2021 Sheep Draft SF - Chesterlestreet vs. Ecstatic

With players at career peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Interesting points. I am preparing the replies and explain further how I see the dynamics.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I mean it's almost like a 4-4-2 with a withdrawn SS. . I'm not saying it's not a good setup - it is. Just that I feel you could have thrown in one more forward since it's a Platini team and he's played in exactly those sort of conditions at his best.
Your comments are perfectly fair I agree it is almost like a 4-4-2 with a withdrawn SS. I don't suggest Platini would be the equivalent of Mark Hughes, Yorke or even Cantona.
I do count Platini as one of your main attackers, but the team setup is really defensive. Just that I feel you could have thrown in one more forward since it's a Platini team and he's played in exactly those sort of conditions at his best.
Really defensive is a bit harsh even if a typical Ferguson team is more offensive. Platini didn't play for very offensive teams when I think about the offensive quatuor.
  • France 1982: Giresse, Platini, Six, Rocheteau
  • France 1984: Giresse, Platini, Lacombe, Bellone
  • Juventus 1985 : European Cup final

• France 1986: Giresse, Platini,Stopyra, Rocheteau

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I do get your point about Giggsy, but he's not a forward so the general position he'd occupy is deeper and towards the left.
The goals scored by Giggsy below are interesting because

(1) you can see the support striker in a withdrawn position (Cantona) at the start of the action
(2) you can imagine @Chesterlestreet has a great team so the team needs to capable to counter-attack when under pressure

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Anyway - gotta drink now.
@Ecstatic I love how you have incorporated Beckham and Giggs - and I love your back four (big fan of Junior, as mentioned before). I also love the fact that Kaka is gone - didn't mention it last time, but I'm not big on Kaka...I think he's somewhat overrated for one thing, and he's obviously hard to use 100% right too.
See you tomorrow - will check on how it turned out, but I can probably congratulate you here and now. Well played, at any rate - well played.
Cheers. As you can see, I am not in a position to find something negative about your team.

Kudos for incorporating Beckenbauer in midfield despite the fact you know people are generally conservative.

Do you live in a coutry where it is possible to have a drink outside?

Think Ecstatic has over-engineered his team a bit.
Junior/Breitner are two very similar players and on the same flank, they offer something overlapping rather than complementary.
Having Beckham kinda pushed Tigana into a holding role. Not that he can't do it, but really that's not using his peak skills.

As to Pat, nothing to complain about his team. Like the '66 version of Kaiser. Not sure why he picked up Masopust when he already had van Hanegem. Probably could have tried for a #10 upgrade.

Despite the above the sheer abundance of opportunity creating players and that super solid defence kinda edges it for Ecstatic.
True that Junior and Breitner can play both LB and CM. I need to rewatch a Brazil 1982 game but believe this would work.

There were no potential #10 upgrade in the reinforcement for Chester unfortunately.

I'd still expect Platini to pop up all over midfield too, from what I've seen he just had a strong allround presence everywhere.
So true.

That said Breitner and Tigana don't seem a 100% clean partnership either although having more of a hardworking midfield four makes it work better.
I view Breitner as more adventurous/offensive/organising B2B compared to Tigana. I don't expect them to drive the team, more as support players

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Ecstatic

Great Giggs vids but do you know whether he played centrally in any of those games? It's hard to see who else is playing. He played more centrally than he is given credit for

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Chester's pack-shuffling is interesting but seems sideways-manoeuvring and squad-bolstering rather than taking that next step forward. Still, like the addition of Finney there - offers some more punch and variety to draw the attention away from although I think I'd still want another big hitter in that attack and defensive lines. The Chumpitaz/Costacurta partnership is spot on and I really don't see them conceding space to Shevchenko here. That said, he has a cracking set-up behind him, and it's a really true 4-4-1-1 from Ecstatic. I like the commitment to midfield control, bit of a sucker for the extra midfielder there in place of another shiny forward.
The philosophical question is also spot on too.

If I play against West Bromwish Albion Football Club, then I can easily replace Platini by a more advanced player. And Ronaldo and Schevchenko would very probably prefer to play with another striker or advanced support striker, i.e. a partner in crime.

Also, I won't oversell Beckham as he won't be the Jairzinho or Cristiano Ronaldo version Euro 2004 looking for a duel with Fachetti.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I see Beckham as a collective player more interested in delivering crosses and passes, than a dribbler who will systematically make fun of Fachetti.
i know, just couldnt resist:wenger:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Chester's pack-shuffling is interesting but seems sideways-manoeuvring and squad-bolstering rather than taking that next step forward. Still, like the addition of Finney there - offers some more punch and variety to draw the attention away from although I think I'd still want another big hitter in that attack and defensive lines. The Chumpitaz/Costacurta partnership is spot on and I really don't see them conceding space to Shevchenko here. That said, he has a cracking set-up behind him, and it's a really true 4-4-1-1 from Ecstatic. I like the commitment to midfield control, bit of a sucker for the extra midfielder there in place of another shiny forward.
Pretty much my thoughts. Looked like the team didn't went to another level so much, while I liked changes that ecstatic made as before I had some doubts about Kaka/Platini partnership (not so big and think it is workable) while here I have none.

Would prefer if Beckenbauer stayed in defense or if Chester decided to go 4-4-2 with Beckenbauer - Masopust (or VH) midfield adding another striker alongside Ronaldo. Think it would be more fitting especially considering the opposition tactics.

Harsh result in any case.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Junior/Breitner are two very similar players and on the same flank, they offer something overlapping rather than complementary.
They're not by the way if it's the 1980's Breitner. And even in terms of their left back they are kinda similar in terms that both of them liked to cut inside, but even then they were very different in what they were doing next.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
They're not by the way if it's the 1980's Breitner. And even in terms of their left back they are kinda similar in terms that both of them liked to cut inside, but even then they were very different in what they were doing next.
Between Junior and Tigana, I'd have preferred someone who can stay deep and hold shape. Or at least if Tigana is going to be the deepest midfield, then swap him and Breitner.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Ecstatic

Great Giggs vids but do you know whether he played centrally in any of those games? It's hard to see who else is playing. He played more centrally than he is given credit for
Yeah, as you can see below, he was
- the 2nd best scorer in 92/93
- the 3rd best scorer in 93/94, and
- the 5th best scorer in 94/95

1992/93

Charity Shield

1993/94 - Duo Cantona/Hughes

1994/95 - Duo Hughes with Cantona/Cole

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_United_F.C._9–0_Ipswich_Town_F.C.