2021 Sheep Draft QF - Sjor Bepo vs. Chesterlestreet

With players at career peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz

Sjor Bepo

Central Core
Fenomeno can take anyone to the cleaners but if i had to pick a pair to play against him id probably go with this two, two absolute monsters physically and athletically backed with great defensive nous.
Laudrup at number 10, great foundations behind him, graft and selflessness around him backed with lovely footballing ability. See no reason for him to not be in his element.
Tevez up front, will probably get zero love as per usual and tbf when you look at paper you see him against Kaiser who is 10 times the player he is and tbf 10 times 90% of the players on the pitch are but i can actually see Tevez giving him some problems with his physical game and while Kaiser is probably the best under pressure defender ever, its different doing your thing against your average strikers(work rate wise) and someone that will harass you non stop. Not saying Kaiser would be stop but at least Tevez would be able to limit a bit his impact.

Lefties
Katanec joining in as an inverted fullback, has a good record against elite dribblers(Maradona hated playing against him), comfortable playing anywhere on the left defensive side + it will give a lot of freedom to Davids to play his natural game which is press as a motherfecker and join in attacks. Villa as an inside left, Pep IFs were famous for holding out width until the final third and then doing their bits which works perfectly with someone like Davids who can then stretch the play from the left.

Right
Non conventional role for Lucho but he would be a great fullback given his talents. Is playing in a very attacking role but his defensive side shouldnt be underestimated, remember watching United Barca from 99 where Giggs was having a field day in the first half, Lucho moved to that side in the second half and Giggs was nowhere to be seen while Lucho was head and shoulders best Barcelona player. Anyways, should work well with someone like Nedved and they also have Schweini in the holding role.

Chesterlestreet

GK: CLEMENCE
RB: GERETS (balanced)
CB: BECKENBAUER (offensive/playmaker)
CB: COSTACURTA (conservative)
LB: FACCHETTI (offensive)
DM/CM: DUNGA (conservative)
CM/DM: v. HANEGEM (balanced)
AM: RIVERA (playmaker)
RW/RWF: LITTBARSKI (cuts inside to some extent)
LW/LMF: ZAGALLO (tracks back, moves into the middle to some extent)
CF: Ronaldo (line leader)

COMMENTS: Feel that I have replaced Schwarzenbeck (injured) well with Costacurta (classic bloody good sidekick replaced with another classic bloody good sidekick) - and that I have significantly upgraded Nelinho with Gerets, who is much more solid defensively and a better player allround.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
One thing which may need a bit of clarification: That arrow on Littbarski doesn't mean that he'll constantly cut inside and play as more of a forward than a winger. It just reflects that he isn't a traditional line hugging winger - he's more of a "free role" type of winger, who will drift a bit (and who also constitutes a bit of a goal threat).

But he will play here as a decidedly lateral player - not some kind of winger/forward hybrid. If he's a hybrid, he'd be a winger/free roaming AM hybrid - but with emphasis on the winger part.

ETA He wasn't a super prolific player in terms of goal scoring - but his numbers are actually pretty decent.

The highlight vid below mainly showcases his extreme dribbling ability (which is - obviously - his main claim to fame) - but there's also a fair amount of examples there of his finishing ability: he had a mean shot on him.

Last edited:

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Was physically painful for me to vote for Sjor Bepo. How can a Feyenoord fan vote against "the crooked one"!?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
How can a Feyenoord fan vote against "the crooked one"!?
He should be pleased that I replaced Schwarzenbeck with Costacurta, though - just two Germans in the side now!

ETA By "he" I mean the crooked one himself - of course - not "a Feyenoord fan", i.e. you.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Would Lucha make a better fullback than Cucureddu?
One played as one while other didnt so im perfectly fine if people having an issue with it but as an attacking fullback id take Lucho any day of the week, specially considering whats around him(great defensive unit, Schweini as holder, Nedved in front).

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
One played as one while other didnt so im perfectly fine if people having an issue with it but as an attacking fullback id take Lucho any day of the week, specially considering whats around him(great defensive unit, Schweini as holder, Nedved in front).
https://footballia.net/matches/fc-barcelona-cd-logrones

I've found one match on footballia where Luis Enrique played at RB and Barca won 8-0. If we extrapolate this to every match ever, real or draft, then you've just pulled the greatest stroke of genius in draft history.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Interesting match up. I don't know much about Katanec but Sjor's side is really slick and picks the best version of Bastian for his system. Rio and Stam are also two very quick CBs who are a great pair up against R9.

Chester's side is though brimming with creativity. The only part that stands out a but is Gerets at RB. I would normally want a more defensive presence next to the Der Kaiser.

On the fence at the moment.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He played quite often at RB for Barcelona so I’ve got no issues with it. Good fit there.

Šjor Bepo

Interesting match up. I don't know much about Katanec
few times now that i picked him, wanted to make compilations for ages but fecker was so average looking that this task becomes almost impossible for me, maybe @Joga Bonito or @harms can do one :D
Anyways, proper team player that will play any defensive role with ease but is also very comfortable in midfield. Good football brain, great defensive wise and pretty mobile and nimble with his long legs which made him very good against low center of gravity players.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
:lol:
beam warned you all.....
:lol: He wasn't wrong! It helps that all the outfield players are modern but it's so easy seeing that team being an utter pain in the balls to play against. You mentioned it in the OP but personally I've hated it when I face Beckenbauer in a draft match and don't have an attacker who can credibly close him down and stop him from doing what he wants in the build up - doesn't really get much better than Tevez in that regard. Still edging towards Chester due to that GOAT quality of Kaiser and Beckenbauer (and my well known fetish for Wim and Dunga) but will hold off voting for a bit as it's a close one.

Šjor Bepo

:lol: He wasn't wrong! It helps that all the outfield players are modern but it's so easy seeing that team being an utter pain in the balls to play against. You mentioned it in the OP but personally I've hated it when I face Beckenbauer in a draft match and don't have an attacker who can credibly close him down and stop him from doing what he wants in the build up - doesn't really get much better than Tevez in that regard. Still edging towards Chester due to that GOAT quality of Kaiser and Beckenbauer (and my well known fetish for Wim and Dunga) but will hold off voting for a bit as it's a close one.
so good you named him twice:drool:
GOAT <3

Šjor Bepo

Did you abandon it due to Laudrup or was there some other reason?
Laudrup and opposition, playing a high press high line against Ronaldo and Kaiser makes only sense if you have all players working hard and if you can dominate possession a fair bit - both things went out of the window with Xavi injury.

Also on the more open pitch in the offensive transition Laudrup gets even more value with his ability to find pockets, dance through the line and cut the back 4 with his passing.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Laudrup and opposition, playing a high press high line against Ronaldo and Kaiser makes only sense if you have all players working hard and if you can dominate possession a fair bit - both things went out of the window with Xavi injury.
Yeah, that's why I was asking as well. Would be hard to completely choke the oppo buildup against Beckenbauer & that CM, and if the press is overplayed, Rivera/Ronaldo is a deadly combination against a high line.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The only part that stands out a but is Gerets at RB. I would normally want a more defensive presence next to the Der Kaiser.
Someone who's an undoubted beast defensively would've been ideal - no doubt. I would've liked an offensive (Facchetti) + defensive (someone like Thuram, say) combo myself - but an "offensive" + "balanced" combo is still better than "offensive + offensive". *

Also - the point I made in the last match: Beckenbauer is pretty much ideal in terms of reading when to move up the pitch, and when to - simply - hold. He won't bomb forward automatically and per default, as it were.

As I see it, Beckenbauer's offensive qualities is more of a bonus for me in this setup - I don't absolutely need him to push up and be a creative presence further up the pitch. I have both Rivera (obviously) and also WVH (fantastic passer) to pull strings and set things into motion.

ETA One could perhaps say that Beckenbauer's importance here would amount to this: when he does get the chance to operate in his ideal libero capacity, he could very well be the deciding factor - in terms of overloading the midfield and creating just that imbalance I need to create something very dangerous. The question isn't so much whether he'd be able to freely push up all the time (being absolutely covered) - but rather whether he'd be able to do that at just the right time(s). And I think he would be able to make an impact in that regard.

* I'm referring to Nelinho here - compared to Gerets, who I consider a clear upgrade both generally and in terms of how this particular setup would work.

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Chester’s defence has excellent potential but still feels a slight bit off balance wise. Initially I felt moving Kaiser to the left might make it better but wasn’t keen on Van Hanegem and Kaiser on the same side.

Gerets and Littbarski looks a really tasty flank and so does Zagallo/Facchetti.

If I was to change anything going ahead (if he wins), I’d move Kaiser to the midfield and try to land a goat CB. The team has great balance in the front 6 to give Kaiser a platform to excel from midfield.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If I was to change anything going ahead (if he wins), I’d move Kaiser to the midfield and try to land a goat CB. The team has great balance in the front 6 to give Kaiser a platform to excel from midfield.
That's an interesting idea - I'd love to use Beckers as a midfielder, actually.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
A CM combo of Van Hanegem and Beckenbauer would be extremely interesting - for all sorts of reasons.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Just because I love to watch this fecker move about with a ball at his feet, another Littbarski compilation:

He really deserves a place among the absolute greatest tricksters of all time. A combination of sheer technique/skill (look at how he receives a pass - whether it's high or low - and how the ball really is, as they say, glued to his foot) and body feints. And - anticipation, how he dances away from his man at just the right time.

Also interesting to note that he - like all tricksters - occasionally overdoes it: he can't help himself, he has to pull the trick rather than releasing the ball...but would you want him to keep it simple? Of course you wouldn't - and he usually gets away with it.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

congrats @Chesterlestreet , love the team and also echo the thoughts of maybe moving Kaiser in the middle as you dont really want a offensive fullback next to him and you have 2 of the top ones.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
congrats @Chesterlestreet , love the team and also echo the thoughts of maybe moving Kaiser in the middle as you dont really want a offensive fullback next to him and you have 2 of the top ones.
Thanks, mate.

You did very well here, in my opinion, composing a well balanced XI. I had a GOAT advantage, though - for once (I'm usually lacking in that department, but this has been a strange draft).

And - yeah, again, Beckenbauer in midfield...I have to consider that seriously.

But then again - I've been too lucky ever since that round where I picked up that fecker (and Ronaldo). So - prepared for a Kaiser injury now.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Absolutely love that team of Chester and front 5. It has class on the ball (Rivera), distribution and screening from the deep (Dunga), all around presence from Van Hanegem and then hard working wingers of Zagallo on the left and an absolute live wire in Littbarski on the right with Il Fenomeno upfront.

In short, it has a bit of everything. Not sure that it gets that much better with Beckenbauer in midfield as for me it looks perfectly balanced. Maybe I would consider going in another direction.

As for bepo and in general, feck the injuries. Not sure why are you even going with them, but if most of you are happy...
Most likely, it still wouldn't be enough though.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Compliments to you as well Bepo.

I didn't comment on your team as I wasn't aware of Katenac and Luis Enrique in the roles.

But as I said in the last game, I appreciate the freshness you bring, even to the boring 4231

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
In short, it has a bit of everything. Not sure that it gets that much better with Beckenbauer in midfield as for me it looks perfectly balanced. Maybe I would consider going in another direction.
Yeah, maybe not a bad idea to keep him playing from deep with so much playmaking ability in midfield.

Šjor Bepo

Compliments to you as well Bepo.

I didn't comment on your team as I wasn't aware of Katenac and Luis Enrique in the roles.

But as I said in the last game, I appreciate the freshness you bring, even to the boring 4231
cheers mane

Šjor Bepo

btw im sure im in minority but i dont really like Fenomeno as lone striker, he can do it no questions asked and on a very high level but for me he is at his best when he can roam around freely.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
btw im sure im in minority but i dont really like Fenomeno as lone striker, he can do it no questions asked and on a very high level but for me he is at his best when he can roam around freely.
Yes. 100% true. He likes to drop deep and dribble. In modern football he would be a left sided wide forward. I will always though prefer him as a second-striker I'm a front two.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Re: Ronaldo

I think it's implied that when you field him as the nominal CF, he'll simply do what he normally did (in his prime) - which involves a lot of movement both on and off the ball.

I mean, you don't expect him to stay put on the offside line as a pure box player - but, again, for me that's implied.

In a more detailed description of his actual role, you'd obviously mention this - but I didn't think that was necessary here.

Enigma_87

You know who
Think that's given with all modern day #9's. There's a lot more that they need to bring to the attack rather than play the old fashioned 'lone striker' role.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Don't really have a fixed opinion on Ronaldo as lone #9.

But taking Sjor's point at face value, it probably depends on who plays on the wings. If they're forwards who regularly seek out goalscoring positions, R9 has more freedom to drop, roam and interchange. In this case, with Zagallo and Littbarski, I think I can see what Sjor is getting at.

But as I said, I'm not too sure myself here.