2021 American Civil War

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah I watched that yesterday. It's sad that people can see that stuff and say nothing wrong because doing so would would bring down their entire belief structure.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Fox News has singlehandedly answered that question for everyone.
Truth. It's always been there though, and its always battled with true journalism (ie, Yellow Journalism vs. Muckraking), it's just that now it is pervasive and targeted.

WPMUFC

For months, my colleagues and I at the University of Chicago Project on Security and Threats have been tracking insurrectionist sentiments in U.S. adults, most recently in surveys in June. We have found that 47 million American adults – nearly 1 in 5 – agree with the statement that “the 2020 election was stolen from Donald Trump and Joe Biden is an illegitimate president.” Of those, 21 million also agree that “use of force is justified to restore Donald J. Trump to the presidency.”
https://theconversation.com/21-mill...d-be-restored-by-violence-survey-finds-168359

The results Friday are also likely to provoke a strong reaction from the base of ardent Trump supporters who have bought into his lies about election fraud. Some, such as Republican state Sen. Wendy Rogers and state Rep. Mark Finchem, who is running for secretary of state, have said the state should decertify its 2020 election results, even though there is no process in place to do so.

Ultimately, the risk to democracy posed by the partisan theatre that Arizona Senate Republicans have conducted in recent months is that Trump and his supporters are seizing on the misinformation it has produced and attempting to use it to influence future elections.
Trump's allies have already tried to export Arizona's sham "audit" to other states. In Wisconsin, the GOP state Assembly speaker has tapped a former state Supreme Court justice to investigate the 2020 election. In Pennsylvania, Senate Republicans are launching an Arizona-style review that they are calling a "forensic investigation" of the 2020 election.
And several Republican-led states, including Texas, Florida and Georgia, this year enacted restrictive new voting laws targeting processes such as mail-in voting in the wake of Trump's lies about fraudulent ballots.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/24/politics/arizona-election-review-results/index.html

So violence is now a legitimate way for a large section of the population to resolve elections that you lose, and the GOP will never participate in a peaceful transition of power ever again. They will never accept an election loss ever again.

I'm sure a two-party democracy can successfully continue down that path for a long period of time..........nothing to worry about.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
https://theconversation.com/21-mill...d-be-restored-by-violence-survey-finds-168359

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/24/politics/arizona-election-review-results/index.html

So violence is now a legitimate way for a large section of the population to resolve elections that you lose, and the GOP will never participate in a peaceful transition of power ever again. They will never accept an election loss ever again.

I'm sure a two-party democracy can successfully continue down that path for a long period of time..........nothing to worry about.
This only helps to justify my intent to leave this country as soon as I can.
2024 baby! (I want to leave by summer of that year).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Nothing short of blackly ironic that this is the same school which houses the Doomsday Clock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Clock

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Reading through the Quora rabbit hole after stumbling into a Trump thread led me to this attempt by a poster, "Martin Glynn", who claims to have served 30 years in the US Army Intel arena, to claim the events of 6 Jan was not an insurrection attempt. He also inserts a definition in a rebuttal to a poster, but that definition does not match how Merriam-Webster describes - an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government. His belief is the attempt must be an armed rebellion to count as an insurrection and then instructs the other poster to read The Insurrection Act of 1807.

Article used to claim no insurrection, but "Martin" failed to mention this author is a confessed conservative and has written about election irregularities, amongst contributions to sites like the National Review. Certainly no bias here to see. Notice how the author followed the same far right playcard throughout the article. https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/january-6-insurrection-hoax/

Article that mentions Kimball (above referenced author) and others dishonesty. https://www.thebulwark.com/the-intellectual-rights-assault-on-democracy/

Quora thread if interested in smacking your head on a wall. https://nomoretrump.quora.com/?__ni__=0&__nsrc__=4&__snid3__=27253297726&__tiids__=39042138

Dr. Dwayne

His belief is the attempt must be an armed rebellion to count as an insurrection and then instructs the other poster to read The Insurrection Act of 1807.
And for them armed can only mean firearms. These kids of arguments are cons because the people who hold these views try to control the criteria for proof.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
North Carolina Lieutenant Governor Mark Robinson said Saturday that he "will not back down" as politicians call for his resignation over recently resurfaced comments in which he referred to "transgenderism" and homosexuality as "filth."

"Let me tell you plainly right here and right now: I will not back down," he said in a video posted to Facebook on Saturday. "I will not be silenced and I will not be bullied into submission. I will continue to fight for the rights of our children to receive an education that is free from sexual concepts that do not belong in the classroom."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mark-robinson-north-carolina-lt-governor-lgbtq-filth-resignation/

The Firestarter

MAGA Gun Church. Looks as if taken from the Stephen King novel about the time traveller returning to prevent the Kennedy assassination - in the "bad" timeline.

Dr. Dwayne

WPMUFC

These people are insane.
. Bochene routinely stamps his pseudo-legal documents with a red fingerprint — one of the many symbols that sovereign citizens use in an attempt to tap into an supposed alternate identity that the government set up for them at birth and unlock their own personal secret Treasury account.
:lol: :lol: I am a sovereign citizen.....please unlock my secret treasury account :lol::lol:

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
These people are insane.
Yep, “Although, as Justice Blackmun says, I may be a fool to represent myself, I am nowhere near as big a fool as Joe Biden,” Fellows told McFadden, before asking the judge how to pronounce “pro se,” the Latin term indicating self-representation.

WPMUFC

Prof Levistky: I mean, this is what authoritarian political movements do. I don’t want to go rushing to the comparison to Italian fascism or German Nazis, but this is the kind of stuff that fascist parties did. They glorified, defended, promoted violence. And violence is the path to power, so they became OK with it from top to bottom, from grassroots activists to voters to leaders. They became OK with violent seizures of power. How else do you read Jan. 6 and the reaction, and now the glorification of Jan. 6, other than these guys are going to be OK with a violent seizure of power?
https://www.mediaite.com/podcasts/h...ing-to-be-ok-with-a-violent-seizure-of-power/

Even though we all sigh in relief that Biden is sitting there. There is this underbelly that people forget about. Trump never acknowledged losing, he never acknowledged Biden winning, never even said he was leaving because of the result. He just walked out of the White House and just continued to foment his base that there really was no election result.

Might be drawing a long bow here, but the way the US dealt with Trump feels very much like the failure to deal with the South post-civil war

Last edited:

cafecillos

How widespread is this insanity really? I mean, are we talking thousands or millions of people? Because I'm almost certain now this will end in bloodshed in 2024, I hope I'm just misinformed and got it totally wrong though.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
What was it about? Won't show in the UK unfortunately.
Jordan Klepper interviewing a bunch of Americans who think the election was stolen and/or Trump’s still in power.

Probably nothing you haven’t seen before, but still fascinating :lol:

nimic

something nice
Scout
How widespread is this insanity really? I mean, are we talking thousands or millions of people? Because I'm almost certain now this will end in bloodshed in 2024, I hope I'm just misinformed and got it totally wrong though.
I can't remember the exact numbers right now, but there have been polls showing that most Republicans think that the election was stolen. There's a very short path between "the election was stolen" and "democracy is dead so I have to be ready to violently oppose the tyrants".

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Tens of millions.

In August, multiple polls showed roughly 50% of Republicans believed the election was stolen.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Tens of millions.

In August, multiple polls showed roughly 50% of Republicans believed the election was stolen.
I think there is "believe" and BELIEVE. I think a vast majority of those in the survey "believe" the election was stolen in the same way Pro Wrestling fans "believe" that what they are watching is real. Gun to head, metaphorically speaking, I would bet most of these people "believe". Just look at most of the 1/6 defendants. The vast majority of them are pleading out or basing there defense on "we were tricked". These people view this whole thing as a sporting event in which they are going to root for their team no matter what.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think there is "believe" and BELIEVE. I think a vast majority of those in the survey "believe" the election was stolen in the same way Pro Wrestling fans "believe" that what they are watching is real. Gun to head, metaphorically speaking, I would bet most of these people "believe". Just look at most of the 1/6 defendants. The vast majority of them are pleading out or basing there defense on "we were tricked". These people view this whole thing as a sporting event in which they are going to root for their team no matter what.
I see what you are getting at, but it’s still in the multiple, multiple millions even if ‘believe’ is parsed. No two ways around that.