2021 Sheep Draft R1 - Kazi vs. Edgar Allan Pillow

With players at career peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz

Kazi

Team

Ronald Koeman
and Alessandro Costacurta join forces to create a formidable centre-back pairing. Between them, all aspects of a successful partnership are covered; Koeman with his excellent anticipation and unmatched ability on the ball, Costacurta with his tenaciousness and smart man-marking abilities. The great Karl-Heinz Schnellinger (aka the Volkswagen) provides further defensive stability on the left side of defence, while Eric Gerets will have the freedom to bomb forward down the other side. They are all secured by the very solid Stipe Pletikosa (114 caps for Croatia) behind them in goal.

Matthias Sammer (1996 Ballon d’Or winner) will be anchoring the midfield, always posing the risk of delivering a hammer from outside of the box. Duncan Edwards and Toninho Cerezo will be marshalling the midfield either side of Sammer. While they have contrasting styles, both are renowned for their stamina and tireless work-rate. Duncan Edwards will further establish the team’s authority on the pitch and can cover for Gerets down the right when the latter joins the attack. While Cerezo will use his playmaking skills to orchestrate attacks, linking up with Milan legend Nils Liedholm in the attacking phase.

Liedholm will be licking his lips with Omar Sivori (1961 Ballon d'Or winner) and Sandor Kocsis (75 goals in 68 games for Hungary) making up the front line. Both of whom are playing in their favoured positions; Sivori at inside left and Kocsis at inside right. Before Messi, there was Sivori – he will drop off to find space in pockets and out wide, dribbling at the backline with his wand of a left foot. Kocsis (best head in Europe after Churchill) will lead the line, ready to eat up on the dishes served by the creators behind him.

Key points vs EAP

- Can EAP handle my fast intricate build up play?
I’m not 100% sure on how EAP will set up, but I have a hunch that my team will have a lot of success between his defence and midfield. EAP's team may struggle to handle the quick 'pass and move' attacks between Sivori, Liedholm and Cerezo

- Limited space for EAP’s playmakers – I would say that the major strength EAP’s team are his playmakers. However, I would also say that my team is well equipped to deal with the likes of Cruyff and Totti given the intelligence, strength and authority I have in those areas, particularly with Sammer and Edwards

Edgar Allan Pillow

Formation:
WM / 3-2-2-3

Tactics - Defence:

- Gilmar mans the goal. One of the best Brazilian GKs of all time. An excellent shot stopper with excellent reflexes and a leader of the backline.

- No introduction needed for Paolo Maldini and Tarcisio Burgnich. No nonsense top notch defenders who have played as full backs and centre backs and highly suited to the defensive side back role for this formation.

- Cesare Maldini was one of the best Sweeper/CB of his generation. Physically strong, excellent on the ball and know for his reading of the game, distribution of the ball and overall defensive astuteness, he'll command this defence.

- Fernando Hierro and Uli Stielike are versatile players in defence who are comfortable both as DMs and CBs. Both are well rounded with Heirro's passing complimenting Stielike's all action game. Hierro will be the more defensive of the duo and will look to move the ball from the deep with his passing skills. Stielike will be a bit more aggressive and will move up when we have the ball to support the attack.

Tactics - Attack:

- Johan Cruyff and Ruud Gullit are GOAT players who will get involved in all phases of the game, be it dropping deep to orchestrate play or moving up to score themselves.

- Paco Gento and Amancio Amaro are Top Notch players in their respective positions and will bring pace, creativity and ball carrying ability to the attack. Good at stretching play and opening spaces for others, or assisting with a cross themselves.

- Francesco Totti will reprise a False 9 version of himself. His vision, creativity, pace and movement will be the perfect foil to bring the rest of attack together and elevate them to more than sum of parts.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Totti is not the right player for that setup. Other than that, looks spot on.

Kazi

Was not expecting that. But now that I’ve seen it on paper, I probably should have.

I do feel that a lot of EAP’s attacks can be kept in front of my backline with the way he has set up and his personnel

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Totti is not the right player for that setup. Other than that, looks spot on.
It does look like he could do with a proper 9 instead of Totti but it still looks awesome. Also having Gullit does give him some aerial threat that he would want.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Both teams are really well set up. Not always a fan of the WM because it is so vulnerable in transition, but this is as strong an execution of the shape as I’ve seen. Kazi makes some good points around the intricacy of the build up play. I’d maybe have swapped Edwards and Cerezo but it’s minor stuff really. More of a tactical battle given the contrast in shapes.

GodShaveTheQueen

Why? I would put Cruyff up also, but just curious why Totti isn't the right player.
Totti's Roma false 9 gig had runners all around him. He did score goals but that wasn't his primary job.

This team already not only has Cruyff/Gullit, but also Gento/Amaro who are a very different proposition and offer a lot more avenues.

To tie it all up together, you need a constant presence up front to slot it in. Someone complete enough to score all kind of goals.

You don't need another player to exchange positions and add to the permutations.

To be honest, I am not a fan of Gento in that team as well. Would much rather have Dzajic who is on the bench I think.

Dzajic like Cruyff was a roamer and while both would want the ball, the inter play could be awesome.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Totti's Roma false 9 gig had runners all around him. He did score goals but that wasn't his primary job.

This team already not only has Cruyff/Gullit, but also Gento/Amaro who are a very different proposition and offer a lot more avenues.

To tie it all up together, you need a constant presence up front to slot it in. Someone complete enough to score all kind of goals.

You don't need another player to exchange positions and add to the permutations.

To be honest, I am not a fan of Gento in that team as well. Would much rather have Dzajic who is on the bench I think.

Dzajic like Cruyff was a roamer and while both would want the ball, the inter play could be awesome.
Solid explanation and I have nothing against it, until you got to Gento/Dzajic part. There is nothing between them to suggest Dzajic could do a better job then Gento. Quite the opposite.

But, matter of personal preference I guess. Only that you didn't see the version of Dzajic stuck in the mud of Mostar against Velez.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
btw, Edgar and me supposed to be together (in the end we didn't, but I saw his idea, tactics and everything from the start). So, my vote doesn't count as I saw all his picks. Cheers.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

I think the fact Gento is less inclined to cut inside works better in this formation. Interplay between Dzajic and Cruyff could be great in a more structurally sound shape, but if they wander, then who the hell covers that big feck-off space, that 40 yards ahead of Maldini?

His pace too gives Edgar a chance to play in Kazi's half, because they have to drop off to protect against it, and you really need a WM to have the ball as much as possible.

GodShaveTheQueen

There is nothing between them to suggest Dzajic could do a better job then Gento. Quite the opposite.
I think the fact Gento is less inclined to cut inside works better in this formation
For me Gento and Cruyff are wavelengths apart in terms of style of play. Wouldn't be in my top 10 choices for the LW role with Cruyff

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Nice team, Kazi!

I do feel this matchup favours me because:

Tactically

- Due to its inherant narrowness, his attack will play in front of my defense. I can stay compact and squeeze space. Nothing to stretch my defense or create openings.

- WM matches the Diamond in midfield strength and neutralizes one of it's biggest advantages.

Personnel-wise:

- Not a fan of Sammer at DM, more with Koeman behind.

- Left flank width - Would have preferred a more attacking LB than Schnellinger who in my research came across as a defensive player, more like a Side CB.

Kazi

I agree, it would have been nice to have a more offensive minded left back.

I think Gerets will be quite key for my team, and in this match-up particularly. I see one of my big routes to goal coming via Gerets bombing down the right and crossing in for Kocsis’ head. Edwards is on the right of the diamond for exactly that reason - to give Gerets to freedom to do this.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I agree, it would have been nice to have a more offensive minded left back.

I think Gerets will be quite key for my team, and in this match-up particularly. I see one of my big routes to goal coming via Gerets bombing down the right and crossing in for Kocsis’ head. Edwards is on the right of the diamond for exactly that reason - to give Gerets to freedom to do this.
Fair point. The flip side of it is...having Gento there, gives me advantage of exploiting the space behind attacking Gerets. In a counter, when you lose possession, a quick pass would spring him and open and he has blistering pace to keep ahead of Gerets coming back. Between Gento and Cruyff I have enough potential to turn this opportunity into goals. Edwards sure will help, but I just don't see him drifting wide too much as it leaves space open centrally.

@Ecstatic Did you delete your posts? :lol:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Fair point. The flip side of it is...having Gento there, gives me advantage of exploiting the space behind attacking Gerets. In a counter, when you lose possession, a quick pass would spring him and open and he has blistering pace to keep ahead of Gerets coming back. Between Gento and Cruyff I have enough potential to turn this opportunity into goals. Edwards sure will help, but I just don't see him drifting wide too much as it leaves space open centrally.

@Ecstatic Did you delete your posts? :lol:
Yes, I did. :) I was curious to know if people would notice it.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Yes, I did. :) I was curious to know if people would notice it.
I did. Just to cover your deleted points. For me, Koeman is excellent in distributing from the deep. Some of his long passes bypassing the midfield completely is quite lethal on the counter. I'd have thought facing 2 GOAT #10s, opponent's team could be more balanced with a pivot DM who can shield. Koeman, Cerezo and Edwards provide a lot of passing and moving up, so having Sammer too bombing up isn't really needed. But it certainly would make imbalanced due to lack of complementary attributes.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I did. Just to cover your deleted points. For me, Koeman is excellent in distributing from the deep. Some of his long passes bypassing the midfield completely is quite lethal on the counter. I'd have thought facing 2 GOAT #10s, opponent's team could be more balanced with a pivot DM who can shield. Koeman, Cerezo and Edwards provide a lot of passing and moving up, so having Sammer too bombing up isn't really needed. But it certainly would make imbalanced due to lack of complementary attributes.
If I think about the successful Dortmund in the mid 90s, I would see the midfielders Sousa/Lambert, then creative players like Andreas Moller and Chapuisat!
In some way, I view Sammer as the most dynamic B2B, the central force in the Kazi midfield

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That combination of players could have easily been an absolute clusterfeck for EAP - but he's done well to compose what looks like a very plausible XI.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Both teams are really well set up. Not always a fan of the WM because it is so vulnerable in transition, but this is as strong an execution of the shape as I’ve seen. Kazi makes some good points around the intricacy of the build up play.
Think I'll address this a bit more. The key advantage I have is versatility of the players:
+ All of Hierro/Stielike/Cruyff/Gullit/Totti can drop back defensively so team can maintain the shape and triangles defensively.
+ Cesare/Maldini/Stielike all have on-the-ball ability to bring the ball out of defence or make that key first pass for a quick counter.

In a defensive phase, depending on which flank to ball is in, one of Stielike/Hierro will drop back making it a flat 4 with other playing DM shielding. Both of them have enough on-the-ball ability to bring the ball out when we recover. Both Cruyff and Gullit regularly drop deep to orchestrate play, so there won't be much gap to bridge. A quick pass and hard working wingers like Gento/Amaro will find space out wide to cross or pass back to Cruyff/Gullit who can thread a needle there. Totti himself will drop back so the team maintains sync.

if I had someone like Puskas or Rivaldo up top, I can understand the widening of gap due to their defensive workrate, but with this set of players, that is reduced to minimum.