2021 Sheep Draft R1 - Isotope vs. BorisDeLeFora

With players at career peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Maldini (senior) in the same role. And Suarez as a left winger. You wouldn't play Maldini as a DM - and definitely not Suarez as a left winger - in a draft.

Again - this is NOT about Germano specifically. It just shows that you can't rely on this sort of thing as a reliable source on the details plane. It's a very good indication that Maldini and Suarez were brilliant players - but a very poor indication that they would be grand choices for the DM and LW positions (in any kind of setup), respectively.

ETA You probably wouldn't want to sell Kopa as a straight-ass right winger either - but there you go.
Maldini has actually played as DM. He's quite comfortable on the ball and reports say he advanced out of defence frequently. So as a centre halfback in 2-3-5, I don't see any problems.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Batty used to stick Luis Suárez, the Inter version, as an outside left :lol:
I wouldn't use him as a source for tactical insight.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Batty used to stick Luis Suárez, the Inter version, as an outside left :lol:
I wouldn't use him as a source for tactical insight.
I don't think his idea was to make it tactically suitable as well. I am assuming he was trying to fit 11 of the best players from the years and it was obviously an attack heavy era.

Even now if you create a thread here and ask people to post their favorite 11 of something (modern or historical), many would go with 5 attackers.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Maldini has actually played as DM. He's quite comfortable on the ball and reports say he advanced out of defence frequently. So as a centre halfback in 2-3-5, I don't see any problems.
Yeah, but you wouldn't use him in a 2-3-5 in a draft, would you? Because you wouldn't opt for a 2-3-5 in the first place, for obvious reasons.

The (possible) fact that he wouldn't look out of place as a CH in a 2-3-5 is irrelevant. The question is how plausible he'd be as a DM in any kind of formation likely to be used in a draft.

If any kind of - what? - pre-70s CB who's "comfortable on the ball" is considered a plausible DM, then why not introduce, say, Rio Ferdinand as a DM in the draft context?

I'm sure he played once or twice as a nominal DM too (if not for United, then maybe for West Ham or Leeds).

Monti (to bring him up again) is a plausible DM because a) his default position is a hybrid one (or could be regarded as such, at least) and b) his individual traits suggest that he's suitable for the role.

A standard central defender in the 1960s is not comparable to a centre half in the 1930s, though - tactically, positionally, and so forth...that role has changed dramatically.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Khoren Hovannisyan randomly showing up for the 85 team when he'd been banned almost the entire year already on a dubious match fixing charge. Brilliant.

harms

Staff
I don't think his idea was to make it tactically suitable as well. I am assuming he was trying to fit 11 of the best players from the years and it was obviously an attack heavy era.

Even now if you create a thread here and ask people to post their favorite 11 of something (modern or historical), many would go with 5 attackers.
I don't know. He certainly tries most of the time, but I think sometimes he put players in based on reputation alone without watching them (which is understandable, considering the lack of worldwide TV) and it shows from time to time. I mean, he usually sticks with Garrincha/Gento as outside right/left and uses strikers and inside-forwards quite well when we look at his teams from the 60's.

harms

Staff
So his baffling tactical formations, unusual player and positional choices and radical dispensation of wingers and full-backs could either be interpreted as Eric’s idea of the radical surgery needed to shock a dying game back into life, or a recognition there was nothing he could do to revive it – so why not morbidly defile the corpse instead.
:lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
:lol: . Didn't know football would be 'dying' in the 60s.

Anyway. Thanks for the gamesmanship @BorisDeLeFora . There's none of bickering of players between us.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Final score 0-0

BorisDeLeFora better team compared to the previous game

Would have gone for Iso whose team is offensively more diversified