Music 2021 in music

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
New year, new music, new thread.

The first release of 2021 I've heard is by Molly Burch (who I haven't heard of before) featuring Wild Nothing (who I love). It's a funky enough track to add to one of my playlists.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
All new music is rubbish. Or there isn't any. I'll only be listening to Bob Dildo this year.

Seriously though, I have no idea what is due out from bands I like this year. I need to start having a look, once the breaded cheese hangover ends.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Massive shame. Hugely influential figure on the current pop landscape. Charli XCX's superb recent albums alone are reason enough to praise her influence, imo. Plus there's the fact that high-profile trans artists are so rare, so presumably influential in that regard too.

Her debut solo album was an avant-pop classic. Not obvious mainstream appeal (despite being grammy nominated) but again, important in influence and sound. Very simply, a lot of less talented people will make a lot more money copying the type of hyper-kinetic, hyper-artificial noise she made.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Salt Bailly

Godspeed You! Black Emperor have just released a new album called 'G_d's Pee AT STATES END!'

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Listening to the new Dry Cleaning album, my ability to engage with it is hampered by how increasingly jaded I am by the sheer number of Fall-influenced, sprechgesang-y post-punk bands that are knocking about.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

One of the better of the slew of post-punk albums around atm. Ripping off early Talking Heads > ripping off The Fall.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Miraculously I'm actually listening to new music released this year for the first time in what feels like a decade

I've recently enjoy:

Origami Angel - Gami Gang... very fun emo/pop that has quite a bit going on in it.

Manchester Orchestra - The Million Masks of God... Never been hugely into Manchester Orchestra, but really enjoy this.

Hot Mulligan - I won't reach out to you EP... good little emo/pop-punk EP.

Teenage Wrist - Earth is a Black Hole... it sometimes ventures into middle of the road stuff, but overall its a decent rock record with some big solid riffs.

Nickosaur

New Wolf Alice album out today. Gave it a listen this morning and it sounds pretty great.

Averaging 97 (!) on metacritic too right now. Potential AOTY?

stu_1992

Haven't enjoyed too much of stuff that I was excited about this year so far. However Tyler, The Creator seemed to start his album rollout yesterday with a billboard teasing something so I'll be very hyped for that. I like a lot his stuff, but his most recent album, Igor, was one of my favourites in years.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Haven't enjoyed too much of stuff that I was excited about this year so far. However Tyler, The Creator seemed to start his album rollout yesterday with a billboard teasing something so I'll be very hyped for that. I like a lot his stuff, but his most recent album, Igor, was one of my favourites in years.
Yeah I fecking love Tyler. Flower Boy is one of my favourite albums.