2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I don't know, from what I've seen of Biden, he seems extremely inarticulate even compared to Trump, to the point where I can see him sweeping the floor with Biden in the debates. And I haven't even mentioned his tendency to be weird around girls and women.

I'm just waiting for this pandemic to blow over in hopefully a few months from now I can enjoy the circus of election whatever the outcome is. I think Trump will handily win reelection but I have been wrong before, and perhaps Biden's showing in the primaries point to him being more of a threat than Bernie despite my intuition.
Biden in a debate works versus Donald because you don’t debate Donald using logic.

If it’s just two old men rambling on about Corn Pop vs Deep State conspiracies about crowd sizes then it’s more or less a wash.

Winrar

Biden in a debate works versus Donald because you don’t debate Donald using logic.

If it’s just two old men rambling on about Corn Pop vs Deep State conspiracies about crowd sizes then it’s more or less a wash.
Either way I'm morbidly looking forward to the shit show.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
After the previous election, the lesson dems kept saying they had learned was that 'Not Trump' wasn't really a political message or enough credential for a candidate.

Four years later the dem establishment candidates' biggest asset is electability. No one cares about his actual policies, all they seem to care about is that he can beat Trump and he's 'Not Trump'.

Ironically, he's probably the closest thing to Trump the democrats could find.

Foxbatt

I agree definitely with the last sentence. While Kamala won't really help Biden I don't think Trump and his VP can attack her the way they will go after Warren. There is also a chance she may turn out African American voters to get closer to Obama levels, which would really solve every issue facing Biden as this would put NC and FL in real play.
I agree with Raul on this. Biden would get the African American votes out no matter what. Just like he did in the primaries. What Bernie did was to bring out the Latino votes and his own supporters. If Bernie is on the ballot they or most of them would come out and vote for the ticket. Or else Cuomo as the VP.

Trump doesn't do debates. Trump won't allow Biden to open his mouth.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I agree with Raul on this. Biden would get the African American votes out no matter what. Just like he did in the primaries. What Bernie did was to bring out the Latino votes and his own supporters. If Bernie is on the ballot they or most of them would come out and vote for the ticket. Or else Cuomo as the VP.

Trump doesn't do debates. Trump won't allow Biden to open his mouth.
Lucky him

Revan

Assumptionman
Thing thing with Biden is that expectations are always low, which generally allows him to surprisingly outperform in debates.
He was actually a decent debater. I remember him schooling Paul Ryan who is a good speaker. However, his advanced age have turned him into a terrible speaker.

Drifter

American
Two seniles going at each other. November Elections is going to crawl by.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He was actually a decent debater. I remember him schooling Paul Ryan who is a good speaker. However, his advanced age have turned him into a terrible speaker.
He did a fairly solid job against Ryan I thought. Made him look inexperienced and mechanical.

Drifter

American
Wisconsin Governor sees sense at last . Tuesdays election will be delayed to June.

SharpshooterTom

Lets be honest about this, Biden is probably going to win this election. There are some bad takes from Bernie supporters that Biden is going to get "destroyed" by Trump, or Trump wins in a landslide victory etc.

None of this is based on reality, Biden is leading in nearly every single poll, by big margins in a lot of them. In fact according to RCP, he's led 23 out of the past 24 national head to head polls against Trump, including most of the swing states.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_biden-6247.html

By contrast, Obama as the incumbant, was beating Romney in nearly every single poll at this stage in 2012.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e...us/general_election_romney_vs_obama-1171.html

I'm no fan of Hillary, but she was unlucky not to win against Trump, she had a bad news cycle 10 days before which saw her numbers plunge allowing Trump to get within striking distance of her. Even then she still won the popular vote and Trump won a bunch swing states very narrowly, I think his election was a bit of fluke tbh, a lot had to go his way and it did.

If you were to run the 2016 election over again as 10 different simulations, Hillary would've won something like 7 or 8 of them and Trump 2 or 3. Unfortunately Trump won but I'm not sure lightening will strike twice.

Biden's not a great candidate but Trump is a really really bad one. I still think most of those 16 other GOP canidadates in 2016 would fare better than him.

Again lets not downplay Biden's chances, he'll probably win this election, especially after Covid-19 and unemployment likley to be near 15%. However I do fear for the democratic party long term under him, I think the GOP will rebuild very quickly with a Biden presidency and the 2022 mid terms might be a bloodbath. I mean if an inspiring charismatic Obama couldn't stop massive losses in both his mid terms what do you think a dull 80 year old senile president is going to do? The GOP will likely go into the 2024 elections holding both houses once again.

Revan

Assumptionman
Lets be honest about this, Biden is probably going to win this election. There are some bad takes from Bernie supporters that Biden is going to get "destroyed" by Trump, or Trump wins in a landslide victory etc.

None of this is based on reality, Biden is leading in nearly every single poll, by big margins in a lot of them. In fact according to RCP, he's led 23 out of the past 24 national head to head polls against Trump, including most of the swing states.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_biden-6247.html

By contrast, Obama as the incumbant, was beating Romney in nearly every single poll at this stage in 2012.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e...us/general_election_romney_vs_obama-1171.html

I'm no fan of Hillary, but she was unlucky not to win against Trump, she had a bad news cycle 10 days before which saw her numbers plunge allowing Trump to get within striking distance of her. Even then she still won the popular vote and Trump won a bunch swing states very narrowly, I think his election was a bit of fluke tbh, a lot had to go his way and it did.

If you were to run the 2016 election over again as 10 different simulations, Hillary would've won something like 7 or 8 of them and Trump 2 or 3. Unfortunately Trump won but I'm not sure lightening will strike twice.

Biden's not a great candidate but Trump is a really really bad one. I still think most of those 16 other GOP canidadates in 2016 would fare better than him.

Again lets not downplay Biden's chances, he'll probably win this election, especially after Covid-19 and unemployment likley to be near 15%. However I do fear for the democratic party long term under him, I think the GOP will rebuild very quickly with a Biden presidency and the 2022 mid terms might be a bloodbath. I mean if an inspiring charismatic Obama couldn't stop massive losses in both his mid terms what do you think a dull 80 year old senile president is going to do? The GOP will likely go into the 2024 elections holding both houses once again.
I don't think so. The Senate races (especially in 2022) favor the democrats, so they should control the senate. The House typically goes to the opposition party, however, I have some hope that the demographic changes will ensure this to not happen, and hopefully the Dems will control the house for a long time. And assuming that there will be less gerrymandering (I think there is some work going on in that direction), this could mean that GOP needs to reform itself in order to appeal to more people.

If GOP gets a humiliating defeat in this cycle, I can see them distancing from Trump and going a bit more towards the center.

Fergies Gum

Where is the outrage from the Democrats/DNC over this? The Supreme Court made a decision yesterday which screwed over Wisconsin voters and we hear nothing from the people who are supposed to be the leaders of the party.

They were more outraged over the idea of Medicare For All than they are over Republicans putting voters health at risk.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Where is the outrage from the Democrats/DNC over this? The Supreme Court made a decision yesterday which screwed over Wisconsin voters and we hear nothing from the people who are supposed to be the leaders of the party.

They were more outraged over the idea of Medicare For All than they are over Republicans putting voters health at risk.

it's a genuinely shocking decision. i don't think they care a bit about people's lives but they might at least pretend they do.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://news.yahoo.com/biden-voting-wisconsin-safe-locals-084911810.html

“There’s a lot of things that can be done; that’s for the Wisconsin courts and folks to decide,” former Vice President Joe Biden said last Thursday in a virtual press briefing, in which he insisted that in-person and mail-in voting could both be done safely—even though he considers the possibility of a national convention in the state to be a potential risk to public health.

“A convention having tens of thousands of people in one arena is very different than having people walk into a polling booth with accurate spacing with 6 to 10 feet apart, one at a time going in, and having the machines scrubbed down,” Biden said. “I think you could hold the election as well dealing with mail-in ballots and same-day registration. I think it could be done… but that’s for them to decide.”

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He was getting clobbered in most polls v Biden, so being behind by a couple of hundred delegates was probably a bit too much for a realistic comeback.

Suv666

What the feck America. Biden over Sanders is insane. You guys fecked up big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.