.

He's old and shouldn't even consider doing it. Also, the gridlock following his presidency would finally kill the US for good. He would get nothing done. They might as well give the presidency to Michael Moore.[/QUOTE]

Who would you propose as a credible alternative to Bernie who can actually beat Trump ?

Status
Not open for further replies.