2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteBoredom

Her self description as a top tier candidate on CNN in the aftermath of that debate probably did as much if not more dmg to her candidacy.

Ultimately though Biden’s persistence with black voters block any path for her, or Booker for that matter.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Her self description as a top tier candidate on CNN in the aftermath of that debate probably did as much if not more dmg to her candidacy.

Ultimately though Biden’s persistence with black voters block any path for her, or Booker for that matter.
Agreed. Biden's strong support among black voters pretty much cuts off any plausible path for her or Booker to remain relevant.

Charlie Foley

Harris didn't drop out due to a brief exchange with Gabbard. She was simply a weak candidate who got stuck in a political no mans land of being neither progressive or centrist enough to develop a base.
Well obviously-a better candidate would have shook off those shots. And she sucks. She was looking strong however after her “zingers” vs Biden (side note remember that awful food fight/food on the table line). I would argue that night was a significant if not decisive body blow to whatever progressive credentials she was pretending to have (she had attacked Biden from the left before that, lying about her position on healthcare to make it seem more progressive).

Biden’s persistent strength among black voters is ultimately squeezed her out and could yet decide the primary. The stand out moments of her debates both touch on race though (the Biden exchange being obvious and given how African Americans have been targeted by the prison-industrial complex you could connect, less directly, her role in that complex).

Today should be about laughing at her though, and not serious analysis. I’ve already seen one article, I think CNBC, talk about her having been in the “top tier” without any hint of irony :lol:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Who’s the one who kept talking about Trump’s hair being blown off in a blizzard?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Both were based on debate one liners and nothing more. It's not like she built a base who quickly scattered after Gabbard challenged her during one debate exchange. There was never anything there in the first place.

The Russians did a sabotage :(

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sounds like she is angling for a Biden VP role
Thats the Eboue dream team right there. Mayor Pete as Communications director, Beto as chief of staff and Tulsi as Secretary of State.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So basically Harris' descent from receiving a fake bump after she attacked Biden was already well underway before the Gabbard debate.
Black voters went to the pragmatic choice in Biden, women went to Warren.

Based on a simplistic analysis of that chart, anyways.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
So basically Harris' descent from receiving a fake bump after she attacked Biden was already well underway before the Gabbard debate.
Firstly, contrary to yourpost, Harris did have a genuine surge after attacking Biden.
Secondly, her numbers had leveled off in the lower teens but Tulsi got them into a long decline into single digits as her support went back to Joe.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Let’s Check In On How Nate Silver’s Weird Hexagon Analysis Has Held Up

Now, I myself shared some thoughts on that back in march. Essentially my argument at the time boiled down to this: current polling may not predict what’s going to happen in the race, but you should more or less accept what people are telling you because however sophisticated you think your model is not actually that smart. If Biden and Bernie are polling at first and second, and have for a while, then it’s reasonable to assume they have something going for them and shouldn’t be treated lightly. Don’t contrive a lot of reasons to dismiss them just because you can’t reconcile their success with some preconceived notion of how politics works.

On the other hand you also had a lot of people at the time who did the opposite and contrived a lot of reasons to dismiss Biden and Bernie based on some preconceived notion of how politics works. The main example I pointed to was Nate Silver and his weird demographic hexagon analysis of who should hypothetically have the most appeal to the Democratic base.

https://paperspaperspapers.wordpres...e-silvers-weird-hexagon-analysis-has-held-up/

Charlie Foley

But if you’re going to play inside baseball on politics, at least try to be a little humble and not get so wrapped up in what you think is supposed to happen that you miss what actually is happening.

Or you can do what Nate does, deny you made a prediction and act like your model worked all along.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

It’s happening, isn’t it?
She's getting similar tweets from others as well - Warren just put one out.

Biden already has the south so I doubt she would be much use to him in that regard, although he will be under immense pressure too pick a non-white male.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
She's getting similar tweets from others as well - Warren just put one out.

Biden already has the south so I doubt she would be much use to him in that regard, although he will be under immense pressure too pick a non-white male.
Biden once referred to Booker as a future president. Could be him when eventually drops out.

Status
Not open for further replies.