2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'm wary to dismiss anyone considering the way we all once viewed Trump, but yeah, Bannon won't run. He'd much rather be in the background as opposed to a central figure; indeed he apparently got quite pissed off once a lot of anti-Trump people started to call him out a lot more often.

Member 5225

Obviously neither. Its just opinion crap by some writer.
To win, fair enough.

Not so sure that he defo defo won’t run. Nothing to base it on (either way I guess), but premise of article shows why they think he’s doing stuff that someone might run would do.

Member 5225

I'm wary to dismiss anyone considering the way we all once viewed Trump, but yeah, Bannon won't run. He'd much rather be in the background as opposed to a central figure; indeed he apparently got quite pissed off once a lot of anti-Trump people started to call him out a lot more often.
Just being the devils advocate;

...or he’s tired of being in the background, thinks his ‘pure’ views are being watered down, and the situation of populism is ripe enough for him to warrant it...

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Just being the devils advocate;

...or he’s tired of being in the background, thinks his ‘pure’ views are being watered down, and the situation of populism is ripe enough for him to warrant it...
He could perhaps come to be that way eventually, but I think his entire approach predicates upon him being an adviser to someone bigger who he can hope to influence. Ala Trump.

He'd never win if he did run, anyway. Trump's got a ton of abhorrent views but Bannon makes him look like a teddy bear by comparison, and from what I've seen doesn't particularly have the necessary charisma to rally a substantial support base behind him. Trump was able to get the support of the GOP, but then for all his general cuntishness he's been in and around celebrity circles for a long time and had a certain media sway prior to being elected. Bannon's just an outsider weirdo who was lucky enough to get close to him. Should he stand for election he'd end up being perceived as a bit of a joke, I suspect. He'd not get the backing of the GOP in any form and he'd end up relying on his alt-right mates. If the alt-right hasn't fractured and splintered by this point.

Member 5225

He could perhaps come to be that way eventually, but I think his entire approach predicates upon him being an adviser to someone bigger who he can hope to influence. Ala Trump.

He'd never win if he did run, anyway. Trump's got a ton of abhorrent views but Bannon makes him look like a teddy bear by comparison, and from what I've seen doesn't particularly have the necessary charisma to rally a substantial support base behind him. Trump was able to get the support of the GOP, but then for all his general cuntishness he's been in and around celebrity circles for a long time and had a certain media sway prior to being elected. Bannon's just an outsider weirdo who was lucky enough to get close to him. Should he stand for election he'd end up being perceived as a bit of a joke, I suspect. He'd not get the backing of the GOP in any form and he'd end up relying on his alt-right mates. If the alt-right hasn't fractured and splintered by this point.
Agreed re very very long stretch of him actually winning (or even getting the nomination).

Unless he’s the anointed one by Trump etc.

Also interesting re how his candidate beat Trumps choice in recent Senate thing (Alabama was it, can’t remember). Worth watching the tea leaves closely.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Wonder if Bernie's going to give this a go. Don't think he'll get the nomination but he's stayed very active since '16, almost in perpetual campaign mode.

I welcome any liberal minded democrat who can feasibly win.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Some interesting outsiders...
Al Franken 33/1 on Paddy Power; Michelle Obama only 20/1
Caroline Kennedy 40/1.
But no. Elizabeth Warren

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Some interesting outsiders...
Al Franken 33/1 on Paddy Power; Michelle Obama only 20/1
Caroline Kennedy 40/1.
But no. Elizabeth Warren
She's 10/1, 6/1 to be the Dem nominee (per Paddypower). Can't believe Kamala Harris is the favourite for the nomination there already at 4/1, she was my outside contender at the start of the year.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
She's 10/1, 6/1 to be the Dem nominee (per Paddypower). Can't believe Kamala Harris is the favourite for the nomination there already at 4/1, she was my outside contender at the start of the year.
She is a star in the making, all right. Just getting a flavour this morning of the swing that may be on the cards.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
shes 14/1 to be president (at paddy power)
https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2020/winner
The Rock and Oprah are 16/1

She would be an interesting choice - especially if she continued with her gun control position

I still think its going to be trump in 2020
Ivanka in 2024 and 2028 - she will have to lower the age requirements for president so that Baron cab win in 2032 and 2036 at which point he will have declared himself emperor to rule in perpetuity.

Fergies Gum

That's because she's the only well known candidate who's leaked to the media she's running.

If Biden, Sanders or another high profile candidate come out in a few months and confirm they are running, then they'll become the bookmakers favourite.

ManUtd1999

In the past 3 decades or so, the winner of the presidential election was someone whose name wasn't floating around this early in the process:
1992: Clinton. He was a nice-looking governor of an unimportant state. Ended up beating the sitting president.
2000: Bush. He was the governor of Texas, but wasn't known as a national figure.
2008: Obama. A first-time senator that came from nowhere and won it all, defeating the well-known Clinton and McCain
2016: Trump. Who would've thought he would win with Jeb, Cruz and Rubio around?

The bottom line-- it's too early to throw names in. And, in my view, it's better for someone not to be tapped as a potential nominee so that he/she will not be subjected to relentless attacks by Republicans over 3 years.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That's because she's the only well known candidate who's leaked to the media she's running.

If Biden, Sanders or another high profile candidate come out in a few months and confirm they are running, then they'll become the bookmakers favourite.
All indications are that Biden is running, and for better or worse given his age, I would imagine he would be an instant frontrunner. Harris might make a viable VP for him -as would the likes of Booker and a few other younger Dems.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
In the past 3 decades or so, the winner of the presidential election was someone whose name wasn't floating around this early in the process:
1992: Clinton. He was a nice-looking governor of an unimportant state. Ended up beating the sitting president.
2000: Bush. He was the governor of Texas, but wasn't known as a national figure.
2008: Obama. A first-time senator that came from nowhere and won it all, defeating the well-known Clinton and McCain

The bottom line-- it's too early to throw names in. And, in my view, it's better for someone not to be tapped as a potential nominee so that he/she will not be subjected to relentless attacks by Republicans over 3 years.
I assume late 2018 we will see a couple of people really start to build teams and increase fund raising and starting unofficial campaigns - but as you say starting now is probably not helpful as the republicans have a lot more money than the democrats at the moment and would surely attack relentlessly and with 3 years of digging dirt and mud slinging they are probably going to hurt most candidates - especially with trump no doubt throwing a few tweets in to the mix.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

The bottom line-- it's too early to throw names in. And, in my view, it's better for someone not to be tapped as a potential nominee so that he/she will not subjected to relentless attacks by Republicans over 3 years.
Bush was leading GOP nomination polls from 1997 onwards, per Gallup, and whilst Obama was a clear second favourite to Clinton until Iowa, he'd been safe in that position since he appeared on the cover of Time in '06. It's never really too early to throw names in, though obviously you never really have a clue until the actual voting begins.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Russian foreign minister has confirmed Putin-Trump meeting in Vietnam.
I wonder what sort of blackout they will arrange for Trump's debriefing.

InfiniteBoredom

Bush was leading GOP nomination polls from 1997 onwards, per Gallup, and whilst Obama was a clear second favourite to Clinton until Iowa, he'd been safe in that position since he appeared on the cover of Time in '06. It's never really too early to throw names in, though obviously you never really have a clue until the actual voting begins.
Yeah Obama was a star since the 04 convention speech. W had the family backing and was chair of the GOP governor associates, which generally is a good bet for presidential contender and Clinton though much less known were active with his Democratic Leadership Council and thought of as a star of the party. Only appeared to be out of nowhere because Bush Snr. were looking invincible at the start of the cycle.

Precaution

I like to see Al Franken running, also i know its pretty impossible but id love to see Joe Kennedy III run, boy has it all from his great Uncle, follow him alot on Twitter/Facebook, doesnt really sound like your typical Repub.

InfiniteBoredom

I like to see Al Franken running, also i know its pretty impossible but id love to see Joe Kennedy III run, boy has it all from his great Uncle, follow him alot on Twitter/Facebook, doesnt really sound like your typical Repub.
Maybe because he's a Democrat?

Member 5225

Would Biden have enough pull to actually win it (if he ran of course)?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Would Biden have enough pull to actually win it (if he ran of course)?
I'd say so, aye. He's well-liked by the Democrats establishment from what I know, has plenty of experience, and is one of the main figures from an Obama administration that'll likely be looked upon in an even better light when Trump's done. Only problem is his age but he seems to be in fairly good health and Trump himself is the oldest President ever (at the time of election) so can hardly use that as an attack.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'd say so, aye. He's well-liked by the Democrats establishment from what I know, has plenty of experience, and is one of the main figures from an Obama administration that'll likely be looked upon in an even better light when Trump's done. Only problem is his age but he seems to be in fairly good health and Trump himself is the oldest President ever (at the time of election) so can hardly use that as an attack.
I know it's a stressful job and Trump has spent most of it golfing but I don't think any of the other presidents actually aged quicker than him.

SirAF

Ageist
I hope the dems come up with a new, young and brilliant candidate. I don't like Hillary and while I'm a big fan of Bernie, I fear he'll be too old by 2020, nevermind 2023-2024.
Yeah, it would be crazy to run for POTUS at 79! First you got the demanding primary, then the election itself that would be toxic - THEN if you win you’re getting just started at the most stressful job in the world at almost 80.

Fergies Gum

I know it was in the 1980s but Biden did have major health issues and he was lucky to survive. GOP will definitely use that against him in attack ads.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Don't see a businessman winning the dem primaries as easily as they would in the gop though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I have yet to see anything that places Cuban in the same thinking mentality of Bannon. Unless Cuban is the ultimate fraudster.
He isn't. Bannon himself is a bit of a fraudster since he made his money in the entertainment industry off of funding Seinfeld and making documentaries, and now claims to be a paragon of conservatism.

Status
Not open for further replies.