2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
The premise of that argument is flawed and selfish. It’s this idea that people who can’t pay student loans are undeserving of an education. There are EBT cards and I don’t see affluent people getting salty over not having that even though they “did the right thing.” Also, with that logic, we shouldn’t have internet because some of us had to study from books before that. And it’s funny how these same people love say how much they love America and how patriotic and how Christian they are, but God forbid your taxes helped out other people.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The premise of that argument is flawed and selfish. It’s this idea that people who can’t pay student loans are undeserving of an education. There are EBT cards and I don’t see affluent people getting salty over not having that even though they “did the right thing.” Also, with that logic, we shouldn’t have internet because some of us had to study from books before that. And it’s funny how these same people love say how much they love America and how patriotic and how Christian they are, but God forbid your taxes helped out other people.
Do you think the guy should get a refund ?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don’t feel bad for the people who are rich enough to put their kids through the best education money can buy, who might feel a bit pissed off that their financial advantage was curbed if everyone suddenly gets their debt cleared.

I sympathise with the minority of middle class folk who genuinely made real sacrifices in their life to save up and give their child the best chance they could possibly afford. Who would get no such reimbursement for their sensible and considered decision.

It’s a grey area for me. I believe education should be free and think that cancelling student debt would raise a huge burden on the middle class and below however it just seems very harsh that people will miss out for doing something commendable.

Florida Man

Do you think the guy should get a refund ?
Not really. I know it sucks if some people missed out but that’s just the cost of moving forward. Are we going to prevent other measures like universal healthcare just because some people paid for expensive private insurance? Doing the “rightvthing” isn’t always the most rewarding. Society as a whole benefits, which is what the goal is in the end. Now perhaps if a case can be made where paying off loans put one in a huge financial burden, then maybe there is way to do a payback, but good luck managing that.

Florida Man

I don’t feel bad for the people who are rich enough to put their kids through the best education money can buy, who might feel a bit pissed off that their financial advantage was curbed if everyone suddenly gets their debt cleared.

I sympathise with the minority of middle class folk who genuinely made real sacrifices in their life to save up and give their child the best chance they could possibly afford. Who would get no such reimbursement for their sensible and considered decision.

It’s a grey area for me. I believe education should be free and think that cancelling student debt would raise a huge burden on the middle class and below however it just seems very harsh that people will miss out for doing something commendable.
As I said in response to Raoul, it’s the unfortunate cost of progress. If I wamted to be a Republican about it, I could argue that they should have reconsidered taking a loan in the first place and done something more “responsible”. In the end, society benefits. And if you really love your country, you’ll be happy for your fellow Americans.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not really. I know it sucks if some people missed out but that’s just the cost of moving forward. Are we going to prevent other measures like universal healthcare just because some people paid for expensive private insurance? Doing the “rightvthing” isn’t always the most rewarding. Society as a whole benefits, which is what the goal is in the end. Now perhaps if a case can be made where paying off loans put one in a huge financial burden, then maybe there is way to do a payback, but good luck managing that.
These are good points. Alternatively, using your example, I can see a person who went through a medical bankruptcy possibly feeling a bit aggrieved that they had to lose out.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
As I said in response to Raoul, it’s the unfortunate cost of progress. If I wamted to be a Republican about it, I could argue that they should have reconsidered taking a loan in the first place and done something more “responsible”. In the end, society benefits. And if you really love your country, you’ll be happy for your fellow Americans.

Exactly, it has to start somewhere.

What Wazza should have said was 'feck off ya cheeky, selfish cnut'.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.

No it wont. If you mean the National Debt, we can always not spend Trillions we don't have on wars and spend on giving our kids a free education which benefits the whole nation.
Btw This free education only refers to State/Public Colleges. Not Ivy League ones.

Florida Man

So I received a mailed in survey from the Democratic Senate something something organization. I did my part to put a nice fat checkmark next to Bernie and answer the other questions from a progressive point of view. On the suggestion/feedback to improve senate election results section, I finished my answer with “stop attacking Bernie”. When you see the next poll with Bernie at number one, I need no thanks. Just an honest days work.

The Firestarter

So I received a mailed in survey from the Democratic Senate something something organization. I did my part to put a nice fat checkmark next to Bernie and answer the other questions from a progressive point of view. On the suggestion/feedback to improve senate election results section, I finished my answer with “stop attacking Bernie”. When you see the next poll with Bernie at number one, I need no thanks. Just an honest days work.

WPMUFC

Imagine taking this shitstain seriously
More Clinton supporters voted for mccain and palin than sanders supporters voted for trump.
The clinton campaign started the term "obama boys"....YIKES :eek: against Obama in the primary.
The clinton campaign leaked the photo of Obama in islamic dress to scare white voters.
The clinton campaign's slogan after they lost the primary was "PUMA" = Party Unity My Ass.

And to just top this off. Clinton has the gall to say "nobody likes bernie sanders". This coming from the candidate that was so self-obsessed and that she was god's gift to politics....she LOST TO DONALD TRUMP! An autocratic, alleged sexual assaulter gameshow host that paid people to attend his campaign announcement. Can we please just consign Hillary Clinton to the loser trash heap of history?

When you think you're born to rule, it's truly incredible the lengths you will go to to protect "legacy". She was a better choice than trump, but she should never have been the choice.

This time, you don't just anoint Sleepy Joe and sleep walk into a Trump reelection.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
And to just top this off. Clinton has the gall to say "nobody likes bernie sanders". This coming from the candidate that was so self-obsessed and that she was god's gift to politics....she LOST TO DONALD TRUMP! An autocratic, alleged sexual assaulter gameshow host that paid people to attend his campaign announcement. Can we please just consign Hillary Clinton to the loser trash heap of history?
Do we do the same with Bernie because he LOST TO HILLARY (or do we have to wait for him to loose to biden or trump before he goes on the heap as well?)

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Very good question.
No it isn't. Its the equivalent of asking for an extra pair of limbs because all the handicapped are getting one.

The idea that the people who are in debt are lazy and irresponsible is exactly the kind of conservative ideology that progressives mock when the GOP suggest cuts to welfare, medicare and so on and so forth.

That bloke clearly has the means to save, there are several others who want to attend college without parents who have the same means and the whole idea of equality in education falls apart as soon as you start suggesting that only the kids whose parents can afford to save get to graduate debt free.

College debt forgiveness is a population scale problem and it can't be rebuffed with individual outliers. The whole idea of reducing college debt is to make younger graduates be able to afford housing, spend money which stimulates the economy, start families earlier and then in turn educate their own children.

This is the equivalent of Jeff Bezos telling the regular Joe he sucks because he could not create an Amazon.com.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's not a good question. It's the question of a greedy self centered feck.
No it isn't. Its the equivalent of asking for an extra pair of limbs because all the handicapped are getting one.

The idea that the people who are in debt are lazy and irresponsible is exactly the kind of conservative ideology that progressives mock when the GOP suggest cuts to welfare, medicare and so on and so forth.

That bloke clearly has the means to save, there are several others who want to attend college without parents who have the same means and the whole idea of equality in education falls apart as soon as you start suggesting that only the kids whose parents can afford to save get to graduate debt free.

College debt forgiveness is a population scale problem and it can't be rebuffed with individual outliers. The whole idea of reducing college debt is to make younger graduates be able to afford housing, spend money which stimulates the economy, start families earlier and then in turn educate their own children.

This is the equivalent of Jeff Bezos telling the regular Joe he sucks because he could not create an Amazon.com.
I don't think the logic should stop people getting debt relief. People need debt relief. However, there are people that have faced financial ruin due to the debts. I also think they should get some compensation.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don't think the logic should stop people getting debt relief. People need debt relief. However, there are people that have faced financial ruin due to the debts. I also think they should get some compensation.
Well, now that becomes what-aboutism. Just because medical debt is not being forgiven doesn't mean college debt forgiveness is a bad idea.

GiddyUp

Very good question.
It's a fecking dumb question and is the definition of this country especially on the conservative side, greed, selfishness and a total disregard for anybody else's situation. That guy is a fecking idiot.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Well, now that becomes what-aboutism. Just because medical debt is not being forgiven doesn't mean college debt forgiveness is a bad idea.
Where have I said it is a bad idea?
I am saying some that have paid the debt also need compensation.
Some would have lost houses, their business, porperty to clear the debt.
My angle is debt forgiveness is not enough.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Absolutely. The person who asked the question sounded more like, "well I had to do it so let them do it or feck em'".

MTF

What accrues to people who don't currently have college debt because they either paid it off or because they never went to college is indeed an important question. It's a very large number of voters. If you guys think that college debt relief as a legislative proposal can easily just run over that portion of the electorate just because you're certain "it's the right thing to do" then you're living a pipe dream. Concessions will have to be made.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The takes, they're getting worse folks. More and more people tell me this, these are bad takes. We need to make takes great again.

MLK was a (the?) leader in the anti-Vietnam movement!

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
These are good points. Alternatively, using your example, I can see a person who went through a medical bankruptcy possibly feeling a bit aggrieved that they had to lose out.
There are other ways to remedy that. Restore their credit and give them a credit bump to reasonable levels (680 maybe) and then give them tax credits so they wouldn't have to pay taxes or reduce taxes for a few years (maybe 3-7).

Do the same for middle class families that truly struggled to pay off college debt (families making under 90K a year or individuals under 70k) give them some tax credits and a credit boost.

Do we do the same with Bernie because he LOST TO HILLARY (or do we have to wait for him to loose to biden or trump before he goes on the heap as well?)
Its like you missed the entire other points of his post. Also the Super Delegates gave Bernie an unfair disadvantage from the start.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What accrues to people who don't currently have college debt because they either paid it off or because they never went to college is indeed an important question. It's a very large number of voters. If you guys think that college debt relief as a legislative proposal can easily just run over that portion of the electorate just because you're certain "it's the right thing to do" then you're living a pipe dream. Concessions will have to be made.
Gosh now they know how I felt in 2008

Let me ask this, would the same objections be brought up if student debt was made dischargeable through bankruptcy?

Edit: Jesus where does this end? "I'm against Medicare for all because hospital debt made me go bankrupt last year"... Carlin was right

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I can't get my head around this at all. You are giving everyone a tax break? what about the 100K i earned last year? Give it retrospectively or else, don't ever give a tax break.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Where have I said it is a bad idea?
I am saying some that have paid the debt also need compensation.
Some would have lost houses, their business, porperty to clear the debt.
My angle is debt forgiveness is not enough.
I can't see this happening in anything but an extremely rare outlier due to other circumstances. Student loan debt is the easiest to roll over, postpone, etc. I can't imagine anyone thinking "hey we aren't going to pay our mortgage for 6 months and lose our home just we can pay off some student loan debt". That just doesn't happen.

WPMUFC

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A South Carolina elected official who endorsed Joe Biden last month is switching her allegiance to Bernie Sanders in the state’s first-in-the-South presidential primary, saying she had viewed the former vice president — whose support in the state is considered deep — as “a compromise choice.”
https://apnews.com/0a737f5ec6f858829b51ea9b7e8bb41d

SLEEPY JOE 2020!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.