2021 American Civil War

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So...I was reading about the Spanish civil war and to be honest...I was getting America vibes?

From right-wingers who felt their faith and religion were under attack to left-wingers who felt that moderate governments weren't progressive enough, it all felt rather similar to current trends in America. Including election unhappiness.

Last edited:

sugar_kane

I saw this tweet before I saw the news about the testimony and genuinely thought she was talking in metaphorical terms.

Of course I should I have known she was being literal, it's Donald Trump.

MUW4Eva

I saw this tweet before I saw the news about the testimony and genuinely thought she was talking in metaphorical terms.

Of course I should I have known she was being literal, it's Donald Trump.
Why would something like that be a metaphor??

What even would such a metaphor be??

sugar_kane

Why would something like that be a metaphor??

What even would such a metaphor be??
I just vaguely understood it as a metaphor about him trying to wrench power back (steering wheel metaphor).

The 'from the backseat' bit made less sense in that context, but my initial reaction wasn't to think 'oh right, so he literally tried to grab the steering wheel from the backseat of a car and drive it to the Capitol building'.

Should have known better eh.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
So...I was reading about the Spanish civil war and to be honest...I was getting America vibes?

From right-wingers who felt their faith and religion were under attack to left-wingers who felt that moderate governments weren't progressive enough, it all felt rather similar to current trends in America. Including election unhappiness.
If anyone actually has any book or documentary recommendations on the Spanish civil war that'd be appreciated.

RoyH1

If anyone actually has any book or documentary recommendations on the Spanish civil war that'd be appreciated.
The Spanish Civil War by Hugh Thomas is probably the most balanced book in English on the subject. If you want something more entertaining and less scholarly, read Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell. Amusing yet tragic account from his experience in Spain and particularly how all the different factions on the left undermined each other and ultimately allowed Franco to win.

Carolina Red

Staff
Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell. Amusing yet tragic account from his experience in Spain and particularly how all the different factions on the left undermined each other and ultimately allowed Franco to win.
Yes. I’ve always enjoyed Orwell’s non-fiction stuff.

GDaly95

The Spanish Civil War by Hugh Thomas is probably the most balanced book in English on the subject. If you want something more entertaining and less scholarly, read Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell. Amusing yet tragic account from his experience in Spain and particularly how all the different factions on the left undermined each other and ultimately allowed Franco to win.
Thank you!

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I'm reading that the secret service agents are willing to testify it's all bollocks.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'm reading that the secret service agents are willing to testify it's all bollocks.
She was told that story from a top Secret Service agent. She was very clear on that point. Odd anecdote all around, but does nothing to harm her testimony.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
She was told that story from a top Secret Service agent. She was very clear on that point. Odd anecdote all around, but does nothing to harm her testimony.
If you want to twist things, it does. Imagine a secret service agent saying that's not true on national tv. Right wing media will be able to spin it as "look this was bs, how can we trust the rest?"

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
If you want to twist things, it does. Imagine a secret service agent saying that's not true on national tv. Right wing media will be able to spin it as "look this was bs, how can we trust the rest?"
She's under oath, relaying a story told to her by a top Secret Service official. They are not yet under oath. She clearly stated that it was a story told to her, she's just relaying it. It's also one small part of much longer testimony, an anecdote. Sure they could try to twist it, but it's telling that this is the only thing they have brought up to rebutt her.

RedDevilQuebecois

I know we won't get there just yet, but my biggest wish is that Trump will get grilled by the January 6 Committee in September-October at the latest. If we go there, I hope it will be done the same way the Republicans went after Hillary Clinton for 11 hours straight during the Benghazi hearings (that has to be a record for holding this long in front of a committee).

You wanted equal time, Donald? You try that.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I know we won't get there just yet, but my biggest wish is that Trump will get grilled by the January 6 Committee in September-October at the latest. If we go there, I hope it will be done the same way the Republicans went after Hillary Clinton for 11 hours straight during the Benghazi hearings (that has to be a record for holding this long in front of a committee).

You wanted equal time, Donald? You try that.
You actually think he’d go to a hearing?

RedDevilQuebecois

You actually think he’d go to a hearing?
He cannot defy a subpoena when it will be issued. If he chooses to defy it though, he will be arrested and the moment will be shown on national television.

In any case, Donald Trump is your real-life Nathan Jessup. He is utterly narcissistic, he wants to take the stage, he will get pushed, and then he will spill everything because he wants to say it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He cannot defy a subpoena when it will be issued. If he chooses to defy it though, he will be arrested and the moment will be shown on national television.

In any case, Donald Trump is your real-life Nathan Jessup. He is utterly narcissistic, he wants to take the stage, he will get pushed, and then he will spill everything because he wants to say it.
A bunch of them ignored subpoenas from the NY AG and feck all happened.

RedDevilQuebecois

A bunch of them ignored subpoenas from the NY AG and feck all happened.
First step in the right direction would be to get rid of that wimp of an Attorney General, who is making the DOJ look like an utter joke. What the hell was Biden thinking by hiring that idiot for the job when it should belong to a far more ruthless person?

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
First step in the right direction would be to get of that wimp of an Attorney General, who is making the DOJ look like an utter joke. What the hell was Biden thinking by hiring that idiot for the job when it should belong to a far more ruthless person?
Isn’t NY AG Letitia James aggressively pursuing Trump. Are you thinking of the NYC DA?

RedDevilQuebecois

Isn’t NY AG Letitia James aggressively pursuing Trump. Are you thinking of the NYC DA?
I was thinking of Merrick Garland. Letitia James is one person, but her jurisdiction remains limited with the State of New York.

My point is that Biden's pick for AG should have been one of Doug Jones, Preet Bharara or Sally Yates. Regardless, it is a position that should belong to a relentless or even ruthless person at the wheel. Garland thinks too much like a politician when the last thing people want as the AG is a politician by heart.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I was thinking of Merrick Garland. Letitia James is one person, but her jurisdiction remains limited with the State of New York.

My point is that Biden's pick for AG should have been one of Doug Jones, Preet Bharara or Sally Yates. Regardless, it is a position that should belong to a relentless or even ruthless person at the wheel. Garland thinks too much like a politician when the last thing people want as the AG is a politician by heart.
Gotcha. Yes, he is quite milquetoast.

SirAF

Ageist
Not holding my breath, but might as well post this.

RedDevilQuebecois

Not holding my breath, but might as well post this.

At the end of the day, the ball is in the court of the DOJ.

God, I swear that the entire corps of US federal prosecutors need to watch back and fecking learn from their South Korean counterparts when they investigated and arrested everyone involved in the 2016 South Korea political scandal. They were relentless and ruthless enough to bring a President down only 5 months after the scandal became public. The so-called "smoking gun" was an abandoned Samsung tablet computer that contained 44 drafts of presidential speeches and that belonged to a person whom US diplomats described as a "Korean Rasputin."

GDaly95

Enjoying a book at the minute called 'How civil wars start' by Barbara F Walter.

Recommend. Available on audible.